Did you ever come across an idea/concept that at first glance seemed utterly stupid, but the more you thought about it...

Did you ever come across an idea/concept that at first glance seemed utterly stupid, but the more you thought about it, the more you realized that you actually liked it?

Pic related: Tacticool werewolf operators.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Werwolf)
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

i dunno it seems if you have an important stealth infiltration mission then turning into a huge wild killing beast with zero self-control doesn't seem like a tactical advantage

Personally I think werewolf operators works best in a sort of wacky occult world war 2 type setting.
Although actually, Werewolf 'Nam could probably be pretty fun, too.

Go jerk off somewhere else and take these fetish threads you've been polluting or board with for weeks now with you degenerate trash.
Shouldn't you be watching zootopia on Blu-ray or something?
Faggot

>works best in a sort of wacky occult world war 2 type setting.
I'm now imagening Operation Werwolf (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Werwolf) with real lycanthropes...

No, see, you keep them in human form for the infiltration part of the mission then you change them into wolf form once the target is sighted.

How are people this stupid?

The best assassin is one who doesn't need to hide.

I think the real advantages lie more in the across the board buffs they get even when not wolfing out (sharper senses, ridiculous durability and physical resilience, et cetera), than in the actual ability to turn into a massive, bloodraging, murder machine. Though if you need to make a distraction for the rest of your team to get away...

why not just snipe like a pro
why go for the bloodbath
no plausible deniability, instant alerts (no stealth extraction)

He's not stupid, it's no secret that a certain guy or maybe a few have been using this board to sneak in their fetishes on display. Of course people are fed up with it.

Nearly whole setting of Endless Legend.
>Dragon diplomancers
>retardedly big ears of elves
>BDSM masochist wizards
>magic nanomachines are used to make currency
>Orc is Hurna word for "hunter"

99% of all operations would be traditional, cloak and dagger, hit and run type stuff.
The transformation would be if shit goes south, you and your team are now cut off and surrounded, and you either need to make an eacape route or need to take as many people out as possible before going down.

>why not just snipe like a pro
How actually does eyesight in wolves compare to humans?

Poorer color perception, better night vision, not sure about resolution at distance.

I once wrote werewolves as secret terror weapons meant to be used behind the enemy lines, but the campaign petered out before I could introduce them. (it would've been basically the Rock, but with lycanthropes)

That just leaves the whole exfiltration part. Not exactly convenient when everyone's searching for the half-naked, puffed-out faggot in the kevlar bondage-vest

Have you been reading Cry Havoc, OP?

>a huge wild killing beast with zero self-control
Depends on the setting.

uh okay dude

>be stealth op team
>target sighted
>sharpshooter gets into position
>hol up I got a neat trick to improve my eyesight even though I have a billion dollar state of the art scoped rifle
>hulks out into warbeast form frothing with rage and bloodlust
>he tries to take the shot
>crushes the gun
>he doesn't even notice because he's already fragging the support team
>mfw

every time with this

>Cry Havoc
Never heard of that (I think). Care to elaborate?

>I got a neat trick to improve my eyesight even though I have a billion dollar state of the art scoped rifle
Yeah, well the idea would be obviously if didn't have a scoped gun.

Are you holed up in a building that is immune to RPG and mortor fire? The only "tactical" advantage would be movement speed. Only time it would be useful is if you're not getting out, no ammo, no supplies, and everyone wants to CQC you.

I only read like the first issue, but it's some comic about a girl who turns werewolf and gets recruited by a spec ops squad of werewolves.

nice magical realm, faggot. Take your fetish elsewhere

I like this idea more than the OP's. The way I'd run it, one nation would capture a werewolf (or perhaps he's one of them to begin with) and get him into enemy held territory. Once the full moon hits, he'd go berserk in a town or village somewhere, infecting a bunch of people. Doesn't matter if he dies as long as he passes on the curse.

A month later the victims turn into werewolves and infect a bunch more people. Bonus points if the original target was a tourist destination so that the curse spreads back to their homes.

This continues on, forcing the enemy to dedicate resources to stamping the curse out or risk having their population gradually turned into werewolves, losing a significant number of people every month too.

