Alright Veeky Forums I just got the go ahead to do some demo nights for Guild Ball at my lgs...

Alright Veeky Forums I just got the go ahead to do some demo nights for Guild Ball at my lgs. I don't usually see generals on here for the game, but I've been having a great time with it and I think the new league rules are looking like a ton of fun.

My question for you Veeky Forums is when you started which guilds looked like the most fun for you? I only ask because the store owner said he'd grab a few starters so that people who are interested could grab one right then and there.

strawpoll.me/10578704

Also Guild Ball General? Slippery Fish Edition

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=p7G-sTFpQto
steamforged.com/guildball/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Alright what is guild ball all about m8?

Guild Ball is a fantasy skirmish game similar to Blood Bowl, but instead of American Football, it's Soccer.

Both teams are composed of one Captain, one Mascot, and 4 other players. (six total models on each side for a full sized game)

Gameplay is quick paced with the largest mechanical difference from other wargames being alternating model activation. You activate and perform all the actions you can with a model, then your opponent does the same, you continue this process until all models have gone, then the turn is over.

This video will provide a bit of insight into what the game looks like, as well as giving an overview to some of the other mechanics.

youtube.com/watch?v=p7G-sTFpQto

Another great thing about the game is that all the rules and resources are available for download for free from SteamForged at their site at steamforged.com/guildball/

>based off soccer
Is there an ability to take a dive and act like someone hurt you?

I just got into the game at my LGS. Playing a pretty standard Union list from what I can tell (Starter, Coin, Mist, Rage) and I love playing this game.

Only had one massively no fun game (got blown out by a Butchers list where I lost turn 2).

The demo teams my friend teaches with (He's a Pundit) are Fish and Butchers. Good balance of Football and Murderball.

Yeah I currently own the fish starter and was going to grab butchers for that exact reason.

Right now that ability isn't available, but it will ruin my immersion if it isn't added next season

Thank god I've got a striker on my team who won't take a dive.

But yes, I hope they add something of the sort in the future. I think the team behind GB could add rules for it and it wouldn't detract from the game.

I'm thinking up picking up Hunter's as my second team, anyone have any experience with them? They seem cool but it looks like if they get stuck in they're pretty much fucked. Is that assumption correct?

Im really enjoying it. coming from a heavy competitive warmachine meta its been great, dragging all kinds of people in. i started with fishermen, now painting my hunters.

Its more of a case of you need to control the game from the get go. Once you loose control your going to have a really hard time getting it back. Being in melee doesnt mean you are fucked you just have to make sure you wanted to be there.

I've got a buddy who want's to paint Stave up like demo man, any tips for getting the skin tone correct? Looks like you've nailed the look on that Corsair

For that I used the P3 paint Idrian flesh, mixed it with a lightest skin tone in the range and applied it lightly where needed. and a wash of a dark brown in the depths. hope it helps.

Yeah I don't have much experience painting skin tones and it worries me

Just back from work thanks for the info guys

Starter wise I only remember that the mason's one is pretty garbage as harmony isn't very good. (model or rules wise)

Its really good for people getting in to the game as Honor really shows what the team can be capable of, and at starter box level you can really feel the effects of an extra activation and Armour. Moving on you will 90% replace Harmony.

Been playing guild ball for awhile now. Personally I really like the game because it has a lot of depth to it when it comes to strategy. Between controlling momentum, positioning, influence allocation, activation order, and objective control, there's a lot of ways to gain an advantage over your opponent. On top of that each team really has their own unique play style.

Harmony can be a bit tricky to play but she can accomplish some crazy plays when set up properly. The fact that she can take both honurs tac, and kick stat is really nuts. Together they can tag team most any model in the game. 10 (12 with legendary play) influence worth of tac 6 attacks into an enemy model before your opponent can say anything about it is nuts. Another strat is to have honur go first tackle the ball from someone, because she has a momentous tackle on one. Drop the ball for Harmony who activates, takes Honurs kick stat, moves and shots with four dice for a goal.

Well the strawpoll sample size is small, but I think it gives me a pretty good indication of what teams I should tell the shop owner, thanks guys

When I started out it was mostly just Mason's vs Brewers and it was a fun time. Mostly just smashing face. Honestly though any one of the teams can be a great starter the only problem is if you pair it against a counter. Like Mason's vs engineers, would be really in favor of the engis due to Mason's low mov and def. Also the fact that armor doesn't stop character plays.

bumpin

just to get some discussion going, what factions are you guys playing?

I've got butchers and Mason's myself. I'll probably get Union soon because everyone does. Pic related is my wip butchers.

Damn those are looking good user, I've got the fisherman starter box still unassembled and I'm terrified to paint flesh tone models

I also haven't based a model before...

I have a question, if I buy a physical copy of the season 2 book does it contain all the updated rules and the season 2 fluff? I only ask because the pdfs are broken up into two books on the steamforged site

Thanks. I've never really done realistic skin tones before so I'm still getting a feel for it. Boar's back is kind of a mess at the moment. I've been using reaper's rosy skin with gw's riekland flesh wash and then highlighting back up. Its pretty simple and it works fairly well. Just make sure to thin the skin paint and go in layers.

I've never based a model either. I just cheat and use scenic bases

I'll try and get a hold of those paints, they seem to be a good tone to work off of, I assume more wash can apply a sort of tanned look

If you look at fillet in the middle, she actually hasn't been highlighted yet. If you just use a light wash over the skin tone it probably would be fine, and give you that tanned look. You could also use various darker skin tones and washes. The washes can really change the overall look of the skin depending on what you want. Rieklands adds more of a reddish hue. If you use seraphim sepia it add more of yellow/orange, and agrax earth shade will give you a more brown/darker hue.

Also if you want a gw paint for the skin tone, kislev flesh is probably the closest to rosy skin. Caidain flesh tone and ratskin flesh could also be used but they are a bit darker.