/cofd/&/wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General

>Previous Thread:

>Pastebin:
pastebin.com/7sSgGVPH

mediafire.com/download/n7htcqyqk0y0acy/[WtF]The_Pack.PDF

mediafire.com/download/a1kpjrm41yzozkq/V20_Ghouls_&_Revenants.pdf

>Latest News
The Kickstarter for Beckett's Jyhad Diary is live!
theonyxpath.com/the-deluxe-becketts-jyhad-diary-kickstarter-is-now-live/
This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
theonyxpath.com/hacky-coughy-edition-monday-meeting-notes/

>Question
Can you guys not shit up the thread like last time?

Other urls found in this thread:

theonyxpath.com/beckett-is-live-or-something-like-that-because-he-is-a-vampire-monday-meeting-notes/
forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/main-forum/the-new-world-of-darkness/806809-curios-relics-and-tomes
vindae.tumblr.com/post/11116798525/a-list-of-curious-objects
thefinalcrossroads.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=S2yNZbA3JEk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You're right. Let's start off with a nice, neutral topic. Why is Dirty Secrets of the Black Hand the best book to come out of either WoD or CofD?

i prefer the new version for v20.

those familiar mages are where its at.

Can an oWoD vampire become host to a Bane?

[Insert Jokes about Brujah Formori here]

yes. although most banes cant actually control a vampire they are in. there are i believe 2-3 types of banes that specifically can go into vamps and take over. they've got stats somewhere.

I kind of do want to do a WoD dating sim, but I know it would be too time consuming and I'd flake out. I still haven't gotten up the courage to send my submission in. I believe in my ability to write a submission more than my ability to write an email.

Send the submission out. They straight up give you a format with which to send the e-mail. Just follow that and you're fine. Finish what you start.

Yeah, but it's the part about selling myself. I don't have anything that unique about me. "I'm totes a tranny" isn't really the same as "I'm a woman with Italian-American heritage who knows quite a lot about Italy and writes alt-history fiction".
Admittedly I also worry my reputation will proceed me, but then again ArcaneArts has a job.

Oh for the love of...just submit the damn thing!

Literally everyone has some kind of experience worth writing about, just write whatever comes to mind. You live in some part of a country rich with history, you've spent time as part of some kind of financial class, whatever. Put it down. Put it down and send the thing. The worst they can do is not give you a call-back. It's a submission, not a judgement of you as a person. It's not the end of the world if you don't get to write for Hunter. What's important is that you at least try.

And in the event someone bites, no one gives a fuck about your stupid reputation as long as you can:

1. Write words.
2. Write words fast and to a decent quality and size.
3. Listen to dev redlines and use them to write words better.

ArcaneArts gets to write things because he can make deadlines and listens to his client. He is capable of putting dumb forums bullshit behind him when it's time to actually do work. If you consider yourself a better writer than ArcaneArts, I assume you are also capable of this.

But what they explicitly want is people with diverse character traits. In a tiebreak I will always lose, and this shit is always a tie.

>ArcaneArts has a job
You'll do fine.

You have no way of knowing that unless you actually do it, and even then you're still in the pool for potential writers. Fucking submit your shit, or stop talking about wanting to submit your shit. It's that simple.

This is far too much inner fucking turmoil for a gig that (if Rich Thomas wasn't drunk when he wrote that comment in the Changeling the Dreaming Open Call) pays 1 cent a word minimum. There is no loss or fail state out of this. Just write the e-mail and send it.

That wasn't actually me. My problem isn't about "I don't have diverse traits so I shouldn't try", it's more the "how do I make my resume look good without outright lying" problem.

>pays 1 cent a word minimum.
Holy Jesus, they better give Devs the book for free.

It's better to be honest than to needlessly puff up your resume. You've never published anything before, that's fine. There's a reason they're looking for new blood. Just be straight with them, talk about what you have to offer (and everyone has something to offer), and let your submission do the rest of the talking.

When does a Malkavian stop a Prank that has gone off in the wrong direction? Especially if it has gone from "Hidden Camera" to a Sam Pepper-style "Social Experiment"?

If Camarilla, as soon as it stops being funny. If Sabbat, never because it will always be funny.

