Welcome to the Veeky Forums OC thread

Welcome to the Veeky Forums OC thread.
Previous Thread:
Tell us about your original characters, new and old. Let's hear some stories of valor and glory and build some legends in here.

>THIS THREAD IS PRIMARILY FOR CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT AND SHOWING OFF YOUR FAVORITES FROM YOUR GAMES
It's like the Storythread, but centered on characters that we all know and help make. Your Original Character can be any character you've played, are playing, or want to play!

>WHEN POSTING YOUR OC
Give us a little blurb about your character, this is a brag thread after all. Some basic questions to get you started:
• Name:
• Role(s):
• Goals:
• Traits:
• Flaws:
• Allies:
• Enemies:
• Other Relations:
• Physical Description:

>WHAT'S YOUR OCs MARY SUE SCORE?
springhole.net/writing/marysue.htm

Write and share stories about each others' characters (use a pastebin for works that would take up multiple posts). Draw and share pictures of each others' characters (please link offsite in the event of NSFW work).

Ask questions about other anons characters and get to know their stories, and tell us all about your own.

Need help developing a new character concept? Ask away! Answering the periodically posted Development Questions can often help, so look for those.

This thread is intended to be all in good spirit, so please remember to be excellent to each other, and try to contribute in some way. If you can't draw, write something for someone and vice versa.

>IF YOU JUST NEED CHARACTER ART, GO TO THE DRAW THREAD
There are more artists consistently there that are actively looking for requests to fill, that's not the case here.

>DON'T MAKE A NEW THREAD UNTIL PAGE 10
Use new art from these threads as OP image when possible.

GoogleDoc of the characters so far (still in progress, so don't be alarmed if you don't see yours) drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B_dUy0Yo4cigbTB1Q1g5bTRvcTQ&usp=sharing

Development Question: Does your character enjoy literature? What kind if so?

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/RMgTwxu1
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Posting in new thread.
>Name
Luvos Nichto
>Role
Planar Explorer, Diabolic Conjurer, Guest Villain
>Goals
To remain on the forefront of knowledge, exploration, and change. Luvos is in the process of writing a series of encyclopedias of planar knowledge. He is experimenting with means of achieving immortality and slowly perfecting his revenge against his wizard peers.
>Traits
Luvos has little respect for conventions. He enjoys the fleeting nature of comprehension and more enjoys the hunt for knowledge itself. He has demonstrated a frightening degree of patience and a somewhat obsessive personality. He is easily flustered. Luvos is attracted to forbidden knowledge and other things an authority figure says are dangerous this is derived from a desire to overcompensate and impress others by taming such dangerous things. Growing up as a half-drow raised by humans has given him an affinity for the taboo and makes him feel like a kindred spirit to most things labelled as evil and secretive.
>Flaws
In addition to having little respect for tradition, Luvos' time spent exploring the multiverse and planescape has left him reluctant to put any faith in the moral boundaries of any one plane. He has picked up the habit of introducing himself in fancier and fancier nonsensical titles. He believes he is the smartest person in any room but that everyone seems to know something he doesn't. Any attempts at appearing friendly are usually hindered by his creepy and overblown mannerisms, lack of social awareness, and the stench of brimstone clinging to his robes.
>Allies
A animated foot stool with the personality of a terrier and a clumsy broomstick.
>Physical Description
Luvos is a young looking man swathed in several layers of dark robes, he is hooded at most times and has dusky grey skin which shows on his face and finger tips. His drow heritage has gives him his yellow eyes and aversion to sunlight. He has sharp features and poor posture.

>No thread title

That Rashad piece came out fantastic in the end. It's a nice simple clean cut art style that makes for really nice reference pages.

>Does your character enjoy literature? What kind if so?
Thug doesn't read much if at all. He only knows a handful of written words. Vadania on the other hand would be quite well read and most likely reads tales about mysterious legends.

Luvos adores literature, he lives in a massive library after all. His favorite sort of writing is non fiction and records of natural history.

What's the most RIP AND TEAR character that's ever been posted in one of these threads?

This guy lives to rip and tear.

Posting Cata again because it's been a while.

• Name: Cata Fractele
• Role(s): Paladin, Skirmisher, Lawyer
• Goals: Uphold the law in a way that's fair and good, travel and see the world
• Traits: Noble background, intelligent, tomboyish, very self-motivated
• Flaws: brash, refuses help from others
• Allies: Most fellow paladins or servants of her god, Abadar.
• Enemies: Anyone that would abuse the law, anyone evil. Has a grudge against half-orcs.
• Physical Description: A brown-skinned half-elf wearing brassy/gold scale armor. Athletic build, just a little short. In her early forties, but looks younger because half-elf. Is missing her right arm.

Damn it, i knew i forgot something. Thanks!

