What is the worst class to be spat out by WotC and why is it the Truenamer?

What is the worst class to be spat out by WotC and why is it the Truenamer?

Because either you played "like you were supposed to" and you couldn't beat the DC's of enemies a few levels lower than you... or you played "like you could" and you beat everyone's DC automatically and you had half a dozen high level demons at your command.

Because it is the one class that is objectively broken, i.e. it can not possibly work the way it was intended to.

That's not the Monk.

Nah, the monk has issues, but it is still fundamentally able to function. As a truenamer levels, the target number he needs to be able to hit increases twice as fast as his ability to improve his number. It is mathematically impossible for a high level truenamer to function without breaking out some heavy duty skill optimization.

Yeah and if you do that it's impossible to fail and that's crap for the same reasons as giving the fighter/barbarian a +20 Vorpal Sword.

B-but you can take Skill Focus at level 1 to offset the problem until level 3

Because WotC spent all their good ideas on the Binder.

The bland as fuck shadow-casting class that, by my recollection, was essentially just a normal caster with certain key words ctrl+f'd out and the hilariously bad truenamer were probably only included because they couldn't justify selling a book with only one class in it.

Technically, it wasn't design by WotC.

It's also the class with one of the easiest fixes in 3.5. Only two things you have to do to fix the class.
>have to do is make truenaming scale by 1 per CR instead of 2 per CR.
>remove the Law of Sequence

Just like that, you have a fun, viable, and ballanced class. In fact, the fixed truenamer is probably the only balanced spell-caster in 3.5.

Anchorite.
Basically a spell caster who only gets spells within a fifty-foot radius of a point they chose when they took the first level of the class.

Truenamer is thematically cool and fixable though. I would argue that the worst class is something bland and unneeded. Like the samurai class.

Healer

All classes are balanced if you homebrew them. Truenamer was broken like none other in the shape it was released, the possibility of fixing it is irrelevant.

>Introduce a class that is all about memorization, study and abstract thought
>Make its casting stat Charisma

fuck, Wizards is retarded

Healers are decent support and actually function though.

It's a useless class that nobody asked for and does what it's supposed to specialize in worse than other more generalist classes. It was a pointless addition that added no variety.

You just described nearly every class introduced in nearly every splatbook.

It functions, though.

What about the PHBII classes? While I like the Knight I've heard not to good things about it generally.

>Knight

Literally MMO tanking.
>haha you can only attack me.

>Literally just change one thing and everything about the class is balanced
>NOOOO MUH HOMEBREW TOO COMPLICATED JUST MAKE A NEW SYSTEM!

I genuinely can't tell if this is bait or someone actually managed to miss the point this hard.

What? That you think it's better to throw away an entire class instead of changing literally one line of numbers because "homebrew is bad".

Talking about how broken it is RAW is not throwing away the entire class you retard. Talking about how to improve it is irrelevant when the topic is how bad it is RAW, like saying caster's aren't broken RAW if you apply house rules and special limitations.

No, it's better to not design a class to be unplayably shit by a bunch of incompetent devs.

Yes, of course, we would all be happy if a dev looked at the class before printing it, realised the obvious, and changed two lines of text. However, as that is not the case and time machines do not exist, we instead talk about rules in terms of how they are applied to our game.

Yes, of course, the Truenamer is broken. I think every single person who has read the finished product realised this in under 2.5 seconds. However, the fact that it takes under 2.5 seconds to fix it again is, in fact, relevant information.

A problem that takes 2.5 seconds to fix is not a big problem. It takes considerably more time to make, say, a Fighter into a useful class than a Truenamer, which means that the Truenamer is not the worst class spat out by WotC.

No one is implying homebrewing is bad you retard, something that needs to be fixed by the DM, no matter how easy it is to fix, is still broken and poorly designed

Well, they did fix the Fighter, they call him Warblade now

Of course. And I bet it took more than 2.5 seconds to design it.

The point I am making here is that the AMOUNT of homebrew work required is different from class to class, thus 's claim that "the possibility of fixing it is irrelevant" is false. The possibility of fixing it is absolutely relevant. A class that needs to be redesigned from the ground up is in much worse condition than a class that requires minor errata.

What's the point of paying good money to own the PHB for a system if it's so broken that you have to "fix" it before you actually start playing it?

I mean, if I'm paying money to play it, it should be well written and designed by RAW.

Soulborne, anyone?

What is better:
1. A good car that needs its bolts tightened before you go, lest it fall apart, or
2. A shit car that does not need any work to get it on the road, but a LOT of work to make it not shit?
Without any work, the former is more broken than the latter. They're both not ideal, but the fact that the former can be made good with just a bit of work makes the former better than the latter.

Besides, this is 3.5 we're talking about. Nobody needs to PAY MONEY for it, all the books are available online for free, and there are searchable websites as well.

I'd rather just buy a good car that doesn't need maintenance to not fall apart from a stiff wind.

Seriously, what's with Veeky Forums and having retards who make terrible analogies?

Are you from /v/?