Anyone have any impressions of the new Savage Worlds version of Rifts?

Anyone have any impressions of the new Savage Worlds version of Rifts?

Also, in need of PDF links if anyone's scanned it yet.

Other urls found in this thread:

etymonline.com/index.php?term=jerry-built
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>scanned it yet

Buddy the physical book isn't due out for a few more months at least.

And while we're at it, most of the pdf content isn't even finished yet. They only recently released the tomorrow legion handbook pdf to the kickstarter backers.
t. a kickstarter backer

No? Woops, I thought it was released last week. Oh well, I'll check back later then.

Any updates from those who've read the PDF?

Does it look good?

It actually looks stellar, MDC is handling like standard savage heavy armor (actually replacing the term Heavy armor with M.D.C) and Megadamage for weapons that damage MDC gear.

MDC tends to be restricted to stuff like large creatures, borgs, robot vehicles and certian magical and pisonic stuff.

No MDC weapons to not instagib non MDC targets.

Real impresed with how awesome character types feel. a Cyberknight psi-sword is no longer a middling thing you almost never use, but a, overwhelming blade of concentrated awesome that can be fed 2 isp to damage M.D.C for the combat.

Gliterboys, and the boom-gun, will absolutely one shot most targets, including other Gliterboys if your not careful.

the whole thing captures the raw power of the setting in a system that actually makes you feel powerfull compared to those around you.

Huh. Looks like I'll actually look into this and/or add it to the list.

Seriously, though, Mystics and bursters are both equally bullshit, Also.... And I want to stress this.

I don't think Dogboys are restricted from psionics.

Dog boy Burster... set the world on fire.

My only complaint is there either needs to be more art or better descriptions because the only reason I know what any of the gear looks like is by looking it up in old rifts books.

The colour art looks good but SW is known for skimping on art in their books in general. One way to keep prices down.

The Rifts are crammed with art because a) B&W 1/4page art is cheap and b) Siembieda paid his artists a pittance, and when they got more expensive he simply got newer, younger artists.

Not a big fan so far (only one book out and all)
>no shifters.....
Ok therevarevbut villian only
>no diminsional telport or open rift spell
Seriously its fucking RIFTS let me open rifts
>telport got nerfed
From miles and miles to like a few foot ball fields at best
>massive spell tome gone
All the spells now are combat oriented, heck the whole ofbthebrules haventhings like once per session and allbthe abilities are combat related.
>if a cyborg takes a few good hits its 1 in 6 chance of shutting down.
Also my laser rifle shouldnt break becuase I rolled a double 1
>techno wizards cant cast spells, make gimicky items and are just mad scientist now
>mystics are some how holy now.
This was not needed and not even refrenced slightly in palladium RIFTS.
>for an expanded players guide its pretty thin, the cs field guide wont hit print ever.
>dragons got nerfed hard.
They are not even mdc like a light cyborg or samson suit.
>MARS was a good idea vs 100 occ conversions, good job.
>combats way faster but feels cartony.
Bennies and cards and this and that and ....yeah its a pure combat setting now, the growth arc is kinda fast making long term campaigns accelerate to quick.
>melee combat overly encuraged
Its a modern setting i shouldbstand back and blast dudes not run at them and use a sword.
>Im not a fan of the art, everyones in tight "combat suits" and alot of the dbees are just ugly.
>the new faction makes cyber knights look grey compared to how light side they are.

Over all it feels like a less in depth system than even d&d 4th edition was.

Palladium-fag detected.

Nice to see you didn't refute a single point he made; Palladium-fag or not that shit doesn't sound like Rifts to me

Why in savage are some of the ranges something like 24/48/96 instead of nice even 25/50/100, for example?

>Also my laser rifle shouldnt break becuase I rolled a double 1
Yes, it should. It's a post-apoc setting where guns are poorly made (often jury-rigged), not a German-engineered BMW. All kinds of shit should break regularly, not just guns.

>>mystics are some how holy now.
>>This was not needed and not even refrenced slightly in palladium RIFTS.

That's what mystics are; holy men with magic powers. The fact that Rifts was retarded and didn't understand the meaning of the words it used just confirms it.

>yeah its a pure combat setting now

That's pretty funny coming from a Rifts guy. Original Rifts was super damn combat heavy. If combat is faster, that's all the better.

But I don't particularly like bennies, cards and all that SW shit either.

>not liking bennies
Enjoy dying when your GM rolls maximum damage multiple times in a row, then
>cards
Yeah fuck them, you can replace them for initiative very easily (I use a d12+Agility, myself)

How about a pdf? 7th Sea 2e backers had a pdf for Veeky Forums within hours of it being released to backers.

Because they're based on real-world weapon ranges. With the Extreme Range rules in place they're not so far from what you'd get out of an assault rifle's maximum effective range.

also 24, 48 and 96 are even numbers

Well, yeah, even, but, uhhhh, round numbers? 25/50/100 wouldn't be that far from the real ranges either.

Fucked if I know. Maybe to match the fact Pace tends to be an even number too?