The kind of Malk that does so fannay pranks is the kind of Malk that shouldn't be played

Is it possible the have a mage that use a blob of animated liquid metal for attack and protection?

And how is that 2E? Did the fix the ridiculous OPness of 1E mages?

Yes.
If anything easier.
2e Mages >>> 1e Mages.

Mages are less "OP", but they're still going to be Mages.

The problem is that, staying with the "Hidden Camera" analogy, the pranked went away grumbling seconds before the presenter would have pointed out the camera and is now plotting against the actor who actually did the interactions...

The balance is kind of weird if you compare.

Some of the most bullshit silliness of 1e has been removed (near infinite success Rituals) and starting mages have more trouble casting spells on unwilling targets. Masters on the other hand rock even harder (but it is also harder to become one).

Paradox has more bite.

Mechanic question for Mage.

It costs a reach to change the primary spell factor, and the default potency of a spell is the number of dots you have in an arcana. Each point of potency heals two points of bashing damage.

Say a master of life spends reach to convert a spell that heals bashing damage from primary factor potency to primary factor duration. And then spends an additional reach to make it last for a scene. By default the spell will heal 10 bashing damage in a turn. Does this mean that the spell will now heal 10 bashing damage every turn for the duration of the scene or does the spell last until it's healed 10 points of bashing damage and then end?

If you change Primary Factor with Reach, the original Primary Factor is back to 1 (though technically the factors aren't ranked, so it's "one step up the chart"). You get default Primary Factor, not simply Default Potency. That's *why* spells have a Primary Factor in the first place. If something says the Primary Factor is Duration, you get [Arcanum] steps of Duration.

If you increase a spell to Advanced Duration that would have an immediate or single effect, it repeats the effect every interval of your Gnosis based casting time. At Gnosis 5, that means twice in an hour. But since you're changing Primary Factor, you'd only be healing 2 Bashing.

Thank you. I got another question about withstand.

If a spell can be withstood does that mean the appropriate resistance is subtracted from the number of success dice like it is with defense?

what practice of life do i need to make a dickgirl

Probably Life 4

No, it's subtracted from the final total.

So stuff like Degrading the Form, where the Primary Factor is Duration, *requires* you to add Potency through Spell Factors. If someone has Stamina 3, you'll need to take -6 in Spell Factor penalties just to have your spell treated as Potency 1.

Mutable Mask allows you to change physical features as a Veiling spell, though it's treated as being only a 'mask', not an actual real change. Many Faces (a Weaving spell) provides real changes that aren't illusory. So Weaving is what you'll want if you want someone who's, to quote Many Faces "entirely physical and functional" (which includes fertility).

The Primary Factor is Duration, but you won't need but one Potency to give a willing woman a dick. Depending on how the ST rules (there's no mention of Potency) it might require a little more to change a male, but I'm sure you'll be fine.
The main problem is that unless you *only* want it for sexy times--which is fine, but let's be honest, dicks are fun and useful--you'll want to Reach, and even then that's only a Week. I don't know why it bothers me in this fictional game but I always groan and sigh when it comes to "you have to re-up your power in X time units" stuff. Not like there isn't plenty of that in real life. Eating meals, taking showers, taking medication, etcetera. But "routine" stuff is always so boring to me, even if I don't personally have to sit through it.

Although unless you have Gnosis 5, performing a ritual to change your gender (or boost your stats, or whatever) is a lot more time consuming than taking a shower.

Totally worth it though.

Which pitfalls should i watch out for if i wanted to make a young character and wanna avoid being an annoying burden on the group? The concept of a gangrel neonate recently embraced and at a rather young age keeps coming back to me. Very enthusiastic about being a scary monster that goes bump in the night, but fails entirely at being scary, knows nothing about vampire society and is generally pretty naive. Habbit of being a bratty little shit, but likely to look up to older group members and place a lot of stock in their opinions. Just worried a character like that might be annoying.

>knows nothing about vampire society
Anything but this
You can either be young or ignorant, not both

How young is young? If you are under 12, watch out for having a bad memory of how kids at that age act. Kids in media are typically either hyper competent, or incompetent. In reality, kids know what they know, don't always act on it (even if you know X is wrong, you think you can get away with it), and are completely ignorant of stuff outside of what they do know.

