Why are Barbarians so fucking awesome?

Why are Barbarians so fucking awesome?

Other urls found in this thread:

gutenberg.net.au/ebooks13/1303751h.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Maybe you just like muscled men

They know what's best in life.

They're typically a very effective martial class with a lot of room for interpretation.

The barbarian can be anything from a tribal warrior to a chubby city-dweller that knows how to get *really* angry during brawls, or a shock trooper that's able to enter a martial trance in the thick of battle.

Primal fury. They represent your inner urge to wreck all the civilized bullshit keeping you from what you want.

Everybody wants to be able to just fuck everyone's shit up and take what they want.

This answer is best answer

I was in a group with a girl who played a female gnome barbarian with pink hair who was the tankiest and heaviest hitting person in the group while laughing about murder.

Left that group pretty fast. Haven't liked barbarians since.

Sounds like you got triggered

Here are some Conan stories.

gutenberg.net.au/ebooks13/1303751h.html

1) Strong and confident outsider figures.
2) morally flexible. On the side of neither good nor evil.
3) cool class/ character abilities. Able to survive attacks/ environments that would kill or cripple another character.
4) Robert E Howard.

Poppy and Zarya need a word with you.

How to spot retarded dndfag 101:

If you see a common word with estabilished meaning used, and someone assumes it means it means a class or other mechanical concept from dnd that is fairly removed from this eatabilished meaning, thats bingo

In 3.PF and 5e they're front-line martials that don't require a terrible amount of design or system knowledge to be playable.

3.PF Fighter is *great* is you want maximum flexibility to create a precisely tuned build to your exact needs and specifications but you're one bad equipment choice or sub-optimal feat pick away from crashing and burning.

Barbs on the other hand come mostly ready-to-play out of the box with basic strategies like "charge in and hit things" and a "RIP AND TEAR YOUR GUTS" button.

This makes them an *excellent* choice for a beginner interested in martials but also a viable party member in their own right which makes for an excellent form of on-the-job training. By the time a person has gotten tired of being Conan they'll have a better idea what else they could be if they wanted.

Son, this is Veeky Forums not Veeky Forums, /v/, or Veeky Forums and we are sure as hell not talking about 40k barbarians, Mechwarrior barbarians, Monopoly barbarians, or Checkers barbarians.

I don't now what /pol/-invaded hellscape you're from but around we talk about things in the context of traditional games.

Traditional games certainly do not end with dnd/pf contrary to what many of you faggots believe

FUNFACT: Conan The Barbarian was actually a rogue, a king, a warrior, and even cast spells from time to time.

Yeah, but he cast spells with the "Use any item" thief trait.

Or whatever it was, it's been a long time since D&D for me.

Use Magic Device is oddly enough, strictly a thief trait and Bard trait.

Really fucking stupid.

Barbarians aren't civilized. They don't need to conform to societal boundaries or codes. A barbarian does what a barbarian wants to do.

The barbarian can act 'stupid' or 'selfish' or 'irresponsible' or 'immoral'... the list goes on. They can act that way not because they are (or aren't) any of those things, but because they fulfill their own needs regardless of what society thinks, not in spite of it.

In a word, rogues are sneaky, wizards are smart, clerics are devout, and Barbarians are confident.

>one shitspawn does thing badly
>dislike the thing as a whole
i'm so tired of likes of you

A barbarian is more a state of mind/ social construct. You are a barbarian because the "civilized" world deems you to be one. It does not matter what your class is. A sorcerer, rogue, cleric, or fighter can all come from a barbarian society.

Which is still honestly a waste because you've devoted a whole class around one ability that you could easily give to anyone else and had to extrapolate a bunch of bullshit to justify it

21st castrated male power fantasy

Sage

how to spot the shitposter 101: person is you.

kek nice one

no but if you mention a fucking Ranger or Paladin you can be sure as hell the first thing people are gonna think is DnD/Pathfinder because both are pretty central to Veeky Forums even as musch they like to throw bile at both.

