Do you have any locations near you that could be used as inspiration in a campaign

Do you have any locations near you that could be used as inspiration in a campaign.

I live in the same city as the Freetown Christiania. There are areas out there that are like pulled from fantasy novel. The concept of a rogue city within a city where wizards and other alternative folks live in complete contrast to the bureaucracy of the surrounding city could make an interesting capital city in a campaign.

Pic related, took it out there the other day.

Bump

That motherfucking huge swampland to the south that occupies a third of my country.
Some people in Polesia were unaware of WW2 'til germans came to them in person. Or even after war ended, 'cuz nobody reached to some places.

>Freetown Christiania
Didn't they shut that down a few years ago?

The Tivoli should deliver nice creepy vistas during off hours.

My home town has persistent rumors of old tunnels, a place where the US kept nuclear weapons for decades without telling anyone, and a bridge whose builder tricked the devil himself who made an appearance at the opening.

A hindu temple built into a cave system?

Nowhere near my place but a nobody there can go on 4 chan. A temple built on the gates of hell themselves. The eastern idea of hell just means it's rather neutral. But with a D&d idea of hell, an order of monks with orders to hold the line against hell itself.

Heh.
Velen.

On my island, there sits the old royal palace. It became the offices of administration for the new government after the overthrow, and, in recent history, underwent restoration and became a historical museum of sorts, into which the public is allowed under the supervision of a tour guide. It is from my forays there that I've gotten many of my notions as to how royalty might live, and what their personal chambers might look like.

There are actually a few other buildings like it, too; courts and government buildings and the like still standing from the time of the monarchy that you can visit for pretty cheap if you're a state resident. They're equally interesting--so small by our standards, but well kept, beautiful, and stately in their own right. Nothing like the absolute focus on functionality that their modern counterparts display.

>The concept of a rogue city within a city where wizards and other alternative folks live in complete contrast to the bureaucracy of the surrounding city could make an interesting capital city in a campaign.
Describe it.

Yo braddah.

Of course, we also have the ruins of ancient temples too. Though there's no underground structures to explore, they're often eerie places.

Eh brah.

Yeah, old heiau are intense places to visit. Gives me chicken skin.

I guess one other place I could think of that we have might be those old naval gun emplacements and military structures from back in WW2, with those rusting out old spiral staircases and casemates built into the mountain that used to hold guns that could probably shoot over the horizon. Those are eerie in their own way, too, though I'm not sure if they let people visit them, anymore--all that steel and concrete, now dark and empty.

Also, not on our island, but a couple over there's a preserved city of refuge.

Back in the day if you broke a sacred law, you were probably going to be put to death unless you could get to one of these places and get the priests to purify you. Also, if you were a non-combatant you could stay here during a battle and be safe. After the battle was over, if you were on the losing side and fleeing, you would be safe if you got there.

You can still get to a bunch of them. They're not 'off limits' per se, but a lot of them no longer have easy access, and the ones that are easiest to get to are just concrete bunkers, no ladders left. Less trouble than the Stairway to Heaven for those.

Visited family in the French Basque Country last summer. Beautiful place. This would be Donian, or St Jean Pied De Port. That's an 11th century church just to the left of the bridge. Wonderful place.

I live in Maryland, so just reverse time for twenty years and you have the scene for literally every "lost in the woods" story ever.

Actually, come to think of it, the Stariway makes an interesting location too. A stairway to something important, the climb is dangerous and arduous, but beautiful and something waits at the top. The land the stairway is on is owned by a local noble. At the bottom, do-gooders attempt to stop people from making the climb to save their lives, while the lord's men try to keep pilgrims from trespassing on the noble's property.

let there be bump

There are some castles near me. There should probably be some WW2 stuff nearby too (I live in the Netherlands near the coast) but I dont think it's accesible.

This one is also within walking distance. Although I guess it's more of a mansion than a castle.

It's said that Charlemange once came through my village and ordered a church built to convert all those Slavs around.
We also have an old Jewish graveyard deep in the woods. It hasn't been used for over 80 years because the all the Jews left when the Nazis took control. The synagoge has become a brewery aparently. A mile away there's an artificial lake that was used as a graveyard for 450 years previously.

And that's just directly around my village. I live in a river valley on the fringe of an area full of wooded hills and mountains, with castle ruins and caves strewn everywhere. There have also been created a few islands between that river and the Rhine–Main–Danube Canal.

No? They have no real reason to do so. It's not like anyone gives a shit about weed.
They do occasional police raids against it though.

Sup danebro, seems like P&P guys near Hovedstaden are rare

I'm from Florida, my whole state is a campaign.