What are some non-fetish explanations for inter-race marriages in a fantasy setting?

What are some non-fetish explanations for inter-race marriages in a fantasy setting?

I just don't see dwarves, orcs, elves, halflings or whatever being into swirling

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susa_weddings
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>What are some non-fetish explanations for inter-race marriages in a fantasy setting?

Love?

Love and intimacy? Compatible lifestyles?

Just because you don't like the idea doesn't mean everyone agrees. There might be some dwarves out there with forest elf fever, or maybe some orcish humanboos.

One alternative explanation would be that such marriages are done for political purposes. Perhaps an elvish merchant has to marry the daughter of a human baron so his caravan can trade with the barony, or the sone of a dwarf Lord marries the daughter of a halfling Lord to cement an alliance against the orcs.

Love? Money? Peace? Happiness? Tradition? Conquest/Submission?

>orcish humanboos.

Literally the funnest PC/NPC to roleplay as.

Prove me wrong.
protip: You can't.

I've had more fun as a Dwarfish Orcaboo.
Though really that more of an excuse to go full Slayer in a game where Dwarfs were boring Jewish miner/craftmen who only fought with crossbows, and had no metal in their hearts.

Yes, I can't. Because fun is subjective.

"Any open passage is good in a cave-in" - old dwarfish saying

Taking bets on if this is autism or bait.

funny you'd ask, just had my half-dragon character marry a drider yesterday lol. i'd say love, money, political shit, things like that. you can come up with plenty of reasons why it would happen.

the thing i'm curious about is can all races mix properly and produce kids or not.

There's "Book of erotic fantasy" for D&D that describes dis stuffs

yeah but it's not gonna cover every possible combo is it?

Hmm...

G R E E N P U S S Y

yeah, just looked over it as well but i don't see shit about drow, much less driders anywhere in the book.

wonder if there's an expanded list floating around out there?

Lots of sex.

For this you can pretty safely treat drow as elves. Driders are tricky though, they were originally drow so they could keep that list or maybe treat them like centaurs?

Sounds disgusting.

It's a terrible list, presumably made by a xenophilic dragon who wanted to convince other races that long term relationships between dragons and other races was totally doable.

>swirling
Lol. Cute.

Everything greenpussy soo woo

It's the colour of life my bro. Didn't your mom always tell you to eat your greens?

>Captain Brattigan

>What are some non-fetish explanations for inter-race marriages in a fantasy setting?
Cultural marxism

E R O T I C
E
R
O
T
I
C

>I just don't see dwarves, orcs, elves, halflings or whatever being into swirling

They aren't, it's humans who start alll this shit.

Wow, Amalur. Is it some DLC? I don't remember this alfar nor this banner

Political peace and stability via arranged marriage that eventually leads to .

The short little dwarven merchant soon wins his elven wife's affection by showering her with a metric fuckton of gifts and displaying himself to be a hardworking and caring husband

The Orc princess enjoys the clever quips, scrappy nature, and convenient stature of the Halfling duke as he portrays his people in a stubborn warrior way she's never considered them before

The Drow matriarch likes the way her Illithid steward's tentacle's tickle her when they kiss or make love and how he rips the brains from the skulls of her enemies to reveal insidious plots against her life.

>The Drow matriarch likes the way her Illithid steward's tentacle's tickle her when they kiss or make love and how he rips the brains from the skulls of her enemies to reveal insidious plots against her life.

goddamn nigga, that's the cutest shit i've ever read on this hellhole of a website.

depends on the setting.

If your theme is light-hearted, then love is a good enough reason for people of different species to be in a relationship.

If your theme is grim-derp then it could be a force marriage, out of greed or fear or what have you.

You made me smile. Thank you.

>convenient stature of the Halfling
What are you implying?

Yes, The Legend of Dead kel

He has a much easier time finding and reaching for things like earrings or ceremonial daggers that have slipped under the couches

>Changing "Any port in a storm" to fit dwarves
I love you

Love
Political Advantage.

Being at crotch height is pretty convenient for a lover.

As many said before, love. You're talking about marriage here, not some fuck friends.

If you had been adventuring years with someone, been through literal hell and back, I could see that elf wizard falling in love with the dwarf warrior and finishing their days opening a roadside inn or living on a farmstead somewhere.