If OP did not mean Mazes and Monsters or Routesearcher then they just had to specify that to avoid them being brought up.

True, but if someone mentions Barbarian(capitalized, mind you, so not just a generic barbarian) without any context, they almost certainly mean the Barbarian class. Especially since this is Veeky Forums. If you're triggered by that, maybe you should go to .

We all know the truth.

If SJWs or whatever are allowed to have safe spaces, I'm allowed to have power fantasies.

It's not like you can stop me anyway.

>WHY WON'T PEOPLE PLAY MY SUPERIOR INDIE RPGS FUCKING WOTC NORMIE GARBAGE REEEEEE
This is you right now. Stop being a faggot and talk about manly men doing manly things.

Barbarians in D&D are specifically people, mostly from uncivilized tribes, that are really good at wrecking shit because they are ANGRY and will RIP AND TEAR YOUR GUTS

Tribals =/= Barbarians

>Muh social constructs

>>>/tumblr/

>idiot berserkers who throw screaming temper tantrums

I prefer Conan.

>Barbarians, such as Conan by R.E.Howard are castrated male power fantasies!
>But not Superman, Batman, Iron Man, or any other contemporary ''heroes''

Fuck you, barbarians are the Hercules' of fantasy-settings and the ubermenschen Nietzsche would be proud of.

You mean, talking about game that despite having a class that is called a "barbarian" utterly fails at emulating your pic related?

Or talking about mechanical bullshit like classes or "how good is a barbarian in miniature tactical boardgame camouflaging as rpg" because he has this and that ability?

Instead of discussing actual barbarian as character archetype/trope/type of culture?

Top kek, D&D fags actually believe that talk about their autistic rulesets is somehow "manly".

Top kek.

Why is Path of the Totem Warrior so shitty? :(

>le wimmenz can't be barbarians meme
simply ebin

sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how little damage I'm taking.

They are the greatest warriors in all the lands. And they're not kidding! They throw three attack dice, not even the gargoyle can stand up to that!

>not going bear totem
>not wearing a bear pelt
>not looking ike a bear in battlle
>not constantly making bear puns
>not being bros with the druid
>not riding the druid when he turns into a bear in battle
>not having resistance to basically all damage

What, would you rather rage yourself to death as a berserker?

Fuck, that's a wolf pelt

I'm a stupid barbarian.

>tries to shit on D&D
>Uses a D&D picture for may mays

Jesus, sure is summer around here

>because it's relatively easy to play a Barbarian well.
Or
>some cool barbarians in literature and other media-both fiction and non-fiction

Repressed homosexuality

You have a good point, but you present it shittily

Fuck mechanics, discuss fluff

Because I want to play RIP AND TEAR DOOMGUY but my group likes fantasy settings too much

I'd like to post The Complete Barbarian's Handbook here, but it's too big, so just Google it. The basic barbarian in the book is just a fighter with bonuses to wilderness stuff like climbing and leaping, but the kits add a lot of flavour, including bonuses, hindrances and roleplaying stuff for barbarians from specific environments.

For instance, there's a kit for polynesian barbarians called the Islander who can turn an ordinary weapon into an invisible, magical weapon made of pure mana. These barbarians are followed (or believe they are followed) by a hungry ancestor spirit, so they have to leave out food for it or suffer a morale penalty. Also they can shapeshift into an iguana, turtle or crab.

Then there's a savannah barbarian called the Brushrunner that can run super-fast. They are keen artists and can make bark paintings with healing properties, a kind of totem that repels undead, and small animal statue that does nothing but sells for good money. Once a year they are given a task by their elders like slaying a particular animal or mentoring a young brushrunner.

There's also the Brute (prehistoric caveman barbarian with thick skin and enhanced senses), the Forest Lord (not-Tarzan who can swing from trees and speak to animals) and the Planesrider (native american barbarian good at horse riding and archery). The book also has the Ravager, a kit for the traditional berserker-barbarian, and a kit called the Wizard Slayer, a kind of barbarian who can sense magic and illusions, hurt enemies who are normally immune to non-magical attacks, and radiates a permanent "Protection from Evil" aura.