• Name: Wellyn Elias Ashlt
• Role(s): Caster, Support, Investigator, Alchemist
• Goals: Currently attempting to gain knowledge and understanding of the magical forces at work around the world he resides in.
• Traits: The world is too much with him, he thinks he is a little smarter than everyone else, he is deeply suspicious of joy, he sees sincerity as a weapon that can be used against him, and he conceals his emotional needs.
• Flaws: Poor attitude, a lack of formal training in magic, and a deep mistrust of others are the main plauges of Wellyn's life.
• Allies: His familiar Bough, a Crocguana.
• Enemies: N/A
• Other Relations: None thus far.
• Physical Description: Short, unruly rusty brown hair, atop a head that fits a narrow often frowning face and grey eyes that dart around like flies. His body is neither muscular nor, weak and carries with it the frame of a swimmer. His face contains several deep scars of past troubles, and his gaunt fingers are attached to callused burned hands.

Completely forgot my picture.

>Name:
Kaiger Stancaster
>• Role(s):
Barbarian, keeps the party in line and hits things really hard, and Lord of the Orcish Clans
>• Goals:
Prove to his clan and human family he isn't worthless, find something that he can beat his sister in and become a hero in a bard story
>• Traits:
He's short tempered,gung-ho and egotistical but he tries to maintain some sense of honor. Also major mama's boy
>• Flaws:
He's gullible if there's a chance of battle/murder he's usually all for it. His short temper has lead to him brutalizing party members.
>• Allies:
The Dragon Bard; Marijuano Blaze, the Dank Elf of Prophecy; the Bonecrusher Clan; and a dwarven city state
>• Enemies:
Cult of Talona, Demorgorgon,Pelor,Pelor's angels and a handful of a human nobles
>• Other Relations:
Agatha,his twin sister who succeeds at everything she tries and Ganar his older flamboyant brother
>• Physical Description:
Kaiger stands at 5'11 with an athletic build. He has short black hair and green eyes with a manly stubble. He wears red dragon scale armor,dragon horn bracers and a black wolf pelt(all of these things he's killed or had a hand in killing). The wolf pelt looks worn and torn. His weapon of choice is a bastard sword of his own creation Moon's Terror, he smelted down a Death Knight's long sword and a deceased party member's bastard sword El Chakal. The blade's hilt is black with the pommel of a crescent moon and the in the center of the cross guard a side profile of a wolf howling with a red gem for an eye

Well Kaiger's new at reading in Common so he's probably not capable of reading King Leer or Heart of Darkness if he wanted to but he does he like stories. He loves nothing more than hearing stories that follow the typical Hero's Journey.

I'm not sure if those are pecks or breasts.

He looks like a rip-off of Knuckles the Echidna, but in human form

Pretty sure the character is literally traced over the most recent design of Knuckles.

That's the point.

You're not wrong.

Campaign update for Charlotte du Beauchamp.

After having set out on a merchant ship to travel to where she knew Julia's unit to have been deployed, somewhere along the way the vessel was set upon by slavers looking for fresh cargo.

The ship was overrun, and she was talen in with a number of others to be sold off into servitude. Some time later (her memory is fuzzy on these details) the ship wrecked on it's approach to one of the dockside warehouses, and she escaped along with others into the desert they now found themselves in. With her in this predicament was a very kind-hearted woman who called herself Marie, a mage who dealt with some of the darker sides of magic in an attempt to gather information. She and Charlotte became fast friends.

Shortly after, a man who identified himself as Ul'gin discovered them, and without food or shelter they took his offer for assistance. Ul'gin was a ranking lieutenant in the local Thieves' Guild, the "Allas", and his sister had been captured by these traffickers. So collectively the group decided to attempt to cripple the smuggling ring as best they could. Charlotte hoped for more answers as to where she was and, more importantly, Jules.

nice rathalos armor, sonic

Ul'gin fed and sheltered the party, and told them that in the early morning he would teach them to hunt as the Allas do, with desert birds known as 'nasur'. When they met to set out, Charlotte was given one named A'geer to work with. The hunt was a success, with Marie and Charlotte showing such an aptitude for working with nasur, that Ul'gin offered that they keep the birds, as his thanks for agreeing to help free his sister.

Planning began that night, they would raid the very warehouse that jad been their ultimate destination, had the ship not crashed before reaching it. They loaded up a small ship and intended to sail into the loading bay while half the party went around to disarm the alarms and subdue the guards.

The plan went off mostly without a hitch, but when they finished the fighting in the warehouse, all they could find were manifests and documents that pointed them to the next goal. The slavers had moved locations after the shipwreck, and the party was now hot on their trail.

Char likes to read stories about legendary heroes and knights.

What does your OC look for in a friend? Who does s/he consider his/her best friend? Which OC in this thread is s/he most likely to befriend?