And she actually ends up marrying you if you let her follow tou through the last dungeon of the dlc. Regardless of your race, gender, or actual opinion on the matter.

>You're talking about marriage here, not some fuck friends.
Romantic marriages are a product of... well, the romanticist movement. Prior to that marriages were generally affairs of mutual interest and ways to make inheritance convenient. Even today many cultures almost exclusively practice arranged marriages.

Marriages based on love are an extremely recent and almost entirely Western product, not the historical standard. No wonder these emotivist constructs fail about half of the time.

Political reasons maybe:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susa_weddings

Alexander the Great let Persians and Macedonians marry to unite the people, why shouldn't happen the same in a setting?

>what are some non-fetish explanations for these feelings I hear about?

Feelings of attachment, affection, lust, etc. outside of arranged marriages are an old thing user. You just didn't get married for that sort of shit. Marriage is for trading womenfolk over time for strengthened ties, promises, leverage, etc. and to make sure you don't have to fuck your sister to have kids.

I don't really see why standard fantasy races would be all that sexually incompatible with one another to be honest, most of them are basically humans but with one thing changed anyway, so I can't really see any reason why there wouldn't be tons of humans attracted to elves and vice versa. Even orcs could be somewhat attractive to non-orc women for their muscular bodies and masculine attitude alone, though their faces, behaviour and general repulsiveness would probably mostly cancel it out.
I'm sure there'd be plenty of other reasons interracial relationships wouldn't really be common or well-regarded though.

>non-fetish explanations
Just off-hand...

Peace Treaties
Alliances
Women-as-Property (ayyy)
Men-as-Property (lmao)
Experimentation/Science/Alchemy
Breeding the perfect super soldier/Kwisatz Haderach
Apocalyptic-Underpopulation
Sterility plagues
You're an Asari

Fucking A, m8.

What are some non-fetish explanations for inter-race marriages in a modern setting?

Sorry mang, not everything is magical realm.

In a setting with races that live regular years and races that live for hundreds of years there are probably cases of grooming like that of the german/fit/bro and his loli sexslave in-training.

Replace the little girl for a human young woman, replace the german/fit/bro for a husky elf and suddenly it's acceptable and not totally wrong.

What the hell is "swirling"?

It's the fancy name black women that crave white dick came up for themselves.
It's a trend growing stronger by the day and it makes black men /pol/tier butthurt

>in a game where Dwarfs were boring Jewish miner/craftmen who only fought with crossbows, and had no metal in their hearts.

I never want to play in this setting. What is it?

If you think about it, most of the races in fantasy are just that: races.

Sure, elves live more than a thousand years in some settings, but the very fact that they can produce viable offspring with humans proves that they are essentially the same species. They're clearly some kind of Homo. Homo serenus?

With that in mind, inter-race marriages in fantasy settings would happen for similar reasons to inter-race marriages in reality.

I've never got the hatred for race-mixing. If it lets me get my hands on some chocolate ass I'm all for it.

We should just all get along in sexual harmony.

>love and respect each other
>no domestic violence
>pay your taxes
>raise your children to be law-abiding citizens
As long as you've got that covered, fuck and marry whoever or whatever you want.
WhiteMan/BlackGirl couples seem to be better at that

Now explain white woman/black guy couples
Its just the BBC isn't it?

The way that this subject was handled in Star Trek always interested me. Attraction between species seemed to be pretty common (or at least never implied to be taboo or unusual), but you just didn't see a ton of halfbreeds. Even the haughtier races like Cardassians didn't seem to have any compunctions over interspecies sex.

You don't even need the ability to crossbreed. I gay couples make it work, you just get someone else to happen.

It's how I made it work in the setting I was working on that has transitioned from a game into a novel. Couple would get a stire to get the women pregnant. Afterward the stire would be somewhat of an uncle (rare, outside of one of the three races that praticed this), or act like it never happened (more common, and why traveling merchants a common choice for stires).

I had to work out the sexual norms for the setting pretty thoroughly, because one of the main characters was an elvish prostitute. And like all elves, insane by most human measures.

Black cocks are generally about the same size as white cocks. For many woman it's just the exotic factor.

