What is the rarest mtg card you have seen in real life?

What is the rarest mtg card you have seen in real life?

Bonus points if you own it.

Look at the chubby fingers stuffed into those gloves like blue sausage links.

I have a one-of-a-kind misprint. It's not really worth anything, but it would be tied for rarest with any number of other one-of-a-kind cards.

Summer Hurricane.
I wish I owned it.

Power nine. I don't own them.

A playset of Beta Taigas some guy traded in. He also had one of the Power Nine but I didn't handle it.

I went 15 years without playing when I picked up the game again during Theros block. I had sold a lot of my better stuff when I quit back around 99, but when I went back through my older cards, I found a few lands that looked pretty weird. Apparently I owned 3 Guru lands. They helped fund my cardboard crack addiction the past couple years.

I have a friend who has crazy luck when opening booster packs. Once he opened two planeswalkers in a single pack, one of which was foiled. I have seen his collection and I cant remember the cards off of the top of my head, but I do remember him having Liliana of the Veil, among other planeswalkers.

>grossed out beyond belief by fat fingers
>literally cannot watch tabletop battle reports

I own Beta Mox Pear and a Moat from my ancient "white stax" deck I just found early this year.

Why is a Metroid leeching on that poor Imp?

my friend has 3 of those exact misprints.

This $500 piece of shit popped up in a commander game at my LGS.

had an ancestral recall as a kid.
i never knew much about the competitive aspect game.
threw it into a recycling bin with a thousand other cards

WHY is it $500? ($400 on tcg)

Low print count.

That I understand, but there are cards that do the exact same thing or better for the same cost or cheaper.

Very rare, Portal wasn't printed in big numbers. This is also why Imperial Seal is about ten times as expensive as Vampiric Tutor, even tho it's strictly worse.

The rules on the card mean less than the rarity. Don't forget the first c in ccg is collectible.

In a singleton format (like Commander) it's effectively having a second copy of Time Warp.

Expedition godless shrine opened it in my first booster ever and sold it to some rando at my legs the same day.

I had moxes back in the day. They're probably in a box of my mom's ex that's just sitting in a garage or some shit.

Recently a foil avacyn (the best version of her) my roomie owns. Keeps bragging about how he pulled it from a booster. I went through his box and stacked all his value cards one day, probably around 400 dollars.

NM basically pack-fresh Gaea's Cradle. I almost sniped a foil Japanese rishadan port off a guy who owed me a fuckton of money but he paid me back.

Oh yeah, my dad works at Wizards!

It's a good chunk of a paycheck but I got over it. I wasted far more money waffling in college before I figured shit out

My friend owned a foil Jace, the Mind Sculptor before selling it and getting a regular one.

Vizzerdrix white border. Still have it now

Has there ever be a worse thread on Veeky Forums? I think not. Anything that devolves into a dick waving contest among actual fedora wearing "m lady" men's rights activists over how has witnessed the most expensive piece of cardboard is a new low, even by the board known for its Waifu quests.

You haven't been here very long, have you?

I pulled a foil ema force of will, nothing too special or interesting

We literally just had a thread about an autist who thinks the male race is obsolete and every fictional character should be female.

Show me, faggot.

Dude that was a total bait thread. I feel half of Veeky Forums is so autistic that they'll take the easiest bait.

Me included. Just like this thread.

Own Juzam Djinn and have a Beta Icey Manipulator... or maybe its unlimited? IDK, I forget. Also have a forcefield.

probably the most expensive things I own.

funny thing though. I don't even play it any longer.

saw this in japan a month ago, definitely the coolest.

other than that its power 9 stuff at GP vendors

Portal was a low print set.
It was mostly for the orient, the only english pack went to Australia.

I've seen a Black Lotus and Summer Hurricane in a display case.

I own a NM foil Polluted Delta (from Onslaught)
I also know a guy who owns a Black Lotus, though very worn out.

I have a BGS 9.5 graded Mishra's Workshop.
I bought it from someone who opened 6 of them when Antiquities was first released and had kept 2 of them, sleeved in a binder, ever since. They'd sold one already and I bought the other for $300 before having it graded.

I own an MMA Goyf, that's about it. Have the expedition lands gone down in price much? Petty sure the GB expedition fetchland I cracked and traded for was worth more.

