How much thought do you put into the food of your setting?

How much thought do you put into the food of your setting?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zjc2vqMQhXM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Grox Burgers in Dark Heresy.

I want to suck on her fluffy pastries.

None

Unless its relevant to the plot or required in some way i mostly base it off real life

My "human" characters are all automatons who never eat. Even after weeks of in-game travel I will not reduce the Rations number on my sheet by even one point, the GM will never call for food to be sought out or bring attention to it, and I will never spend a gold coin per day on the assumption that my character is spending money on food.
Then this party of flesh robots goes to a poorly made random dungeon and spend many hours rolling dice to determine if and how badly the dungeon gnome was knicked by the Dagger of Constipation+2 and where.

About as much as other elements of local flavor. It's there to give the PCs something more than just "you eat a meal", and tells them something about the local ecology, culture, and economy. It's fun to even put in things that highlight the magical nature of the world. Like, for instance, a giant Roc was killed, and the body was sent to the city, where it was used as stew meat for the various inns, so for a time, almost all the inns in town served roc stew.

>inb4 potatoes

>Even after weeks of in-game travel I will not reduce the Rations number on my sheet by even one point, the GM will never call for food to be sought out or bring attention to it, and I will never spend a gold coin per day on the assumption that my character is spending money on food.

Same here. If the GM doesn't care enough to tell us even once that we should be deducting rations or lifestyle costs, then I won't bother.

>hey DM, we set up camp in a safe place and rest for the day
>great, remember to deduct a day of rations, like you should be doing every night
If my DM even did that once in a while, then I would feel obligated to do it for every in-game day

Not much, but more than most it would seem. My PCs all keep track of their rations while on expeditions, and the occasional npc eating food that communicates something about their character or that of the town will pop up from time to time.

Too much.

>shroom pie (dwarfs): inside a mushroom pileus big as a cartwheel, stuff cheese, duck eggs and herbs. Fried and served in slices

>luck sausage: when you have a little of everything but it is too hot for soup. Cow's liver, dried beans, all kinds of leftovers are mixed inside. Street vendors everywhere always reassure you that the hard bit you have bitten is the "pig's bones".
>"Bit the pig's bones" became a way of saying something's not right.

>Batwing powder: as the name says. Put to dry in the sun before being crushed. Dwarfs say it adds a "not unpleasant, stale-like taste".

>Dwarfs from the icy mountains make the "devil's drink": a full bucket of samogon brewed from potatos, tempered with red pepper.

>The desert elves sell some fey varieties of spices from their hidden faeric oasis. The tastes are unlike anything in this world, impossible to define. That's because they are glamoured. It is a illusive flavor which corresponds to the one who tastes it.

>Potato with onions: first you fry the onions in troll's fat, the one you get pieces from ever since your grandma killed that beast. After, you kinda braise both the sliced potatos and onions together until the potato becomes soft. Add salt as you like.

>that weird eastern country full of piromancers likes to make popcorn to eat together with palm-sap beer.

>A kavajan brotherhood of valiant horsemen can only proclaim to be so after they have the means to grill the whole cut of megatherium ribs over eight hours

What emotion is her face trying to convey?

Less an emotion, more a message. "You know you want some."

Too much. I haven't done much of anything in regards to worldbuilding or plot or things of that nature, and yet I've got tables of foods both real and fictional, magical and mundane, when, where, and how they come to be, and the effects they have on a dish when cooked with. I'm starting on recipes now.

Send help.

>You are in an area with a geography like X place on Earth
>You eat Y food
>Z fantasy element adds a twist to it
The larger the culture in that part of the world is, the further food spreads in the setting.

My nomadic nation of people raising giant dachshund looking lizard mounts in a tropical region makes tartar out of stringy bushmeat tucked under the saddle with salt between banana leaves.

Very little. If there's a farm nearby, inns will have food from there, but otherwise players get some kind of complete meal. It's made up of whatever I'm hungry for at the moment. Equal portions of meat, veg, and carb. Higher-quality meals have nicer meat and more of it.

I've been putting in a bit more thought.