Well, Charlotte and Marie make a good pair because they balance each other out. Marie keeps Char from being too uptight and straight arrow, and Charlotte ensures that the dead stay dead, curbing Marie'd voodoo addiction a bit. They are both fun-loving adventure seeking types that are just enjoying the ride.

>Who does s/he consider his/her best friend? Which OC in this thread is s/he most likely to befriend?
Luvos looks for someone that stays true to themselves and isn't just the puppet of some greater movement, organization, or will. He doesn't have any close friends right now though and most OCs would probably kill him for xp if they ever met him.

rune

source of entertainment

unravel the mysteries of the arcane

observant / keen minded

doesn't care to learn spells

anyone who crosses his path and gets lucky (most of the group)

anyone who trys to stop him from his quest of learning magic(op bull shit) (DM)

is willing to use magic to kill / intimidate but that takes him away from his studies

average human, mages robes have turned into rags due to lack of maintenance, patch work spell book of any peace of paper he could get his hands on at the time sowed to any random page in any random place.

>the night was young but the poor man continued to work, scribbling notes and on rare occasions there were flashes of light as the mage worked tirelessly to try to unravel the mysteries of the arcane. no amount of gold could take him away form this task. unlike other mages who only wished to memories a few spells this mage was a true scolor who didn't care for petty tricks. he was more interested in learning to bending reality for its own sake.

he prity much refused to learn spells clamming that it took him away from studying more important matters. eventually the dm decided that we were fighting a demon who was powerful enough to bend reality and i bent it back because it interfered with my studies. dm let me do it then got really pissed that i did. he thought that we were going to go fight him anyway but instead we just kinda left him there and we never did the ark the dm had been planing for 3 months

I took Sanity loss from reading this post.

Kaiger looks for loyalty and honesty in a friend. The Bard is Kaiger's best friend because while he may lie to him for his own amusement but at the end of the day he knows the Bard has his back. He's the party member that doesn't try to steal, he's the party member that helps Kaiger formulate plans, and they've travelled together for so long he views him like an annoying brother.

For OCs in this thread I don't think any of them would get along with Kaiger too well. I can see him trying to get along with Cata or Charlotte but his blunt personality and orcish nature would probably be off putting to them.

Shame you can't post her best picture here.

You can always link it.

Posting in the New Thread!
>Name
Joshua Troy, Shadow Name: Ajax
>Roles
Socialite, Witch
>Goals
Figuring out the mystery that tied all his allies together whilst still enjoying human life.
>Traits
Protective, Charismatic, Proud
>Flaws
Can get egocentric, lech, doesn't know when to shut up, occasionally manipulating.
>Allies
His best friend Quintarius, a sin-eater, his girlfriend Samantha, werewolf FBI agent Burke, and the residents of his condominium. Oh yeah, and his bar's owner, Lucifer.
>Enemies
His father, a demon named Sin.
>Other Relations
His younger sister who he raised, and his mother who's gone missing.
>Physical Description
Image related.
>Does your character enjoy literature?
He's been getting a lot more into it lately. He's really into SciFi and mystery novels.

Also he has a fantasy clone design wise apparently!

???

That isn't the best one. The best one involves sushi.

saltdelete.tumblr.com

L-lewd.

My only criticism is why doesn't that artist have more.

She does, melodire.tumblr.com has a lot of great stuff.

Let's go for it.
• Name:
Irya Sheen
• Role(s):
Witch, Planar Cartographer, Magical Shopkeep
• Goals:
Regain her prior power, as it was fractured within the many lives of other 'hers' within other planes - but, mostly? Irya wants knowledge as direly as a dragon wants a horde.
• Traits:
Wisened, snide, silver-tongued, maternal, and sharp as a tack.
• Flaws:
Paranoid, crude, drastic, obsessive, and too straight-forward.
• Allies:
A few of her Acolytes (other spellcasters she taught of 'leaping' about the planes), a few others who stride the spaces between worlds, such as an eccentric blue-haired alcoholic and a worshipper of a strange, birdlike god. Also commonly followed by a tiny, feathered dinosaur she bound to her.
• Enemies:
She's made many in her travels and fervent pursuit of knowledge, and her stigmata makes her easy to find for such.
• Other Relations:
Before she began walking, she was happily entangled into a strange relationship with a changeling by the name of Ravasaadi. Unknown to her, he's still trying to find her.
• Physical Description:
See picture.

>What does your OC look for in a friend? Who does s/he consider his/her best friend? Which OC in this thread is s/he most likely to befriend?
Irya looks for someone sharp, either easy/hard to push around, and otherwise some manner of curiosity. With her travels, she can't much call a best friend of them, but... she'd probably try to bro it up with Luvos and, failing that, likely become a rival.

