Why did WotC choose the most boring motherfuckers in the multiverse to be the new faces of Magic...

Why did WotC choose the most boring motherfuckers in the multiverse to be the new faces of Magic? All of the members of the Gatewatch are some of the most two-dimensional characters I've ever seen.

Gideon is as R/W as they come but they had to kill Elspeth and forget about Ajani so he gets to be monowhite for some reason. Nobody can decide if Jace is the autistic lonely telepath or the snarky asshole genius, and in the meantime Tamiyo exists and isn't dull as fuck. Nissa doesn't have a personality beyond "oh" but they fucked over Garruk for some reason. Chandra is the kind of character a nine year old comes up with ("She's impulsive and likes fire!") while Koth has been pushing Phyrexian shit in for half a decade now and Sarkhan just carried an entire block on his shoulders. Liliana is basically just a flat-out villain but they don't have any other Black characters.

I hate this! Being a Vorthos is suffering.

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=YHjdTZ-myCU
m.youtube.com/watch?v=4zLfCnGVeL4
youtube.com/watch?v=pwIPwi_FSVc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Because all the good characters are being good in their own storylines away from this cancerious concept.

Why do people like you complain about shit?

I like the Gatewatch. Fight me.

I remember when i first started playing magic.

I started playing in 4th Edition and came back in Scars. I like the Gatewatch.
I'm sick of people bitching about it. Most of the people who do so are the kind of bad at magic idiots that think their dumb ideas will "save" a Magic that doesn't need to be saved.

Cause complaining is just as fun as playing the game. I also like the gatewatch, except new Nissa. Not that Garruk was any more interesting

>but they don't have any other Black characters
aside from sorin, but he's too potentially interesting

Reading about Ob gutter stomping them was highly enjoyable. Gideon is the only enjoyable one of the lot.
Nissa will forever be Elf Hitler despite WotC trying to sweep it under the rug because it was the only interesting thing she ever did.
Jace is the dull everybody that's just sort of there, but solves all the problems and exists in his blandness for players to imprint on.
Chandra is much the same, but is the walking stereotype of "less talk, more fire XD" loose canon. She is quickly moving into Jace territory though,

>Why did WotC choose the most boring motherfuckers in the multiverse to be the new faces of Magic?

Wait, these fucks are more than cover art on booster packs?
WotC could use pic related as thier new face of magic and the story would have the same impact.

Magic should never have had a face

I like Nissa.
I like her more as a racist

Some people like the story.

Lili is likely going to join. She's not "basically a flat-out villain"

It's almost always had a face

>She's not "basically a flat-out villain"
yes she is

Between liliana, ob and sorin, the vamp's the least evil motherfucker because he's stopped giving a shit a long time ago.

The current theory has to do with Nissa, who used to basically was elf hitler.
They removed a lot of the xenophobia for Nissa and in doing so they ended up removing a lot of her character.

Sarkhan's story line on Tarkir was more interesting than what is happening currently. I like Innistrad, probably one of the most interesting settings for me personally, I'm not a fan of them inserting the Eldrazi into it. There are plenty of catastrophic horrors that you could unleash and stay with in the flavor of the plane.

I won't claim I have the answer to fix this current trend in magic's lore, hell I think there is a decent chance in a year none of this will even be a problem. I personally find the Eldrazi pretty boring villians, so I might be bias.

You act like these are characters that wizards are JUST NOW creating for the express purpose of including in Gatewatch, instead of taking a bunch of bland characters already established in the setting and giving them something to do that actually matters.

Oh yeah she used to be way better. That's why I said I only disliked her new form. That said, if they explained how she learned to not be Hitler after the Eldrazi forced everyone to get along, that would be way better

>Sorin after this block:
m.youtube.com/watch?v=YHjdTZ-myCU
m.youtube.com/watch?v=4zLfCnGVeL4

I hope we go back to Tarkir and have Chandra learn how to be less boring from Narset, giving Red back to Jeskai and learning restraint in the process.

Lili is probably going to join because Jace and her already have an established character dynamic, and he wants to help her with the Chain Veil. Which I am fine with, because their interactions in the lore are really enjoyable to read.

