EDH/Commander general

"You lazy shits" edition

Old thread
RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/28-06-16-volrath/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/nin-wip-1/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/08-06-16-wall-tribal/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/23-06-16-BVv-omnath-edh/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kalemne-sitter-of-faces/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/i-aint-saying-she-is-a-gravedigger/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

> tfw no crucible of worlds

Somebody gib $70 plox.

Would you play Brawn or Archetype of Aggression if you only had a slot for one of them?

What deck is it ?

any other good or better creatures for b/r aggro? i want to build up tons of creatures that come in and hit fast

They should make it standard legal again someday. I doubt it would be any good without fetches and lands like tectonic edge

I was really disappointed that they didn't reprint it in eternal masters. I'm going to buy it eventually, I just need to buy the other 100 cards in my queue before I sirens $70 on one.

I am building yisan and was wondering if ya'll had any good win cons besides craterhoof?

At this point of his story I really wanted them to give him a name and make it legendary, specially since it would make for a nice wizard tribal general that isn't Azami combo

Damn yeah that would have made a cool commander. Maybe it could fit into a more fair Azami deck?

Think that new mana rock Ill put into my Rakdos lord of riots edh.

Baru, Fist of Krosa is basically a smaller Craterhoof you can get on Verse 5 if your opponents suck that much.

Somebody help me turn this casul shit upside down

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/28-06-16-volrath/

help

I know there's 102.

just sygg my shit up senpai

Pathbreaker Ibex?

So, I am running a dakkon blackblade voltron build.

I just picked up a hanna to put in the 99, should I anticipate getting shit for running dakkon over hanna as the commander?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/nin-wip-1/

Hey Veeky Forums, can you please give me some advice on my Nin control? I am still undecided about what wincons to put in, as well as if there are any deficiencies in composition and mana base.

I dont want it to be too tryhard and competitive but I do enjoy winning a lot and doing it more than once every other week would be nice.

I mean, you're running a Voltron commander and Hanna is anything but. Besides, Dakkon is cool.

Sounds pretty good, is it cheap

thanks man, Dakkon is was my favorite card as a kid, I seriously over paid for a mint legends Dakkon...I have spent way too much money on this deck, especially since I haven't even managed to finalize the list.

why is commander/EDH getting so popular? at my local LGS it seems like that there are more EDH players than standard or modern players, to the point where lots of those competitive players are getting angry that so many people play commander instead of those other formats

is it because the scene is inherently more casual? it's definitely not lower cost because of how expensive a good deck can cost even if its not trying to be super-competitive

I don't mind this phenomenon at all, as I've slowly become a dedicated EDH player, but it seems interesting that so many people are rejecting the competitive scenes or the "proper" way to play magic

Going to have trouble actually hitting anyone with Volrath. He doesn't fly, trample, or intimate. I only saw one or two cards in there that grant those sort of effects.

I'm from a modern back round, so my answer is coming from that perspective.

I could build a fun modern deck, doing stuff that I enjoyed all the time, but it ends up being t2-t3 any real netdeck will have a very good chance stomping all over the deck, great for kitchen table magic.

With EDH, everyone is somewhat on the same page with balance. You can build around a card you like and since there are other people at the table prioritizing threats you have a much greater chance to play a game like you intended.

Filth/Urborg
Chariot of Victory
Haunted Cloak
Nim deathmantle sometimes
Whispersilk

But yea, I think I do need more, possibly 3 more.

Because people who devote themselves to modern/standard are more often than not insufferable spikes, who are a chore to even talk to, let alone play with.

While you are right that EDH deck can cost a lot, it all depends and generally I found my decks to be around 350-600 dollars and be pretty good. Meanwhile, if I were to play modern or standard and win 600 is around the base amount I need.

There's nothing wrong with being "casual" - I miss the time when MtG was just a game for me. EDH along with Pauper help to recapture that feeling the best.

Oh and Shizo/Rogues Passage.

I feel that. I have pretty competitive decks but I love casual the most. One of the reasons I enjoy getting new people into the game is because it gives me the opportunity to make underpowered weaker decks that make games last a long time

MTG constructed would be so much more fun if you were limited to 2 copies of a card per deck for a rare and 1 of for a mythic. Consistency makes the game boring desu

QUICK

WHO2USE4STAX

Sen Triplets

HOKORI

Derevi or Oloro

immediately thought of my river guide deck when i saw thst card. flips on the turn casted and becomes a free wizard generator that gives all your dudes +2 flying. makes call to arms even more fun

unfortunately the spikes are starting to invade EDH, hence the stax meme and UG decks of all tutors

DID THE RULINGS ON MANA COLORS UN-BORK THEIR ABILITY
AW MAN HE LOOKS PRETTY COOL BUT MONO-WHITE IS ON THE WEAKER SIDE
FUCK THE C13 FACE COMMANDERS

Selvala. Pack in hatebears, Winter Orb, Static Orb, etc and make people writhe in pain.

