A [Dungeons & Dragons Character Class] that identifies as a [Dungeons & Dragons Character Class]

>A [Dungeons & Dragons Character Class] that identifies as a [Dungeons & Dragons Character Class]

>Example: A thief that identifies as a cleric because he is convinced that money is something that people need to be cured of.

How would you run with this general concept?

>>A Blackguard that identifies as Paladin

Classes are an out of character concept. Your character can call themselves whatever the fuck they want.

However, don't be shocked when your lack of ability to cast spells means that no one takes you seriously as a wizard.

>Classes are an out of character concept.

Why do guilds exist then?

Why do people need to identify as something? It is others that must recognize your identity. By making it harder to identify a person, it increases the likelihood they will not be identified at all.

>Pic related, it's an Englishman who at this moment identifies as a nazi.
>You wouldn't know that if you didn't take the time to get to know him.

Because of shitty settings.

>he really thinks that D&D is just like Elder Scrolls!

Is this some tranny shit?

>not playing as a muscle wizard

It is now!

do you think there is a barbarian's guild or a warlock's guild?

>Wizard identifies as a barbarian
>Uses illusions to mask her frail figure and to make her magical touch attacks look like punches and kicks.

>people in the same profession with the same skill set don't form organizations

>do you think there is a barbarian's guild

I certainly hope so.

Unions are blight upon this world.
Or any other world in which they exist.

>if I say it, it'll be true!
It fucking isn't. There are no fighter guilds, even if there are organizations which are primarily martial classes. There are no paladin or cleric guilds, even if there are holy orders. There are no thieves guilds, even if there is organized crime. There are no wizard guilds, even if there are organizations composed solely of arcane casters. There are no bard guilds, even if there are bard colleges. There are no druid guilds, even if there are druid circles. And so on and so forth.

>unironically forcing a shitty meme

I once played a rogue who told people she was a paladin so she could trick them into paying "tithes".

Well, they are the blessing send upon this world, as long as they dont get too big and bloated

Yeah, that's fair. But they're still "realistic" - if we suddenly gained magic, you can bet there'd be a wizards guild for at least every country within minutes, each claiming to be the one true authority.

A guild by any other name is still a guild.

>Guilds were and are associations of artisans or merchants who control the practice of their craft in a particular town. The earliest types of guild were formed as confraternities of tradesmen. They were organized in a manner something between a professional association, trade union, a cartel, and a secret society. They often depended on grants of letters patent by a monarch or other authority to enforce the flow of trade to their self-employed members, and to retain ownership of tools and the supply of materials. A lasting legacy of traditional guilds are the guildhalls constructed and used as meeting places.
You thought every organization was a guild, didn't you, you fucking idiot?

No, you're thinking about babies. Unions leaders are no better than polititians. Unions themselves were useful one hundred years ago but they have achieved what they set out to do and created and now are no longer needed.

They are anti-competition and anti-capitalism and largely bankrupt industries they are meant to protect through a tragedy of the commons. No different to polititians voting to raise their living allowance and pay.

If you don't like big dogs, don't get a small dog that will grow into a big dog. You know what I mean?

Think of it this way, say you have a Fighter's Guild, or a Thieve's guild.

Imagine that one day, two men walk into the Fighter's guild, both wearing tribal leather armor, using big axes, and want to join. We'll assume that the Guild accepts. However, only one of those men is a Fighter, and the other is a Barbarian. The guild might be called the 'Fighter's Guild', but that doesn't mean anyone present has the concept of a Fighter class.

Warrior's Guild would be a better name, and to join that, you'd just need good skill at arms.

For the Thieve's guild, are they going to turn away anyone who isn't a Rogue? Are they going to say no to a Warlock or Sorcerer that wants to join? They're going to say no to the guy that can turn invisible and create illusions because they can't backstab people?

Of course classes are an out of character concept. Even in D&D you have so many ways to accomplish certain concepts that the idea you could identify what class someone was from an in-game perspective is just silly.

I have a PC in my current campaign that is a sorcerer who believes that he is a wizard. He is continually perplexed at the fact that he isn't being allowed to study at any of the academies of magic.

Guilds form around in-setting jobs, not character classes.

This is the single most retarded thread concept I've ever seen posted on Veeky Forums, par excellence bar none.

Fucking wow. I'd prefer a frontpage worth of "elf slave what do" threads to instantaneously losing 15 IQ points upon reading this OP like I just did.

