This game has a starter set, a movie...

>this game has a starter set, a movie, a video game and a board game coming out with over 7 different books available for purchase

What the fuck is going on here? This game literally never gets any "play" on Veeky Forums at all, and nobody cares even slightly about it. Nobody I know has even heard of it except for the grogs who hate the system, so where the fuck is all of this support coming from? WHO IS BUYING THIS SHIT

It had a sizable Kickstarter, and surprisingly there's a whole world out there that buys stuff outside of you and Veeky Forums.

>a movie, a video game
what the fuck? what? i have heard nothing of it. nothing. I only know of a small following of it on Veeky Forums. Video game and movie? links to stuff

movie's just some 10 minute short film called strand.

The video game was one of the earliest and most successful kickstarters ever so I have no idea how you fucking missed that you stupid asshole.

is this game any good?

>and nobody cares even slightly about it.
> Nobody I know has even heard of it except for the grogs who hate the system

I mean. The entire planet consists entirely of you and the people you know, so I'm just as confused as you man.

But, if nobody cares about it...where's the money coming from? WHAT THE FUCK HAVE YOU JUST UNCOVERED

>10 minute short
so not a movie, no. doesn't matter

>kickstarted video game
Not their either.

Ok so its not as popular as you think it is. The world makes more sense.

I mean, I liked it. Setting's kinda cool, especially the books on outer space and the deep sea. I've always dug science fantasy and post-post-apocalyptic settings.

Not a system I particularly love or gush about, but I did enjoy myself playing and running it.

IT'S THE JEWISH LIZARDPEOPLE FROM MARS!
WAKE UP AMERICA, WAKE UP SHEEPLE!

One of the people in my circle ran a brief game of it. It looks kinda neat.

no it doesnt

yes it does

i have refuted your opinion with my own. we are at an impasse. what do we do now?

I think its up to five good Kickstarters, if you count the rest of the Cypher System titles.

The system has potential but it feels like they made the barebones of it and went "fuck it lets do more lore writing" I also don't like that the 3 pools also count as health.

I am going to actually download and read the rulebook because Im over 30 and I can only shitpost once a day before my adult mind says "shut the fuck up" and I act reasonably...

People have posted about this before, its not unheard of on Veeky Forums but I believe its more popular in Europe than America. Its probably just those wacky germans.

I've found that Veeky Forums only talks about stuff it really hates or really loves. It took forever for FFG Star Wars games to get traction here becase they were good but now there's aalways a general... but it has the benefit of miniatures game lines so it's skewed things a bit.

D&D/PF brings out the frothing as holes who think people care about their opinions even if they've been said hundreds of times and people still play the games so it gets talked about a lot.. usually by te same frothing assholes who try as hard as they can to bait.

Numenera must sit somewhere in "good territory". I have not played it but I have played The Strange (compatible game, same system) and it's pretty fun.

So unless it makes you scream or cum, its banned here?

I actually really like Numenera. The Corebook was alright, but the further published books have been fucking awesome. Into the Night was great, loved Into the Deep. Wish they'd publish more adventures, oh well.

The biggest problem I have with Numenera is that the advice for GMs to never, ever explain anything weird or wondrous is fucking stupid.

I get the intention: it's a billion years of history, it's barely comprehensible to the quasi-medieval society of the Ninth World. But if you lead on your players who want to find out how humans returned to Earth after being absent for millions of years and the GM, at the very end of the campaign, goes "I tricked you all! You will never find out, it's too mysterious!", that's fucking stupid.

I dont think they actually said that in the corebook dude.

Im pretty damn sure that you're free to change anything you want about the setting, in fact, they are intentionally vague about the previous 8 worlds so you can say whatever you want about it. I mean, they set the video game on the other ass-end of the world so there isn't canon issues.
All the corebook states about the previous worlds is:
They reached amazing levels of tech, and then disappeared or faded away. Either by ascension or destruction, it is not known.
The previous world did not involve humans probably based on what the octopi said.