Also pretty much all ranges in SW tend to be like this, not just some.
I don't see a problem.

How do you "jury rig" a laser so it breaks if you pull the trigger? Seriously?

Measuring in feet

Ha Ha Ha No.....

It's there a better have than modded fallout 4 for emulating RIFTS? It seems The Best fit for both juicer and some other classes

Insulation breach, battery short circuit into grip, dollop of vasoline on the lens...

you had your chance to back it
now wait like everyone else

I'm a Savage Worlds guy -- not a Rifts guy, but I like what I've seen so far. The game feels really, really different from other SW games, mostly because of the beginning power level (which is quite high).

Chargen looked intimidating at first, but if you do it once or twice, you realize that the frameworks are actually pretty clear. There are a lot of character options and I like the way the various table rolls can head your character in some interesting new directions.

It's perhaps a bit too dependent on players have a grasp on the Rifts background.

GMing might be a challenge -- especially at first. Make sure everyone understands the MDC rules.

I might have bought it before, but now I will absolutely pirate it and never give a dime to the company.

Considering that MDC rules are basically the same as Heavy Armor rules, and that ISP and PPE are just re-fluffed power points, it should be fairly easy for most Savage players to wrap their heads around.

Something breaks because you're pushing components to the breaking point or ignoring or bypassing typical 'safe' design.
It happens with actual electronics often enough if you try to take shortcuts--inevitably something will fail.

Or hell, ever see Real Genius? A lot of that movie is a string of ways high-powered lasers can fail.

...because backers aren't leaking preview stuff?

Did I miss something, or are you seriously throwing a tantrum to try and prove a point?

You can play a lot of SW and not run into the Heavy Armor rules.

I found a leaked self portrait of you user.

>fallout 4
>stalker concept art
motherfucker

I always thought it was jerry rigging? As in it was so slapped together it looks like it was made by jerry?

>Because they're based on real-world weapon ranges.

No, it's because it based off of measuring at the table using a ruler that is 12 inches long.

Jury's an antiquated term that means 'makeshift'.

And I'm pretty sure jury-rigging's originally a nautical term, referring to makeshift ship parts. Things like temporary masts, which hold the rigging.

Funny thing: I () am looking more into it, and technically jerry rigged would actually work too, based on some old Liverpool slang.
etymonline.com/index.php?term=jerry-built

Correcto.

>Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, Eleventh Edition (2003) says that jerry-rigged goes back only to 1959. It speculates that the term is an amalgam of jury-rigged (dating to 1788) and jerry-built (dating to 1869). The jury in jury-rigged doesn't involve a panel of one's peers, however; it means "makeshift" and appears in the Middle English jory saile meaning "makeshift sail." The term jury-rig thus means (according to the Eleventh Collegiate): to erect, construct, or arrange in a makeshift fashion. As for jerry-built, Farmer & Henley, Slang and Its Analogues (1893) offers this discussion:
Jerry-builder, subs. (common).— A rascally speculating builder. Jerry-built, adj., = run up in the worst materials. [The use of the term arose in Liverpool circa 1830.]
From the Facts on File Encyclopedia of Word and Phrase Origins (2000): jerry-built. The cheap, flimsy constructs of a Mr. Jerry of the Jerry Bros. of Liverpool may have inspired the word jerry-built. Jerry-built could also be connected with the trembling crumbling walls of Jericho; the prophet Jeremiah, because he foretold decay; the word jelly, symbolizing the instability of such structures; or the Gypsy word gerry, for "excrement." Still another theory suggests a corruption of jerry-mast, a name sailors and ship builders gave to makeshift wooden masts midway through the last [19th] century. Jerry-masts or rigs derive their name from the the French jour, "day," indicating their temporary nature. So whereas jury-rigged suggests "improvised in an emergency," jerry-built signifies "very shoddily constructed." The much later jerry-rigged splits the difference, according to the Eleventh Collegiate, but perhaps tends a bit closer to jerry-built than to jury-rigged:

Jury-rigged means improvised; jerry-rigged means shitty.

So, what's the deal with the Tomorrow Legion? Is it as dumb as it sounds?

I think it's alright, and gives parties greater excuse for being together than "uh, murderhobos I guess" or "Coalition party, forget about half the character options"

It's fucking amazing. A few glitches, but those are expected for an alpha release like this.

>>dragons got nerfed hard.
>They are not even mdc like a light cyborg or samson suit.

What are you even talking about? Dragons are naturally MDC in Savage Rifts.

Not do mention a fucking groceries list of powers and a 1d12+4 str

>Not do mention a fucking groceries list of powers and a 1d12+4 str

Yeah, I made up a Dragon Hatchling the other day -- it's a seriously dangerous character.

Hey help me out on this one, if you do go with Born a Hero, are you able to grab dragon upgraded Advances at chargen from the list?

Dragons don't start with any free Edges and don't get any points from Hindrances at character creation, since they don't pick their Hindrances until play starts, so no.

Oh well that's probably for the best.