One of the problems in today's society is that corporations can do whatever the fuck they want. Unions, for all their flaws, provided a counterbalance against that, and with their decline, so went worker rights and benefits. Now, another way to keep corporations in check is by more government regulation, but the folks who hate unions tend to also hate government intervention. I don't really what form it takes, but corporations need some check on their power, and the people who think that they don't strike me as 13 kinds of crazy: as if corporations were the one magic thing uninfluenced by typical human behavior. Everything and everybody needs to be kept in check.

In 3.5 there was actually a prestige class made for that concept in mind. Multiclass sorceror/wizard. I don't think it was as OP as it sounded

>Multiclass sorceror/wizard.
>I don't think it was as OP as it sounded

>One of the problems in today's society is that corporations can do whatever the fuck they want.
No they don't, they have never been under more regulation, social preasure and have had more selective customers in the history of commerce.

>Unions, for all their flaws, provided a counterbalance against that, and with their decline, so went worker rights and benefits.
No, they do not. The public now does that, unions are another drain on a companies resources that they have to cowtow too. Worker rights and benefits always go up, the talk of minimum wage going to $15 in California, they got greedy and wanted more for flipping burgers than an entry level EMT gets. Consequently they are being fired en masse.

>Now, another way to keep corporations in check is by more government regulation, but the folks who hate unions tend to also hate government intervention.
Incorrect, customers are the only valued way to keeping businesses in check. Who watches the Watchmen? Government are more corrupt than businesses and coorperations, why would you bring in a provably more corrupt system to watch one that is fairly transparent and open?

>People who think that they don't strike me as 13 kinds of crazy: as if corporations were the one magic thing uninfluenced by typical human behavior.
Not an argument.

>Everything and everybody needs to be kept in check.
Again, wrong. I, nor the vast majority of adults in the working/middle class, need to be kept in check. We have morals, a family and obligations. You do not make laws and restrict the life of the majority because of the actions of the few.

Elder Scrolls was a D&D setting originally, before it got turned into the game series by the people who played it.

It's called the wilds

What? No it wasn't, it was a literally a beat 'em up before it became an RPG. Elder Scrolls did not begin at Oblivion.

Ultimate Magus and it's pretty weak, plent of slells per day but at a much lower level. In theory you could get level 9 spells but it's cheesy as fuck, usually end up capping off at 8th

I mean, I used to play as a Thief that took cover as a Mage. She'd use basic prestidigitation, cold reading, parlor tricks in order to pretend to be a sage and diviner. She'd use alcohol, a flint and steel hidden in her sleeves to breathe fire, basic David Copperfield stuff. She got arrested one time, and was forcibly tattoed all over, she passes them off as 'Arcane markings' now to make her acts more convincing.

>retarded thread concept

It's SJW bait. Ref: "identifies."

That's what sociopaths say when they need to make the world go away so they can replace it with the delusion that wanting something unreal is the same as getting it. Not that there's anything "wrong" with self-delusion ...

Reddit and tumblr are based on this very principle, and now they've inva- I mean, "immigrated" to Veeky Forums to make it a better place by telling us how to think and express ourselves with more "inclusiveness" and fewer Words That Wound and Toxic Masculinity in our "problemmatical" TTGs. Our new image board is going to be GREAT!

Whether we like it or not.

>[blank] is a blight upon this world with no exceptions whatsoever

not sure if bait or just retarded

>Acting as if corporations were the one magic thing uninfluenced by typical human behavior.

So to prevent corruption you idea is to put more chances for corruption in the way of detecting corruption to prevent the corruption that you originally tried to prevent in the first place?

That is quite some doublethink you have there, friendo.

I can't tell if you are a idealist libertarian or simply a corporatist. Either way, you don't know history if you think businesses are under fewer restrictions than in, say, the middle ages. At no point in history have businesses been capable of amassing the kind of state-independent wealth and power that they are now, starting from the gilded age. Even during the industrial revolution the big companies were routinely gutted by nation states to fund things like wars. No first world government dares to do that now. The opposite, actually.

>Government are more corrupt than businesses and coorperations
Haha! Jesus, you're killing me, here.

I cannot imagine the amount of shit we would be in if we replaced the national government with a corporate entity. Just look at Standard Oil if you want to see what happens with lower regulation. Waste from the processing of oil and gas straight into the rivers, no fucks given. Literally strangling every small oil producer in the nation to death and then jacking up prices. Forcing the entire nation's railways to run on their schedules rather than what is needed for the nation or other industries.