If you are just like 14-17, I don't know if it is worth worrying about. You'll probably listen to too much Taylor Swift, but otherwise you are a normal human who is too worried about romance and belonging with no idea how to make either work.

I just wanna pinch your cheeks.
Although, what said. I think "randomly embraced by this one vampire who I never met again" is a bit overdone, and should only be used with characters who are new to the system and setting so that they can learn it as their character does. Most of the time you'll at least have been a Ghoul for a while.

No such thing as too much Taylor Swift.

But user, that's clearly one and done, not a ritual that needs to be repeated!
Man, I could never go through with transitioning. I'd have trouble taking a pill, which is far, far less time consuming than a three hour ritual. It's like that Richard Hammond clip about malaria pills and birth control.

Noted on the young+ignorant part, my main idea was being new to the WoD and likely to believe most of what she's told, partially also because all my own WoD knowledge comes through vtmb and reading through character creation and such at a friend's place. Mainly, being

>cheek pinching
that was what i was going for, thinking of dumping composure in favor of manipulation, to emphasize easily buckling under pressure and mostly getting her way by appealing to parental instincts, whether on purpose or not. One less serious idea, was in case of OWoD, having the first trait to manifest from frenzy to be wolf ears or something, futher ruining any ability to be scary.

>X wants to be hardcore but Y won't let her

>believe most of what she's told
You might think that's merely an inconvenience for you, but honestly it's also going to fuck with the rest of the group, in that they're going to have to mitigate all your fuckups.

Or they won't care, and you'll be miserable as everyone and their mother will be messing with you.

Monday Meeting Notes when

Not them, but it doesn't seem like they'll have to mitigate much, especially if they're training her. In fact, that could be a good reason for her to be part of the coterie, she's being trained.

Quick! I need supernatural artifacts to throw at my Hunter group.

clay tablets recovered from south america (or, clay tablets in south america that your hunters are sent to retrieve).

those deciphering them go insane, not like lovecraftian horrific knowledge, but more like infected 28 days later RAGE insane.

preface- strange crimes and assaults in a metropolitan museum district - missing museum staff

or

humanitarian mission to the amazon basin runs afoul of strange jungle flu that causes hysteria (super rabies?), old tribal legends, etc. you can even insert the jungle adventure into the ongoing urban chronicle with a flashback oneshot using pregenerated characters if you know your players well enough - or else have different hunter compacts handling different sides of the problem

Lets have some not totally evil items then.

A goblet that makes everyone who drinks from it think they have a divine right to rule. It grants an additional vice and restores all willpower on killing in the name of building your kingdom. Obviously an elementary school teacher has it.

A 4 ton contraption that functions as a camera(big and heavy so players don't run off with it, also can hide a special surprise). It takes pictures of the "future". Unfortunately the future is turned into what ever it shows. This wouldn't be so bad, if the damn thing wasn't powered by all those dead children. Oh well, "in the name of science" and all that. Everyone say cheese.

A religious pamphlet that are handed out by insanely elderly men(like so old the guys in the old folks home remember when they were a kid and these guys were still old as hell). The old men give the pamphlets out to the homeless and those in need, usually with a wad off cash. The pamphlets read like a car add, never actually telling you what you will get by joining said religion, but insisting it is a good thing(has celebrity sponsorships!). After being read those who took the gift are stalked by small goat men with clip boards who run this religion and want nothing more then to force their victims to preform 'miracles' on their behalf in an attempt to steal favor from the other more popular religions. Unfortunately for everyone, the goat men are incompetent, don't understand human morals/motivations and are immortal. Worse, they make all their devotes immortal and wise. Immortal means even if your body dies you are still around and wise means you are old as hell. However if you pass out 100 pamphlets you might be allowed to go to 'heaven'. Obviously the players are told 'its a cult'.

theonyxpath.com/beckett-is-live-or-something-like-that-because-he-is-a-vampire-monday-meeting-notes/

Looks like there's a new Onyx Path job position up.

Whatever happened to Hurt Locker? It's been a few months since I've seen anything about that.

Any good pbp games? And not The Final Cuckroads that game is retarded

Nope. Gotta make your own.

>The Final Cuckroads

No idea what you are talking about.

