Clearly GW has fallen from making the best models. Their blobby...

Clearly GW has fallen from making the best models. Their blobby, overly busy design looks like crap compared to modern sculpts.

So who, in your opinion has replaced them?

Infinity has had better models for years. This isn't something new.

Much as I love the shit out of Infinity, earlier models had a bad case of the anime pose.

I think the Antares models are pretty good.

I sure do love duplicated body sculpts when they ask sixty bucks for four models

>fallen from making the best models
When did they desu? There seems to have always been some smaller mob with better consistency and a higher base standard for as long as I played.

Best models is relative.
As these are infinity, I assume they are single pose models with zero customisation. That alone means, the designers have more freedom, as can be seen with older GW models as well.

I however like to kitbash and convert my stuff, so GW models where it is common/encouraged to share arms, legs weapons between kits of the same or similar factions etc. offer a huge advantage.

OP wasn't around for confrontation and thinks infinity is special.

>I however like to kitbash and convert my stuff, so GW models where it is common/encouraged to share arms, legs weapons between kits of the same or similar factions etc. offer a huge advantage.
This for me as well.

If you're going to rag on GW at least post some sculpts that dont look like they were intentionally designed to be as generic as possible.

IMO the plastic included in stuff like Deathwatch Overkill is looking quite good, nicely detailed and much more appealing than generic sci-fi soldier in exosuit #11111111111

>#11111111111
>four tattoo'd on his forehead
>44 on his armour
that's generic soldier #4444444444 you knucklehead
buy some new fucking eyes

Where do you live, Uzbekistan?

Actually I think DO sums up exactly what OP was criticizing.

Space Marines look like shit, and tacking on more shit doesn't polish that turd.

>four all over his bod and gear
That dude's an ancient chinese edgemaster.

>>they were intentionally designed to be as generic as possible

They were. That's the point of Wu Ming.

>Metal minis
This remains to be the number 1 reason I won't get into infinity.

>those models
>generic

I think most of you people have forgotten what generic sci-fi armour looks like these days. Because it sure as hell doesn't look like that. Space Marines are more generic than that.

God, Yu Jing are such shitheads, I love it.

Super early in the 80s and maybe early 90s, when most other companies were making blobs of vaguely anthropomorphic lead and GW's figures were recogniseable as humans. They still had loads of character back then, too.

gotta love the silhouette on that lump of cruft.

I love metal.

I love the weight, the way it paints up, the ease of stripping, that it doesn't melt in the car on a hot day.

The only benefit to plastic is cost (which GW somehow fucked up) and that it's harder for little kids to break.

GHQ?

da faq r those?

That's not correct mandarin for 4.
What a fucking scrub.

The benefit of plastic is customizability, cuttability, poseablity, and generally spare bits to use on conversions and other projects. Cost is not as much of a factor to me as that is. Also I hate how metal bonds to metal with glue, making pinning a necessary hassle.

Plastic glue is best glue.

4: 四 (肆) sì

6mm tanks.

>Soldier: 44

Oh these look lovely! How do you paint these?

>correct mandarin
>written

here's your fuck (you)

lol

Something like that is usually done with an airbrush for most of it, I think additional detailing with washes mostly?

>none of them look anything like the OP picture

...Okay? Do you have a point?

Do you?

This thread is going to be GW shills trying to defend the little bit of crumbling dignity they have left, failing at it miserably and calling others names.

cant tell if shill or bad taste

Infinity minis look cool but I wish they wern't posed so twisted so you could mod them in different poses.

>blind denial
lel
I mean, it's a valid strategy when cornered, fair enough, what else are you really suppose to do to get out from under it.

The only real similarity between them is that they're all examples of armor.

The way the suit rises prominently around the shoulders, the way it is criss-crossed with exposed servos and stuttered cords, the shapes of the helmets, the way the helmets are segmented into breathing apparatus and faceplate, the way the almost insectoid midsection is set out, etc etc etc... these aren't things you see in any of those images.

If you think they all look the same because they're all slimmer than Terminators or something, that's your problem.

>anime models having anime pose
>this is problematic somehow.

Jesus Christ, what the hell is GW doing? That motherfucker is a walking Renaissance fair.

Corvus Belli is better than even Forgeworld with regards to infantry models.

There are boutique minis that are superior, and newcomers popping up that give GW a run for its money.

The only thing GW has left is it's IP. And with their reputation, cost of entry, and worst rules in tabletop - that IP isnt going to be enough. The market is too crowded now.

that is kinda norm for those guys.

It's not like it's a tau model with inscribings and scrolls and badges.

You are lost in the nitpicky details for some reason. but the overall gist is very "generic scifi armor"

>The only thing GW has left is it's IP
Which they are actively ruining.

Are you a human being? Because you act like a scanner that reject any discrepancies as false identities.

How are you getting past captcha?

This is less and less true with each new release. Newer minis are often made with a specific pose in mind.
Well, they're still pretty good for kitbashing because plastic and extra bits, but I don't think we can say GW minis have customisable pose anymore. They're not made with that feature in mind, anyway.

Cool armours
I love this one:

The details are what make something distinct.

And no, it doesn't look like Spartan armor either, which is far more boxy and less modular, with far less exposed machinery and such. The only similarity is that their shoulders rise prominently.

Another Infinity shill thread?

>a bunch of random amour designs with almost nothing in common

It's the circle of Veeky Forums.

Where are all the hexagons?

