Does this sort of appropriation have historical precedent?

Does this sort of appropriation have historical precedent?

This thread again?

Yes.

And what would that be?

Is this one of those threads when we complain about normies?

Why the fuck is it a d12
That bothers me more than anything else

To be niche while being niche, he's effectively double hipster.

Yes, many people throughout history die for a cause they believe in.

>I d12 D&D

I don't get it.

>Does this sort of appropriation have historical precedent?

It's because the pentagon looks a bit like a heart. Jesus, people, work with me here.

I guess it is. Only a matter of time before we start bitching about Wheaton, Day, and Zimbabwe. With a couple jabs at SJWs.

That said, even if I saw some professional grognard who's played D&D for over decade wearing this shirt I'd still think he's a fag. But that's because it's just a dopey shirt no matter who wears it.

>it's just a dopey shirt no matter who wears it

What if the shirt was tattered and worn by a mutant living in a small cave on the edges of a post-apocalyptic wasteland?

If it was I'd [d4] D&D, it'd almost work. Even if no one calls them "Die 4", etc.

I don't know why that came to your mind so quickly but I guess that works.

>normie Gollum

I don't get it.

I d12 D&D?

He's a barbarian.

That is literally the most faggoty barbarian I've ever seen.

A Conan-esque type fucking a dude in the ass while getting fucked in the ass would be less faggoty.

BLOOD AND THUNDER

>Poofy-haired manlet
>barbarian

SHOW ME YOUR HONOR.

>t-shirts with words on them
Disgusting.
If you don't have an interesting design you want to feature on your shirt, you might as well have your torso naked instead.
Not these cookie-cutter "smart and cool" shirts with cringy jokes and statements.

>t. wolf shirt

I'm personally seeing more shape similarity in d8. But even that is vague.

>That said, even if I saw some professional grognard who's played D&D for over decade wearing this shirt I'd still think he's a fag.

Gangsta rap. Suburban fags who never were in the pen acting like tough OGs.

you need to get on whole another level or irony there

Nah, not really. I usually wear solid-color t-shirts, or t-shirts with geometric designs on them.

What, you think images also get a free-pass on "cookie-cutter designs"? Fuck you, Che Gevara tees aren't cool.

It's shit.
SHIIIIIIIIIIT.

The thing is the "I [heart] X" is a pretty well-established design and most people will get the joke even if the verb icon isn't even remotely heart shaped.

I went to college at a school [in]famous for student bike traffic. You could buy t shirts which said "I [bicycle icon] Davis" a the student store.

>Che Gevara tees aren't cool.
C'mon, present day more than any other era needs a reminder that not all terrorist are Muslim.

>equating revolutioners with terrorists
Granted, they're pretty much the same on the "evil" scale, but those are still two different things.

I don't think he's claiming a blanket equivalency. I think he's just specifically calling Che Guevara a terrorist.

Great idea; Ted Kaczynski, Timothy Mcveigh, and Shoko Asahara are all partying together.

Asahara is tapping the keg, Kaczynski is holding up the beer bong, and Mcveigh is chuggin.

>Kaczynski
>Mcveigh
>Asahara

Never work. All those sociopaths were relevant in an age before Grievance Studies grads tried wringing profit from any extreme, so nobody would recognise a single one of them today. Go with Trayvon, Saint Mike and Freddie Gray playing sizzurpong and your I

Nobody likes whining about appropriation even when it's relevant, you think we give a shit how your entitled neckbeard ass feels?

You're not wrong. I don't "cringe", but I cringe whenever I see people spelling words with double c's.

You know who I'm talking about, thiccposters.

Only thing Kaczynski did wrong was not casing the place to find out where they were keeping the daycare.

Cowardly fucking thing to do, anyway, keeping your kids within bomb's reach so you can use them as a shield.

>so nobody would recognise a single one of them today
That was literally what I was going for.