• Name: Ironbeard
• Role(s): Tank, partially literally.
• Goals: Currently, Catch Bobba "Golden Boy" Fett [That's my gm's reference.]
• Traits: STRONK AS FUCK, ROBO PIRATE. Confident and vengeful
• Flaws: Vengeful again as well as impulsive
• Allies: Currently none. But since he's an ttrpg character, hopefully the party.
• Enemies: Literally entire systems, mostly bounty hunters, especially Bobba Fett.
• Other Relations: None, as basically full robot he doesn't need much.
• Physical Description: Fuckhuge square with smaller rectangles attached to it. Almost always bigger than anyone in the room [He's 3.5 m. tall, or 11'5 feet.]. His left lower arm is perpetually turned into a cannon while his right arm can switch between an arm with a grappling hook with chain for rope and a grand daiklave.

For Dungeons the Dragoning

Name: Paar'tol, the Elderplague

Role: Ward against spirits, black magic, and all forms of supernatural predators.

Goals: Use his education of the inner workings of the sides of Light and Dark as a benefit to mankind, casting out those who would victimize innocent lives.

Traits: Has a mentor-like mindset, loves a listening ear and to teach others ways to protect themselves through clever application of charms, trinkets, and rituals.

Flaws: When encountering an adversary he's unfamiliar with, Paar'tol is on edge to a fault, often becoming blocked mentally as he tries to formulate a plan of action. This can slow down his reflexes and clog his mind.

Enemies: Hidden witch covens pepper the lands Paar'tol resides in, and it's his duty to flush them out into the light.

He got his name of "Elderplague" after aiding a local mercenary band ONCE, that had been hired to clear out a coven preying on a small farmtown and Paar'tol helped see them to victory.

He didn't do anything to 'earn' the nickname, it was just something this contractor group did for fun apparently, and it stuck. I mean, they gave the other guy the name Wardbreaker, which Paar'tol is pretty jealous of.

He got married recently, so there's that.

• Name: Teagan Murkwater
• Role(s): Street Hustler, Smooth Talker, Ambusher, All-Around Cheeky Shit
• Goals: Formerly get paid and enjoy life. Now she's looking into pre-apocalyptic history
• Traits: Cocky, lucky, street smart.
• Flaws: Snarky, somewhat cowardly, dishonest
• Allies: Currently none as the party separated after their last adventure
• Enemies: A noble house in her home country, anyone she's ever fleeced who figured it out. Possibly a surly Dwarven cartagropher
• Other Relations: Mother and sister
• Physical Description: Standing around average height and possessing a runner's build, appears to be in her early 20s for a half-elf, dresses in foppish and guady attire and wears her hair in an artfully tussled mess of sandy blond locks.

•Development Question: Teagan isn't much for reading, but she'll soon spend a good deal of time pouring over historical accounts and old tomes.

I like her.

Thanks, user. She was made for a mini campaign so I'm not sure if she'll see play again. Currently the GM and I worked up where she's headed in the setting just in case I need a backup character for the main campaign.

I do hope to play her again and probably the reason I'll stop doing one shots and mini campaigns. I don't like getting attached to characters and then shelving them.

I know that feeling all too well user

Would play with.

Would play with.

Interested..? Not sure yet.

I imagine most of us do. At least I got to actually play the character.

Good to know you like my cheeky shit.

posting the backstory I came up with for my 40k inqusitor
>Name
Stella Osbourne
>Role
Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor
>Goals
Find and slay heretics in the name of the emperor
>Traits
Psyker. Plans carefully before acting, so that when the time comes to act she can do so without hesitation.
>Flaws
Psyker. Doesn't do as well without a plan.
>Allies
A few regional lords.
A chapter of ultramarine successors, though they would expect a favor for a favor
Some other inquisitors she can call upon for help
>Enemies
Heretics
People who distrust psykers (other inquisitors...)
>Other relations
contacts within the Astra Telepathica
contacts on a few different worlds she uses to gather information
the crew of her ship
her warband of henchmen
>Physical description
brown eyes, brown hair, about 5'7". Wears a robe into battle under her carapace armor, and has a long coat over that. Uses a force spear (counts as force sword). Was converted from the plastic farseer model. Was going to give he a sword, but the grey knight swords to scale are seven feet long and look ridiculous.
>Sue score
Pretty sure non-rpg 40k characters are considered fanfiction, which that calculator is not kind to. 33

>very short piece about her experience as an acolyte
pastebin.com/RMgTwxu1

>development question
She will read anything non-heretical in order to block out the echoes of the warp during space travel. Also do crosswords and commit sudoku. There are still crosswords in the 41st millennium right?

all this to give some personality to a 60 point model...

Luvos and Irya would totally nerd out together would be hype. Those robes are sick by the way.

>married
oh? do tell.

Many thanks m8.

Yeah, his character got married to my IRL wife's character in-game. It was a pretty cool ceremony, in which Paar'tol used a number of hunter tricks to ensure she was not an undead/witch/werewolf/vamp/etc.