You can't have Mass Effect without hexagons.

>shills
Its not enough to disagree about which models look better, we have to accuse the very motivations the people who disagree with us as being somehow not genuine.

Blind, or disingenuous?
I don't know what to say, it's transparently obvious, you have to be trolling me at this point.

I'd tend to disagree. There are still lots of people who buy shit from GW. I don't know the numbers for AoS, but I don't think it failed as hard as Veeky Forums and others wished it to, if it even failed at all.
Which makes me fucking angry because I seriously think GW doesn't deserve that visibility anymore when there are all those small companies with better games and minis out there.

Can you point out the ways they're extremely similar?

Those images generally don't have much in common with the stuff in the OP. Saying they all look "futuristic" isn't really enough. The ones from Destiny and Doom, in particular, share virtually no similarities with them.

What separates any of these from Carapace Armor, apart from looking a lot better? Are you implying that GW is somehow less derivative because they have a tier of comically big armor above the standard functional sci-fi armor?

I would say rather than "don't have much in common", the two designs are almost identical.
>underlying bodysuit thing
>plate chuncks which form musculature

To go so far as "virtually no similarities" is lying.

I feel silly even having to point these out to you.

Looking at the thumbnail I briefly thought these might be Gue'vesa models.

just look at the picture and stop being an idiot. or an autist, or a robot, I dunno.

just fucking stop it.

Nobody plays 40k anymore.

Space Marine armor is so exaggerated that the human form is actually lost, while "generic scifi armor" actually artificially enhances the impression of musculature via the armor plating.

It's brand recognition. Even people who steer away from tabletop have some idea what Space Marines and 40k are. It might grow my neckbeard, but it genuinely makes me shudder when some random youtuber/person/thing says stuff like "Blood for the Blood God, lol", thinkingit is in some ironic way not tacky.

>definetly not moving goalposts here, guys!

I salute your efforts to cherrypick such an armor, though. Still I'd like to know, what a truly original piece of armor would look.

Yes, but GW also has Carapace Armor in addition to Power Armor, which is exactly the same shit that's being posted in this thread except with ugly blocky sculpts.

Probably the only one with any notable similarities. And only in one area - the upper body.

As for the others? 'Metal plates on top of something else' is not really enough to point out similarities.

I bet you see a circle in this pic.

>conf'
Don't remind me ;_;

Black Moon Chronicles also had pretty neat designs, even if the quality of the sculpt itself was barely superior to GW's products.

That really is the only one with anything markedly in common with the picture on the right.

And even then, they're hardly close to identical. They share inward sloping carapaces on their fronts. The 'bodysuit' beneath is totally different (I'm not even sure the Infinity one can be classed as a bodysuit, it looks more like something else. Definitely doesn't cling in the way the Spartan's does), the helmets are totally different, the ways the legs and arms are set out is different...

In general, the Infinity one looks far rougher and more industrial, whereas the Spartan suit gives the impression of very compact, advanced technology.

>>underlying bodysuit thing
>>plate chuncks which form musculature

You literally just described all armor worn by a human being.

Well, maybe not Gdub blob armor.

So....point taken?

>it's a "Defend GW and attack competently designed and affordably priced games" episode

You don't understand.

If armor has plating above something else it's generic shit.

>So unique and visually inspiring

>it's a "Attack GW and call anyone who disagrees a shill" episode

Man, IG are cool. I like Infinity but IG are cool.

Astra Militarum can suck a huge festering cock though. GW's endeavor to make everything sound as a shitty as possible is probably one of their least inspired ideas yet.

Why would you defend GW though? They've put out some great stuff, but the company itself sucks dicks.

Does this look the same to you?

You are just describing armor lol.

People have a huge amount of time, effort and money invested. Admitting GW is terrible is a massive psychological blow to them, while pretending it is good lets them continue to believe their investment was worth it.

It's called sunk cost fallacy.

Yu Jing stuff definitely has its own style.

If you want to draw comparisons between Infinity armour and standard sci-fi stuff, you'd be better served by drawing from PanO or ALEPH. Though those owe far more to the likes of GitS and Appleseed than generic western sci-fi shooter #24252566.

Space Marines have a fantastic base design. Its just GW loves covering things in too much detail.

I like them for nostalgia, but looking at the models they are pretty crap.

I'm pretty sure I could do better with some putty and wire, and I am no professional.

Dudes in blobby armor is a design?

They look like the Michelin Man.

What? Mass effect is all about long lines and smooth curves, you tool.

Neither of them look terribly dynamic Satan.

GW's models have always been inferior to their competitiors. Huge guys with massive shoulders hacking each other to death in order to market to hormonal teenagers have always been bad. Meanwhile companies like Rackham and now CB, Wyrd, ect. have consistently better looking figures.

>underlying bodysuit thing
>plate chuncks which form musculature

Those three are all identical.

Wow, it's almost like both were designed with half a thought towards human biomechanics.

You are thinking of that other game.

>those dubs

>Those groin to shoulder curves that don't match up to any of the lines on the actual armor

Seconded, but also irregular triangles for DE:HR

One tells the story of a Crusader Brethren landing from a HALO drop, calmly firing his weapon.

The other looks like a dude who just shit his pants and is about to faceplant.

I- I kinda like that model

I will never understand people who think 'generic' is somehow an insult. Execution is orders of magnitude more important than not looking like anything else.

People don't keep things simple either, the armour in Halo looked a lot better before it was drowned in details.