Dwarves are basically all assholes and have being an asshole as a key trait; Halflings...

Dwarves are basically all assholes and have being an asshole as a key trait; Halflings, when they're not jolly fat fucks, are thieves; Gnomes' characterization mostly consists of being vaguely annoying, and their patron god literally committed genocide because he thought it would be funny; Kender are just... fuck oh my god no.

Why are all D&D small folk so reprehensible? And the only exceptions (namely Halflings, usually) are just unbearably boring.

All the big people are pretty bad, too. It's not exactly unique to the smallfolk.

Humans fuck anything they meet like mad dogs, elves are tree-hugging pussies who are never relevant and always bitching about it, orcs kill, rape and pillage etc.
Your point?

Five star thread.

Small races are trash tier

Exactly why do people hate gnomes and halflings?

I am not asking for that one time where a shit head played one and you did not like it, what is really wrong with them?

Why are all the tall races such dicks?

Halflings are the least unbearable, and are usually the exception to the "short races are tremendous assholes or otherwise generally annoying" rule. However, while they're usually not assholes, they are usually boring as shit, which isn't much better.

Gnomes barely have any personality or presence in most settings, but for the most part, their thing is basically "annoying magical trickster." When it's not that, it's nearly always "retarded mad scientist with dementia" which is no better and possibly worse. Also their patron god committed genocide as a practical joke. Just sayin', there's a reason Kobolds hate them so much.

>dwarves
>small size
U Wut M8.

They may be chunky but they're still short.

Kender are great, what are you talking about?

here's your (you)

Great, this thread again.

Anyway, gnomes I can see, and kender were a mistake. Dwarves I've never seen as being assholes for any reason. Seems like they're mostly just straightforward in their dealings but otherwise pretty relatable like humans. Sure, they don't like elves much in a lot of settings, but who doesn't have a problem with those slender, self-righteous pricks?

Halflings just seem like short people, relatable and seeking simple pleasures. However I've seem people who gravitate towards them for their inherent sneaky bonuses to play thieves generally play as huge assholes. It's entirely possible to play as a halfling thief who's not a huge asshole, but it tends to attract shitty players. Is that a problem of the race or the players it attracts?

Make your own damn small folk, you heightest bastard. Fuck you. Fuck you, tall girls. Fuck you, basketball players, fuck you, moon, fuck you, fuck you, FUCK YOU.

Never trust anything thats head height to your testicals.

because they will never learn

I played that gnome once. Always angry at tall-folk for waving their junk in his face. Carried a sap. Lots of called shots when in crowds of the taller races.

Play Eberron, gnomes are super spies and are one of the first races to walk on Eberron. Halfings are dinosaur riding nomands, nuff said.

Same reason so many people hate Chaotic Neutral. Bad experiences with shitty players.

Douchey, disruptive players gravitate towards any kind of small race because they're the types if people who think playing some lolrandum pint-sized maniac is hilarious.

Kender are a special example because it's a reverse. They're all the obnoxious traits you associate with Hobbit/gnome players manifested into an in-universe incarnation of That Guy and presented in a way where it's obvious the creator thinks that kind of behavior is funny and endearing

>not playing kobolds

I bet you like to meet in taverns too, you trope lord.

Because Halflings are really Hobbits, with a new name after a threat of lawsuit, and the Hobbits were Tolkien's self-insert.

Faramir was Tolkien's self-insert and he all but stated this.

Hobbits were just a collection of tropes he liked because he wanted a comfy race.

Honestly Hobbits becoming a player race is fine with me. Frodo and Friends were the only characters who would work as PCs.

Because they fuck up at the worst times, have rocky relationships, and get to see volcanoes?

That, and because the other members of the Fellowship are an angel, Beowulf, Other Beowulf, Elf Beowulf, and Dwarf Beowulf. It didn't translate to the movies, but Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, and Borimir had pretty high power levels.

None of the LotR characters work at all well as PCs, but the Hobbits come pretty close.

>Kender are a special example because it's a reverse. They're all the obnoxious traits you associate with Hobbit/gnome players manifested into an in-universe incarnation of That Guy and presented in a way where it's obvious the creator thinks that kind of behavior is funny and endearing
Except this is not the case, because the original novels - and setting material - are riddled with how most people don't put up with their shit.