That's about it dude. It's a toolbox, not a metaplot setting. If you want to say that the previous worlds were actually ____ then go ahead.

Another problem is that isn't at all what Numenera is about. It's not about miring yourself in the past endlessly, it's about moving forward and living in this crazy world. Most people don't care about the history of a dungeon they're exploring, they're there for the loot.

Good idea, poor execution, odd design decisions.

id like you to explain this further please :(

>Good idea
On paper, Numenera sounds fucking awesome. A far flung future of earth where countless sci-fi empires have risen and fallen over the span of thousands and thousands of years, leaving incomprehensible super-tech laying around everywhere? Sign me the fuck up! There is so much you could do with a setting like this it's ridiculous.
>Poor execution
Unfortunately, the whole thing is just bland. I don't know if it's due to dry writing or if their ideas outran their imagination or what, but it just turned out kind of boring.
For an example of what I'm on about, take a look at the equipment section real fast. It looks like it was copied wholesale from any other fantasy heartbreaker with one or two additions. Broadsword, longspear, platemail, etc. The only difference is that it might be made from some waaaacky material like...plastic. Woo hoo. It doesn't even do anything. It's a massive letdown.

Of course, these are just my opinions on the damn thing. Read it yourself, and see if you like it. I'm just chucking my two cents in here.

I buy and play Numenera, I'm actually running a hexcrawl in the setting. The world is neat and the game is simple and quick.

>Unfortunately, the whole thing is just bland. I don't know if it's due to dry writing or if their ideas outran their imagination or what, but it just turned out kind of boring.

All their good ideas went into the books that came after the core book. "Ninth World Guidebook", "Into the Beyond" and "Into the Deep" are actually pretty fucking radical, and they're coming out with a book that explores other dimensions.

Of course that requires one to buy/find pirated PDFs of them, but it's well worth it I think.

>Unfortunately, the whole thing is just bland. I don't know if it's due to dry writing or if their ideas outran their imagination or what, but it just turned out kind of boring.
>For an example of what I'm on about, take a look at the equipment section real fast. It looks like it was copied wholesale from any other fantasy heartbreaker with one or two additions. Broadsword, longspear, platemail, etc. The only difference is that it might be made from some waaaacky material like...plastic. Woo hoo. It doesn't even do anything. It's a massive letdown.

This is spades, you've had countless cultures and tech so advanced it can't be told from magic and they've gone genric sci-fi where things are slightly chrome/plastic looking and look like they were thought up only a hundred years from now, M.D. Geist seems more appropriate.

equipment is my biggest irritation with the system

light weapons do 2 dmg
medium weapons do 4
heavy do 6

some heavy are two handed

thats it

what the fuck

wait, what?

Also, remember that there's no actual reason to go out and get that plastic platemail either. All armor in the same category (light, medium, and heavy) give you the exact same amount of protection. There's no difference between the types mechanically, so your best bet is to get the cheapest one and call it a day.

literally:

Light Weapons: 2 damage
Short sword
small katana
Throwing weapon like a dagger

Medium Weapon 4 damage
long sword
medium katana
gun that shoots darts or something

heavy weapon 6 damage
greatsword
big katana
cannon

thats how weapons work in this game, it sucks dick

That's not true. The armor gives you +1 damage soak, then medium is 2 and heavy is 3.

Armor also drains your pools so it must be removed frequently for some reason

Sorry, poor wording on my part. There's a difference between the types of armor, yes. But there's no difference mechanically between Scalemail and Platemail, which are both Heavy armors. You'd never buy Platemail over Scalemail simply because the latter is cheaper.

Yeah, that stupid sample town could have come out of any quasi-medieval fantasy setting for the last twenty years.

As says though, later material was much better at making things interesting.

which town are you referring to there are like 30

I have shamelessly backed every kickstarter of this. I am not a huge fan of the system but it's easy to learn and use so it is really easy to bring players from a variety of systems into this one.