They're all terrorists, they all did fucking work, and aren't pop culture icons at this point.

It's a mockery on several levels.

>Kaczynski
*McVeigh

Whatever. They're all pretty much the same person, anyway.

The few Graphic Tees I own are all Video Game References but disguised as other things. Like a shirt that says I'm part of the Black Mesa Research Facility staff.

But you probably can bicycle [around] Davis.

Or it could be I [bike to] Davis, seeing a large amount of the students probably commute by bike. Doesn't need to be I [heart] anything.

>wearing t-shirts

There's appropriation here?

VICTORY AT SEA

About fucking time.

If you're commuting to UC Davis you're doing it by car. It's in the middle of fucking nowhere.

The cyclists are mostly on campus.

Just like people on Veeky Forums complaining about normies without realising that normies attention provides them a fuckton of money.

The fact that there are a lot of people like the one in the pic is only a good thing. Nobody forces you to talk to him, but their existence expand the market and allows nique games to be sustainable. It's literally a win win for everyone

>Grievance Studies
?
Google just gives me a bunch of right-wing sites shitting on liberal arts majors.

It's a term used by right-wing sites to shit on liberal arts majors, covering things like Women's Studies, African-American Studies, and anything else that's specifically about looking at non-whites or non-men.

Because God forbid an academic specialize into a certain area.

>mutant approaches the mouth of the cave
>sees the sun, hisses and retreats
>from within you can hear the "clickety clack" of him angrily shitposting Veeky Forums

>muh centuries of systematic oppression
Meanwhile, as a white man I'm being legitimately oppressed because I face societal repercussions for saying nigger in public.

Or, you know, it's because most of those things are simply studying groups of people who have grievances with whites and/or men.

And I don't mean to sound sexist, but seriously what actual purpose does a Women's Studies course have? What skill do you learn in that course to bring to the real world? How to not treat women like objects is something most people learn from common sense and observation.

I suppose an argument could be made that African-American Studies and things of that sort are about learning the culture, but wouldn't that be better served by a history course?

>And I don't mean to sound sexist, but seriously what actual purpose does a Women's Studies course have? What skill do you learn in that course to bring to the real world?
You should try researching what they actually teach instead of relying on the Internet cribnotes version

>academic courses in sociology, history, literature, and psychology that focus on the roles, experiences, and achievements of women in society.

What does the above bring to society. The point isn't (or at least shouldn't be) who made the invention/discovery/achievement but rather that it was made and how it was made. Sometimes this does involve studying the thing's creator, as is the case with most works of art, but most of the time the who is profoundly less important than the what.

Taking all the achievements that were made by a group of people and studying those achievements because of the group is superfluous and at times simply mastabatory. Regardless of the group involved.

If the creation is profound/impressive enough history will remember the creator regardless of race, gender, or creed.
>Emily Dickinson
>George Washington Carver
>Hayao Miyazaki
>Chinua Achebe
>Margaret Hamilton

>legitimately oppressed because I face societal repercussions for saying nigger in public
Being called a cunt when you're being a cunt doesn't make you oppressed. That goes for you too, white man.

It's from fucking Redbubble. All they do is sell dumb pandering shit that people post on there. You can easily find far worse on there without trying.

Judging about Wheaton and Day is pretty damn justified though.

You missed the obvious joke so thoroughly I'm actually impressed.

Bitching about*
How did that become judging?

I may be going senile.

I think he's being facetious, friend.

Dude, you ought to reread what this guy said and actually give it a try before you reply again:

>You should try researching what they actually teach instead of relying on the Internet cribnotes version

I don't dislike Wheaton on principle, but his stuff feels very artificial. I am constantly reminded he is an actor trying to show what fun looks like, because people actually having fun playing a game don't look or act like that. But that's ok. Normies might not know that these games are fun at all, and that who he is trying to appeal to.

