I'm trying to roleplay being a red blooded American man circa 1978 - what magazines and literature am I reading?

I'm trying to roleplay being a red blooded American man circa 1978 - what magazines and literature am I reading?

My hobbies are UDTs, wetworking, intelligence analysis, secret projects, cars, fast planes with cameras, guns, and explosions. I love to win and despise incompetence. I love the idea of the outdoors, premarital sex, and I go to work with a shirt and tie.

I could use a few ideas for drinks I'd be into. I'm tired of coming home after work each day to the same fucking gin and tonic I've had since I was 13.

Cape Coder

Omni, Popular Mechanics, Scientific American, National Geographic (got how that magazine has fallen), and Esquire. You occasionally read Playboy, but for the hot stuff you have a stash of Hustler.

At least, that's what my dad had.

I don't know about Popular Mechanics. It's not as dogshit like Popular Science, but isn't there something that's got good shit on tradecraft?

I could also use a few policy magazines. I remember reading this one article about how people fuck up Battle Damage Assessments a while back, but I can't remember what.

>Omni
NEver heard of it.

>National Geographic
If I'm feeling cold after a Cold Virginia night checking IMINT, maybe. I get a little weird looking at the past, especially when I've got work on my mind.

I heard Strong Islands were boss and Cape Codders were for fairies. What the fuck is that?

Also, I can't remember if there's a magazine that covers topics like drink mixing and other outgoing activities. I'd really love to try my hand at boss things like that.

Man, I should go to the range this weekend, try out my AR-10...

1978 was the relaunch year for LIFE as a monthly publication. Maybe you are into that.

LIFE is pretty cool. My dad bought me a bunch of LIFEs back from the day detailing/chronicling Von Braun and the Atlas project for a school project. The cool thing was LIFE being so oversized so all the photos were enormous.

What's wrong with National Geographic now? Did it affect the magazine worldwide or is it only the US version?

... Oh yeah, I'd totally subscribe to Jane's. Does anyone know they have good detail on their areas of expertise? Jane's Intelligence Review looks like it'd fit me to a T.

Now if I could figure out where I could find information on the spreading characteristics of NP2.

>1978 was the relaunch year for LIFE as a monthly publication. Maybe you are into that.
What was it beforehand? I figured that shit was a soft entertainment rag, not something you could just jump in and apply yourself on.

To be honest, I think light entertainment options like the New Yorker might not be my speed. After the term I liaised with DEPCORDS, I'm pretty good about not rattling under the gun.

Rupert Murdoch bought it. The magazine size got slashed in half too.

Anyone know where I'd get cool shit like this picture? I'd love to have this in my office.

>LIFEs back from the day detailing/chronicling Von Braun and the Atlas project for a school project. The cool thing was LIFE being so oversized so all the photos were enormous.

Hmm. I might pick up a few I'd like, then toss the rest. Maybe I could get a favor out of one of the goons at the security stop with a good one.

I don't know that person. As for slash in half, well, as long as it's the same quality as before, that's already not too terrible.

This is why I fucking hate on engineers. All demands, no cooperation. Getting it out the door on time is like asking Pravda to stop talking shit.

See this shit? This is what I'm talking about. I'm so goddamn glad we're so close to getting over the M60 chassis too.

You know, these aren't half bad, actually...

>Drinks
Harvey Wallbanger
Old Fashioned
Rob Roy
Cubra Libre

>magazines
LIFE was considered the top photojournalism magazine in it's heyday. It stopped regular publication in 1972 and only issued special editions for the next 6 years, relaunching in 1978

Mechanix illustrated was a magazine that competed with Popular Science and Popular Mechanics (two big names you may also be interested in) that was billed as a 'how to' or do it yourself magazine with instructions for various projects.

In a similar vein to above, Radio-Electronics was extremely popular with men

I figured some of you would like to check some of my light reading. Don't give me that look, the guys in the security booth never fucking check.

>Mechanix illustrated was a magazine that competed with Popular Science and Popular Mechanics (two big names you may also be interested in) that was billed as a 'how to' or do it yourself magazine with instructions for various projects.

I'm up for that. What kind of do-it-yourself things did they cover?

"Mechanix Illustrated (MI) aimed to guide readers through various projects from home improvements and advice on repairs to "build-your-own (sports car, telescope, helicopter, etc)." It was headquartered in New York City.

Although it featured many how-to articles, the most eagerly awaited and read features were Tom McCahill's monthly automobile tests which ran from the late 1940s to the early 1970s. McCahill's feisty opinions were delivered in a prose laced with similes that are still quoted today among car enthusiasts: "As anyone brighter than a rusty spike must know..."; flooring the accelerator pedal on a certain car is "...like stepping on a wet sponge"; the clock/tachometer combination on another car is "...about as useful as feathers on a moose." McCahill died in 1974, and three years later CBS bought Fawcett Publications, the company which published MI, and continued publishing the magazine, renaming it Home Mechanix in 1984. In August, 1996, it was again renamed as "Today's Homeowner" and ceased publication with the March/April issue in 2001, being merged into sister publication This Old House.[3]

In the 1980s, the magazine featured more and more home repair, remodel and woodworking projects while featuring fewer articles on general technology and automotive projects. In an ironic twist, the first issue of Home Mechanix in 1984 had a cover feature article on customizing the new Chrysler Minivan."

>Rob Roy
Sounds right.
>Cubra Libre
A rum and coke? My last girlfriend had that while we worked on this project of hers.

>Pdf
This shit was adorable back in the day. It's not often when you get to punk some bitches for taking too long.

I Adore this.

Do you have a bigger photo of the car? It looks like it's full coilover suspension all around, not pushrod. And independent suspension at all four corners!

Alright, I'm calling it. Got work tomorrow for a 4 day shift, but keep posting so I've got something to come back to

>Omni
Science mag published by Bob Guccione (of Penthouse fame). Think 'Wired' with some science fiction on the side. First issue was technically Oct '78, but who's fact checking?