I would say Gaddock Teeg if Selvala didnt exist, but Teeg presents two problems: 1) He doesnt generate value over time, and he doesnt give you an inherent advantage like Selvala; and 2) Teeg often times feels like he works 50% of the time. He does stop certain decks and certain spells, but big creatures are still a relevant answer to Teeg.

But by all means, use Teeg in the 99. He's great, just Selvala is more beneficial in the command zone imo.

Go GAAIV then. Or the Triplets, the rule change didn't boost them a lot but it maybe be fun.

>he doesn't intimate
Yes he does

>DID THE RULINGS ON MANA COLORS UN-BORK THEIR ABILITY
Yes, though they seem kinda expensive if you're dead set on stax.

Yeah, I noticed that. Luckily, my meta is pretty fun and casual, apart from that one guy who plays disgusting U/B stax that pretty much stops people playing magic and calls it "fun".

No combination of words make me grind my teeth more than "competitive EDH" I swear to fucking god

I also still need some help with my Nin pretty please, people:

>starting to invade
It's been going on for a while.

*coat of arms

goddammit!

The thing with Nin, the Pain Artist is that she is very mana reliant. Thats why you see either two builds of her: Artifact or Combo, or a mixture of the two. Your deck list seems alright but not a lot really complinents Nin since you can only have so much mana that you could use in a color combination that can't reliably ramp without artifact support (or Mana Geyser).

That said: consider Keranos at the helm. He's nothing but value, compliments well with certain cards you already have like Willbreaker and Dominus. Heck: you can even run Nin in the 99 with no problem.

Also: Dismiss into Dream is a hilarious card. It sets the stage for people to get political with each other.

toss in the other niv mizzet. both on the field create an infinite combo

Also keranos for consistent value and a good target for nim since her ability essentially becomes URX: draw X cards

that one UR chimera from theros would also be pretty good

Spellheart chimera?

bingo

Daretti, obviously.
Otherwise pw teferi turbostax, both are competitive in French by the very least.
Teferi -1 on 4 Mana rocks is disgusting, especially on t4 with stasis

That's pretty nice advice. I think I will stick with Nin because she's fun whom am I lying to, it's because of her tits but I might definitely maindeck keranos or the other niv mizzet because I like infinite comboes, maybe add in Deadeye navitators/palinchrome.

A better question is, anything immediately jumps at you that I should cut?

I'm fond of Flame Jab in spellslinger style decks. It does surprising amounts of work. Especially if you decide to run Pyromancer's Gloves. True Name Nemesis is a really strong creature but doesn't seem to gel with what you deck is trying to do. Also you have Young Pyromancer but no Talrand? Fix that shit. Final suggestion is add Turnabout to the deck because it does obscene amounts of work and turn Reverberate into Reiterate since it goes infinite mana with Turnabout and 10 lands.

cut forgotten cave, add wandering fumarole

shadows jace is pretty good

>opponent MLD's the board when I'm playing pepe
>draw exploration next turn
>life from the loam in the graveyard
>bueno.jpg

reanimator meme frog is the best
thank god for SOI

I know individual decks aren't necessarily cheaper, but I'm more comfortable buying single expensive cards than needing to buy 4 of each expensive card I want to play.

Hokori can be really fucking strong. Don't sleep on him despite being in mono-white

I second on cutting Jace, Isochron Scepter is also something I'm noy entitely impressed with.

I have to agree. Buying one of every fetch is a lot more reasonable than buying 4 of each, for example

Do you mean Pyromancer's Gauntlets? Or Goggles?

I like Shadows Jace, but it just so happens that I have the lorwyn one and want to cut at least some costs, seeing that I have to buy minamo, academy ruins, keranos, oblivion stone etc.

Nivs don't go infinite together, since Dracogenius has to do the damage to draw a card.

I meant Gauntlets. If you opt to run it that is. It tends to work better with a suite of smaller burn effects. Turn//Burn Fire//Ice and the like. By he way both those split cards are great under Isochron

I will look into it. Main reason I run isochron is fun factor - I dream of putting Price of Progress under it and committing collective suicide.

>tfw one day I am going to witness a Teeg/Brisela hard lock

>Opponent A has four turns
>Opponent B has eight turns
>Opponent C has twelve turns
>they may all play lands
Spicy.

How do I actually use this in a deck.

Spawnsire of ulamog with 200 Emrakul in your pocket?

Cast Research 6gorillion times

So, land base aside, what do you think? Maybe a few more tutors, like Runescarred Demon?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/08-06-16-wall-tribal/

Selvala stax? I'm clearly missing something here, she looks like a group hug general

Are the old commander precons worth picking up for the around 100 dollar price they carry?

Quick, recommend me a removal suite in a 5c deck.

W: Return to Dust, StP?
U: Cyclonic rift, ?
B: Tragic Slip, ?
R: ?
G: Krosan Grip, ?