Generally only when food is scarce or a tavern is the focus of the scene, assuming they aren't just stopping for the rumor mill and bed.

With the exception of a recent game, where one player is playing a "Traveling Chef Bard" and uses the "Inspiring Leader" Feat to represent the great boost to morale offered by eating real food and not rations or forage.

So usually each time he uses the feat while we rest he gives a short description of what meal is being cooked. If we've killed anything of note, when we killed some Elk we had Venison steak. He also keeps a small stock of various other goods and meats specified in amounts and restocks when they get low. GM is going to give him Gourmand as a bonus feat once we make it to the next city.

I do kinda want some

The french do make so good bread

Work from the foods you have. How is it made? What are the ingredients? How do the people obtain said ingredients? What kind of climate/ecosystem is capable of producing said ingredients? Food is a major influence on culture; you've already given yourself a solid base to work from.

I try to make food a really big deal, but at least one player will always be a faggot and take the Outlander background in 5e, making any and all resource management worthless.

Although the cleric did buy a barrel to fill with water every few days, which was pretty cool.

So instead I'm basically stuck describing slow-cooked peasant food most of the time.

>food resource management
Food really isn't supposed to be an issue in 5e. That's why there are a few low-level abilities that solve it completely. Even the rules for hunting and foraging don't make it that hard for a party to feed themselves while traveling.

Encumbrance, however, is where the resource management comes into play. It's a balancing act between preparedness, the amount of loot you can bring home, the extent to which you can look after pack animals, and a few other things. You don't have any background features that completely get around it, although noble's retainers come close.

Ice cream is a must

Too much.

It's also problematic because I start salivating when writing things up.

>"Ok guys I'm going to make this game serious, you'll all have to have rations or you'll start getting levels of exhaustion!"
>we eat/do a roll to find food maybe the first night or two
>it's never brought up again

When I DM, there are usually restaurants and shit available, with the catch being that it'll be decently expensive. It's not normally that expensive, but when 4 out of town idiots come in with coins bulging out of every pocket, their burgers are going to cost several golds each. The coastal merchant towns have Red Lobsters, the dwarven/human ranchlands have Outback Steakhouses, etc. Players are usually excited to eat in a decent place for once instead of eating burnt rabbit on the side of the road.

For 3.5 the ring of sustenance pretty much killed any chance of my group ever caring about food

Otherwise I don't think it's ever really been a significant point in any other games

Not much, because I'd inevitably get it wrong anyway.

As someone who hasn't devoted his entire life to culinary studies, it'd be undeservedly smug of me to go throwing around a bunch of fancy food terms my players won't get anyway.

I'm in the middle of world building currently, and am doing it a little at a time

All I know so far is that one of the staple crops will be amaranth.

I run Shadowrun, so I use food to illustrate wealth or lack of wealth.

zero to over 9000. As in, I never mention it unless it's relevant, but if it IS relevant I usually make the actual food to serve during the game.

What can I say, I like to cook. Also, it's fun to switch out the spicy chocolates when my players fail their perception rolls to see if the desert is poisoned or not.

This would totally be a dick move if I didn't, you know, actually know what my friends are like and that they would find this funny as well. So be careful if stealing that.

We also use shots for healing potions, justifying that they should have a slightly impairing function.

One thing: Lemon Saffron Dandelion wine. Think about it.

Ice cream is shit

>spotted the lactose intolerant beta

Only as much as I need to cook it.

Probably more than my players care to hear about. I'm a historical foods junkie so I tend to lean on it a lot in worldbuilding.

That elf has some fat fucking ears

>Jesus user what's that smell?

>Just cooking up some turds from last night!

I'd prefer a much more delicious brown.

Amalia a shit
Eva a best

Waaaaaay too much.

Some

Basic stuff really

Dwarfs like their meat and potato and their ale, beer, whiskey.

Orcs are much the same except the meat is more bloody and they lack in choice of Drink

Wood elves eat berries and nuts and hunt wild game and don't really drink

High Elves go for the more gourmet type, fine wine and wonderful but small portions

Humans and Halflings take a little from everyone

Dwarven bread rations are amazing for staving off hunger. After weeks of marching and you're down to your Dwarven bread rations you'll be amazed by how many of your troops suddenly don't feel hungry anymore.

