What are some not entirely useful enchantments I can bestow upon my players...

What are some not entirely useful enchantments I can bestow upon my players? Ones like "it absorbs light" or "cold to the touch." I want to throw some magic-influenced items at them, but I don't want all of the effects to be based around stat changes.

Please ignore Kimbo, this isn't the image I was going for.

>"it absorbs light"

So, it's painted black?

Bedroll of comfy.

The item whispers. If one listens, they may make out something intelligible. Turns out it's reading some of the underlying subconscious thoughts of the people around it, the listener included. The user has no control over what he hears.

This information is only as useful as the GM's declaration allows.

It projects controllable shadow puppets onto a wall.

Make an item that glows in the dark, don't mention this until it comes up.

It's black, and everything near it turns a shade closer to black.

It's flamingo-tier electric pink. Everything around it grows duller and less noteworthy than this FABULOUS object.

A pot/pan that makes food taste interesting. Not good or better.

A staff that blooms once per day. The flowers are mundane.

A shovel with a really good grip, enchanted to never need to adjust for sweat or rain. He blade still gets dull.

"Mirror of truth." This mirror doesn't reflect low-level illusions. Could be useful, if somewhat awkward to use. Every mirror works like this.

"Coroner's Tophat." A hat that allows you to immediately know the cause of death of any corpse you examine, so long as the cause is fairly obvious.

"Mask of disguise." Allows you to hide your identity as long as you wear it, but the power fades as soon as you remove it (pic related).

It produces music when swung.

The music gets louder as it does more damage.

Put it on a battleaxe.

>it absorbs light
Or a sword or other weapon that reflects spectacularly well. Maybe not as much as a mirror, but still enough that you can make out your own face without terrible distortion.

Weapon where any wound inflicted by it will itch and be fairly uncomfortable, though it's DM's discretion whether that has any practical affect. Alternatively, one where every attack makes a permanent scar.

Article of clothing that, no matter how long it's left on, will still allow the skin underneath to tan so you don't get a farmer's tan. Or one that removes all stains on its own 3 hours after the stain happens.

A cup or similar liquid container that can not be emptied in a single pour. If it has 8 fluid ounces of water, you pour out 8 fluid ounces, it will have 1 fluid ounce in when you set it upright. That amount can be poured out and there will be nothing left over.

Backpack where the contents of identically sized pockets will swap around randomly as long as they're both closed. Very little practical effect, but a particularly creative character might come up with something.

Wooden staff where the particular form of the wood, knots and such, change every day. It's never a major change, it just shifts.

Ring that makes the hand it's worn on easily able to be cleaned, able to remove grease and oil perfectly with just a piece of dry cloth or a little water.

>every attack makes a permanent scar.
Er, by this I mean even when any wound dealt by it heals, a scar will always be left behind, no matter how shallow or superficial the wound.

That would be actually godly for a bard.

The enchantment on that wooden staff is pretty neat
10/10 would quest over

>Orb of Slope Detection

The 5e DMG has a lot of minor properties you can give to items to add some flavor, some positive ones include

>half normal weight, feels hollow
>glows dim light in moonlight
> find the item repulsive
>user knows which way is north
>user knows how far underground they are
>glows when within 120 feet of a certain creature
>user can throw their voice
>glamour shit
>don't give a fuck about the cold

I think a good, simple source is to consider what sort of mundane items adventurers require and then you can add that to a magic item, and essentially you give them the almighty boons of not needing to wear heavy clothes in cold weather or not needing to carry a compass or whatever else you can think of.

A dagger that has the shadow of a sword.

A pair of magical gloves that constantly desires to be worn, and will try to fit on the adventure's hands when they're not looking.

Boots that allow you to teleport, but only one inch forward at a time.

A waterskin that magically makes water tasteless.

Do the teleport boots have infinite charge and no cooldown or anything? That could be super handy if you got really detailed.

Oh hell yeah. Skald will appreciate of this.

we llllplllll

A cornucopia that can produce food only when no one particularly needs it.

A spoon that moderately chills or heats liquids.

A self-rolling bedroll.

A quiver that mentally informs the wearer of its remaining contents whenever an arrow is retrieved.

An inkbottle that never runs out of ink, but cannot dispense said ink except to quills.

Chalk that glows with a soft, weak light corresponding to its color.

Rope that can be commanded to tie itself into a wide variety of knots.

user, you just posted a picture of Clark Kent. Did your pic get mixed up somewhere?

Boots that levitate you half a cm off the ground.

Quil of infinite ink.
Skull of skeleton distraction.
Cape of graceful falling
Coin of heads and tails

A bottomless beer stein.

It literally doesn't have a bottom, but it holds liquid just fine. It doesn't hold any more liquid than a normal stein of its size.

The inkbottle and the rope sound rad.

Glowing arrows for easy retrieval in night fights
Helmet with a completely closed off face-plate that is see-through from the inside
Torches that get brighter the larger the room you are in
Torches that get brighter when you are in danger (not necessarily a good thing, obviously)
Accurate mood-rings
A box that when currency is inserted, can provide different coins of equal value. Can also be used to produce foreign currency at the going exchange rate

>a completely closed off face-plate that is see-through from the inside
That's fucking badass for any crusader type, or for a mask for any villain.

An eye patch that makes the wearer invisible but not itself.

my friend has "the stick of everything"
it looks like the best most amazing weapon ever for any class, from whips, swords, axes, books, you name it, it is it.
does d4, improvised weapon damage as it's literally a stick
costs 1-3k GP

>boots that teleport only one inch forward at a time
>I use my reaction to "blink" and dodge a hit
that's too OP man

UNDERRATED POST

Dog-Hair Flask: When this hip-flask is empty or nearly so, and the bearer completes at least six hours of rest, this flask is refilled to contain approximately one solid gulp of the last non-magical inexpensive alcoholic beverage to fill it.

