MTG Pauper General: The Best Eternal Format

I just realized the thread dies because we can't complain about prices like other formats or bannings or fakes etc.

>MTGO Pauper Guide
cardhoarder.com/mtgo-beginner-guide

>What are some top tier decks I can get on MTGO/Paper?
mtggoldfish.com/metagame/pauper

>BUT I WANT TO SEE ALL VIABLE DECKS!
tappedout.net/users/fruuty/deck-folders/

>Which rules should I follow?
If you don't already have some homebrew version with friends, follow the MTGO card pool and banlist (and please spread this to your friends that start playing with you). Currently the only place Pauper is officially supported by Wizards is online, and they have a card pool and banlist, therefore that is the format we should be using offline on paper as well, since decks and cards can transfer to games between each other with no confusion.

>WAHHH THATS TOO HARD WHERE...
mtg-hunter.com
The bottom left has a box, select MTGO Pauper, all cards in the card pool and banlist are taken into account.

>What deck should I use?
Ask in the thread!

>Is MTGO worth it?
If you have no local paper competition, but want to play a vast amount of Pauper, it can't be beat, even if it is a clunky GUI, you learn quickly.

Some good decks for newbies include but are not limited to:
>Burn
>Elves
>Goblins
>Stompy
>Slivers
>Affinity
>Mono U control
>UB Teachings

Other urls found in this thread:

mtgtop8.com/event?e=12751&f=PAU
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/lightwalker-1-shenanigans/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Lets kick this thread off!

Pic related is my new brew around kroalsan tusker. The idea is to play value creatures to ramp to a point when I can cast grim harvest every turn for extra value and start beating face with my 6/5.

Removal suite is a little of everything because im not sure yet what do I need.

Spicy cards:

Undying evil because when it works it's a bomb!

Yavimaya Elder: I was playing a Nissa's Pilgrimage because drawing 3 for 3 ia nice even if they are forests. But this one also attacks

Oh, the proxied cards are Echoing Decay and Gnaw to the Bone, because I don't have them with me now.

Where are the mongoose and drake decks, Eggman?

There are not any because 2 cards at common don't make a meta change.

My battle box is taking forever because my wife will only let me buy one deck a month. I have burn and Rebels, what should I get next? Stompy? Delver? I'm going to proxy Obuliette until I can afford them for MBC. Chainer's isn't super cheap either I guess.

Your wife is doing you a favor. If you buy all decks at once you just get bored afterwards.

I am going to try Mongoose in the sideboard of my BG TE deck. I'll post here about how that goes once I've done some testing.
Also, was going through my cards last night and realized the key pieces of my old standard Axebane Guardian/Galvanic Alchemist shitbrew are common. Before I try to put that back together, are there any pauper untap effects that will go infinite with less than four defenders?

I have a tortured existence and UW tron deck built. My main question is, what is the proper build for Drake combo in tron? Do you drop the W altogether and go super counterspell heavy?

How do you build UW Tron? I've seen monogreen and RUG/artifact manafixing versions. What is the appeal of white?

White gets you O-ring and the two mana removal enchantment that I cannot remember because of headache. The other big draw is rhystic circle. Signets are also really neat so you don't need to rely on tron lands as much.

Journey to Nowhere.

Thank you. I'm going to sleep, will post my list in the morning, if the thread doesn't get strangled in the night.

Hopefully it won't. Summer shitposting isn't quite as bad during the middle of the night in North America.

Is Elf tribal or non-tribal goodstuff a better way to build G aggro/stompy?
mtgtop8.com/event?e=12751&f=PAU

Played in an 8 man tourney at my LGS today

Played burn

>Lost to elves, was decently close but his draws were just too explosive

>Hosed tron, terrible matchup for her, nothing she could really do post board either

>Hosed grixis teachings, it was some weird non combo control build, pretty close match, he drew like 4 hydro blasts first post board game and I couldn't get through, beat him game three when he mulled to 5

>Beat monoblack control, had all my creatures in the board, lost game one to a weak keep and then got him game two with sided in creatures and then got him game three by taking them out again

Absolutely not.

I love Burn. Fuck the haters.

How are you liking tortured existence? I recently put it together but have been having trouble beating grindy control decks. Maindeck bojuka bog is a bitch

Burn is pretty fun, can't complain.

Eh, I negotiated that with my wife too. Can't deny though, has a point.

Build Delver. Always play Delver. Even if it isn't the most busted deck, Snap and Gush and Spellstutter Sprite are so fun to play.

Anyone see goldfishman's GW tokens deck with the infinite combo? Pretty neat, uses Midnight Guard & Presence of Gond

Uh. Otherwise known as midnight gond.

I've only played a couple of control decks, so not much experience with the matchup. My plan is to jam in more threats postboard and try to keep them from stabilizing, though. Extra Arrogant Wurm and some Mongoose.