The book also has a class for barbarian shamans and kits for that too. Tons of flavour for primitive characters even if you're not playing 2e. When you think about all the different primitive cultures in the world, it helps get out of the rut of always playing Conan.

They aren't.

Well, they are the quintessential murderhobos from history.

They are though.

It doesn't matter if you believe it's a bear pelt!

>being friends with druid
>while you probably murdered a bear and wear it's skin
Depends on the se- druid, maybe.

Why would you deliberately limit discussion to a class from a mediocre game.

Actual barbarian warriors are fighters more often than not anyway.

>opinions

>not wearing a bear pelt
>wearing a wolf pelt
>I'm a stupid barbarian.
Yes, you fucking are!

Death is integral part of a cycle, duh. And if you can dead meat, why can't you use its pelt for stuff?

Point taken.

Because we as people understand just how fucking strongk you have to be to charge headfirst into a line of 250lb+ 7' tall orcs wielding battle axes, and cleave them in half with one swing, while getting stabbed half a dozen times and still being able to fight.

There's no proxy for thinking hard enough to throw fireballs.

>look he used image from x as reaction image
>that proves [insert anything] about x

yes, show me more of your stupidity, it's delicious

>Uses a D&D picture for may mays

It's from Pathfinder.

Because you're a repressed homosexual.

While you are technically correct, you are also apparently the victim of being forced to play with some terrible druids.

RAW 5e druids come into play with leather armor, no choices. You are proficient with light and medium armors and shields but "will not" use metal ones (no mechanics.) That only leaves padded, leather, studded leather, and hide (specifically made of furs because it's partially misnamed) as choices and the only one that doesn't automatically use dead animal bits is padded, which is sub-optimal but cheap, and you already start with better. Padded still uses wool or down for the batting unless your setting has reached whatever TL gives nylon.

PF Druids are "prohibited" from wearing any armor but padded, leather, or hide at the cost of temporarily losing spellcasting, otherwise earlier applies.

tl;dr 5e/PF druid is saving up for a sweet pelt himself. Anyone who's playing a druid as a Vegan is a naked moron. Even PF's "wooden" armor is made out of leather.

>potato potatoe

>Druid being mad an apex predator did its thing

>Druid caring about nature.
Get in my league, son. This be 4ed.

Because they solve challenges by Manning Up. Greater the challenge the more they Man Up. No magic, no gods. They just nut up and beat you in.

????????

i swear the way you guys talk i wonder if you're fucking schizo

>i swear the way you guys talk i wonder if you're fucking schizo

A good number of anons here do admit to having mental problems. And intoxicated posting happens too.

>intoxicated posting happens too.
Those are my favorite.

Truly, the barbarian is the best thing about heroquest

Because, unlike just about all other heroic archetypes, the Barbarian's power comes from himself. His power doesn't come by the authority of king or creed, it doesn't come from study or wealth, it doesn't come from magic. The Barbarian is the purest representation of self-actualization. He shapes the world around him through sheer force of will and personal strength.

it's a fucking travesty that korgoth of barbaria never got picked up

Classic hyper masculine power fantasy class.

Because they get three attack dice, thats even more than the gargoyle

They don't take shit they give shits
Crush all opposents ma all the gods of furious strong and live like A windrammer while they fuck

I'm happy for your group, sounds like they dodged a bullet there.

In my experience with fa/tg/uys, about 40% show signs or admitt being diagnosed with disorders, usually depression or anxiety problems, but a good number are on the autism spectrum.

The open steppe, fleet horse, falcons at your wrist, and the wind in your hair?

WRONG!

They represent the archetypal herculean kickassery

Bar bar bar, barbar bar bar bar bar bar

>Bar-bar b-b-bar, bar-bar bar-bar-bar, bar-bar b-b-bar
... they want your bad romance?

Solely because of Basil Poledorius

this t b h