I used to have an imperial seal. My mom gave my whole collection away to a bunch of retards as a gift.

it gets run in edh in decks that already run time warp and whatever the buyback one is

>Rarest owned?
One Expedition Wooded Foothills, One Expedition Ancient Tomb. Both pulled within a month of the other.
>Rarest seen?
It is a tie between watching one dude at a sealed tournament pull a foil Gideon then pull a normal Gideon the very next booster (which I've never even heard of happening) and some vintage deck which had a mox ruby and mox pearl.

>tfw a guy with the whole power 9 is playing at the magic-club where I live, where there's not even a LGS anywhere.

saw a Mox Pearl once.

I had a Frankenstein's Monster from The Dark that had suffered an error while the pack was being bound. The packaging press crenellated part of the bottom of the card, making it a marked card unusable in tourney.

I owned an unlimited Black Lotus about 15 years ago, as well as three Chaos Orbs, a Mox Emerald, and a few assorted other Alpha/Beta/Unlimited rares. Sold them all off a long time ago. I hate thinking about it, especially seeing today's values.

Seen? I guess sets of Power 9 cards at a GP from vendors.

>Bonus points if you own it.

would never happen unless i win the powerball.

mox ruby and a time walk
my friend traded a ton of shit for the ruby back in the day and won the time walk in a sealed tournament
when he moved he left his cards in the closet, the house had changed hands twice since then and the cards were no longer there

Not counting obvious P9 from GP vendors, my expensive pile consists of EXP Arid Mesa, Sacred Foundry, and Rugged Prairie. I pulled two EXP's and traded for the RW versions. Bought the Mesa though.

Also have a White bordered Plateau.

I prefer playing my one commander deck and pimping the motherfucker beyond belief. Its easy because RW is on the cheap end of things.

I played with a powered cube that a guy brought to my lgs once, it had beta power 9 and every card that had a foil printing was foil. That thing must have been worth close to 100k.

1. Saw a guy playing with a vintage deck with a) full power and b) no sleeves, full on regular shuffling. Fuck him.
2. Friend owns an artist proof mishras workshop, one of 32 printed.

My friend managed to pull a Vensor and a foil Vensor in the same pack at an FNM draft. We share a collection and he had to pass to me, so that was pretty nice too.

Also, gf did the same thing with Damnation back in Future Sight, not drafting though.

My nigga

>What is the rarest mtg card you have seen in real life?

OP, I owned a shit-ton of the rares from the original 'Legends' series as well as the original dual-lands. Hadn't played MTG in nearly two decades so I sold them all for mucho $$$$. Now have a massive board game collection that I get a lot more use out of. I kept Dakkon Blackblade because I liked the art and it wasn't a high dollar card.

I've seen more pow-9 then you can shake a stick at. As for the rarest I own....hmmmm....maybe Zodiac Dragon. It took awhile to track down.

Oh shit. I recently acquired a box of old 3ed and ice-age era stuff. I picked it clean for anything of value and sold the rest for bulk. There were several hurricanes in there and I'm 95% sure they were all green but now I am paranoid as fuck that I missed one of these...

Got a Bayou, that's it.

>Friend owns an artist proof mishras workshop, one of 32 printed.
Please tell me he has double sleeved it at least

>mfw my friend has a Lotus signed by Christopher Rush

>English pack
So was it meant for China, sounds interesting.

If I had something like that I's have it double sleeved encased in silicon in a temperature controlled vacuum sealed case.

>pay to win card games

I had an orginal Ali from Cario which was from the first expansion set back in the 1990s. I only played magic for 2 yrs sold everything and dedicated myself to RPGs and Warhammer 40K, Necromunda, WFB, Blood Bowl et Al.

>white boarder

so does that mean it was a misprint?

Gotta be a scrubland or Goblin Sleigh ride
Seen
Black Lotus

Oh wow that art is beautiful!

Not if you pulled it in a booster I guess

Is there a chance that wizards would ever publish the power 9 again? If they did, would that even de-value the original power 9 cards?

>Is there a chance that wizards would ever publish the power 9 again?
Not unless they both ditch the reserve list and lose their minds entirely, and the latter is much more likely to happen than the former.

