So I want to get into this. I have no cards and no idea how to play

So I want to get into this. I have no cards and no idea how to play.

Any good kits or packages to buy that can get me started?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=70cbNJrs2Xw
youtube.com/watch?v=SvseDNbzPtM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Step One: Realize card games are trash.
Step Two: Play literally any other kind of game.

I'd seriously consider the Bejeweled addicts to be higher up on the ladder than CCG nerds.

Step one: Find a friend who wants to play too
Step two: Buy a pair of duel decks
Step three: Read the instructions they come with

you down load magic duels from steam for free

This.

It's literally that simple.

The best way to learn is to find a group of people who already play and are willing to teach you the game. I've taught loads of friends to play Magic over the years. So many that Wizards should be paying me a commision.

Another good way of learning is the Duels of the Planeswalker games. They're really well done.

Yeah but what are some good decks or kits or whatever to buy?

Don't. Go play literally any other card game that's not this overpriced overhyped piece of garbage. Save yourself before it's too late.

the Deckbuilders Toolkit is meh, but it's a place to start, same with fat packs. One thing to understand is that this game is very expensive to play in any established format aside from Pauper and there are very few people who play Pauper offline. Maybe start playing casual Sealed (6 packs to build a deck from plus basic lands) with a friend and see what formats people in your area play.

Like what? Yugioh?

This will save you lot of money and give you lots of powerful cards
>youtube.com/watch?v=70cbNJrs2Xw
>youtube.com/watch?v=SvseDNbzPtM

>Any good kits or packages to buy that can get me started?

No, buy singles and prepare to shell out 400-1500 on a competitive deck.

Avoid intro decks like a plague. They're shit.

Depends on how far down the rabbit hole you want to go. If it's just something you want to try & maybe goof around on the kitchen table with a couple of your friends. Starcitygames sells lots of 1000 cards for like $20+s&h, or check ebay for something similar. Those usually give you a huge variety of cards to build/rebuild decks.

Sealed/Draft is another option, you get 3-6 packs of cards & build a deck out of those & play other people who did the same for more packs but it be a while to get good at that. You also really only get to see cards from the current block.

If you want to actually get competitive & play in one of the formats, prepare to shell out $500+ in singles and then spend months to years getting good with the deck, only for a key piece to be banned or rotates out.

Lmao wow

Is it like that with yugioh?

I haven't played it, but heard it's just a massive power creep.

They'll print broken cards that become expensive staples, then reprint them to destroy the 2nd market, then finally ban the staple or print something better.

It looks fun to play casually though, and cheaper then magic.

Bitter Modernfag is bitter that Standard rotates and Twin ate a ban.

Go to your local LGS and tell them you're interested in playing. They have how-to decks of 30 cards that you can learn the game with for free, then you can mash them together and have a legal 60-card deck.

Hey, Hi-jacking this thread.

I work in household liquidation and we had some magic cards today. I've already sorted and priced.

So: Its 402 cards mostly from 3rd/Revised. Some from Chronicles and some from Ice/Home. All in rather good condition. A little corner damage, few light scratches.

Using market prices from TCGPlayer, I have come up with an estimate of ~$80 pieced out.
I've taken the Swords to Plowshares for myself. Do you think it would be fair enough to sell the lot at antique store - level for ~$25? This includes a 110 Revised basic lands.

20$ can get you a t1 deck in hearthstone
>buy blackrock mountain
>disenchant everything except emperor thaurissan
>make literally any deck

Pokémon has a wider meta and is waaaay cheaper. For MTG get a mortgage and prepare your anus

Yugioh's structure decks are actually meta defining. By buying 3 of one, (Monarchs or Pendulums is your best bet right now) you'll have most if not all the pieces you need for a competitively viable deck. Having played Yugioh, Hearthstone, Pokemon, and magic all casually, I would say Magic has the most varied possible casual playstyles. At the competitive level I've only played pokemon, but quit last year after Mew EX and Computer Search rotated out of standard. The world champions' decks usually cost under $200. The main card driving up the price right now is a card called shaymin ex, which is ridiculously powerful and an autoinclude in almost every deck. The least amount of money I've spent on any tcg I've played is Hearthstone ($0), and I still have fun with it. I hope something in there helped OP.

Magic is only expensive if you choose to make it expensive. Frankly, I think anyone playing Modern, Legacy, Vintage, Standard, or Commander either already have the cards because they're a collector, or they're a bit of an idiot.

Buy a couple Duel Decks, play some casual games, have a grand old time. When that gets old buy some bulk commons or whatever else is cheaper than booster packs.

If you play casually long enough that the game starts to seem unfair (because, say, you have more cards than all your friends), then that's when you look into a format. The good cheap ones are Pauper, Noble, and also Drafting if you're willing to trade back the valuable cards you draft for more packs to draft from.

If you and a friend wan't to test dip into magic, then duel deck is the best to go. It contains two ready to play decks.
If you want a bang for your buck 'starter decks' then go for either duel deck, event deck or commander precons. However outdated these things are, they still offers you multiple useful/interesting rares.

Never buy : Starter decks. These almost always contains shit cards and a couple of shit rares plus 2 booster packs. Buy these if they're selling it for under 2 booster packs price (you're mainly buying it for the boosters).

>recommending hearthstone over mtg

McKill yourself.

Go to your lgs and ask about their duel decks. Pick whichever looks the coolest. They're all about the same in quality and will all get you equally far towards a competitively viable card collection (i.e. virtually not at all, but that shouldn't really be what you're aiming for anyway). I recommend having someone teach you if you can swing it if only because self-taught players tend to miss or misunderstand one or more key rules. If nothing else, you might try Magic Duels on Steam, though the tutorials teach the mechanics at such a snail's pace that even retards would find it tedious. It might also be a good opportunity to see if it's your cup of tea at all, though the starter cards in the Magic Duels sets obviously only stick to very simple mechanics.

Honestly dude, there is no way to tell what the collection is worth without a full and comprehensive (this includes editions and conditions)list of every card you got. Some are really expensive, most are do worthless as to being less then the ink and cardboard it was used to make them. And please don't post that list, nobody here cares enough to go through them. Basic lands are worth nothing unless they are very special printings ( full art and guru lands). Swords to plowshares is worth pennies, the money cards are the power nine ( Google them, I'm not gonna hold your hand. Your and adult). Yes you will get fucked over selling them in bulk, no matter what. Also no antique store wants them, as they are not antique (there is an actual definition to antique. I think over 75 years old), mostly because only a small niche market wants them. Either sell them off Craigslist or take it to a LGS to sell them. Or I can buy the whole thing for 10 bucks you cover shipping

Android: Netrunner.

>using ironbark in a deck
yukk