I'll make up a short page worth of stuff to describe the local food for
>Bottom feeders
>Low class
>Middle class
>Nobles
>The ultra rich
And let the players handle things from there. And if they want to eat a fertilized toxraptor egg that's been gently distressed in plum brandy and delicate spices for two weeks before being served just because that's fashionable with rich idiots right now, hey, maybe they'll get Peer (Nobility) out of it.

As much as I can get away with.

Innkeeper Hassan sounds like a fun NPC

Chef with a possible connection to Crazy Hassan?

Any relation to the famous "Crazy" Hassan the camel merchant?
And does Karibu Restaurant's menu come from camels unfit for re-sale?

>666

I may need to rethink my ideas

Outlander says "provide that the land offers berries, small game, water, and so forth" put them in an environment that doesn't have those things. Like Mordor, or a famine wracked land that has been stripped bare.

>play a race that doesn't eat
>roleplay about occasionally enjoying decadence such as meat
>only being in the party who doesn't need sustenance is the only one who has eaten anything ever

Crazy Hassans ride-trough?

WRITEFAGS! WRITEFAGS

I'm playing a ratling in Only War right now, so yes.

Bartering, scavenging, and stealing ways to improve rations is a lucrative endeavour.

He doesn't look that crazy

Slow-cooked peasant food can be really good, you know. I have been known to make something akin to a pottage which, so far, has been agreed by everyone who's tasted it to be pretty good.

Eva best waifu.

Redwall levels of food thought

I'm not even sure if it was magical realm or not, but in our DMs homebrew setting, penises were a delicacy.

We found an ancient cookbook on how to cook penises in 1000 different ways. Was an uncomfortable level of priceless.

youtube.com/watch?v=zjc2vqMQhXM
lets get this shit popular on youtube please, I wanna be roasted by papafraku

Minimal. I normally just take exotic dishes and rename them. Like that think where they fry the chick alive except for the head and then eat it as it is forced to watch

So in that setting, would, "Go eat a bag of dicks," be akin to wishing someone luck?

Well if you went and told someone to go eat a bag of high quality choice cuts of steak or truffles (the mushrooms), how do you think you'd respond.

This is objectively true.

>party is travelling with a band of orcs who are angry at these bugbears that have desecrated their Gruumsh temple
>everybody is given jobs
>my job is chef since I have cooking skills
>DM: ''what kinda meal do you make them''
>me: ''I take them straight to flavour town baby''

>You don't have any background features that completely get around it, although noble's retainers come close.
Guild Merchant, Artisan variant
You're a trader and you get a free mule-driven cart.

Those are skinny teenager, Miranda is a real woman

>Guild Merchant, Artisan variant
>You're a trader and you get a free mule-driven cart.

I've used it before. You do still have to keep the mule and cart safe. Mules and carts (pic is closer to a wagon) are medium-sized, so they can follow you into dungeons. It can get problematic however when you need to go into a building and don't want your mule shitting and tracking mud everywhere.

The retainers, however, I have not used. Presumably they are not retarded and will be able to competently watch your wagon and pack animals while waiting outside of a dungeon. Ideally you get the squire version so that the DM can reasonably justify them fending off minor threats.

More than average I'd think, but not as much as I'd like too.

I'd send him a bottle of wine for christmas

Completely outclassed in S2

Don't you be talking bout her like that.

Fat ears

Fit ears

If I had any artistic ability, I would bring glory to Studio Ghibli with my food.

I've been wanting to do a game centered around fantasy food/ingredient gathering for a while now.

Seems like it'd be fun.

>that time the wizards went through a foodie fad

CLAMP level.
And sometimes, when appropriate, I try to prepare to kind of food the party will eat. "When appropriate" is the keyword here. So they can actually roleplay that meeting with a noble and show how much of a group of peasants they are.

I use this. Setting doesn't have to be WFRP2