>one nation would capture a werewolf (or perhaps he's one of them to begin with) and get him into enemy held territory.
So basically the backstory to Alien.

Except furry.

Hadn't actually thought of it that way, but I can see the connection... I'm not above stealing good ideas for my campaigns.

Also, I don't go in for this furry bullshit. Werewolves are vicious, man eating monsters, with no benefits for them in human form. They're cursed, not given some extra abilities to make them a counterpart to vampires.

>Magical realm
You don't even know what the word you're using means. Get the fuck out and/or stop whining because you don't like what OP posted. This is a legitimate thread.

>Also, I don't go in for this furry bullshit.
I just meant it literally, as in a xenomorph but with pelt.

Oh, never mind then. That word gets thrown about as an insult so often on this board that I can't think of it any other way now.

But yeah, I like the idea of using werewolves as biological weapons. I mean, what better way of disrupting your enemy's society than having their own people slaughter each other every month?

Bah, if you just want them for their infectious properties, might as well use vampires. They have the whole undead horror, unsatiable blood urges, zombie's sharper cousin vibe going for them anyway. If you're going to use a werewolf as a weapon, it would be as steroids for your troops. After all, most werewolves get buffs in their non-wolf form as well, while not being as out of control as vampires.

>Bah, if you just want them for their infectious properties, might as well use vampires.
I really think the idea of vampire bites being viral is stupid.

Werewolf? Maybe, after all you have to be A) the target of the attack and they usually maul animals in the wilderness and B) survive the attack which is highly unlikely.

Whereas vampires implicitely target humans and are usually sapient as to not suck them dry, as such the victim would be highly likely to also turn into a vampire yadda yadda fast forward oops everyone's a vamp unlesss they decide to start sucking cows.

Nah, I prefer vampires to fill a different niche. Where werewolves are uncontrolled growth and bloodlust, vampires are more human-like.

Also, I said earlier in the thread that I prefer my werewolves to be legitimately cursed. No passive buffs in human form. They're either regular, normal, human, or they're a ravening monster. No control, no becoming one with the beast. You're possessed by something that just wants to feed and kill. Nothing more, nothing less.

Vampires, on the other hand, are less physically powerful in my preferred settings, but they're just as smart as other humans and have centuries of experience to make them dangerous. While vampirism is a curse, it isn't one with an off switch.

I prefer the idea that vampires have to kill to turn their victims and that most vampires choose not to do so because they've generally got a good thing going for themselves and don't want to fuck it up by murdering a bunch of people.

That's the ENTIRE point of werewolves, user. It's a curse. A blight. Bestial rage beyond the control of man, erupting and causing terrible havoc.

Not a furry superpower you can turn on and off at will.

>sneak in
Mate, people have been screaming their fetishes at the top of their lungs for years now to the response of "Yeah, ok, well MY fetish is more hardcore than yours".

OP is just a furry fetishist. Don't legitimize his autism.
see

>Not a furry superpower you can turn on and off at will.
Something something druids.

Movement speed and being immune to non-silver small arms fire means everything is CQC.
RPGs and Mortars would be a problem, but hopefully you're in a position where your opponent won't risk shelling their own assets as well.

People don't become druids when they get brutally mauled by occult creatures and barely survive.

>USAMC
What's that supposed to be? Marine Corps?

Dogfaces are keeping me away from Infinity more than the animu shit, desu

>People don't become druids when they get brutally mauled by occult creatures and barely survive.
Nah, they become priests.

nah, vamps are still smart. sooner or later they're going to get organized and start forming their own undead army.
with werewolves you get people who are so scared of the monster they become they never think of teaming up with others and when they're wolves there only cunning and be taken out with relative ease when it's time for clean up

What part of "depends on the setting" can you not get through your thick skull?

I always liked the idea, but the game it was used in wasn't that great.

United States of Ariadna Marine Corps

>I need these lights on my groinplate

If you're not gonna make them werewolves then don't call them werewolves. You're using words that have a specific meaning and cutting out half of what they are.

You're taking a cherry pie and replacing it with either an apple pie or some sort of cherry tart. Don't call it cherry pie if it's only cherry or pie

Depends on the setting

You mean the screws, bolts, studs, whatever?