Mind you, even at that point there were regulations. There were just FEWER of them. No regulation would be even worse.

Lmao

>What is colloquial language

>I can't tell if you are a idealist libertarian or simply a corporatist. Either way, you don't know history
Leave out in future, ad-hominen.

>Businesses are under fewer restrictions than in, say, the middle ages.
Businesses were owned by one of several groups, the Church, the State or the Jews. Small businsses did not amass Capital in any meaningful way, they traded for services and goods in the middle ages, that is not counting trained professions, we'll get to them in a moment.

>At no point in history have businesses been capable of amassing the kind of state-independent wealth and power that they are now, starting from the gilded age.
What was every East India Trade Company, Dutch East India Trading Company. WHAT ARE FUCKING TRADE GUILDS.

>Even during the industrial revolution the big companies were routinely gutted by nation states to fund things like wars.
No, banks were gutted and loans were taken out against royal assets, typically drawn from other nations or our good friend the Hebrewin' Jewin' financers from parts of Europe you were not fighting with.

>I cannot imagine the amount of shit we would be in if we replaced the national government with a corporate entity
At no point was that mentioned, again, focus on the argument not on dramatics. The State follows the same rules of business and is no different, it's main interest is to perpetuate itself and aquire capital.

>Just look at Standard Oil if you want to see what happens with lower regulation. Waste from the processing of oil and gas straight into the rivers, no fucks given.
You use an exception to enforce a ruling. There is the same as pointing to a plane falling out of the sky and then enforcing travel by land. Oil corperations are the biggest money in the world, it is so confusing who owns what and where. But you say small oil producers... there are no small oil producers as the start up cost to locate oil alone is in the millions of dollars.

I hope this helps you.

Well, actually, that is German portraying an Englishman, who is identifying as a Nazi for reasons of subterfuge.

I'm not going to get into this discussion, but I just need to say this:

It's spelled "Politicians" not "Polititians."

Well done, you got the joke. Actually, half Irish/Half German but still the actor was playing English.

Well good man, you spotted the flaw in my argument. In the business of debate we call that "Hitchens Other Razor", that is what can be presented with facts can be dismissed by poor spelling.

Not the same guy but..Oooh. You're just an idiot. If you don't think corporations are in a better state than they've ever been because they exploit everyone else..I don't know, man. That's just sad at this point.

I played a warlock who for all intents and purposes was a paladin.

He had horrible cosmic knowledge thrust upon him, and decided his best course in life was to form that knowledge into a physical spooky bludgeon and start making the world a better place one clubbed villain at a time.

Is he half Irish? I had no idea.

Also, I explicitly said that I wasn't trying to get in on the discussion. To clarify, I just wanted to point out that was the wrong way to spell politician, not trying to dismiss you out of turn.

>literally a beat'em up.

Golden Axe isn't an Elder Scrolls game, you tard.

Never said that at all, business is competition. In a competition there are winners and losers. We can't all get a trophy in life user. Of course some people get fucked over, some people legally, a rare few illegally.

But again, the point is you provide a rational and clear argument not just a simple one-liner that can be easily countered.

Of course you did, otherwise you would not of posted. A simple quick sly comment to show everybody that you -coud-, but won't beat anybody in an argument.

No, but Arena was originally envisioned as a beat 'em up, then the plot was attached and then side quests and eventually it became more fun to do the side quests that it was changed midway through. So much that the printing of the artwork had already been done, hence why it says Arena and why Tamriel is translated in one language in to Arena.

>I miss the 90-hour work week! What happened to the good old days, when we could literally chain workers to their desks?

>Thinking rampant unchecked cosalidated greed has ever been good for the common man.
You poor bastard

There's actually a group in Golarion and a Pathfinder Class Archetype based around this.

Rasmiri Clerics (Cleric of the False God in the SRD and PFSRD, I think) are Sorcerers who pretend to be Clerics, since Rasmiri is not a real God.

>Of course you did, otherwise you would not of posted. A simple quick sly comment to show everybody that you -coud-, but won't beat anybody in an argument.

I feel like you're putting much more thought into this than I am. Also, this argument hinges on the fact that I'm trying to save face, which doesn't make sense, since we're Anonymous.