I'm not linking to it because he's been spamming it every time I ask about pbp games. But it's just a really bad pbp game

forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/main-forum/the-new-world-of-darkness/806809-curios-relics-and-tomes

These items are all well made, balanced, and each have a small plot hook to go with them.
I myself plan to use these for for my demon, hunter, mage games.

I was told there's "Decent" rules for generating normal animals in changing breeds for CoFD, what page would this be on? I truly do not wanna look through the entire book for this.

vindae.tumblr.com/post/11116798525/a-list-of-curious-objects

Yea but its notably difficult for it to happen or not go by unnoticed. Also they only can only be possessed by a bane durring a frenzy if I recall

Guy who keeps trying to create a living world communally STed playbypost but has only like eight players.

No such thing.

What? Do you mean the book "Changing Breeds" from 1e nWoD?
You shouldn't really need to look through the whole book, just look at the Introduction. They tell you what's in which chapter. Changing Breeds doesn't have good mechanics, though. You making up new shifters with its guidelines won't really do much.

Looks like some really neat stuff. Thanks.

I'm not sure I want to work a camera that takes pictures of the future into my current game, but it's a damn cool idea. I'll have to find a chance to use it at some point.

The thing is, I don't need shifters. I need NORMAL animals.

>Guy who keeps trying to create a living world communally STed playbypost but has only like eight players.

I'm the guy who runs it. To say we have like eight players is generous, assuming of course player count is how you measure quality. I'm looking to have between five and ten right now, because I don't want to administrate more than that at the moment.

Currently we have three, myself included, so we're tiny. Naturally, I'm looking for players and ST's alike. If you're interested, the URL is thefinalcrossroads.com/

Sorry, I forgot. We have four, but one of them is so quiet I forgot about him and only posts IC stuff.

Oh. Honestly you shouldn't really have trouble making that yourself. There's a CofD animal stat list that Rose put up on a blog, but I can never find it when I need it. I don't really know why you'd need them. It really shouldn't be that hard. Just use the corebook. Most of them won't really have Dread Powers or anything, but they're available if you need them.

But the problem is that no one really likes what you're doing. I've repeatedly explained that to you. You've been talking about this for like six months now, and it amounts to you making a thread and then bumping it yourself because no one wants to join.

Always glad to help someone.

So, my local gaming store is having a writing competition. We have to write about a tabletop game character (anything from 5ed to Maid RPG) in ether a TV or Animu series.

I chose a Mage (2nd ed Awakening) in Naruto. I'm having trouble keeping him alive, conceptually, because every time he does a thing he gets stabbed by those fucking vampire-esque cheaters.

>But the problem is that no one really likes what you're doing. I've repeatedly explained that to you. You've been talking about this for like six months now, and it amounts to you making a thread and then bumping it yourself because no one wants to join.

Whoah there, buddy. You can dial down the condescending tone because you're making an ass of yourself. That said, if you're not interested in joining my game, that's fine. To each his own.

Nobody cares. Kill yourself.

He's really not, your threads are eyesores.

The problem is that you've been repeatedly told "no one is really interested in this, please stop trying to force the issue".
I mean, I know I do similar, but at least a few people like what I've done. You're asking for people to help make your thing take off. You don't have any incentives, though. Generally you need to have people willing to join your thing BEFORE you start begging for new blood on forums.

The format you're trying also just really isn't conducive to anything people would typically want.

>yfw you realize you can just scroll past recruitment threads you're not interested in

Jesus fucking christ
When you have to keep bumping your own threads because nobody else is posting in them, that's usually a sign that nobody gives a shit, and you should stop trying.
You're getting NO support. You've been trying to recruit for half a year, and by your own admission you only have three people. Let me guess, all of them were part of the group before you started posting here, or joined from somewhere else, right?
Veeky Forums doesn't give a shit about your shitty game, get the fuck over it

He's got a point. I don't give a shit about his game but you're making a huge stink about how not interested you are and it's recently cringey.

New Monday Meeting Notes has art from it, so something is happening.

>Jesus fucking christ

Jesus fucking Christ is right. Why are you having a conniption over not wanting to play a game?

Why not just continuously do that luck spamming thing? It's not like it's a real game so exploit the fuck out of that system.

I really just told him to knock it off, that's it. He got salty that I did.

The issue is that you're annoying us. That's the problem. You're frustrating us by constantly posting about your game that no one is interested in. Please stop.

