What's the most horrific death to befall a player in a campaign you were in, Veeky Forums?

What's the most horrific death to befall a player in a campaign you were in, Veeky Forums?

>group walking through a dungeon
>we all step on a trap
>everyone passes dex test to avoid falling into a pit
>except the wizard
>bottom of the pit is filled with slimes
>MFW they're resistant to fire magic and all he had was fire spells
>MFW we had to watch the wizard get slowly dissolved an inch at a time by slimes because he kept failing strength tests to escape their grasp

Sounds like the gm was a complete dick, and the player gained their ire, no way that was a coincidence.

Hypothetically speaking, I'm going to assume the fall itself wasn't particularly lethal if wizard could life through it, so maybe if the rest of the team jumped down the pit as well and helped dispatching the slimes, the wizard might have lived, yes?

>play a game of dice rolling
>GM's fault when player fails to make a dice roll

Live by the dice, die by the dice. As long as the players understood they were in a lethal system, game on.

Yeah, the DM was a bit of an asshat at times, but the Wizard had been acting like a borderline minmaxing That Guy for the past few sessions after the DM had asked him nicely to tone it back. He was a friend of mine, so he didn't want to kick him out, so I do kind of think he pulled this as an in-game punishment.

Abuse of power maybe, but I thought it was better than just telling the guy to fuck off out of the game. In some ways he was putting his minmaxing to the test, haha.

I retract this and side with this guy DM's a tool.

>Party is tracking the power of a dead god
>Finally come to an island reeking of demonic corruption
>Things like trees covered in screaming faces and pools of blood are all over the place
>After getting through a short dungeon, get ambushed by the right hand of a greater demon lord and his retinue
>Literally one of the strongest beings in the setting that isn't a god
>Fight hard and actually kill him once
>Force him to permanently expend a portion of his power just to stay alive
>Kill several of his lackeys, who themselves are unique demons that can't be replaced easily
>But they outlast us
>Cleric steps into the wrong space and gets eviscerated, practically into pink mist, by several pairs of claws hitting at once
>Rogue finally fails to dodge and gets hit by a beam that simply erases her, slowly, over the course of several seconds
>Archer Paladin gets engaged in a melee and fights for a while but he eventually goes down, nothing particularly terrible
>Fighter gets exposed to demonic flames and becomes a corrupted ever burning berseker fused to her armor by the heat
>Sorcerer is the only one that manages to escape relatively unscathed

It was a campaign prequel that we were never supposed to win, and we all went in knowing that. Not many of our character have horrific deaths, so those were about the worst.

>dnd 5e, party is Rogue, Fighter, Sorcerer all human
>go to an elf city where 2/3 of it hate humans
>try to kill an elf kid, start a fight in a tavern and kill about 3 to 5 elves, two of them Innocent
>for quest matters they find a dude that will give them a cure to a curse if they can live with one for one day,the rogue got an evil doppelganger, the fighter lit on to fire if talked, and the sorcerer heard music and couldn't stop dancing
>they rested in the curse guy house
>the next day a mob of angry elves(10) wanted to kill them , miraculously they lived
>got captured by some guards, and sent to an underground prison
>the players with some bullshit again escape the prison only to be received by a giant mob of angry elves about (60-80)
>they say "well we try to outrun them"
>sorcerer dies dancing while a mob of angry elves stab him in every-part of his body
>the other two players where KO, but lived because stuff

I've never seen a player character die.

>What's the most horrific death to befall a player
>death to befall a player
>a player
>player

None yet.

Or they die with him...

Our psionic had a mountain fall on her, mulching her arm, followed shortly by a gunship, which tore open her vacc suit and nearly disemboweled her.
Then she bled out/asphyxiated over the course of an hour while the rest of us tried frantically to dig her out and get her back to the ship.

The party in DH turned on itself because the Psyker kept failing his check to determine that the Warp-tainted Daemon Staff was telling everyone to kill him. The Psyker killed the scum wyho tried to arrest him for heresy, the assassin killed the psyker for insanity. After patting him on the back and letting him know it was okay.

Kept alive to give birth to the villain's son, then fed to his dogs.

Had a really nice cleric girl once. Mostly support and healing. The rest if the party saw her as a kid sister or daughter, maybe the fighter had a small crush on her.

