Is "merge two specific cards into one dude" executed well in any of the other TCGs? If so, how is it done in them?

Is "merge two specific cards into one dude" executed well in any of the other TCGs? If so, how is it done in them?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=p4wSIrcX30o
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hecatomb_(card_game)
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Duel Masters.

I'd say that makes M:tG doing it not that surprising, but they actually handle it completely differently.

What does duel masters do? You're not talking about evolutions, are you?

I was talking about God Link.

Cardfight does it as well as it does anything else. Once you and your opponent both hit level 3 (of 3) units, if you have the main card of a fusion out you can call up the other one from your deck or graveyard. Basically just acts as a power buff and some additional abilities

By overlaying cards on top of cards, sometimes to ridiculous degrees. Hell in yuigoh its also a win condition.

youtube.com/watch?v=p4wSIrcX30o

I fucking love utopia tower decks.

Yu-Gi-Oh has Polymerization cards. Pokemon has Legends cards. Meld looks like a decent execution in comparison, since each card is playable on its own, and you don't need to cram blank cards like Polymerization into your deck.

Pokemon did it too

So how do you actually play those in the game? Do they count as 2 or 1 pokemon?

As odd as its going to sound, the way meld works is the only way to do a fusion-esque mechanic that can function in a limited environment. I'm curious as to how it will turn out, but based on what has been reveled of the other meld cards they have enough synergy to get arounder major shortcomings. I hope it's not super prominent in the set though

>As odd as its going to sound, the way meld works is the only way to do a fusion-esque mechanic that can function in a limited environment.

There's only 3 pairs. One is a Mythic and a Rare, another is two Rares. You will never see any Limited melds other than Chittering Host unless you are very unlucky. So, in other words, if it's the only way to do it in Limited, the only way to do it is to not do it.

All of the extra deck monsters in yugioh are fusion effects

Legends are one sided. You need to have both halves in your hand to play them, and they count as one pokemon while in play. Also, each half is considered to have the same name, so you can only have two of each in your deck.

Despite all that, they're outclassed by modern EX cards, and even back then I don't think they were any good.

>As odd as its going to sound, the way meld works is the only way to do a fusion-esque mechanic that can function in a limited environment.

According to Maro on Blogatog, meld isn't meant for limited.

Most XYZ and Synchro cards don't require specific cards, which is what OP is asking.

Should have explained what I meant then for it working in limited then. If you do see the card it is still playable rather than the pokemon version which would be a dead card in limited without it's other half. The possibility of having a 14 card pack would be pretty bad for limited. And having to hunt down a fusion-type card would make it too easy to hate something out in limited, so having the main side be adequate enough and then having a check to meld allows for it to be a rather seemless fit for both limited and constructed without creating an usable mechanic in either

The ability to easily do things like this is why Hearthstone's the best in the business.

It's done in a number of TCGs, typically it has to be done carefully in regard to the meta as if removal is strong then they have to be very synergetic to compensate whereas if singular removal is weak (like direct damage and kill a minion with x or less stat are prevalent) then generally merging together makes a inherently tougher creature.

For magic, I would point to any current spells or creatures that ask you to sacrifice non-token creatures or lands, either as part of the cost or as the cost, and ask you how well they did.

Pokemon, Duel Masters, Cardfight, Buddyfight. Its not a new idea, and it always feels gimmicky.

New ygo fusions works much better than polymerization.
Either the fusion spell searches for parts of the fusion, or the creatures can fuse without the polymerization spell.

Hecatomb it was the whole point!
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hecatomb_(card_game)

>even back then I don't think they were any good.

Pic related was used as a finisher I believe, and so was Rayquaza/Deoxys from and that was it. Out of the 8 or so pairs, 2 or 3 at most were good

Pokemon Legends decks (the double cards) barely saw any play because the mechanic was one where the cost vs gain was too high, the amount of effort and resource you needed to sink into a lackluster pair was insane compared to decks that just opted to not take them and go for speedier more consistent cards.

Pokemon is for the most part a gimmick game, cards like the legends really have no intention behind their designs to be played, and when they do it's usually by accident, it's just something they throw in the sets to make collectors dicks hard.

I asked "which ones do it well and how do they do it well".