Sup Veeky Forums, question regarding a game I'm working on

Sup Veeky Forums, question regarding a game I'm working on.

For almost a year I've been designing a board game called 'The 12 Towers', it's a massive Sandbox style board game for 2-12 players.

Now the game is just about done, and I'm working on a few tweaks and such, my question is, what's a reliable source to find a board game Publisher?

Apart from game building, I have ZERO knowledge about the inner workings of Board Game Marketing, so hopefully there's a select few out there with information.

The first big step is done, game is complete(ish) and I'm on BGG

boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/202491/12-towers

If you have any useful info on Publishers, please reply, I'm fighting this battle by myself.

Other urls found in this thread:

boardgamegeek.com/thread/322382/game-design-self-publishing-resource-game-designer
superiorpod.com
thegamecrafter.com
printplaygames.com
pandagm.com
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I know nothing about marketing either but it looks fun. I wish you good luck with this.

Maybe it's me, but I don't really get your concept (you can't have anything more vague than "sandbox").
You should maybe think of a motto describing *action and *narration.
Warhammer40k is the game of *battles in the *40th millenium.

Thanks, here's the basics of the game:

It's my attempt at an Open Sandbox game, meaning players can literally do anything they want. This allows for team play, diplomacy, politics, even betrayal.

The concept of the game is for 1 player to control all 12 Towers (Not easy) or eliminate the other players (Also not easy). The core game comes with 600 game cards, ranging from Melee weapons, Siege Engines and Defensive fortification, to spells, dragons and other fun magical stuff.

Players take turns (and if there's 6 or more players, multiple turns are taken at the same time) doing a set amount of actions; Movement, Casting, Attacking, etc. The Sandbox part comes from the board (mostly) players can move in any direction, and set up fortification bases around the Tower (Or charge ahead and rampage someones Tower), it's entirely up to each individual player how to play the game.

To further clarify

Sandbox, RPG, PvP, Board Control

Those are the standard tags I usually use

Oh wow.. thats really neat, but i cant suggest much except for finding out what games like monopoly and boggle were pupblished by. Or changing it i to digital, and then advertising on any online gaming website.

Good point, I'll take a look at what I can find.

And eventually I'll go digital, it definitely has potential as a somewhat-DOTA-esque game

>I'm on BGG

Then use it, ya dingus.

boardgamegeek.com/thread/322382/game-design-self-publishing-resource-game-designer

Hooooly hell, I had no idea this existed, thanks user

wow, this actually looks pretty cool.
I wish i could play it.

It's been a hell of a year making it, hopefully by this September i'll have a Kickstarter going. And next year, on shelves.

Play testing it has been quite fun, I've seen all sorts of players use different styles; Aggressive, defensive, sneaky, greedy, even bizarre storytelling that created an entirely different game (Involved 3 players encountering an event where they found a sorcerers library, so they acted high and claimed they had the knowledge of the Universe.)

What (I hope) really makes this game stand out is the wide range of gameplay types. I've play tested all kinds, 1vs1 quick play, 2 vs 2 vs 2, and the biggest I've tested so far was a 6 vs 6, which ended with some vicious backstabbing.

Also, here's what some of the game cards look like. Like I said, this game is BIG, and there's 600 cards with the core set.

One question. I see you have a BGG account, but just in case... have you familiar with modern boardgames?

>sandbox
>boardgame

This is a fucking meaningless buzzword in this context.

>divided anyway you choose

Hey, I remember one of your earlier threads. I know next to nothing about board games but I wish you the best of luck.

I'd play it.

Bump

Mobas are fucking shit

Modem Boardgames? Negative, what's that?

Yeah I know, I went with saying Sandbox because it piqued more interest. When I first started play testing at some local game stores, I'd say "Hey this is my new RPG game", and I'd hear lots of groans. So I tried "Here's my Sandbox RPG" and the SAME people said "Woah wait what...?"

Indeed, which is why I never play them.

Occasionally I'll day dream and have fucked up visions of my game being Digital. On one hand it'd be awesome to see a Skyrim + GTA V mix, running around an open world driving a catapult going 80mph, but that would be YEARS of development and millions of dollars.

Low key that, I can see something more realistic Baulders Gate or DOTA.

I remember you from last thread.