Party wound up facing a lieutenent of the BBEG, who showed up on some kind of dragon-frog thing. It had a tongue attack. Guess what happens when the tongue hits? Got grabbed and swallowed whole. The sorcerer cast Fear hoping to make the rider flee but the frog failed the save too and flew off.

Had no chance of beating it at a grapple to escape, slowly being digested as she tried to keep making the checks to cast more healing while inside it and pray to be rescued soon.

She didn't get rescued.

One of my characters was eaten alive.
Like a lion-sized creature started taking chunks out of him not swallowed-whole

> Be 5e party, partying hard.
> Be fighter, party with barbarian, elven legolas, not-Drizz't paladin, other barbarian, dorf cleric, also not-Drizz't bard, and halfling sorceror/lecherous kleptomaniac/pyro.
> Run through entire Keep on the Borderlands module.
> Loot, combat, fun times.
> Next, go to mysterious island for mysterious adventures. Welcome to Isle of Dread.
> Halfling spends boat ride there lounging in the lifeboat bribing sailors to feed him booze.
> Loot, combat, fun times.
> Finally unlock large mysterious gate, leading to larger portion of the island, many mysteries ahead.
> Form sensible marching order.
> First thing past door, find a standard bog.
> Halfling steps forward to take a look.
> Five giant gators emerge, score two consecutive crits on surprise round.
> Halfling is fragile sorceror. Gators have many d8 damage. -HP.
> Party looks on in horror as giant gators swarm their tiny fire-slinging companion out of nowhere and tear him to fucking shreds.
> DM apologetic, everyone bummed.

>minmaxing that guy

>all he had was fire spells

What

All the most horrific things didn't end in death though.

>fighter gets swallowed whole by froghemoth.
>So does the clone master alchemist's currently possessed and bomb implanted clone body.
>Clone master clone drinks extract of detonate waits patiently for death. >Fighter desperately tries to claw his way out.
>doesn't make it before the explosion.
>has to crawl out of the corpse covered in boiled alien frog.

>Rogue rolls to step something my character is appraising from his hands.
>Already has 3 strikes for actions taken against the party.
>Falls unconscious from damage
>that guy describes cutting off hands and feet and tongue and making her into a backpack to "bear his seed."
>roll a new character time, but death would come much later.

It didn't make sense to me either

>That second one
Please tell me that this was an Evil campaign.

>PC was on a ship out at sea
>Magical catastrophe occurs
>PCs bones turn to jelly
>Ship catches fire and slowly sinks.
>This guy's character was roasting alive before he slowly drowned.

3.5. Playing a mounted combat fighter level 5, designed as a cavalry leader
> come through portal with retinue of 4 soldiers.
> first ones through, walking horses.
>Fireball for 36 damage
> horses all die. Soldiers all die.
> I dodge for half. Next round, everyone else comes through portal, kills the enemy mook with the fireball scroll.
> no longer mounted, feats next to useless.
>Get to cultists temple, kill cultists, ready to go home.
> two huge tentacled horrors step out of shrine.
> charge down the stair to hold them back so our wizard can wizard.
"Make a dex check for running on stairs. Dc 10"
> roll a 1. Fall prone to the bottom od the stairs. End of actions.
> monster's turn, walks over, attacks with tentacles. Free grab. Fails to get me.
> my turn, try to stand. Aoo, hits, grabs, picks me up.
> gm lets me try to break free as my action struggle to break free. Monster has +12 to its grapple check. Fail to break free, no action.
> wizard uses his scroll of disintegration... on the other horror, not wanting to harm me.
> monster uses swallows me.
> monster killed three turns later, never hurting anyone else.
"Sorry user, this was a ranged fight, couldnt you tell?"
> mfw I was useless the whole time.
> that was the end of the campaign.