In my experience "fake gamers" don't exist, at least not in the form we think of it. Most of Veeky Forums doesn't actually play the games they complain about. Are we "fake gamers?"

What bothers me more is that they are drawing a line between "acceptable nerd" (D&D5E, PFS, MtG, board games) and "shameful neckbeard" (wargaming, etc) when really the latter category should be exclusively for FATAL players.

Inclusivity is a topic nobody can agree on. My opinion is an effort should be made to make sure new players have a good experience so that they are more likely to become regular players.

>fake gamers

Yeah, I'm with you on that. It always sounded like hipster/punk rock snob "poseur" bullshit to me. Pretending that you're somehow more "authentic" or something than people who got into $THING_I_LIKE at a later date than you did is just wanking.

You guys are both right.

When one of my non-gamer friends expresses interest in this shit, my instinct is to invite them along the next time I run a game.

The issue isn't really that there are people who got into the hobby later, it's that these same people are now being looked to as the icons of the hobby.

Especially when they then use this position to talk shit from up high.
Like Wheaton or Felicia Day.

Any new person to the hobby is a boon though.

I think these guys becoming the "face" of the hobby is only because they're filling a vacuum. There never really was a face for ttrpgs until now except maybe Gygax.

And he's been dead for nearly a decade

Then it'd be using a d10.

but it's not even oriented like that on the shirt

Aren't Felicia Day and those people more associated with general nerd culture than tabletop games?

We get it, you got really pissed off when you realized that people didn't shun you because of your hobbies, but because of your personality.
Now that people with more than 1 interest are getting into the one thing you use to define yourself you were hoping that you'd be hot shit, but you're still just shit.

Under.

Rated.

Post.

The thing is, tabletop games have no pop culture presence beyond 'the D&D episode'. It's a small community, with a lot of subdivisions based on genre, mechanics, and geography. The ancillary things that might expose people to the hobby, like shirts and podcasts, tend to be very limited in scope (I know plenty of actual plays that only get a couple hundred listeners, because they are people who like the game being played).

So it's very easy for people like Day, Wheaton, and anyone else to come along and scoop up the 'representative of tg' card by having a production company throw a few thousand dollars into a set and cranking out videos on Youtube. When the rest of the hobby is below the waves, they are the only thing visible.

yeah but I legitimately don't see an issue with that. It's a social hobby. The more people that join the better.

The issue is that our representatives are not very representative of us.

but why do care? Like what makes it so important that the hobby is represented by neckbeards?

Make makes it so important that anything is represented by something that is actually representative of it?

The problem is that you think that the hobby needs to be represented by people who have like, D&D or whatever your game of choice is as their entire life system.

Pro tip: Socially awkward troglodytes don't make good representatives for anything.

Threads like this are just people bitching about filthy casuals like having nothing going on in your life except gaming is somehow something to be proud of.

Wheaton, at least, has been a tabletop nerd since he was a little kid.

Yeah but he doesn't count because he's successful and has a social life!

Threads like this remind me of black people who argue that you can't represent other black people unless your life is a trainwreck.

>Omg he finished school he's not REALLY black!

>wwaaaaaaaaaaaah you're all ugly obese neckbeards with no social lives living in your parents basements crying about how you're being represented by successful people that you are jealous of!
All I want is to be represented by a nerd's nerd, I don't give a shit how successful he is.

I never thought about it like that, but yeah, you've got a point.

>inb4 "I [bone] my German Shepherd"

Not the user you replied to, but there's a difference between having a neckbeard with his /d/ waifu emblazoned on his dice bag and Wil Wheaton, the smarmiest motherfucker on the planet.

For example, the Penny Arcade guys. Go watch the PAX games (or better yet listen to the podcasts they did before then) and see the difference between Gabe and Tycho, and Wheaton. The PA guys (and Chris Perkins) have a good deal of showmanship, but they're more low-key with it. They know that people are there to watch them play a game.