4x Tower
4x Mine
4x Power Plant
4x Tranquil Cove
2x Remote Isle
2x Island
1x Plains

4x Journey to Nowhere
2x Oblivion Ring
2x Rhystic Circle

4x Mulldrifter
4x Sea Gate Oracle
2x Ulamog's Crusher

4x Expedition Map
4x Prophetic Prism
4x Azorious Signet

4x Dispel
4x Condescend
1x Capsize

I'm still sad we didn't get Chainer's Edict at common in Eternal Masters.

Oops, replace Dispel with Repeal.

I like the shroud approach, I was thinking of trying out blastoderm

Do you think arrogant wurm is better than angler?

I run both. Wurm is better from a card advantage standpoint because with Tortured Existence out it buys back a creature when you cast is (and has flash). Angler is more mana efficient and can close games early, but it's not as easy to reuse as the Wurm if it dies, and the card advantage from Wurm and Grave Scrabbler helps out grind opponents in the late game.

I currently run 2 Arrogant Wurm, 2 Angler mainboard with a third Wurm in the side, but I am pretty new to the deck, so this isn't necessarily the best split.

Is SinkHole legal?

Playing Pauper Mono White Soldiers.

War Falcon x4
Elite Vanguard x 4
Raise the Alarm x3
Veteran Swordsmith x4
Veteran Armorsmith x4
Ballynock Cohort x3
Topan Freeblade x4
Gempalm Avenger x4
Ballyrush Banneret x3

Journey to Nowhere x1
Oust x3
Celestial Flare x2
Bonesplitter x2

x2 Secluded Steepe
x19 Plains

I'm still unsure about Oust. Delver decks can just grab them back, and organize the deck so it can flip on my endstep. I don't want to spend on Journey to Nowhere, Should I go with Oblivion Ring?

Why not Sunlance over O-Ring? It will kill most things in the format. You could put O-Ring in the side for Anglers.

Sunlance hurts me way too much G1 on matchups against common meta decks like Tron, Angler is also everywhere.

brainstorm is much worse without shuffle effects.

There are 3 fetches, 4 viridian emissary and 4 tuskers. Shuffling isn't that hard.

you went from "my mom" to "my wife"

Way to live your life, beta.

the only shuffle I saw was the tusker, couldn't tell what a lot of the cards were. it's really common mistake new pauper players do is to jam 4 brainstorm because it's played in legacy.

How good is this deck? I'm v hype to break into pauper by cheesing people out with 1/1s gone sexual

Anyone have any experience running infect?

Amazing.
Highly inevitable if your oponnent don't have enough removal. Sideboard options can turn it to dust though.

Hey lads, this is my first pauper deck. I'm still pretty new despite having a shitload of cards from gifts over the last few years. Please rate/give advice on my deck here.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/lightwalker-1-shenanigans/

bump

Yeah. I'm sad but hey, I get to play with my friends.

Just kidding I have no friends.

Top fun decks are
Delver
UB control
Tron
Prove me wrong.

Does Delver include the all delver decks or just the mono-U one?

Mono u

But DelverFiend is a blast to play and UB Delver is also fun as fuck.

Delver itself is a fun card.

You asked, I answered.

>not Canadian threshold

Tron gets shitted by MBC. Delver is only fun if you like playing alone. UB Control is even worse on that regard.

Good job bringing up other alternatives dumbass.

Pauper is fun. Its actually fun even if you don't buy cards for it and just use what you have. Anyone can make a decent aggro deck. I got my friends at least warmed to it by playing them with a mono white equipment deck I threw together that they had a decent chance against.

Of course, pic related is where the fun's at.

I once built a modern deck around that and demolished my play group. If you use it with well wisher, soul warden, essence warden, or soul's attendant you can become the INFINITE LIFE INFINITE ELF god.

Gimme a disciple list, I have 4 lying around and I want to make something.

The usual. Affinity with Atog as the sac outlet and flings as a finisher.

>mfw i pulled a foil mongoose as the only decent thing in my ema packs
>mfw nobody plays pauper
>mfw it isnt worth shit afterall

>the thread dies because we can't complain about prices like other formats or bannings or fakes etc.

Trust me, it's nice not having counterfeitfags shitting up the thread. Then again, it's pretty funny to pick a fight with them and see them trying to justify their inherently wrong position.

This one has actually stuck around for a while. Maybe we should just do weekend threads?

Well fuck you too. Maybe I want to actually play the game instead of spreading my ass cheeks for wizards of the kikes. Jokes on you for spending thousands of dollars on pieces of paper lmao

Is this mainly about 60-card pauper? Does anyone play or care about pauper EDH?

If no, then does anyone have a few infinite/repeatable combos that aren't midnight/gond, freed from the real, or reflection helix oriented?

>mfw my pauper deck cost more than my modern deck

Lets start a new format Tiny Paupers, 50 card common only edh with cmc 3 or.less and you can have any uncommon as your pauper leader

We can spike the price of certain cards for a format that will be played 3 times on youtube before dying out

Lets do this

I tried pauper EDH, and honestly I'm not too much of a fan. Games get really really grindy and turn into staring matches since boardwipes are almost non-existent. Deck strategies are also pretty narrow and heavily skewed towards certain gameplans since all you have to work with is commons.