As a chocolate lover myself, I can't blame them for it.

It's just white women that never grow out of the adolecent mindset of rebelling against their parents and black men that see white women as a trophy to steal away from whitey to make him pay for slavery or whatever.

Immature people getting together for immature reasons results in shitty relationships.

>itt

I think a portion of this thread is talking about how much they want to fuck black women, which /pol/ would never openly admit.

Literally all the same reasons humans marry humans

BBC is just a weirdo american made-up fetish thing.

Americans have a crazy creepy race/sex obsession. Probably due to cultural baggage with slavery. I don't get that baggage either. Plenty of other nations had slavery or other issues that aren't nearly as defining as it is for America.

in most of those countries they didn't fight a civil war over it where brothers killed brothers

to say nothing of the general fuckery happening during reconstruction

America is definitely weird about it. The slave-owning culture was definitely of a different stripe. And the American Civil War kind of had a hand in that as well.

I sometimes wonder what modern America would be like if we hadn't fucked up reconstruction so hard.

I would suspect Lincoln would have needed to not have been assassinated for that. He was kind of keeping shit together and had everything on track, but with him out of the way his wet noodle of a Vice President let corruption run rampant and fucked up Reconstruction.

Could have helped heal the divide that grew out of it. Lincoln's who purpose for war and reconstruction was to unite the country again as a unified whole, and fucking up the healing process is not good for that. It's the reason why Civil War casualties are counted as a single statistic when it comes to American casualties; the union was preserved and to recognize the dead of the Confederacy as a separate statistic would give legitimacy to the Confederacy as a sovereign nation.

GM's custom setting.
Needless to say he was pretty pissed I hated his Dwarfs.
Then when my character died, and I played and Elf, he hated that I didn't want to play a hippie tree-lover, and instead wanted to play an Apex Predator Druid.

America's strictly racial based slavery was a somewhat unique development.

While other nations enslaved foreigners, America was the only one where they developed an ethos that only one race was enslaved, and (to a slightly lesser extent) that race was only to exist as slaves.

Because it was so strictly defined, it had a more defining nature.

>It's the fancy name black women that crave white dick came up for themselves.
It sounds a lot more pleasant than coal burners and oil drillers, that's for sure.

Hey now, I'm as /pol/ as it gets, and I want to fuck aliens. Blacks are disgusting subhumans however, and I am physically repulsed by the concept of sex with them; just blacks though, the other races are a-ok.

One of my players plays a half orc, so we decided that he's originally from some barbarian steppe where tribes of orcs and humans lived and often traded and commingled.

as it was, the divide didn't really get healed until the assassination of President Garfield.
It's somewhat of a shame that his death accomplished more than his life possible could. Not that he was a bad president, by all accounts he was an honest and intelligent man. But it was the public and shared act of morning a president who was almost universally liked, and was killed not because of the existing political divide, but the actions of a madman (and the corruption of the spoils system, and shitty medical practices that refused to update).

That and his VP had a massive character turn around after Garfield's death. Those two are often forgotten but deeply fascinating presidents in terms of their history and character.

I'm in a game where half-orc are well respected at least among the common folk, and interbreeding is common to the point that full orcs haven't existed in years.
I'm playing a half orc in the game and coming up with family stories has been grand.

It's also a setting where high elves are basically silly university types, with the military being basically frat bros. While wood elves are operators operating operationally.

If you're on a starship doing trading or exploring, you're probably inclined to meet, or at the very least tolerate, other species and cultures. This seems to go double for the Enlightened Humans of TNG Starfleet, who are most of whom we see deal with this stuff. Combine this with the fact that humanoids in general share enough DNA that the sex bits are all in the right places, and seem to have generally similar sexual standards of attraction, combined with the sexual liberation that Roddenberry pushed so hard, means that Our Heroes would regularly find themselves hooking up with other species.