What changes have you made? IIRC you hadn't even finalised a few of the elements.

Welcome back

Roll to move is completely gone. Everyone starts with a set amount of spaces (5 standard), and that'll increase as you get specific cards and abilities.

Tower cards are done and being printed. THIS was a huge pain in the pass project, but I got a solid foundation on how it works.

When you control a Tower, you gain 3 abilities
Active Ability (With a cost),
Passive Ability (No cost, just happens)
Event Ability (Good for getting spent Power back)

Other than that I've been messing around with the rulebook, but the game is looking pretty solid.

Actual lowercase letters would be way clearer.

I think the card art should be professionally redone as it looks very amateurish.

I have used superiorpod.com

To print cards and books.

Yeah sorry, had to rush the post to get to work on time. More details on the game later

Hello user, I remember you posting a while back, this is cool and inspirational. Any solitaire type game play?

Have you tested with all numbers of players between 2 and 12?

How have 3 people games gone, or any non-even numbered amount of people games? Just looking over things I could see those becoming unbalanced depending on how alliances are made. I could also see it becoming very Game of Thrones-esque.

How is control of towers determined at the start of the game? Is it based on the color you choose, or random?

This game looks neat, definately the genre the lads and I would find interesting.

With the large amount of components it maybe more feasible to work with an existing publisher? Obviously that means you would lose a cut on your work and that stings. Still if resist the temptation to put out a lesser product. IIRC there are several companies that can help you publish your game. I have no idea on thier prices or quality:

thegamecrafter.com
printplaygames.com

Might be best to have some prototypes made and then shop your game around to existing publishers. Or you can go it alone. I wish you luck and look forward to trying your game out one day. Never give up! Never surrender!

From your description it would be more like a smaller scale Civ

I mentioned this game to my buddy who is a veteran board gamer and collector and he said: "do a Kickstarter and use Panda"

pandagm.com

>solitaire type game play

My apologies, I really don't know what that means, other than the standard version.

A three player game usually starts and finishes as a Free-For-All. same with 5 and 7 and 11. 9 can be fun, with a 3vs3vs3 style.

I've written ZERO rules about alliances, I just put the idea that it's there. The rest is up to the players, whether they do a locked team match, or get cocky and betray people.

Everyone starts with ONE tower under their control. This can be done several ways, either by choice/favorite, or random lottery.

As you can see in the OP, there are 12 sections of the board with a large tower. The area surrounding the tower is a Territory.

Over the course of the game you'll gain, and LOSE towers, I wouldn't call it micro managing, but there's definitely more chaos as your control grows, and you'll spread yourself too thin.

Thanks user, I appreciate that! It's all up in the air right now, what to do and where to go, but eventually I'll narrow it down.

Panda? No idea what that is, I'll explore the link

What I meant is... are you up to date on your boardgame knowledge or are you someone that has only played outdated stuff like Chess, Monopoly, Uno, Magic: The Gathering....

Hey OP, your idea looks neat, if you need some better illustrations I can help you.

Just a stylistic note, but you should have each possible sub-action on its own line, for ease of reference.

Ahh gotcha, technically that could go either way. I'm 30, and I've been playing board games for a looong time. Parts of the mechanics are based loosely on my old favorites; Talisman, MTG, Risk, etc. Recently I bought a few games to expand on some ideas. So it's half & half.

Thanks, I could definitely use some illustration help, but right now I have $0.00 to spend on the artistic aspect. All of the images are my own work. You're welcome to show me your own work and we can discuss future ideas, or take any one of the cards I posted and work on something similar/updated.

Roger that

Just tell me where I could find you and I will send you a little of my work, I'm willing to work for free since I'm a student on vacation and I want your game to succeed.

I'm also a graphic designer proficient with InDesign and Illustrator if you need any of that for the rulebook etc.

>dice are resting in a consistent location
>it's not the tops of the towers

OP do you have contact info or a throwaway email you can provide? I have contacts with investors if you are interested.

I'm not the OP but do you have contact info? I can pay seperate gaming related job (layout of a single blank spell card).

OP here, you can all e-mail me at
[email protected]

I'd definitely like to get people more involved with the game and it's progress, so far it's just been me.

>fantasy
Played out, a different theme would help. Maybe make it a Dark Tower ripoff.