How is that possible? Did you just buy all the expensive commons because expensive = good?

Just checked their site, holy fuck it's honestly really sad. Literally the only update they had since January is them clarifying that the extra two colorless mana that needs to be payed is generic mana instead of anus mana.

I'm so glad I didn't fall for this meme. Too bad my friends ate it all up.

He probably runs a meme modern deck like treasure hunt zombie infestation

Probably foiled out his deck, and got things like FNM Brainstorms, Player Rewards Lightning bolts, etc.

Thanks for reminding me that Tiny leaders was a thing that existed. Gave me a good laugh.

Never really heard of Tiny Leaders up until now, checking it out, it doesn't seem like a terrible idea for a format. Why does it get a lot of shit?

See
Speculators store raped and bought out all the foils of cmc 3 legendaries and othere cmc 3 or less good stuff in the hopes that it would make them bank, it didnt, also the guys who created it said they owned it and wizards didnt, they copped flak and he format died

Thread is just as dead as the format

I've yet to lose to MBC in a game that doesn't involve multiple rats and not drawing color fixing with RUG Tron.

Do I really need Obuliette and Chainer's Edict for MBC? I'm buying it for a battle box.

Check MBC from a year ago when chainera wasnt legal for ideas on replacements.

Also, oubliette isnt good when you face a lot of aggro. Its one of those cards that become must plays just because they are expensive (and no the other way).

Oubliette provides good devotion, but you could put Liliana's Specter or something in for that. And if you need the removal to slow down aggro there are more efficient options. Oubliette is just nice because it does both in one card.

Basically gonna change Chainer's for Geth's Verdict and add two more 2 cmc removals.

They are both good decks, only annoying as fuck. Fun decks are Affinity, Tron, Boros Metalcraft, Soldiers, Stompy, Goblins., Canadian Threshold.

Unfun Decks are mono U Delver, UB Teachings, Izzet Blitz, Hexproof and Elves.

Spotted the aggro player.
It's okay, playing your whole hand is fun as fuck.

Does anyone here use Cockatrice? I'd like to play with folks using cards I haven't bought yet in order to feel better before I spend money.

There were only two good decks in the whole format. Nothingelse could compete, so people lost interest.

Pauper lacks decent Boardwipes, therefore Control conpensates by counterspelling everything. Don't get me wrong, you'll win, but people really like to play magic. You could at least allow it.
Those decks are barely interactive and heavly frustrating. MBC discards your hand and destroy all your creatures while drawing and gainning life. Elves can't be defeated without sideboard options. Hexproof and Izzet Blitz plays barely even looking at what your opponent has in the field.
Those decks don't need pilots, it's solitaire.

XMage has some people playing Pauper consistently.

Anyone know of any really good cubes that are up to date for the format?

XMage is trash. Untap.in is where it's at. Play anywhere there is a web browser

Peregrine Drake ban when?

Does Pauper Vampires exist?

It's not breaking anything so probably never.

Yeah. It just sucks.

My store started doing pauper on sundays so i built Midnight Gond after clicking around and reading about different decks, will the deck get shit on by all tier 1 decks or do I at least have some semblance of a chance? Additionally am I better off with a GW token list or trying for a Bant list more focused on finding and protecting the combo?

>mfw the best I got from 5 boosters was a Winter Orb+Price of Progress while my friend got Foil Pyroblast+Wasteland

Any pauper infect list? Got my promo glistener elves lying somewhere in my shoe box.

Pauper infect is meh at best, if they unban invigorate it could have constant t2 kills but untill then t3 kills are too slow

It's a 2/2 flying that dosen't cost mana and can even provide ramp with the right deck. It's still costs a card and 5 manas to work. If it gets countered it's brutal. It's a pretty alright card. Nowhere near annoying as Delver.

Yeah, but it sucks so far. It could be a thing with Bleakcoven Vampires, Artifacts and MBC utilities.

I would go with Blue, White protection is great, but you hardly will be able to stop the sideboard options without hard counters.

So Im currently playing stompy/Izzet blitz but also have u/b delver but i want to upgrade it to something else. Should I bother or should I just build something else?

It's still free/ramps to throw out there and enables winning the game on the spot with ghostly flicker/wall/mulldrifter which the format doesn't need.

Whenever I use Untap.in I start getting weird bugs after the first few games.

Maybe, but I want to see what it does to the format before it gets a ban. If you just ban all combo decks out of the format by default, you end up with Modern.

Seems like it will have a bad MBC matchup, and you need a plan for Electrickery out of the side. See what your store's meta ends up looking like.

Modern has RG Breach/Valakut variants, Scapeshift, Ad Nauseam, Living End, Abzan coco, Grishoalbrand and Storm to some extent.