With Wheaton, he seems to think that people are there to watch HIM play a game. The guy pulls focus like a kid who is daring other kids to dare him to eat a bug, just so people will look at him for 30 seconds more.

wheaton is a massive nerd bro.

Well what's a nerd's nerd then? And would he really be a good representative of anything?

Like, the whole debate suffers from a lack of perspective.

The reason so many nerds think real nerds are people who ONLY do Veeky Forums or vidyashit all day all life is because those people only hang out with each other and grow up believing that's what all nerds are like.

I played Kult with other guys from the Hockey Team.

But if that didn't work, he wouldn't be mentioned in this thread. Wheaton didn't get elected and we're sitting around being pissed because he cheated, he's only thought of as a representative for us because so many of you watch his shit, and honestly, ANYTHING popular will have a bunch of cranky contrarians saying how there are better options.

But you know what? The best option is to just spend more time playing and not bother with who our pop culture party face is. I fucking hate all the
>what do you think of this youtuber Veeky Forums?
threads.

>Well what's a nerd's nerd then? And would he really be a good representative of anything?
He's a renaissance man, for one. Fairly knowledgeable about history, science and culture. Can and does play multiple genres of games, has played and perhaps even mastered a lot of different systems.

how about an actor and comedian who is well read in science?

>He's a renaissance man, for one. Fairly knowledgeable about history, science and culture.

Yeah, that's totally representative of the legions of D&D, MTG and Warhammer fags that make up this board. We are all just oozing cultural knowledge.

Also, how does Wheaton not qualify for that? He plays all kinds of shit. Does he need to twirl a moustache and smoke a pipe and talk about the 100 year war in front of a fireplace?

>comedian
I'd be hard pressed to call him that. And where's his culture and history background?

This guy is right. Wheaton and his fans have no affect on how I enjoy the games. It's just something I do on the weekend with my buddies.

I don't give a shit who "represents" me and neither should any of you fags. This is not a political party. It's not a social movement or a fucking gender identity. It'd jus some fun games and getting booty bothered because our "public face" doesn't have enough nerd cred is pointless

STAR TREK

he was part of culture and history.

huh? I didn't say anything negative about wheaton in my post

do you struggle reading people's emotions?

thank you

So you were hoping for, what? Some kind of Oxford academic who played Warhammer and Chainmail since the 80s? I'm sure there's one out there but how would he gain any traction? Like, we're not voting for the most qualified here, youtube shittery is just a popularity contest.

The problem isn't who "won" the problem is that so many of you care about them.

>he's only thought of as a representative for us because so many of you watch his shit

Honestly, going off of Veeky Forums and the other sites where I hear his work brought up, it's not 'us' who are watching him. It's the casual crowd, for a lack of a better term- the people who go to /got/ and act superior that the show passed the books, who buy the Cthulhu kitschy crap and plaster it on their cubicles, and who maybe played a game of Dungeon World because 'lol I'm so nerdy'.

I can't think of a way to describe them non-insultingly, but basically Wheaton doesn't appeal to 'traditional' traditional gamers- he appeals the the far larger and more lucrative market of 'people dipping a toe into traditionally nerdy subcultures'.

That's why representation is an issue- because he is not targeting Veeky Forums, he's targeting tumblr, and all that they will learn of Veeky Forums goes through him, because he's the only face they associate with Veeky Forums.

You mean Star Trek where he earned the contempt of the general Trekkie populace?

>implying anyone liked Crusher

>Some kind of Oxford academic who played Warhammer and Chainmail since the 80s?
Yes, that pretty much sums it up.

I actually feel bad for him about that. He was basically hired to be Roddenberry's insufferable Gary Stu, and whenever the writers tried to fix things, Roddenberry would be like "NO! Wesley has to be the best at everything, now let's finish that scene where he lectures all the adults on how they're so wrong all the time and how his proposed TV show is a great idea, you stupid execs!"

And why should we give a shit what tumblr thinks of us?