He thought she didn't know, but she did, and said "I do" anyway.

She reminds me of a guard psyker I played a while back. Particulary of the scene where he chased his fellow soldiers around the trench yelling "FEAR NOT THE PYSKER YOU MEWLING HAMSTER MOLESTERS, SAYS SO RIGHT HERE!" at them and waving a copy of the Imperial Creed. The trench weeping blood and the fear power being both very active and mildly out of control didn't help all that much, but it's the thought that counts.

Sup thread, looking for some help?

I made a character art request here
And I'm wondering if you guys can help me flesh the character out more? I wanna base him off the musician in the pic (the whole party is doing this as a theme, nobody is allowed to know who the others are until the game starts).

If you don't recognize him he is Serj Tankian from System of a Down. He'd have heavy anti-authoritarian views but not be a violent protester, and wants to protect the earth from destruction.

I'm thinking druid + bard?

The other hard part for me is determining how to make him mesh with an adventuring group without dragging them down or being a stick in the mud. Help?

Any ideas?

>Name:
Sigmund Caine

>Role(s):
Tracker, damage dealer, party dad

>Goals:
To reunite with his daughter, rescue his beleaguered wood-wife, and cut down the ones who had done his family wrong.

>Traits:
Wise and strong, Sigmund's wide knowledge on nature and the things that live in it has kept the party fed and focused throughout much of the adventure. More importantly, Sigmund's will in regards to his family has been proven to be the real steel; of all the Will checks we had to make over the campaign, he only failed one.

>Flaws:
Woefully unprepared for anything related to high society or urban living. Much of our adventures in the capital of Durengrad were him bumbling through crowds and complaining about the sheer lack of tracks.

>Allies:
The Dusk Hunters, a motley collection of monster hunters stationed out of Durengrad

>Enemies:
The Arcane Inquisition, led by Helena and Arasandra the Black, a witch of terrible power allied to the Great Wyrm named Nagaroth the Red.

>Other Relations:
Adelina, his missing Changeling Daughter and his wood-wife Aomeda 'The Green Lady" Greenleaf, an ancient Hamadryad that had presided over the continent since time immemorial.

>Physical Description:
a burly bearded man at 5'11 with fern-green eyes and hair the color of mud, when cleaned up Sigmund has been regarded as something of a hunk, with expressive eyes and a solid jawline.

It's hard to tell how'd he mesh without hearing some of the other player archetypes.

General druid advice is to have your character look at the greater good-don't take a hard line unless it directly conflicts with your core character concept. Don't have your character go chaining himself to trees or refusing to work for civilization-maybe have him think civilization has it's place as part of sentient species' natural cycle, his job is to maintain balance between the nature of civilization and the nature of wilderness.

Your character is also an entertainer, and based off a pretty funny one at that. Even if he doesn't agree with the rest of the party, he should be in tune with what they're feeling and should use his music to lift spirits/poke fun as necessary.

That's really helpful thank you user.

I've never thought of system of a down as pretty funny what makes you say that? Other than that I agree with your advice don't be a hippie just be mellow

It's a sardonic sense of humor but it's there. "Steal this Album" during the collapse of the CD, a lot of the songs on Mezmerize, etc.

I also got a sense that they've always had fun doing what they do. Even when making a political point or angsting, they didn't seem to take themselves too seriously and kept things pretty uptempo, something I've grown to appreciate.

No I can see what you mean by that. Shame they don't put out new music.

>Name:
Thug (The Orc)

>Role(s):
Hammer Application System, Crafter, Sack of Hit Points. Muscle.

>Goals:
Travel and adventure. Smell all the good smells. Be free.

>Traits:
Thug loves freedom and adventure. he enjoys the open road and what it may hold. He rarely stays in one place long though he does own a small cottage and a smithy on the edge of a small town surrounded by fields of flowers. He's not very smart but he has a worldly sort of wisdom as he's seen the best and worst of people in his travels. In battle he is a precise and careful foe who measures his enemies before striking them down with hammerblows. Apprenticed under an elderly man just after earning his freedom and learned much about smithery. He cares a great deal for "little humans" as he refers to them and will often times rise to great acts of bravery (or violence) in their defense.

>Flaws:
Short for an Orc. Has average Orc intelligence, which is to say low. Can only read a handful of important words. Cannot write at all.

>Allies:
Smash, Brute, and Honor. Whatever adventuring party he manages to join next.

>Enemies:
Kenders, Sneaky-Sneakers, and some Finger Wigglers. An Orc Tribe. Metal gobblers. Nobles often times.

>Other Relations:
No family.

>Physical Description:
5'5" of muscle. Dark green skin. A bit hunched (which attributes to his height). Scarred heavily from years of pit fighting. Bald. Never seen without his twin warhammers.

