Which of the following acts causes a paladin to fall?

Which of the following acts causes a paladin to fall?

> Deliberately killing an innocent man to save another innocent man in a diabolical scheme
> Deliberately killing an innocent man to save what he thought was another innocent man but was actually a lich
> Accidentally putting on the helm of opposite alignment
> Accidentally giving the helm of opposite alignment to his paladin friend, causing him to fall, then subsequently killing him because he was acting evil
> Accidentally leaving a shop with goods in his pocket
> Looting what he thought was a dungeon but was actually somebody's home
> Looting what he thought was a dungeon but was actually a temple to his god
> Sleeping with an underage person who assured him she was 18
> It also turns out it was his sister
> Killing an innocent man while under a spell
> Killing an innocent man because he drank a potion causing berserk rage that was served to him as beer
> Having his god die somehow
> His god has become chaotic evil somehow
> His order has become chaotic evil somehow
> His order is telling him to kill innocent people so he rebels but it turns out those innocent people were actually evil sorcerers
> Choosing himself to live instead of an NPC in a diabolical scheme where he gets to choose who lives

Also it's way more fun to scheme than to tell people to not play paladins so shut up.

1, technically 3, more factors need for 4, 16

Hm assuming that paladin is a paragon of his / her god's domain.

And that gods sometimes happen to be ascended mortals.

Why not go with god having middleage crisis and swapping its own alignment to neutral.
At least, untill it found new purpose and domain, after partying in mortal realm, bedding hoes and drinking heavily.

Depends.
On.
Setting.
(and DM)

In brightright or Points of Light. NONE of those cause a paladin to fall. They keep their powers to the day they die.

Only intention counts

That's contradictory. If he sacrifices innocents to save himself so he can kill an evil lich later and save more innocents he's definitely no longer lawful good.

you forgot
>asking complicated moral questions in regards to a system clearly not made for complicated moral dilemmas
that's an instant fall right there
have you tried not playing dnd?

1, 2, 4, 5 (Assuming you mean stealing here), 6&7 (If he doesn't give the stuff back), 12 (in most settings), 13 (in most situations), 16 (Depending on his deity; Deity of Strength? You're probably good. Deity of Compassion or Sacrifice? Probably fall.)

If you're going to pull some dick move out of your hat like "paladins fall, everyone dies" then you might as well let them switch to fighter for the sessions that their deity is dead or whatever.

Yeah but that's intentional.
Executing a bunch of innocents under the illusion of being criminals is not intentionally killing civies.

nevermind I'm tired and I just misread the whole thing.

Paladins? Fallen!?

Give them to me, I will raise them to serve me as death kn- I mean, serve their communities in the afterlife as retribution for their misdeeds in their former lives. Yes!

This

>18
M8. In medieval societies she is an old maid already.

What part of "willingly commits an evil act" do you not understand? Are you a retard?

There are no one single act that condemns a paladin to fall. It takes a series of events that require the paladin to take drastic actions in order to stop the BBEG. Only, each subsequent event blinds the paladin to recognize whether drastic actions are needed in the first place.
Take for example, Prince Arthuras. His fall to death knight wasn't caused by him killing his friend for Frostmourne. It was started by him burning down an entire town to stop the magical plague turning villagers into the undead.

D&D isn't medieval. If it were everybody would die of horror with the black plague, rape, child prostitutes, slave-whipping and people dying of starvation everywhere and only fat weirdos would play it.

D&D is basically 20th century America with swords instead of guns and magic instead of cars and some dudes instead of Jesus.

None of those make a paladin fall. At worst, they make him temporarily lose his paladin powers, for which he would have to atone, and the one where his god becomes chaotic evil or somthing don't even involve that- paladins serve the ideal of Lawful Good itself, NOT gods. A paladin only truly falls when he knowingly and deliberately forsakes his ideals and his paladin's code.

Depends on the setting. In many settings paladins of different gods think different things are good.

Well fuck me for providing the default answer when no specific settings were mentioned. Man, I can't believe what an asshole I am for that.

I thought it was because FROSTMOURNE HUNGERS and took over his mind and he was just kind of a dick before. Your version is better tho.

Anything that causes the paladin to lose faith.
So long as the paladin believes he is worthy of his powers, they shall not falter.

So he can kill innocent people and rape virgins and still be a paladin if he thinks it's right? That has some hilarious possibilities.

This is a myth. Most women in medieval through early modern Europe got married between the ages of 19 and 23.

Paladin falling, in my games at least, is difficult to do accidentally. It requires deliberate action against the code. Merely accidentally switching your alignment wouldn't make you fall automatically, not would killing an innocent man that you believed to be evil. Some actions may require repentance in order to not fall, such as in the the case of the aforementioned accidents.

A Paladin falls because his heart turns away from the code, not purely because of his actions.

[citation needed]

> Deliberately killing an innocent man to save another innocent man in a diabolical scheme
Depends on the situation, but probably unless it was a very chaotic snap decision.
> Deliberately killing an innocent man to save what he thought was another innocent man but was actually a lich
Same as before.
> Accidentally putting on the helm of opposite alignment
Technically yes.
> Accidentally giving the helm of opposite alignment to his paladin friend, causing him to fall, then subsequently killing him because he was acting evil
Yes.
> Accidentally leaving a shop with goods in his pocket
No.
> Looting what he thought was a dungeon but was actually somebody's home
No unless he doesn't put it back.
> Looting what he thought was a dungeon but was actually a temple to his god
No unless he doesn't put it back.
No.
> It also turns out it was his sister
No.
> Killing an innocent man while under a spell
No unless it wasn't a mind control spell.
> Killing an innocent man because he drank a potion causing berserk rage that was served to him as beer
No.
> Having his god die somehow
Depends on the setting.
> His god has become chaotic evil somehow
No, but he might lose his powers.
> His order has become chaotic evil somehow
No unless he stays with thew new tenets.
> His order is telling him to kill innocent people so he rebels but it turns out those innocent people were actually evil sorcerers
No, and that's a retarded example
> Choosing himself to live instead of an NPC in a diabolical scheme where he gets to choose who lives
I guess this one, but if it's a situation where the NPC won't be able to stop the BBEG doing this, and he can, then he's about to fall in an awesome way.