I shouldn't even be showing you guys this. It's literally priceless

>own
Revised Tropical Island
>seen
Beta Mox Jet

Kinda unrelated, but if I were to buy one of FTV: Exiled and an Expeditions Scalding Tarn now, and the other in a few months (up to a year), which should I buy now? Which do you think will go up more, first?

OH FUUUUUUUUUUUCK

A guy who used to be in our group had a beta time walk. Brother-in-law has 2 of each the original dual lands. Personally I own a tropical island from revised and had owned an expedition polluted delta until I sold it for $288 on eBay.

>seen
Black lotus... tons of them... Why is that a question?

Rarest own? Probably my foil Jace or foil bob, which I think is nice, but not fantastic.

I still have this in mint condition

I don't care it isn't worth much, it's worth much to me

i have one of those, t pretty sweet.
also got a foily liliana of the veil.
rarest card i've seen is up back a few years ago i saw a black lotus signed by richard garfield, that was worth an absolute fuckload.

This is probably my rarest, not worth a lot but ive never seen another one in the flesh.

>Lose it at some point
>Find it again a few years ago
>Immediately lose it again in the following week
Still feels like a dream, but I'm sure I had it there.

I'm not sure which card actually is expensive as fuck, but I had a friend open a fate reforged booster next to me with two Ugins.

Had: Ancestral altered by Poole, Black Lotus, Time Walk, and Timetwister. was especially proud of the timetwister because i bought it for 75 bucks at gencon the summer before vintage prices went apeshit insane. sold them all at a GP 2 years ago for a hefty stack of hundreds.
Still Have: Playset of Dual lands, NM chaos orb , 4 Christmas cards, a moat and a Library of Alexandria

Any guesses? I'm not much of a financial type.

I had a fat friend once who was in complete denial over how his fingers were also fat. Like, he'd post a photo of his hand holding something somewhere and people would respond with
>gee, that's some really fat fingers
And he'd be completely dumbfounded as to how they were able to see that he was fat when all they could see was his hand. They fucking told you dude, it's because you're fingers are fat, because you are fat, so you have fat fucking sausage fingers.

are you going to use the cards or sit on them?
I'd probably say the tarn first. then the FTV. im not a fan of opening FTV sets since they warp like mother fuckers.

I've seen two black lotuses made into a coaster, and have every reason to believe it was real based on the person who's house it was.

The only factor for me is which will go up the most in roughly a year. Both'll probably get played with, and most unused FTV cards I've got I keep back-to-back in a binder and their urges to warp cancel out.

I've seen all the legacy stuff because my store, in the middle of the fucking ghetto, is home to a shit ton of 40 year olds that have been playing since the beginning that taught me a lot
One guy showed me 4 alpha underground seas that had "Shivan Dragon" written across them which was really funny to see

Im pretty new to magic. Can you clarify "legacy stuff?"

literally why?
holy fuck those are expensive ass coasters.

He's lying. Anyone that rich knows growing away $40,000 for a coaster is just stupid beyond belief/

I watched a guy pull a Black Lotus a few years back when they randomly packed crazy stuff in boosters.

Personally, back in the early days I had two Moxen (Red and White) and a playset of Plateau's. I sold them along with all my cards shortly after The Dark came out and I quit Magic.

That hasn't happened anywhere in the thread user...
Literally you're the only one talking about that

White border means it was reprinted in a core set back when core sets were all white bordered except foils (this is why 7th edition foils can be really expensive).

>your Mew keeps disappearing and reappearing
>you have the real Mew trapped in cardboard

I've only been playing since right before theros. Rarest i own is probably the alter art Ugin from the prerelase that I pulled. Put it in a deck without sleeves for a week before realizibg ny idiocy.

I also had a scalding tarn expedition. Traded it for a playset of baby jace right before the price drop. I'm still very sad about it.

Seen all of power nine.

Rarest I've owned was foil tarmogoyf I pulled from a Future Sight pack.

I'm going to go play some MTGO, but I'll check this thread later.

>I sold them along with all my cards shortly after The Dark came out and I quit Magic.

Ouch. I got into Magic with Tempest, and even then Lotus was only worth a few hundred. Not that I had that much money as a kid.

Interestingly, the most expensive non-power card back then is still worth about the same (Juzam Djinn). It is value riding entirely on nostalgia?

Djinn is played in 93/94.

>blue Hurricane

Man that takes me back.

Its like something off of clickhole