I honestly thought you didn't know how to spell politician. I wouldn't have even read your post had the the misspelled word not caught my eye and annoyed me.

Is spellcheck not turned on for you?

>Dumb thread about D&D setting conventions
>Maybe baiting a transgender argument?
>Suddenly Libertarian wankery
Veeky Forums is a magical place.
Let's not go there.

>Being unable to present facts and opinions in an argument instead resorting to ad-hominen and reductio ad absurdum to look clever.

Henry Ford, founder of Ford Motor Company, came up with the 40 hour week. He was an ardent anti-unionist and was the one who paid well above the going rate the unions at the time wanted 'Their Guys' to be paid.

Most things you ascribe to unions actually came from the free market and direct competition between businesses.

>Presented with a fairly straight forward argument
>Saw a word spelled wrong
>user thinks he must not know how to spell it
>Corrects the spelling not the argument

there's plenty of ways to fluff this, OP. Just make your thief a 'cleric' of a god of thieves.
I have a Bard who acts as a priestess of a goddess of revelry, drink and song. I've also had a Hexcrafter Magus who was more like a martial-witch (made easier by the fact hexcrafter gets Witch features).

And it doesn't need to stop with official classes. You can fluff a Bard or Rogue as a traveling shady merchant. Barbarians, rangers, rogues and gunslingers can all be pirates of some persuasion. Alchemists by themselves have tons of fluff potential.

You misspelled it multiple times! If it were just the once, I wouldn't have even noticed it! It was literally the only thing I cared about!

>A viral image said that Henry Ford, not unions, created the eight-hour work day and the five-day work week.

>Ford does deserve credit for adopting shorter working shifts, but he was hardly the first employer to do this, and the now-standard working schedule did not become federal law -- and thus a right for all workers -- until almost a quarter-century after Ford’s move. Meanwhile, experts said, unions do deserve credit for keeping the working-hours issue alive, at significant personal sacrifice, for 70 years.

>The claim contains some element of truth but ignores critical facts that would give a different impression, so we rate it Mostly False.
You should probably Google when you're about to say something you think is a fact.

Everything I put in my post was correct user, he was the one that set the 40 hour 5 day week. Others may have done so on a tiny scale, but a big industrialist like Ford was the one to bring it to the table in any meaningful way.

And as said, hated unions as all successful and popular business have done.

Ford was more instrumental than the unionists as he did it, he paid a living wage which your lot tend to harp on about. Driven by bussiness and competition and the free market during the industry.

Monstly false is no better than mostly true.

Corporate shills on my Veeky Forums?
It's more likely than you think!

>I cannot imagine the amount of shit we would be in if we replaced the national government with a corporate entity.

Of course, it's not as though we don't have historical examples in which this has been tried.

Remember the Congo Free State? Truly a Free Market paradise in which a rising tide lifted all ships.

And by "ships", I of course mean "severed hands".

>Congo Free State was state communism in all but name.

I literally quoted you actual research saying "he was not the first employer to do this".
A successful business is also not necessarily a business that treats its workers well. Slavery is a successful business.
Lack of regulations is also poisoning the land and destroying the atmosphere.
Fracking and the rest of the fossil fuel industry have massive deleterious effects on the planet. That they're "successful" means nothing.

It's like you want us to become China.

>State run by a for-profit corporation
>Communism

You do realize that those words MEAN things, right?

It's called checks and balances. The market cannot self-regulate when corporations can outspend everyone else.

Yeah, he got it right. Communism always devolves into bread line bullshit while (((fat cats))) live like kings with loadsamoney

Not him, but that's like saying "because other phone companies made touch-screen phones before Apple, the iPhone did not essentially create the modern smartphone industry." And I'm saying this as someone who hates Apple products.

Even if it existed before, it wasn't until an industrialist like Ford took it to the scale and level of success that he did that it was actually taken seriously.

Is there any way to play a sneaky assassin that basically only targets undead?

I'll give up a lot of power to kill not undead things if I must. I just want to smite undead dudes with the power of 1000 suns but not be an obnoxious paladin or whatever.

But it literally didn't happen that way.
>the now-standard working schedule did not become federal law -- and thus a right for all workers -- until almost a quarter-century after Ford’s move. Meanwhile, experts said, unions do deserve credit for keeping the working-hours issue alive, at significant personal sacrifice, for 70 years.