• Name: Jennica Korr
• Role(s): Captain, CQC specialist
• Goals: Reunite the Empire, find father, ignore Force plot hooks until Inquisitors/GM force the issue
• Traits: Uptight, Stubborn, Aggressive, Loyal
• Flaws: Her aggressive and stubborn nature leads to unnecessary risks and have pissed off the wrong people. Combine that with an almost myopic view towards her objectives, both personal and mission-based, and she's led the party out on a limb more than once.
• Allies: A junkie Imperial Tie pilot, a Nosaurian mercenary, a hapless hired gun, an Imperial Warlord with more firepower than common sense
• Enemies: A rogue Inquisitor, a band of Mandolorians, at least one Imperial Remnant Faction, New Republic scum
• Other Relations: Her adopted father, the Imperial officer who got her into ImpInt, which according to different reports is either KIA, captured by the Republic, or working with the Republic
• Physical Description: A tall Cathar who takes pride in her appearance and uniform.
-Mary Sue Score: 10

Poor Korr. She started off as a rum fueled bet that you could make a legitimate catgirl character and became one of my all time favorites to play.

I could use some help with how to take her character. The Empire was her life and a good deal of her identity, and the Remnant faction she backed recently folded, leaving her and the party twisting in the wind save for the warlord who's strong enough to maintain independence in an out of the way system but not much else. Collapsing into depressed indifference is not fun to play and angry denial is already pretty close to how she's reacted to the post-Endor galaxy. Aside from a new sense of determination or anxious frustration, any suggestions on how to handle this?

Someone might've said this in a previous thread, but that "litmus test" doesn't do a very good job being a litmus test. A litmus test is supposed to be quick and simple. The paper changed color? It's an acid.

It's also just for fun and people need to stop taking it as scripture.

I didn't expect to hear the story go that way at all but that sounds rad, never played a desert type campaign before.

Speaking of desert games, this art is freaking brilliant. Who drew it?

>I could use some help with how to take her character. The Empire was her life and a good deal of her identity, and the Remnant faction she backed recently folded, leaving her and the party twisting in the wind save for the warlord who's strong enough to maintain independence in an out of the way system but not much else. Collapsing into depressed indifference is not fun to play and angry denial is already pretty close to how she's reacted to the post-Endor galaxy. Aside from a new sense of determination or anxious frustration, any suggestions on how to handle this?

Aren't there like, a hundred Remnants? If one falls, she just finds another.

Or, better yet, she tries to rekindle the Remnant faction with herself as the head, or at the very least picking out a suitable leader.

Not all remnants are created equal, and both the GM and character have been using comparisons to other Imperial factions to keep the party from being outright bad guys, "But not muh Remnant," etc. She's also pissed a couple of the major ones off.

Definitely going to try to rekindle the old faction and enlist the allied warlord's help.

If you were looking for changes to behavior and personality, it sounds like is she'd just get under an extreme amount of stress at all the new work she has to do *simply to get back to where she was.*

Extreme stress + angry denial = a very, very upset cat. The kind of cat that will go scorched earth if it means making her job easier. That is how I'd start playing the character now; she's gone from aggressive and cunning to aggressive and brutal. The ship's been taking on water for a while now, but now that it's actually around her waist she's willing to do *anything* to get it back to her ankles, even if that means "lightening the load."

>A challenger appears..!

Name: "Red" Callahan

Role(s): Arcane dabbler, combat focused Warlock who had beseeched an Elder Thing to bestow him power on the eve of an ill-fated siege. He doesn't yet know what he paid for the gifts...

Goals: Break the bond forged between him and this cosmic horror, and find a way to stop the hallucinations.

Traits: Analytical, intelligent, and he has a good sword-arm. Doesn't mind hanging around pretty much anybody, assuming they aren't trying to "get" him.

Flaws: suffers major stress disorders from the raid that lost him so many men and through a chain of events caused the eventual capture of his capital.

Enemies: The Otherwordly One that he leeches power from, he hopes not to understand it, but to remove himself from it.

I was shooting for like a medieval themed HPL protag, any tips on how to better hit that mark without being too heavy handed with it? I feel like I came too close to hitting it a bit on the nose.

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

How does he handle stress and his situation? Sarcasm and a surface lightheartedness or lugubrious angst? Avoid purple prosing his problems aloud and you'll get a long way from HPL stereotypes and adding your own spin on things.

HPL protagonists also typically have a single-mindedness that drives them towards their inevitable doom and pushes everyone else away from them. How are you going to/already balancing your character's obsession with the party?

Depends on the stress, I guess. Combat stress he might start to experience a wild sort of recklessness, nothing too crazy like attacking friendlies, but maybe wild-eyed and jerky movement patterns?

As for balancing the inner-party problems, they know about his issues, having been former soldiers under his command, and they've agreed to help him in his pursuit to cleanse his spirit.

Aww

It sounds like he has enough charisma and works with people enough to escape being too much like any HPL protagonist.