For fuck's sake, don't people read anything that was printed before 3rd ed any more? That image that gets posted so often was WOTC's invention.

>Kender
>Motherfucking Kender
>KENDER
Your image triggered me, OP. Thanks a lot.

What they originally were doesn't matter considering there post-3e incarnation is what's stayed.

I remember that blurb about the race brought up how most people find Kender insufferable. The "narrator" then went on to say that attitude is unfair and how the world would be at a loss if Kender went away.

>What they originally were doesn't matter considering there post-3e incarnation is what's stayed.
Only by default, since they haven't really done anything with Dragonlance since.

TSR wasn't perfect, granted, but WOTC's track record with the settings they inherited is frightening.

#notallhalflings

I think Wizards' track record with all things creative is frightening.

That said, the nice thing about their stuff is it's all written in a way where you can basically pick and choose what you don't like as long as you're willing to homebrew a setting. Don't like kender? They're not in your setting. Don't like Dragonborn? They're not in your setting. Don't like orcs or dwarves or Elves? Not in your setting.

I'll show you reprehensible, time to post this again.

>Elfposter detected

The fuck is an old woman doing with a staff sling?

But seriously, fuck human only campaigns and the people who run them.

ok, what's this from.

Frankly, I'll take a human-only campaign over a pastiche of crazy kitchen sink fantasy races. Sorry, but I don't like dragonborn as a player race. I've only seen a handful of settings where a dozen different weird fantasy races actually worked well.

>scarequoting your own lab notes

This guy is so excited to do mad science it's embarrassing.

All humans, martials only, historical setting, final destination.

Everyone I have ever know who ran a human only game has done it to teach some form of moral lesson or play out real world politics with magic.

They have almost all also included no human races that were straight up better than humans at most things. If I wanted this, I would skip sessions and just play the witcher trilogy.

Done this, was shit.

Worse, it was 3.5 and our enemies were spell casters after we wiped and came back as barbarians at level 3.

These are the reasons I made new races for my homebrew, so I wouldn't have to play along those silly old lines.

I mostly limit race options because I hate Wizards' articulations of non-human races and homebrewing a bunch of my own is a pain in the ass.

I am running a fantasy game, granted it's in Savage Worlds instead of D&D. Decided to make dwarves and orcs the only playable non-human races, and it's worked out well so far.

D&D really is terrible for a "low-magic" setting because high-level magic is totally married to the gameplay mechanics.

A race of literal manlets.

But Beowulf was a PC, just a high level one. The hobbits are lvl 1s running around with lvl 15s and a DMPC

No. 3e is what DnD is now.

Isn't because they're more like fairy folks then human?

>Beowulf
>PC

Maybe if it's an Exalted campaign or something.

You could make a case the non-Hobbit Fellowship members are high-level PCs if you concede they're the only such PCs in the setting.

There are a few characters who come kinda close--Eomer, Eowyn, Faramir--but it's generally accepted Aragorn is leagues ahead of them.

>You could make a case the non-Hobbit Fellowship members are high-level PCs if you concede they're the only such PCs in the setting.
Well, yes, that's gwnerally how rare high level PCs are. Though I wouldn't say they were the highest ever; people like Feanor, Luthien and Earendil were just max level PCs running around doing whatever the fuck they wanted

All short races are shit

>Two editions ago is still current.

Dwarves may be assholes, but they are at least justifiable assholes. I.E. they'll call you a lad not fit to shine their shoes, but they'll do so as they're saving your ungrateful behind. Everyone else you mentioned are just backstabbing, opportunist, trash tier races.

>implying people played 4e
>implying 5e isn't 3e light
>implying 3e wasn't so popular it spawned knockoffs like PF
>implying 3e didn't refine what "feels" like dnd

If you are under six feet tall you are literally a subhuman and should be culled.

That picture is grotesque looking. Did the artist just look at someone on stilts and think that was normal?

Did you have the gruff warrior race? The graceful race tied to magic? The average fuck of all trades race? The small cute and friendly race?

If so then you havent really change much....