>because it wasn't official federal law, nobody was doing it

Please, take a moment to look beyond a singular quote you looked up on Google.

>A few people were doing it, so that means everything was okay!
I would much rather there be laws against treating your employees decently as opposed to just hoping that employers do that. It boggles my mind that anyone would wish otherwise.

I don't disagree, but to attribute it to the Unions is being willfully ignorant of the impact that the free market had on getting those kinds of standards in place to start with.

If the 40-hour work week and living wages hadn't become relatively standard among American industry in the years following Ford, do you really think the federal government would have ever been able to get away with passing it into law? It was finally passed into law because the free market was already trending towards it, not the other way around.

The irony of calling a class with no 9ths and inferior access to metamagic an 'ultimate' magus.

It's attributed to Unions because the Unions are the ones who fought for it and got it made into a codified law. It was passed into law because of social pressure, just like social pressure ended slavery and child endangerment through forcing them to work dangerous jobs.

The point of unions and their ilk is that they force help force nation wide standards. They help make it so any advances in the treatment of workers are permanent, and not just so thing a company does if it's fishing for good will.

Guilds as they exist for broad things.
For example

Fighter.
That's a pretty broad fucking class.
A fighter's "Guild" is often little more than a place for men and women who happen to like splitting skulls to gather.

A Thief or Rogue's guild doesn't exist because Rogue exists as a class, but rather because of what a traditional Rogue is.
Someone who steals shit, infiltrates things, gathers and sells information, and possibility dabbles in assassination, kidnapping, and extortion.
It isn't a guild for characters who are the rogue class specifically, but characters who simply enjoy participating in such acts.
If a Wizard has the toolset available to become a thief, then there's nothing stopping him from joining a rogue's guild.

Communism is not anti-profit, it's methods tend to be but the idea that it dislikes surpless is retarded. Communism need not have a party or an invasion, a monarch can and did practice it in the form of Free Congo State with Leopold II.

fluid druid
semen demon

Y'all so fucking mad.
I played a pathfinder rogue who wanted to be a wizard but had no magical talent so he used slight of hand to whip out different wands from secret pockets in his coat and "use magic device" to attack. SO FUN

>they have never been under more regulation
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cancer mage thread ?

>Not an argument.

I though the joke was people who actually like Fassbender.

Do any of those people play games or even like games?
Whenever someone hijacks a thread to voice his inner tumblr, all the words translate to "Me! Me! Look at me!".
I've never seen any of them talk about a game, or about anything related to playing a game.

>Arena
>Beat 'em up

Is this some revisionist history or what? Arena was originally envisioned as a gladiator management game, and they kept adding features to it until it began to resemble what we'd call a CRPG (which is less of an RPG and more of an action game with a strategy meta involving numbers).

And yes, the setting was originally based on the dev's homebrew RPG setting.

To be fair, working conditions are quickly improving in China since the free market took hold. On the opposite, unions are killing the french economy and gridlocking the french society as we speak.

Why not? At the end of the day, libertarians are just one class pretending to be another out of convenience.

Yeah, why the fuck should workers have rights. Apart from, you know, the right to work. On weekends.
In fact, let's go full star alliance and ask our workers to PAY to WORK.

And the free market is killing the planet. And also several more economies. Since it's cheaper to outsource to poorer countries. And those poorer countries with less regulations and care for health and safety are just going to poison the water and let their workers die.

Regulations make it hard to do business.
They also mean that you can't put up suicide nets because it's cheaper than treating your workers like human beings.
Since most people are, will be, or have been workers, that second one is pretty important to people.

You can be a priest without being a cleric. If you want to be a priest, get ordained. If you want to be a cleric, multiclass.

I realize the US is corrupt to the point where pretty much all unions are run by the mafia, but that isn't the case everywhere in the world.

Except the unions nowadays aren't fighting to get more rights or protection for the employees, merely to keep their privileges.

ITT: People who have never worked a union job

I worked a school maintenance job for 6 years to pay for college, unions are definitely important.

Class is not an 'in world' concept.
Nobody says "I am a fighter" or "I am a rogue" or "I am a cleric".

You might identify yourself as a "warrior of faith", but that might mean you're a paladin, a cleric, a religious bard, or even a particularly religious member of any other class.

Even a "kooky spellcaster with a book" could be a wizard, a knowledge cleric, a lore bard, or a book-warlock.

Class is solely a mechanical thing. Any fluff you add to it is your own.