Being cat is suffering.

But sometimes, cat needs a cuddle.

Dawwwww!

Alright cool, I was probably just psyching myself out. Hopefully he'll be fun to play, I don't want to run the whole "somber asshole who broods all the time" but I did want the cosmic terror aspect of the character intact.

It's really cool to see artists that throw up a couple of varied expressions on their pieces, I like that a lot.

Just remember your guy commanded enough respect to lead soldiers and has enough optimism to look for a cure. He's not going to be too brooding, in public anyway. Sounds like a fun character to play.

I want these two in a party

>catgirl
>clearly an elf

As for everything else, get a goal. Rebuild something or tear it down, that's always good for drama.

Her goal has always been to rebuild the empire, the user is saying all her hard work has been for naught as the local Remnant collapsed.

It's a game of ladders; Korr has been working her ass off to go up the rungs, but despite all her efforts she has actually *gone down* a few steps. The catgirl that wanted to go from Remnant to Empire now has to go from Nothing to Remnant.

If she was around to see the pre-Endor Empire, that would be enough to make her say "fuck it" and go full insurgent; now, instead of kindly asking for a thing, she's going to get her blaster out and demand it.

Rage. The word I'm looking for is rage. Rage at those who destroyed her government. Rage at being on what is clearly becoming the "wrong side of history." Rage at a universe that doesn't give a shit about all her hopes and efforts. Girl should have enough emotion to power the Emperor Reborn right about now.

OC's poster here, looking at this character I'm trying to think of ways I could improve her and how the experience of the finale session might have changed her. Any advice on the former and if folks are interested I can give a uicj summary of the latter and maybe get advice on that?

Mostly (in games I DM) she appears as a recurring shopkeep bro who will also reward the players for neat character stories/RP.

I can imagine it: Nerding out, robe fashion comparing, and bitching about shittier planes.

>Name:
Zaniel Mobius

>Roles:
Party Wizard, Master Summoner, Battlefield Controller.

>Goal:
Create a school system to teach magic and is use responsibly.
Develop a multiplaner information network.
Find and destroy the cult that turned him into a aberration.

>Traits:
Zaniel is a Stubborn, Determined, Loyal, Blunt, Ignorant, Obvious, and Naive being.

>Flaws:
His time with the cult left him Emotionally Stunted, and unable to develop anything more then basic social skills.

>Allies:
He counts his very large adventuring party as close allies, and is willING to work with most Lawful Outsiders.

>Enemies:
The Forces of Chaos, and Evil to a lesser extent, the CIA, Crazy Cultists, Nyarlathotep

>Other Relationships:
Zaniel was found and eventually raised by Walis the Wizard, after zaniels failed attempted of travel thorough the Badlands

Zaniel if given the chance would rather read a book then talk to his own party members. He is quite fond of book having to do with family struggles that have happy endings.

reminder that this thread is /wst/ territory and your non-lesbian non-lewd special snowflakes are NOT welcome

What's the most overrated plane you think?

Fuck off already.

Anything akin to a celestial plane is usually boring, and getting anything useful is like trying to pluck all the feathers off of an archon's wing.

Better than the primitive ones, though, who might try to turn mages to tinder and fail every time.

All the heavens are such a drag, too based on the whimsy of a single powerful outsider rather than a natural formed world. Primitive worlds can be good for weird resources and spell components sometimes.

what is that face? is she taking a shit?

Try harder.

Especially familiars who might grow/shed said ingredients on the fly.

At least some of the ones further ahead are an absolute treasure trove when they aren't locked behind certifications and IDs... And the automatons are ever more present and intriguing.

that's better than the PF iconic who has a crossbow sticking out of his butt for some reason

>scat is your magical realm
disgusting

This

Once again the unthinking hands of bureaucracy spoil all the fun. Back channels are better for that sort of thing.

I volunteered to post some provoking questions, so that's what I'm doing.

>Someone is speaking to them in their dreams, telling them dark prophesy that has yet to come to fruition, how do they react? Who's speaking to them?
>It's love at first sight! Or rather, a smittance. Who would catch their eye and steal their heart in a casual glance?
>Ooh, that no good, how dare they! Is it hatred? No, not quite. Who's your character most envious of? Better looking? Better fighter? Smarter? what is it?
>They get to change something about themselves, what do they change? Why do they change it? Do you think they'd regret it?

Luvos would...
>Wake up and spend a few hours cleansing his bedroom and making sure there aren't any straggling devils up to mischief in his dreams.
>Not be aware enough of his surroundings to become smitten with someone.
>Be most jealous of someone smarter than him or more respected than him.
>Get rid of all his pent up rage so he could focus on writing his books more. He'd probably regret the next time he wanted crank up the theatrics and villainous monologues but couldn't muster the anger necessary to get the perfect amount of bitterness.