The setting and motif though is one I am a big fan of. I am a huge fan of Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun, of the 4X game Endless Legend, and of Adventure Time.

I agree with people who say the setting is too vague and the best stuff comes from the later books detailing the setting further. Anyone who at least has not looked into this game though should at least take a glance at it rather than dismissing it for not showing up on Veeky Forums.

op here

i just wanted to know why i never showed up

It shows up on occasion but Veeky Forums tends to be a bit obsessive about a few select games while only wanting to be mildly informed about the RP community at large. I would not use Veeky Forums as a sole example of what's going on in the RPG market at large anymore than I would use any other online community.

There's also a few extremely rabid fans who will go to great lengths of mental gymnastics to defend the system from any and all criticism, even if it's valid.

We have threads on Veeky Forums about this.

It's really well made, but a niche even among RPGs

>Starter Set
Lots of games have these nowadays, it's good business sense

>A movie
Literally anyone who wants to throw 5k bucks at the wall can hire a few cosplayers and """actors""" to do a 10 minute short flick

>A video game
That completely and 100% sold itself on "Guys, Planescape: Torment!"

>A board game
It's a game, made by game designers. Making a boardgame isn't something atypical for game designers to do.

>7 different books
All you need to do is write them.

Lots of people play shit that Veeky Forums completely ignores. Hell, historical wargaming eclipses the rest of the market and it barely has a genral going here. As for who is buying it? People. Varyious people more or less into RPGs. Most people barely know there are other games than D&D, let alone who Monte Cook is. They just play what their friends are playing and that's that.

For a system this obscure?

Probably just trolls.

No joke man, people go nuts over this shit. Like, legit autismos.

Light weapons do 2 damage but always reduce the difficulty to hit by 1.

Medium weapons do 4 damage but can be used with one hand and don't affect attack difficulty.

Heavy weapons do 6 damage but must be used with two hands.

Rolls of 17-20 deal additional +1 to +4 damage.

You mean legit like, Touhou-fag went crazy defending this?

I could see that, but he usually doesn't have a very good grasp of how RPG's actually play and I don't feel like this is his normal style.

But it sounds a little worse if you ignore all that.
Stop trying to change the narrative.

does anyone have a copy of Into the Deep?

Nah, 2hu doesn't like Cypher. He's not the one defending it.

>how RPG's actually play
Oh fuck off with your "The GM can just fix the rules themselves!" bullshit.

Would anyone like to address this?

Why repost an old thread, copy-pastaed from the archives?

It was addressed long ago, that kind of rehashed trolling is boring as fuck.

Wrong thread man, ignorance of the rules doesn't mean that only the GM can fix them, it means you need to learn to read. Stop addressing stuff that's not said.

You meant to post here

>It's vague on purpose!
That sounds lazy as fuck

Banned is a stretch, it's just that those threads don't garner much attention and as such they aren't seen often.

If you watch CGP Grey's video on how internet communities grow, it would make a lot of sense.

Hating on a game actually grows it's supporters, and supporting a game grows it's haters.

Veeky Forums doesn't hold dominion over the entire hobby. People are allowed to like stuff you don't like.

Oooh shit! You called out 2hu and now he's done samefagging and full-on defending. This is gonna be fuckin good!

Nigger, he's legit too autistic to not post how he does.

It'll have a 2hu, and be rather verbose. Every time.

I have the Strange, the system seems kind of bland, but I'd play/run it sometime.
The artwork in the books is fucking gorgeous though

>refuting someone's opinion
>someone's opinion on how something LOOKS
>calls self mature and adult

gr8 b8 m8

But he's not even the one who likes Cypher.

ALLAH HUU SNACKBAT

I like the core rulebook. The setting material is boring, but it does "exceptional person" really well.

I got some Numenera minis just because I thought they were cool sculpts, those are okay.
Some friends played it, but I think it was more a case of enjoying any RPG with the right people than because the system's actually particularly good.