Liliana doesn't really care about saving the multiverse, but she has a BUNCH of problems she is in dire need of help with, problems that the Gatewatch would make easier. She is still a pretty huge bitch, but most of the heinous shit she does is for the sake of the power she needs in order to get herself out of the hole she dug.

She won't ever be a nice person, but once she no longer is indebted to demons I suspect she would chill the fuck out.

Even if she doesn't join the Gatewatch officially, I expect she will be one of those recurring characters that hang around the wings.

>"Brother, I will join the Gatewatch and avenge you!"

Yeah, Narset and Anafenza were pretty all right characters too. I should pick up a few booster boxes from the Tarkir block to draft with in a few years, man I forgot how much I enjoyed that block.

>you know, minus siege rhino

She learned to be not Hitler because being Hitler lead to evil powerful gods destroying her homeworld, and being not-Hitler saved it.
It's not even complicated.

Ob Nixilis literally just wants to wreck shit. Lili is callous, but she doesn't actually go around killing people just to get her jollies or anything.

Lili is my favourite character, honestly. Eldritch Moon's trailer gives me chills. "Ugh, you people are pathetic. Fine, let me show you how to handle this shit".

>Read the Em Rising story
>Jacetice League shows up at the end
I swear to Jesus if we get another Chandra, Nissa, or Gideon I'm going to flip shit.

We're definitely getting another Lili and hopefully getting a new Tamiyo. We just got Gideon, Nissa, and Chandra, and Chandra is almost certainly getting a new card in Kaladesh.

Don't worry.

She did in M15

Its good. They are keeping the bad arc into a encapsulated environment. They could keep this arc in Standard and print supplementary products with history of the good chars.

The sad thing is garruk will never get a chance now because of this shit

Garruk had plenty of chances. His character isn't interesting enough to be the focus of anything without overhauls

I agree, but who cares it's still a fun game, (even though; I only drafted once because fuck that set).

Narset is even worse than she is

>Jace is the dull everybody that's just sort of there, but solves all the problems and exists in his blandness for players to imprint on.
>Solves all the problems
He did basically nothing useful in all of SoI and basically spent several months bumbling around, going insane, and finding out answers to things Tamiyo already knew. He was also pretty close to useless in BfZ. Jace is a useless fuckup that Wizards keeps pushing for some reason.

Give it time. WotC themselves admitted at the start of this that these characters weren't fluffed enough. We'll see them evolve in the following sets, much like a good D&D party starting with simple characters and expanding on their personalities together.

>New Nissa
Yarp. I can understand having some second thoughts is important after dooming the multiverse, but they made the jump with no real trauma.

Oh, that said, she did relapse at the beginning of OGW. Worth the read, she pretty much goes batshit.

They chose to do that with Nissa so you can't say they gave him a real chance

I like Garruk better as a magical Jason Vorheese honestly.

Could someone please Photoshop the planeswalkers mentioned here? Id like to see how much cooler they'd be beside this group

Yeah, it's a shame because the Hollywood jews told them they weren't getting a movie unless they had recognizable characters to make merchandise of, and if you don't have a movie you don't matter despite how much a bad movie may harm your IP, we'll never get a set without gatewatch characters again.

Koth was fighting the last stand of Mirrodin? Lol no, Gideon and Jace will save the day.
Dack was rescuing Elspeth from the underworld while Ajani led civil war vs the gods? Ha no, Liliana ressurrects Elspeth while Jace lets everyone know the truth about the gods with his telepathy now.
Sarkhan has to rebalance Tarkir after the dragonstorm goes bananas? It's lucky he has Nissa and Jace to help him out!
Teysa who? Niv what? Guilds? No son, everyone knows Ravnica is all about Jace the living Guildpact and his multicolored friends teaching everyone to live in peace.

Why is Terese Nielsen art so wonderful

tldr?

Planeswalkers as protagonists, neowalkers, and the need to have a running narrative between planes, was a storytelling mistake as a whole.