I'm pretty sure they're screws/bolts.

Okay but why does it have purple fur?
Frankly that looks pretty bad.

Looks auburn to me.

How are you such a yiffing furry faggot

Werewolf means Man-Wolf
Sure it's got a lot of history to the traditional "Loss of self on the full moon as their body goes off to rip and tear.", but there have been subversions and alternate interpretations for decades. Insisting that any instance of anything conform to one well known version is absurd. Variety is the spice of life. Homogenisation is boring and you'll have a hard time finding anyone that agrees on making everything the same.

Or more simple put: We aren't going to stop liking something you don't like just because it's not the classic.

You...may want to get your eyes checked.

Huh, I've always seen auburn described pretty much between wine and burgundy on that chart there.

Oh boy, you are a lot of fun at parties, aren't you? So what if the same myth has different takes in different regions? Does the region that came up with it later just magically lose the right to use the same word to describe their myth?

You do realize that pretty much none of the modern interpretations of classic myths cleave to the original, right? Zombies, vampires, witches, literally anything at all that has its roots in oldschool folklore.

And all of those differ between the different settings they occur in. That's what settings are a thing for: To establish their own, internal rulesets based upon the rules commonly adhered to in their genre. Really, the setting should not be an alien idea to anyone on Veeky Forums.

Do you also burst into other threads to tell people their Elves aren't really Elves, because they are not nature spirits that lure travellers into peat bogs or exchange their own, ugly children for pretty, human children which they will raise as their own?

It's fitting that you talk about cherry tarts, because the lady doth protest too much, methinks.

nah, I'm just annoyed when people lazily co-opt literary terms as shorthand. It's the worst style of writing. Instead of taking something with an established meaning and pulling out vital parts, just take the small effort of making a new name.

Shifter, Wolfsblut, whatever. Shit names but a quick example. Otherwise you're spending all your time explaining how your version is different.

>but in MY setting...

Fair enough. I always thought it meant a red red-brown until I was looking up hair colours for an unrelated reason. Turns out no, it's actually just my haircolour. Herp. Derp.

>folklore
>literary term

If you're going to have such strong opinions on this, at least try to not be completely retarded.

> doesn't like people using familiars names for settings because differences need to be explained
Buddy do you know where you are right now?

>Instead of taking something with an established meaning and pulling out vital parts, just take the small effort of making a new name.
That's all nice and dandy from a writer's perspective, but are the people in the setting coming up with any fancy terms? The supersitious peons are still gonna call it a something-wolf.

Yeah, and those pieces of shit should take theither trash to /b/ and sage themselves from Veeky Forums instead of trying to hide behind the pretence of a "legitimate" thread.

>Furries in space the game.
>That sounds retarded
>Wonder if the rules are any good
>Heh. There's rules specifically for edgelord shit. That's funny.
>I wonder why Transient Tech. Industries is scared of Jupiter
>Shit. Transient implants sound hilarious
>Some of these monsters actually sound terrifying.

I'm not gunna hail it is some hidden masterpiece but I was surprised by it anyway. There's enough here that I was able to talk some friends into a possible game once I get some time to sit down and learn the rules proper.

Larry Correia has pretty much this in the Monster Hunter International series

The expansion has a race of bugs that you can play as. They can only become sentient by consuming the brain of a Vector.

Just an intro comic but 1st edition Get of Fenris tribe book had similar idea

I'm annoyed that you are co-opting werewolf when obviously its a man who wears the pelt of a wolf to become a wolf after making a deal with the devil.
And vampires are just ravenous corpses, don't dress it up with your fancy nosferatu bullshit and call it folklore.

The Thing as a race in a setting.

Even more, a playable race.

To be fair, I never look at "modern" (read: pop-culture) interpretations of anything regarding myth.

Let's see about few...
>Magic can be only performed after blood sacrifice
>Grey goo
>Guns are not balanced against any other weapons at all
>Magitech airships
>Lycantropy is a one-way ticket
>Big-ass insects in Neo-Carboniferous
>Entire setting takes place in relatively small, secluded area
>Everyone and everything is a robot, no a single biological lifeform
>Domesticated dinos
>Spirit world travels

Werewolf means absolutely nothing for me, since I'm not a native English speaker. For me it's just an English world for wilkoĊ‚ak, meaning a guy turning into a wolf, for few different reasons, each unrelated with another. Bless a more complex folklore, I guess.

