If someone gets petrified by a gorgon or basilisk or whatever, what kind of stone do they turn into?

If someone gets petrified by a gorgon or basilisk or whatever, what kind of stone do they turn into?

Marble

That's calcified information.

I think its salt or marble

I've always taken it for granite

I actually go with coal. It's roughly the same density as a living creature and it's also made of carbon.

Every type of organic tissue turns into a different kind of stone/mineral. That's how unpetrifying works too.
But what tissue turns into what kind of stone/mineral is different from gorgon to gorgon (or whatever does the petrification) and must be learned about before weaving a spell to undo the petrification.

Doesn't matter, the stone is metamorphic

God dammit Veeky Forums

I don't know, but I doubt it's a very gneiss way to go

I always assumed it was whatever stone is common to the area.

Quartz for me!

I'm pretty sure it's not salt, salt statue has very low resistance to weather and wildlife.

I like to think it depends on your alignment. A lawful good character gets turned into white marble, while a Chaotic Evil douchebag becomes obsidian.

Not sure about the other alignments.

They turn rock hard, baby.

Depends on the worth of the person.

Got me an idea.

Think of witch trials in which the suspect's death was a given, but could be used to assess innocence or guilty. Absolution would be given posthumously.

Maybe you'd expose your suspects to a gorgon or basilisk and the material they became was the basis for your judgement: noble, innocent souls would become marble; scummy, guilty souls would become sandstone.

Or the man who tells you to go kill a gorgon is actually planning to sell your corpse/statue.

Lot's of potential there.

This whole thing is just "reaction images: the comic". I love it.

Perhaps corruption (in systems with corruption levels) is a better representation than alignment, since fuck alignment.

Could be that there's varying forms of it, that different curses, creatures, or differences of character result in different petrifications? Some turn to gold like Midas, others into granite or marble, maybe some into bronze, or something stranger like glass.

Doesn't work. An evil man with a black soul could still be innocent of the particular crime he was being accused of.

Still, the court in question could still justifiably be glad he was executed, so they might not care.

They turn into whatever stone is common in the area.
If your GM has not done a detailed geological writeup of the native stone for the local area then he is a shit GM.

I once had a GM who couldn't even fully describe the local ecosystem from the point of view of a mosquito

Some GMs are just unsaveable

>Doesn't work.
Neither did dunking women in water to find witches, but people still did it. It's a superstition. The thing is, people who died naturally could be absolved of the charges - so the alabaster innocents could be stationed in an hall of martyrs, or something like it, while the guilty would be stationed in an hall of shame.

Let's save time and directly reach the point you want to reach:
> gorgon quarry

Unless someone stops the court and demands the evil man be freed because of his innocence from this specific crime, despite all the evil he did before.

Fucking Batman

A cockatrice turned me into sadstone