>Boots that allow you to teleport, but only one inch forward at a time.
okay, I move forward an inch every femtosecond

'Ring of Cat's Grace': Wearer always lands on their feet. Does not negate fall damage.

More like 'Ring of Shattered Ankles.'

Astral Teleporter of Material

it automatically teleports all gold,silver, copper objects that fit inside its mouth to a demiplane guarded by enslaved astral dreadnoughts. it then ejects a proof of purchase that is redeemable for a measure of wealth equal to the amount deposited, with a blank to be filled in to define the form of wealth you want to withdraw. the amount you can withdraw is dependent on whether or not the demiplane has that object currently stored. attempting to put material with little to no value causes it to be spit out at high speed. for 1d6 for every 5 kilos, attempting to put in counterfeits will inform all kingdoms currently registered with the demiplanes management, you will then have a 1-in-4 chance of summoning, and possibly being arrested by, enslaved astral dreadnoughts every time you attempt to use the astral plane, ethereal plane, teleporter circle, or a dimensional gate

comes in deposit model:
cheapest, it is simply a 1-way whole with a paper roll attached. disintigrates after a certain amount of time has passed, and you must purchase another one

teller model:
allows to both withdraw and deposit, and 1/day: request a loan, the bag acts like a 2-way radio with an available banker to discuss the terms of the loan, for a small fee, the contract can be printed on the same day. violating the terms of the loan will send astral dreadnought debt collectors. purposefully welching on the payment will send an astral dreadnought kill squad

Belt of quantum tunneling.
Allows you to pass through objects provided you hit them with enough force (more force for thicker objects). Both the object and the wearer suffer the damage they would have suffered if the wearer was not wearing the belt.
Up to the DM how dangerous passing through objects is.

Shield of infinite rigidity.
Practically unbreakable shield, but user receives damage through it as the shield transfers the impact of the strike (great vs bladed weapons, bone shatteringly bad vs heavy blunt weapons).

Exsanguinator.
Weapon that absorbs blood that touches it. Lodge it into a target and they'll bleed out very quickly.

An object turns invisible in pitch-black darkness

A small, tin canister that can contain a backpacks worth of food by itself, and keep it fresh

A solid iron slab, the size of a person's palm. Holding onto it ensures the owner won't stumble or trip while they travel

A simple wooden chair. It has the curious ability to stick to any surface all four of it's legs are placed on, and anything placed on the seat will not fall off.

A copper or wood ring wrapped in fur. It provides various enchantments depending on how it's worn. If hung on your head (either tied into your hair, or tied to a head garment) it prevents debris from getting into your eyes. If worn on your torso in some way, it will allow meals and drink to sustain it's owner longer. If worn from the belt, on the legs, or on your feet, it will persuade wild beasts from getting close to you.

Several wooden beads, tied together with a length of red string, crafted by clerics and monks. Each of the beads has a tiny name carved into it, the names are never the same, usually names important to the person who created it. Holding the entire length of beads is a charm of good travels and well wishes, ensuring the owner will find smooth passage while traveling, whether it's a chance at good weather, smooth trails, less chances at being attacked by enemies or animals, or even just meeting other kind travelers. You may also cut the beads off, and if you tie the string again around the single bead to keep it on the string, and give it to someone before parting ways, you and that person will meet once again in good health.

>user receives damage through it as the shield transfers the impact of the strike (great vs bladed weapons
How is it great against bladed weapons if you get your arm cut off with each hit?

>Live underground
>Have darksight
>Best dwarf assassin ever

I don't think it would transfer the actual act of cutting, just the impact of the blade on the shield.

>bedroll of comfy
Allows you to complete a short or long rest no matter the environment. This also means that you won't wake up if people are moving around your camp and stealing shit. If a friend force-wake you mid-rest, you get an exhaustion point

cursed ring of theme music

appropiate theme music no matter what.

no it don't care if the sneaking music is counter productive it's thematic.

I like the idea of absorbing light.

How about a dagger that absorbs light when drawn granting the user alone Dark vision. Could be handy for RP scenarios. Could maybe balance it with with duration/raidus, extreme sensitivity to light once it's re-sheathed and maybe permanent effects like accuracy penalties after multiple uses and the fact that it also cripples the rest of the party.

Maybe a magic ring with strong magnetism on command, allows the user to always find north, minor bonus to strength and reduction to dex.(May cause magical cancer).

A pair of metal gauntlets. When both gauntlets touch the same object it releases a jolt of electricity capable of stunning mid level creatures and at best distracting larger beasts. Only one of these can be worn, wearing both causes death by electrocution .

A jar containing the magically preserved cock of the greediest dwarf lord. Becomes erect in the presence of nearby treasures, shrivels up when the user is being ripped off.

So Gorehowl?

It probably should have said great for quick slashes and amazing for stabs but not so great for hefty cleaving and chopping weapons like great swords or battle axes.

I've read that as "pic retarded" for some reason

Hell, I'd allow this in a non cursed form. Bystanders never find it atrange that there's music playing, and the ring doesn't interfere with sneak checks.

How about another power: taking 20 takes a fifth of the normal time when this ring is worn, due to a "training montage" that compresses time.

Okay this makes more sense. Keep in mind though that one can swing a sword just as forcefully as a greataxe.

I love these threads.

An amulet that makes the wearer look like they are in a shadow when in daylight, and in darkness they shimmer a dim light.