However, there are a few things that would preclude a massive amount of half-breed kiddos. First, it seems that, while different species might be sexually compatible on a basic level, they don't generally seem to be reproductively compatible. As far as what has been mentioned on-screen, we know that Klingon/Trill presents difficulties, and that Human/Vulcan won't just happen on its own. (Romulans seem to make rape babby fine with Klinks and Humans at least, though; although that might be medically helped as a further insult/psychological attack on the prisoners.) However, the bigger issues are probably cultural: Starfleet, despite Gene's insistence, is military, and especially in a utopian military like Starfleet, it would seriously be frowned upon to just leave little bastards behind at every port. It seems that, at least for sexually-active humans in Starfleet, regular contraceptives are the norm. So, it's unlikely that someone would have kids unless they were planning on it (unless they forgot, like Sisko).

Also, love and lust are easy, while marriage is hard. It's hard when there are general cultural agreements on what a marriage entails; it gets pretty crazy when the expectations are not completely shared. Now imagine what it would be like if cultures were completely different. How many times has Lwaxana been married, or about to be married?

Even puerto-ricans?

What's more interesting is - What if the South won? I think that would've been fucking awesome.

>latinos
>not honorary aryans

>agrarian shit-stain of a half a nation
>winning and dividing the Union
>fucking awesome

We would all have dumb accents tho

>dumb accents
Now y'all listen here, partner, thems be fighten words.

aren't driders a drow half breed? if so they shouldn't be able to interbreed even more

Jews

Whenever two different groups of humans are in close proximity for a long period of time; they'll start to fuck. (See: Canadian Metis; African Americans; Any photo of a large group of people from anywhere on the silk road; Brazil; or Mexico).

Humans are the model for most fantasy races, so whenever fantasy races are in close proximity, some of 'em will start to fuck.

bimp

Oh god they look so good together

Now PC's are always into swirling if they want to be. I had a paladin who had sworn to fight creatures of darkness, orcs were basically spawned from evil humans due to lore.

We got to an Inn and this Orc started hitting on him and he went through this fucking episode of right and wrong until he did her. Then he developed an obsession and began craving them.

>Elf princess married off to human king
>king dies, elf is still in her prime
>king's son lives for-fucking-EVER, marries an elf princess, thus facilitating the takeover of a human kingdom in the span of three human generations

bwwm is the best IRL, literal god tier.

Hell yeah.

You realize this shit happened in real life though, right? Most humans carry genes from extinct hominids that interbred with our ancestors.

In a medievalish setting, it's important to note that your nobility might have a lot of marriages for power, stewardships, that sort of thing. Local nobility are often unrelated by blood to local commoners, have more in common (both in family ties and culturally) with neighboring elites, and so on. Not only are they great candidates for your half breeders, but it shouldn't be beyond the pale to have a dwarf-run stronghold peopled mostly by humans.

Attraction wasn't a non-factor in sex. Especially when mistresses and concubinage were an option.

Also there are avuncular systems, where sex is based primarily on attraction/prestige (albeit with less pair bonding) and kids are raised by sibling groups instead of bonded mates. Also systems that incorporate some mix of pair bonding and avuncular child rearing.

Is love not a thing?

King cotton was slated for a combined soil depletion and market collapse. The south would not have fared very well, at least in the short term.

Earlier rice plantation south > later cotton farming south anyway

>Someone got paid to make this

A Gesture of goodwill/unity between separate races.

It's pretty much how my half-elf investigator's character has a family. Father was a merchant who enjoyed exploring, so one day he came across a community of knife-ears. He decides to ingratiate himself to them, educate them, and civilize them. While the elves appreciate his generosity, they decide to not totally integrate with human society due to certain prejudices. In order to help with that, he decides to marry a random elf woman.

Some years later, they have a daughter. Spends her formative years among her mother's family, doing nature shit and other elfy things. At the age of like 6, she moves over and learns about her dad's business. Gets tutored in more practical things like literature and math.
By 10, she has to make a choice on who she wants to live with and decides to learn business with dad.

I'm black and even I don't understand why white men would go for black women when white women exist. I understand Asian women, considering they're an all-round upgrade (especially when they're from conservative families) but black ones?

Driders are what happens when Drow fail a quest given to them by Loth. That and a few other possible mutations/curses.

Look it up!

Not to sound racist (too late) but white guys are around more white chicks, and the vast majority of them have less going on physically than the average black girl. That said there are other reasons that nobody likes black girls that we wont go into, but let me put it this way: I have never once seen a flat-chested/assed black girl in my entire life.