Decimate

HOW2BUILD4DARETTI

Blasphemous Act

With Hokori, Winter Orb, and Static Orb you off-set the ability for your opponents to use multiple cards per turn. Othet examples in the hatebear department are Thalia/Glowrider/Vyrn Horse, Ethersworn Canonist, and Thorn of Amythest. With green you can just use mana dorks and get ahead of the game since while everyones shit is tapped, you are always ahead of the game thanks to Selvala and other Elves like Priest of Titania giving you mana.

You close out games with Armageddon/Ravages of War/Catastrophe, Kamahl/Elesh Norn, and Craterhoof. Or making them concede.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/23-06-16-BVv-omnath-edh/
Does anyone have suggestions for my Omnath deck? Cards that are maybeboard are ones I already have.

What rule are you talking about?

>tfw no one in your group concedes
>ever

It was previously ruled by the EDH committee that a deck could only produce mana in the general's color identity plus colorless. That has since been reneged. This has a rather large impact on Sen Triplets.

Your decks aren't FUN enuff.

I worry that if I build maximum FUN, games will just drag out for like 6 hours

So I'm trying to build a new deck, but I can't decide what. I'd like to eventually have a deck for every color combo, so for now I'm avoiding overlapping with existing decks. I have UR, GW, BG, WUG, and five color.

I'm trying to decide between U/B and UW, but both would just be goofy decks- the only UB commander that seems interesting to me is Vela, but I don't know how I'd build around that. For UW I was thinking of building a stupid 'theme' deck around the bad Ojutai and making it ice/winter themed.

Thoughts?

Vela is probably best built as low cost creatures that do cool things when they hit and mass bounce board control.

That's kind of what I was thinking- kinda like Roon, except without access to white or blue the "ETB" theme gets less stupid and irritating to play against.

I was also thinking I could put in a bounce-theme more than a blink thing, both on offense and defense, and then pack in black board wipes too.

I could also maybe do a Faeries subtheme- I know she's not a Faerie, but it could be fun?

almost always brawn unless you are running a lot of warrior trible/weenie recursion

if multi-color spells are k, terminate, vindicate/anguished unmaking, putrefy, mortify, abrupt decay, maelstrom pulse

austere command, profane command, plow under, go for the throat, lightning bolt, vandalblast, volcanic offering, reiterate (sort of)

just checking, you only drew one card from his MLD right?

do you not like original Isperia?

Just built this zany slut. Any spicy tech? Currently running early enablers like Grafted Wargear / Lashwrithe / Nightmare Lash to slap onto little dudes so they can get huge and explode into zombies.

Has a few wincons like Mike / Trike, Smothering Abomination + Sac outlet, Hatred + outlet, etc.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kalemne-sitter-of-faces/

Link related is my perpetual work in progress. The most recent changes were cutting some of the higher CMCs for more instant-speed responses. All critiques welcome.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/i-aint-saying-she-is-a-gravedigger/

Orkish Sureshot is beautiful

Run all the lords

Gravesawn sovereign can be hilarious

Lord + thornbite staff + Phyrexian alter =win

>32 lands
I don't get how someone could own so many expensive cards yet be such a bad deckbuilder.

Not bad, I think looking into the lorowyn rogue's and the kamigawa ninja's might not be a bad idea either since both those tribes tend to like being unblocked (though most of the ninja's are probably kinda weak because lol kamigawa).

Yea I am risking it, but land tax/tithe saves my ass enough to where it's usually OK. My meta wraths a lot too so getting stuff out early isn't quite as pivotal.

Nothing wrong with her, but when I was looking at the UW options the Ojutai Winter Theme came to me and seemed funny.

I know if I build some 20-odd decks not all of them can be optimized, and I'm okay with that.

32 is terrible. Hoping to start with a tax or tithe doesn't help at all.

Oooh, not a bad option. The deck she originally came in from Planechase had interesting Ninja stuff like Silent Blade Oni, and the ninjas aren't TERRIBLE.

The Rogues would probably go better if I weren't "diluting" things with Ninjas, but there are a lot more of them... this is an interesting angle, thank you.

we don't Vancouver Mulligan either so the starting hand usually isn't a problem

Step one of any Commander deck is 40 lands.

You can trim a little if you have a fairly low curve, or tons of ramp/artifact mana, but my rule of thumb is 40 lands, and you can remove 1 land for every 2 pieces of non-land ramp. 32 is insanely low unless you curve out at like 4 or you're cheating to get Tax out on turn 1 every game.

40 is too many

thats my rule of thumb

Not 40. I'd argue 36-38, depending on your rock or ramp count.

>40 lands
Our Angry Omnath player doesn't even run that many

>partialscum
You don't need deckbuilding help, you need a new playgroup.

angry omnath is one of the few decks that can benefit from really high land count, i would say 40 or even 41-42 could be fine in omnath, gitrog frog, or titania, azusa, etc

but normal decks, 36 is my ideal, but sometimes i go lower if the deck has a lot of card draw

i hate land flooding