And you should take your meds for autism.

Not him, but imagine all of this within single setting

Underwater, stone-age setting.
The more I think about it, the more I want to play something like that.

Not the same autist guy but werewolves are not English folklore but come from gypsy folklore. It was brought to Europe by the Roma. In the folklore it is indeed a curse and the person becomes a bestial animal and loses control often killing family members or other loved ones. Other cultures have shape shifters too but they are not called werewolves, they are called something else.

I wouldn't use the term werewolf and then run a creature based on the Navajo skinwalkers for instance. Yes they can shape shift into other animals but the similarity ends there.

Honestly, if someone says "werewolf" or any other folklore critter without further fluff or setting specifics I'm going to assume they mean the creature from its native folklore.

There is only a single organization with access to magic, and they kill any sorcerer who doesn't submit to their orders.

There's a webcomic that has characters kinda sorta like that. Genetically created human-animal hybrids trained as supersoldier/assassins. First generation was all male, they went berserk and had to be put-down. Second generation was all female, they worked pretty well. Third generation was genetically "perfect" in that they potentially had max stats in everything. They could also procreate with other humans. Unfortunately, money became tight, and the project was shut down, violently. Many of the hybrids were slaughtered, only a small handful remain. They're in hiding.[/spoiler] Of course this is all just backstory for more or less slice of life, furry wish fulfilment, shenanigans.

Makes no difference for me, really. It's just catch-it-all term at this point in pop-culture. Not to mention language barriers

Our group once played a gurps game where the setting was just 3 different official gurps settings chosen at random.
We ended up with espionage, ice age, and uplift (antho shit).
I played a spy penguin named Max Peng, we also had a genetically augmented polar bear with 5 months to live (basically mgs4 solid snake, but also a polar bear), and a corgi mechanic who was also a dad.
The game ended up having more pathos and character development than any of our other games.
The womanizer James Bond (penguin) learned to place love in a woman just to have her kidnapped and brainwashed, the polar bear who just wanted to die in battle decided he wanted to live, and the corgi came to terms with his shortcomings as a father.
I think the fact this game started off as a joke took the pressure off and allowed for a lot of creative freedom.

Are you sure about that?

There is such fantasy novel, where things run on the concept that everything is made from four basic elements and depending on how strong your character is, you influence reality around you, or it affects you. Meaning getting close to the lair of deranged fire spirit meant walking through fiery wasteland, then turning into fire elemental on the way, then killing it and things around getting slowly back to "normal", where normal means "influenced by other powerful things and beings".
Exploiting above, bunch of mages created their own state, where they've turned everything into their liking, basically becoming gods above semi-sentient drones, robbed from any vestige of humanity.

Read it at first and I was like "who wrote this crap". But the more I think about it, the better game setting would it make, with constant dynamics about who is who and what are the goals.

what probably happened is you misread or were ill informed the first time, and have then 'seen' the wrong colour everytime since, given almost everytime you've seen the word 'auburn' it hasn't been clarified, so you've just gone 'ah yeah, purple-ish'

It's just werewolves, dude. Kind of a staple of fantasy settings and a lot of different types of traditional games.

Don't be so insecure, not everything is being talked about because it's a fetish.

Irish werewolves aren't violent, they leave donations of fish for poor families.

almost everything related to this game

Why...?

Because the role of man-eating monster in Irish folklore is already fulfilled by the English.

so swatcats. but with dogs instead of cats.

Aye, siwmae.

But how do the dots of man turning into feral beast connect with collecting fish for the poor?

I don't car if it's odd, but I don't follow the internal logic here.

Well, to be fair, the codifier for most vampire lore these days is Dracula, which set them up as sophisticated, intelligent and malicious, with a variety of strengths and weaknesses.

Is the top one Codex Alera? The Canim were fairly cool as far as wolfmen went.

Don't know, never heard about it anything more than the title.

>Dracula
>Not novels by Anna Rice
Seriously, user?