You ever play in a game (or run one) where all the PCs are part of the same family?

You ever play in a game (or run one) where all the PCs are part of the same family?

I think it could be fun.

I don't think i'd enjoy it.

Unless it was an ERP.

Families aren't fun.

Family bonds are useful for bringing players together, for example making everyone cousins. That's about it.

In my Dragonlance game one of the characters is my bastard older brother, another is my cousin, and the last is our family's dwarf-at-arms who practically raised us. It's a ton of fun.

>my character's bastard older brother.

Yeah, I ran a campaign in which all eight (yes, eight, FML) players were brothers. Made the backstory pretty damn easy to work with.

The plot involved their father's former adventuring party; specifically one of them who turned traitor and sold out national secrets to Thay (this was in Forgotten Realms, obviously), putting their father (a rogue/former spy) and their family in danger.

Yeah. Well sort of, it turned out we all shared the same mother, the sort-of BBEG.

I had a campaign where two players had characters that were brothers.

One ended up dying in a firefight, so the other went full jihad and blew himself up to save the rest of the party.

Oh and, we played an Ice and Fire game where we were all the same house and mostly all related. My character was one of two who weren't related to the family, but still was considered among them.

My group did that once. I was the only one who acted that way though. I played a Martyr-style Paladin who put family first, but the two I played with went full murderhobo and seemed to despise any mention of family and resented any attempts on my part to help them.

The most popular modern fantasy setting in the world right now features a bastard with siblings; please don't tell me you can't figure it out.

I'm running a short-term Blades in the Dark campaign where all the characters/gangmembers are related.
Cousins and siblings, no parental relation though.

I'm not a very experienced GM, so it's not been very relevant so far.

Current campaign I'm in usually has to deal with players wanting to kill off characters to use better ones or just bad luck doing them in. Current rotation for some people includes:
>One Elf Ranger who is the direct son of the deity we're having to help in the campaign (They were around pre-godhood, however.)
>Two Changelings, one Rogue and one an Executioner Assassin, who are unknown bastard children to said deity (No one knows how it came to be, even the deity is confused.)
>A Longtooth Shifter Warpriest Cleric (me) who served the Raven Queen before the deity's ascent to godhood and replacement of the Raven Queen. They're not at all related by blood, but it's more of an adoption with a lot of investment into it because the Cleric is probably the first to actually accept the new "Raven King."

pic related, it's the Cleric before her first death. She got brought back and made better.

I KNOW WHO DREW THAT PICTURE.

Pervert. :3c

So many of them that you'd probably have to be more specific, but I'd guess Star Wars, depending on what you consider fantasy.

Jokes on you, I didn't get a lewd commission from the artist.

I got a lewd commission from another artist instead. Was strapped for cash with this one.

Hey, at least you comissioned something from them. Good on you.

You're still a pervert though. Lemme see them lewds.

Game of Thrones more likely than not

Give us some more sessions and at this rate our group of investigators in Call of Cthullhu are going to be all part of the same family just by lack of ideas.

We once run a game where every PC was from small island with ~500 inhabitants. While it was never explicitly discussed, I would say the chances of everyone being blood related with each other to some degree were pretty damn high.

Played a Burning Wheel game where we were all siblings aiming to get the throne.

>one of the characters is my bastard older brother

Did he fight with a bastard sword?

me and my buddy started roleplaying at the same time, in the same game (around a year ago) i made an as stereotypical as possible dwarf paladin (i even had large parts of his personality taken from a random dwarf that i liked in dwarf fortress, and thus i also named him urist). his fairly standard dwarvish gimmick was that he not only was full on lawful, but 0% mercy/hesitation. the one time he did show mercy as a city guard so did the culprit manage to escape and kill the older sister to a street urchin and escape. i adopted the orphan (who was played by my buddy) and we set off to find the killer, with the stalwart and silent paladin dwarf and the slightly too talkative rogue orphan.
a few sessions later my buddy grew tired and made plans in secret with the GM to have his character killed off, i wasn't in on it and thus my dwarf threw himself infront of the "you were supposed to run" train and died together

my buddy(he's a bit of that guy when playing, i'll admit it) now GM's our group (which is going better, in my opinion

Back in the day, I ran a Traveller 2300 game where the core of the group was a family operating a tramp freighter. Mom ran the business side of things, the ex-navy dad was the pilot, son and daughter helped out around the ship with maintenance. The group picked up a couple npcs onto the ship as the game went along, one of whom was a romance target for the son. The other was a son of a friend who had been killed and the parents adopted. (which was also connected to the overarching plot.