What?

Honestly it seems like everyone's problems would be solved if it just got turned into a MUSH. I don't think there's a CofD 2e MUSH yet.

>The issue is that you're annoying us. That's the problem. You're frustrating us by constantly posting about your game that no one is interested in. Please stop.

And I should give a shit that I'm annoying you because... why, again? I occasionally get someone off of Veeky Forums who is interested. Like the guy who is making this vampire dude who I didn't count yet. So these threads that you're REEEEEEEing about serve my purposes just fine.

What's this "us" crap, Aspel? Stop backseat modding. He's not gonna stop so just ignore him.

The idea is that the top, like, tw or whatever have to actually run a session of their idea, and whoever runs the 'best' session wins a box of stuff

sounded weird, but I wanted stuff. Which is why I need a decent reason why a Mage wouldn't get stabbed to death the second he crossed a Ninja.

You are striking me as a bit butthurt m8

How do you know this is Aspel?

Mages are a lot less dangerous in terms of the maximum level of bullshit they can accomplish, but assuming you are concerned with street level issues like someone snapcasting a nasty curse onto you or turning you into a chicken, rather than blowing up a planet, 2e Mages are a fair bit stronger.

Posting style, mostly. No one ever really changes them up so it's not hard to make educated guesses, even when they post anonymously. One of the benefits of my not-a-joke-or-hyperbole autism, I guess.

Lel, well, if that's the case, then Aspel is a confirmed turbocunt. Are you Touhoufag?

There actually are. I know TheReach was 2e where possible, though it closed down.

I still don't understand. What are the rules here. What is the contest. What are you writing?
Start from the beginning.

It is me, but I'm far from the only one. There's at least one other person. It's not "back seat modding" it's "seriously I don't want to hear about this shit".
Also I more or less said it was me earlier. It's not like it takes super detection to know who it is when I say "at least a few people like my shit"

Nothing. Malkavians being assholes who fuck everything up for everyone is an important part of the setting.

We can tell you're samefagging.

>There's at least one other person.
I've made one post in response to this guy, so there's at least 3 of us, total.

Oh no, I've been found out.

any of the fan games besides Genius worth looking at?

Interesting, so would the Bane have control over them when they next frenzied, or what?

>Only TWO of those were me!

Okay, look. Let's just >Can you guys not shit up the thread like last time?

So does anyone know whether we have enough ̶S̶a̶r̶d̶o̶n̶y̶x̶Storypath mechanics to do any homebrewing? I've been on an Eva kick lately, but Adeptus Evangelion is kind of a clunky system.

How much do you bend the rules? One of my players on the Crossroads is making a vampire who was a pharaoh and i decided he can have his heart in a jar because it's a cool idea.

I'm not sure if anything to that effect exists in 2e yet

>How much do you bend the rules?
Not at all.

Ouch. I only stick to the rules insofar that they're fun

>Image
Which Splat could best capture Pleasure Island?

Agreed. They gave us rules and everyone in my games will fucking well play them to the letter

Mage. They can use their magic to create beautiful luxury... for a price

Rules are rules are rules.

Break or bend them and your players will be uncertain about how the game is run.

Run the game strictly by the rules, and mitigate assholery through dialogue with players and in-universe responses, and they'll have a firm grip upon the underpinnings of the player/GM relationship.

So Abyssal entities don't cause Quiescence?
Trying to determine how important cover-up after a sudden Gulmoth attack should be.

It's literally a Durance.

Page 298, in bold:
>Sleepers witnessing an obvious manifestation of the Supernal or Abyssal always experience a breaking point against Integrity
On 300, also bolded:
>In the scene directly following exposure to the Supernal or Abyssal, a Sleeper forgets what she saw, or else changes how she remembers it toward the mundane.

>Can you guys not shit up the thread like last time?

Actually impossible.

Thanks man, don't have the book at hand.
So SOMETHING went down, but strangely nobody coherently remembers what it was.
Great, the PCs will want to cover it up quick as most other Mages would see it as a Mystery.

Have you ever had a Gerald in your games /wodg/?
youtube.com/watch?v=S2yNZbA3JEk

So. My group is really disappointed in Mage 2e.
On the upside, I might now convince them to try the Dresden Files RPG.