Jace is a good viewpoint character, that's about it. He's got some neat stuff in his own books, but mostly for the actual blocks he's just "Generic Wizard" compared to FIREBALLS and shit.

People like Veeky Forums just get whiny because he's statistically the most popular character. Because he's so generic. He's got the same appeal as Neo.

>Jews
Holy shit shut the fuck up.

Magic.

How fucking new are you.

>How fucking new are you.
That's a strange way to spell old. I got suspicious with the plot when they did all those sets based on the weatherlight in the name of set-to-set continuity, but when they undermined the most interresting thing about their multiverse setting (its unique and alien take on gods I.E. planeswalkers) so they could give relatable color-coded continuous avatars to the colors, I completely gave up on the fiction. Then they made something completely unrelated to Phyrexia, and called it phyrexia, which actually made me mad.

New Phyrexia is amazing. Stop being salty. If you stopped caring before Weatherlight, then you didn't even like the game when it HAD a real story. Even before then, the Planeswalkers were meant to be relatable characters that people could care about.

I will cede almost everything you said, though there was something to be said for sets that were just sort of exploring a new setting/plane together without a hard continuous meta, However I very much disagree with
>Even before then, the Planeswalkers were meant to be relatable characters that people could care about.
No, planeswalkers as relatable avatars did not come about until the mid-late 200X's. Granted they tried to pretend like it was the case the whole time and revise the history of their fluff,

>But user, the rulebook and back of the deck says you're a planeswalker

and it didn't used to, it used to say you're a powerful wizard. It was very explicitely a wizard battle.

>But user, that's what a Planeswalker is: a powerful wizard with the power to shift traverse planes, and even alpha promotional material talks about forcing your opponent to flee the plane.

Before the time-spiral-retcon-shockwave, what made planeswalkers special wasn't that they could traverse planes at all, but that they could traverse planes with but a thought, and lived forever. This is rather explicitly explained when they talked about how planeswalkers changed, because now it took them a ritual to traverse planes, and non planeswalkers were specifically barred from traversing planes at all. Here's a 90's promo of non-planeswalkers traversing planes

youtube.com/watch?v=pwIPwi_FSVc

MTG used to be wizard battle in a universe where instead of gods, they had unknowable alien minds that were once mortal, but had long since lost their mortality due to eternity and an interdimensional outlook, and now they neutered the concept of planeswalkers for set-to-set insert-self avatars. I happen to like the old way, but I know I'm in the minority, just don't tell me the old way was never true.

I dunno, maybe if all this Eldrazi shit and Innistrad problems are finally wrapped up, Sorin can go back to being the monoblack wandering cannibal hedonist his backstory once portrayed him as.

>made intresting storys about planeswalkers having their own adventures in planes by themselves

>criticized for having a loose story with characters off in bum fuck who knows what plane and planeswalkers no one cares about

>trys to bring a sort of unity to the magic the gathering story by bring the figure heads of the 5 colors togeather, making other planeswalkers side characters instead of the focus

>fucking jace and the wonderfriends are bad and boring i miss when magic lore was good like when we were on Innistrad

>Brings back zendikar and Innistrad to make intresting story about the eldrazi returning

>Hurhur noodle monsters and wonderfriends ruining muh magic lore

Im curious why they even try to please fags like you anymore.

Because boring is safe.
And having two exceedingly strong female characters along with a nerdy wimp and a selfless heroic type gets them mundo credit with people who only care about quotas.

>muh Hollywood isn't all jews.
I could maybe concede that banking isn't all jews, that news isn't all jews, however unlikely. But Hollywood definately is all jews.

Also go back to tumblr.

They don't, they're actively trying to piss off enfranchised Vorthos because people speak more about your product when they complain than when they enjoy it.
An advice from Marvel editorial of all places.

Are you retarded?

Since it probably going to happen...

Gatewatch the forbidden one WUBRG
Legendary Enchantment.
At the begininng of your upkeepIf you control a Jace planeswalker, a Gideon planeswalker, a Chandra planeswalker, a Liliana planeswalker, and a Nissa planeswalker, you win the game.