It worked pretty well. The players did a decent job of playing with the sibling rivalries, overprotective parents, kids rebelling against the parents and such.

Every single motherfucker of my players are always brothers/cousins/uncles/daughters/sisters-in-law/grandfathers since the heydays of AD&D.
Motherfuckers never create a background story besides "we're all family/clan/brothers".
And it is glorious. It clearly make things faster to setup and coordinate.

Link to lewds, user?

no

Currently adventuring with son and daughter-in-law as well as my grandchildren, I am Ovali Wisebeard, Wisest Beard of Clan Wisebeard!

It's nice to get together with them.

Just started a rifts game with my wife and her sis and her husband. We had a blast doing the first mission and we plan on many more.

Played in a DR 1458 campaign called "The Magnificent Amberstars" - a sequel to a long-running 3.5 FR campaign I ran to introduce pen and paper to a new group of friends. While rolling our characters for this new campaign, the concept that the three of us were siblings came up and sounded like fun, so we ran with it. The campaign title came soon afterward.

It was a blast. One player ran the stern, disciplined eldritch knight older brother, constantly trying to keep up with his mischievous younger siblings, twins. I was the boy of the twins, a charming and affable gunslinger alchemist more concerned with making friends and making things explode than honor or responsibility. Our twin sister was a quiet, kind of autistic tinkerer and scientist whose investigatory skills cracked cases and whose ever-growing squad of constructs cracked skulls. (Sometimes. They actually kind of sucked.) We came from a small mining town with a message for the king and queen and got embroiled in ADVENTURE quite quickly.

That group was blessed with no THAT guy and no magical realm shenanigans; the sister was played by a girl. We liked role-playing to go with our meaty, number-crunching combat, so our siblings' relationships evolved as their alignments drifted apart, ultimately coming back together and defeating the ancient evil threatening the Realms with the power of family. One good thing about a party of family members is characters can have a falling out and immediately be over it at the next session. Less need to role-play grudge-holding, at least, with the right group.

My character opened a alchemist brewery/bar with a centaur in Waterdeep. Good times.

Sounds like a Blue Ryuujin Ryuutama campaign. Probably the only way I'd really be comfortable playing an "all family" group with people I didn't know, since Ryuutama is a comfy game and players are most likely going to be the same page as you are.

Have played family with other people, but more on a 1x1 level where another player and I agreed to be related, rather than an everyone in the group thing. Typically ends up being awkward. Especially if that player decides that they like your character. REALLY like your character. (Or alternately, and somewhat more frequently - the exact opposite. And not in a fun "cool - conflict!" way but in a gonna-cause-OOC-drama kind of way.) When I've played family with players I already knew and was comfortable with, it's always been a blast, though.

Ran a game where all my players were brothers from a royal family. What followed was some of the craziest political backstabbing and sabotaging of their rival houses I've ever seen in a game. 10/10, would do again.

Yes. They all hated each other by the beginning, and hated each other even worse by the end.

See - that would be fun. Gives the players no particular reason to have been close before the game started and any alliances or rivalries made after the game starts more organic.

From my experience with that group, I was fully expecting them to fuck each other over too. I'm not sure if it was just because I made them all brothers, if it was how likeable I made their father, mother, uncle, grandmother and other siblings, or both. Went the complete opposite direction. They were goddamn merciless against anyone that wasn't their family. Loved every moment of it.

I'd have to say that having likeable family would definitely inspire *me* to go full wolf pack and close ranks against outsiders. Would love to play in a game like that. (Whether we did the wolf-pack route or ruthlessly devoured each other, it'd be fun.)