/5eg/ - "That Which is Old is New Again" Edition

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>June 2016 Survey
dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/june-2016-dd-survey

Have any of you fine people ran an older module using 5E? If so, how did it go?

DEATH TO THE FALSE MONSTERGIRL GENERAL

What weapon do I use to flavor into a scythe?

Thinking of playing through the X modules/Mystara (known world) i just wish there was a full clear map of mystara that had ilse of dread on it so I knew I had the right one.

Glaive or use a real weapon and stop being edgy.

Playing a Sea-faring campaign.

I want to play a Beastmaster ranger using a heavy crossbow (Harpoon gun) and his trusty Crab bubbles in combat, working his skills as a robust sailor and navigator out of combat.

However, I look at the sheer wimpish crap that is Beastmaster Ranger, the lack of options, the low power ceiling, the mediocre utility, the fact that my entire class-archtype can be near permanently removed as a side effect to one-too many AOE spells from either side...

Why shouldn't I just play a Druid and turn into a huge shark while shitting out full caster spells?

Honestly? Be a Druid.

Maybe don't be a bitch. That would help.

I'm doing T1 right now.

Are you just needing the Isle of Dread map or the full world map? Or just one centered on Eastern Brun and the Sea of Dread? Either way, hit up the website Pandius dot com.

Hi guys, I just joined a DnD 5e game run by one of my friends , am d he invited a girl that we both go to college with. I looked her up on Facebook and she does not have a boyfriend (I went through her photos t be sure) so I am curious what advice you have for attracting her using in-character advances? Her character is an elf warlock (female) And my character is a human fighter (male). Any advice? Thanks in advance.

Getting ready to run Curse of Strahd and was looking to add the Witch Hunter and Death Knight to the allowed classes. Assuming one Witch Hunter, Death Knight, Rogue, and Cleric of Life (all playing human and the Rogue is a halfling) how boned is Strahd?

Just talk to her in real life, see of she wants coffee or go see a movie. Doing all this "in character" makes you seem like a passive aggressive beta. I don't want to sound like a dick, user, I don't but just interact with her like the human she is.

Death knight is ridiculously op

How so?

also look up mystara thorfmaps com
the guy who owns that site has done an almost herculean amount of work redrawing and even correcting many of the original mystaran maps [all in his own time may i add] - in one case he even tried [ and sucseeded] in lining up the main mystaran/ hollow world maps.

but for now will this do you?

But how do I ask her this without seeming creepy? Pls help, I've never been in love with a grill before

Please dont.

Okay, how do you act around your other friends? Just act like that around her (though hold off on the dick jokes and rekt shit, things that probably shouldn't be mentioned in public basically). Just talk about things like favorite television series, books, RPGs but avoid politics and religion. After about a half hour or so, if she isn"t squirming to get away or becoming more tense (arms crossed, hands in lamp, slumping as if tired, etc.) ask if they'd be cool to go get coffee or something later. Ask for their number or email, wait a few days and call them up during a reasonable hour (between 5pm and 7pm tends to be best) and set a date for the weekend during the day or early evening. Being in daylight calms people downbsince it implies openness and less "I want to just fuck you" tendencies. Pay for the date but don't be too showy (no fancy food but avoid sloppy/messy food) and simply make it seem like you want to treat them. If it's hot out, try ice-cream. Do not, I repeat do not act like a slob or demean people or complain once during this time with her.

But now we've gone off topic long enough...

Off topic, but whats the beat level to start at for a group of never played and kinda played players? Would 3 be the best? I kinda dont like how the game plays at level 1

You can start at 3rd easily enough. If you are using monsters better suited for 1-2 level players, just increase their HD by one or two.

What are good traps/puzzles/encounters for an ancient gnomish tomb. Ive got the standard liar/truthteller riddle, with the wrong way leading to a fake mcguffin. Any good ways to subtly say that the fake mcguffin is fake?

A statue of Garl Glittergold that collapses the entire tomb on you if you're carrying more than 100 gp on your person.

Our dm ran tome of horrors.

It was a beautiful amalgamation for 7 sessions until we all died horribly

That happens. Hell it was designed to doso!

I know. We died gloriously fighting Dolores Umbridge

After my Curse of Strahd game I'm going to nab a number of older modules starting with Keep on the Borderland and run a campaign using those. It's going to be glorious.

The set-up can work pretty well as long as you are mounted which is about the only way Beastmaster flies

Damn thats the maps I used when I was 12 and paying for the first time. Im gonna explore the hell out of this

I'm running the Desert of Desolation series, I3-I5. I've had to convert a lot of creatures and adjust the CRs of many more. Trap damage is surprisingly low, so I use the guidelines in the DMG instead. It's also extremely heavy on magic items—there's a +3 ring of protection just lying around in I3—but I think that's part of the fun of these older modules. High risk, high reward.

I think I read somewhere that if you encounter magic items that are too high in older modules, just substitute for an equivalent one.

Yeah, but it's kind of awesome to go traipsing through a pyramid, lose half your party, and come out with 2 artifacts, a +3 ring of protection, a +2 hammer, and like 30,000pp. That's kind of the general feel of the module, so I said fuck it and just kept the monty haul as well as the multiple ways for the party to fuck up and kill themselves hilariously.

Gnomes like illusions and gnomes like jokes, so maybe illusionary ghosts and traps that lead or herd the party into more legitimate threats. Real undead guardians dressed up in costumes to look like ridiculous illusions (pink elephant zombie, or something). Gnomes aren't usually into killing folks, but teleporting intruders back outside or elsewhere in the dungeon (possibly naked) would make a dead gnome laugh.
As far as the fake mcguffin, perhaps have it be easy to grab: no traps, no tricks, no illusions. That should raise suspicion if there's even been a moderate amount of trap related bullshit in the adventure, at least in my experience. Maybe not subtle enough?

DEATH TO THE FALSE GENERAL

>tome of horrors
That's one scary book

I stepped away from D&D for a while, and even got rid of my sourcebooks. So it's annoying that I should suddenly have a renewed interest out of nowhere and have character concepts materialize that I could most likely never play, if not just for the fact that I don't think any DM would let me.

I want to make a Darakhul (The Ghoul race from Midgard Heroes that Kobold Press put out) Mystic (from the second version Unearthed Arcana put out) Outlander who basically acts like a crazy, homeless, philosopher.

I just think it'd be fun to play.

I ran that Ravenloft one with the dopplegangers. It went p. well.

why are there 3 generals up for 5e rn, and none of them are on autosage

Because 5e is pretty good.

Best way to make Dio Brando using the Mystic?