Cathar...have been portrayed as everything from catgirls to elves. See pic related from pre-Bioware.

This I like.

>>Someone is speaking to them in their dreams, telling them dark prophesy that has yet to come to fruition, how do they react? Who's speaking to them?
Well Kaiger's already cursed,he's trying to murder a god and he has another one that's light weight pissed off on him. He'd probably take whatever this Dark Prophecy to heart and share it to the party. Then only listen the Bard and the paladin's advice on how to handle the situation.
>>It's love at first sight! Or rather, a smittance. Who would catch their eye and steal their heart in a casual glance?
Someone who's aroused by green men covered in blood and sweat. So probably some orc girl that didn't even notice him when he was child would his D now.
>>Ooh, that no good, how dare they! Is it hatred? No, not quite. Who's your character most envious of? Better looking? Better fighter? Smarter? what is it?
Kaiger's envious of a lot of people. He's envious of the Bard's intelligence,he's envious of his sister's skill and the praise she gets for it, and he's envious that Marijuano Blaze can sleep with any woman he damn well pleases.
>>They get to change something about themselves, what do they change? Why do they change it? Do you think they'd regret it?
He'd probably change himself to be more human. He has his orc pride but he always feels like he's look down upon because of his heritage. He's far more fascinated to the human world and would love to truly experience it but he'd probably regret it in the end. While he prefers human stories and their people for the most part what he really wants is to somehow bring both together.

Where I'm from, forces of technological bureaucracy tried to remove magic from the realm without 'licenses' or other things, trying to turn it to a common thing for even the unstudied with their technology.

I certainly keep to sticking around the dark now.

>Someone is speaking to them in their dreams, telling them dark prophesy that has yet to come to fruition, how do they react? Who's speaking to them?
Most likely, the being in the dream would be her adoptive daughter of before she began planar travel - and the omen would shake her a bit, especially with how she's seen people who resemble her in various other planes.
>It's love at first sight! Or rather, a smittance. Who would catch their eye and steal their heart in a casual glance?
Since the fling with a particular changeling, ponytails visually catch her eye on someone who looks distinctly (and uniquely) intelligent/strange. Though, it's hard to tell if she's smitten or just finds them curious enough to want to dissect them...
Also, scars are hella charming.
>Ooh, that no good, how dare they! Is it hatred? No, not quite. Who's your character most envious of? Better looking? Better fighter? Smarter? what is it?
It's not exactly full envy, but she is jealous of close families and the like due to her troubled parentage (a couple of criminals) - though she wouldn't tell anyone about it. At least she can act as a better parent for the kids she finds on her travels, she thinks snidely.
>They get to change something about themselves, what do they change? Why do they change it? Do you think they'd regret it?
She would likely try to chill her rather blatant obsession with pulling curious things (living, nonliving, plumbing) apart to find out how they work to less crazy levels. That or increase her bust size.

Where you're from sounds like a nightmare I had once, should come to this corner of the plancescape only regulation here are angels and the occasional mage college trying to keep tabs on their students. Also nothing wrong with wanting to dissect curiosities.

Sounds like a character I played a long while back, Aldo. A war hero, but in reality, committed genocide on unarmed civilians in a lizard folk town - think US Cavalry riding into a native village. The regret and painful memories of it caused him to desert his post. As a roaming sellsword, if confronted with his past, he often becomes rash and violent, but never against the unarmed for fear of retracing his past.

tl;dr ptsd warrior is a fun archtype to play!

>Brother Matthias Oun
>pseudo-animist cleric/shaman
>save as many forgotten spirits and tutelary gods as possible. stop my warlock cousin and his undead marauding boss. finish my pilgrimage.
>humble. worried. as moral as possible. enjoys carving. peaches are his favorite fruit. prayers work most of the time (cause he is the only one who prays to his gods). Can see spirits, like gods or ghosts or fairies. Really helpful when we're lost, cause he can talk with dryads and nature spirits. enjoys being alone.
>guilt-ridden (considers every bad thing done by one specific party member his fault). mendicant. what little he gains is offered to the gods. too trusting (got poisoned by the herbalist. she was a witch). does not hesitate to give blood to random spirits. has a hard time differentiating between spirits and gods and monsters. sometimes overcome with fervor, begins worshiping random crap. his gods have really weird rituals.
>allies: 4 different small gods and a demigod. a party he tries to keep away from the side of evil. an island monastary. his family.
>enemies: sorta dislikes the big gods like pelor and whatnot, cause they are the evil megacorp to his small business. his cousin (my prev. character, the warlock mentioned in goals) who's dad ran away from the large family to the mainland. ATM a witch.
>others: his favorite peach seller, who he prays for in exchange for peaches. The Grass King, a blind seer whose weirdo spirits will probably end the world; I think he's crazy, though. a soon to be met forest god. the duke, whose employment keeps him from completing his pilgrimage.