> Staying at an inn in a hamlet
> At midnight suddenly Barbarians, dozens of them by magical portals!
> Fight in the inn
> Somehow the inn catches on fire. The entire inn
> Also, we're playing DnD 3.5
> Party Barbarian goes down to enemy Barbarians in the inn
> Rest of part mops up the barbarians in the inn
> Immediately run to defend the rest of the hamlet
> Barbarian player leaves to take care of business cause he's down and can take no actions
> We fight the enemy barbarians and kill them over a 100+ round battle
> Long rest time
> Morning
> Player barbarian comes back
> "Hey who rescued me out of the burning building last night?"
> Everyone forgot
> The DM made the player barbarian role death saves and he failed. every. single. one.

u got railroaded as fuck

The party paladin got turned into an arrow pincushion at the end of the campaign, getting martyred after the minor avatar of an evil god (who had been fighting another paladin and was actually hurting badly) turned his back on him to deal with something else and the paladin dealt just enough damage to destroy the channeler's mortal coil and sever the god's direct connection to the material plane.
The cultists nearby were supremely pissed and focused all their fire on him (they were part of a large-scale battle and the avatar fought the paladins on his own, killing the other one).
Then when the battle was over, they made sure that the paladin's remains could never be found by burning his body and grinding his bones into dust.
However, due to being a martyr and an all-around badass, he's being considered for a once-in-a-century True Resurrection ritual by the dwarven high priestesses.
His hammer is now a Legendary artifact weapon and cannot be destroyed.

One time one of my players was walking into the game store and got hit by a bus. I dunno if he died, but I didn't see him after that.

I mean, if you're playing 3.5e and plan on burning things, at least grab TOME and be a Fire Mage.

GM said the game was on permanent hiatus until told otherwise. I liked that character.

>Buddy of mine left a game early to go meet his wife, who was a complete bitch about his "guy time."
>Got hit by a drunk driver, broadsided.
> car rolled into a bbq pit restaurant.
> place caught fire.
> friend lived.
> 6 months later, after recovering from burns to 30% of his body, broken bones, and shittons of physical therapy, wife leaves him because he had no income while healing.
> takes wheelchair to divorce hearing still having problems walking.
> wife hits him when he was crossing the road.
> Bitch parked it with him under the wheel.
> died from suffocation.
> she is getting off with time served and probation for involuntary manslaughter. Keeping all his shit.

>Party is haggard, having finally gotten to the literal bottom of a haunted house that was once a cult hub
>Room is slightly flooded in the lowered area in the center, with a stone dais and bloody altar in the middle
>Only notable things in the room are the huge creepy cult altar in the center, the door they came in, an iron gate that opens from this side they saw from the other side earlier, and a knocked out portion of wall with a pile of refuse stuck in it
>The first player in immediately tried to dig through the pile
>"As you dig your hand in, you touch something slimy but solid, and the mass seems to growl deeply and vibrate."
>"I hit it with my axe"
>It was a shambling mound that's supposed to chase the party (ineffectively) if they fail to appease the cult at the altar
>They fight it here
>Rogue jumps on top of it and attacks
>It pulls him into itself and begins to crush him to death
>Next round party hears a sickening crunch as the rogue takes lethal damage and the monster settles back down to eat
>"Well, it's already injured, too. Surely we can finish it off."
>The paladin attacks it
>The mound attacks the paladin
>Crit
>24 damage
>The paladin had 1 hp, and 22 max hp
>A massive piece of its form rears up, slaps itself down on the paladin, and draws it slowly back under
>Dies instantly from massive damage by hitting negative max hp
>The cracking and bending of metal is added to the noise as it settles down
>The remaining two party members lure it into the tunnels where they easily kite it by getting it stuck
>Only one of the four is conscious, and only two still alive by the end

well that's some bullshit.

Drowned in a literal lake of sewage and human waste because he kept failing swim-checks.

Nope. Dude was an ass and got what he deserved.

She should have gotten a life sentence, the absolutely bitch.

Just say you're running death house, mate

>Get hit by deathcurse
>Which makes my PC constipated.
>Can't get countercurse to work despite multiple attempts
>Die of being unable to shit.

Oh no, he didn't die... He has been colourfully and painfully raped by female Slaaneshi cultist for being That Guy. Fuck, it's still scary when I recall

Was his name Lenny?

Not every game handles magic like D&D . I ran a mage once in GURPS who knew basically nothing but wind spells, and he did fine

>Warhammer Fantasy 2e
>All of us fail our checks to see that the hallway is trapped, except for one guy who didn't bother to check
>Trap is the hallway bounces us around
>Everyone succeeds in their agility checks to not get fucked up
>Even my character in heavy ass armor
>A good time is had by all

This was a few years ago, so i don't remember the complete details, but that is essentially what happened.