What are some good Veeky Forumscore books?

What are some good Veeky Forumscore books?

The wheel of time series

Wheel of time, Dune, Discworld.
If you want unfinished stuff i guess A Song if ice and fire ( i preffer the Tales of Dunk & Egg in the same universe).

>Tales of Dunk & Egg in the same universe
I've got that book as "Knight of the seven kingdoms". Bretty good, smaller scale, interesting people.

Dunk & Egg is the best no-magic fantasy I've read.

Dresden Files is good for urban fantasy

:^)

Wheel of Time
Locke Lamora
Bartimaeus Trilogy
Forever War
Ender's Game
The Stranger

The Book of the New Sun

Since we already have a book thread I'll ask here:

In several different fantasy authors' works(most memorably the Dark Tower series by Stephen King, and the Stones of Power series by David Gemell) I've seen the name Roland used to signify someone who fate or chance favors.

Does anyone know the origin and justification of that usage? What's the source material they all derive from?

The only historical reference I could find was Charlemagne's knight, but that doesn't seem enough to establish a trope.

Anything by stephen brust is pretty bloody amazing. Especially his vlad taltos novels.

The Black Company.

Robin Hobb's Elderling stuff is good shit too.

Damn good recommendations so far.

I would add
The Once and Future King (Best Arthurian Legendry)
some H.P. Lovecraft (The Color Out of Space, The Rats in the Walls, The Whisper in the Dark, The Shadow Out of Time, The Shadow Over Innsmouth, The Call of Cthulhu, The Mountains of Madness, etc.)
A Princess of Mars (aka John Carter)
Foundation (First book, forget the rest)
Conan (All the Robert E. Howard stuff)
Discworld (Color of Magic for full read through, Guards! for sampler)
Tolkien (Hobbit AND LotR Trilogy)
Mistborn (First book is best, rest is okay. Lies of Locke Lamorra is similar and better)

King chose Roland because of a poem

Nah. It's okay at best, in a starving genre.

>A Princess of Mars (aka John Carter)

I'm torn, because this book is a mix of great and terrible. Some parts of it are wonderful, like the world building and some of the too-corny-for-anyone-other-than-a-southerner-to-say dialogue, but the plot structure is a mess, the romance awkward, and John himself is a relic from a time when heroes could be unapologetically ideal.

It's worth reading, mostly for its place in history, but I hesitate to call it good.

But user, Dune was never finished

Search "the Matter of France". Roland was an actual soldier, but his story was subject to romacization by many medievel poems and songs to the point of making him pretty much a French, obscure King Arthur

It's not a 4-book series?

>ignoring the two best sequels

The Nightside series is great, similarly from the same author, the Secret Histories series is good as well. I haven't read any of Simon Green's other works, but his track record is pretty solid in my books, so I'd recommend them as well.

Seconding the Bartimaeus Trilogy, those books are fucking amazing.

And The Lies of Locke Lamora are pretty good as well. In a similar vein to that are the Kingkiller Chronicles, just be warned the main character is a major mary sue (Seriously now, Kvothe is the biggest mary sue I've ever fucking read. Doesn't mean the books aren't good.)

Also seconding the Black Company. The later books I didn't quite like, but at least the first two (Three?) were enjoyable.

And anything by C.J.Cherryh. Woman makes some amazing worlds.

Also, the Painted Man and it's following books are good.

Yo I will second Painted Man/Warded Man if you're American, it is hecka good

>Ender's Game

>Forever War
>tfw happy ending

Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman, mein nigger. Anything done by them I really enjoy.

If you don't mind reading PG books but have a good imagination to make it nt PG I recommend the dragon codex series. Except the silver dragon codex. That one is shit.

R.A. Salvatore is good to. Especially if you like the Dragonlance setting style without being the same place.

The Dragon Lance setting was my first introduction to fantasy settings so I absolutely love everything about it and I recommend most of it.

>pic unrelated

I'll fight you fggt

Locke Lamora!

The Taltos series is amazing inspiration for most of my assassin type characters

hell's yes!
Totally would love runnin a campaign of this.

I'm always so surprised when these threads come up and nobody suggestions Steven Erickson Malazan book of the fallen. It's honestly one of the best fantasy series I've ever read.

Any of the previous are good, and to throw my two cents in the elenium than the tamuli series by David eddings. Death hate cycle by Weiss and Hickman, and Dresden files if it wasn't mentioned.

Stephen King's Dark Tower series and interconnected multiverse.

Sapkowski's Witcher series, the world acclaimed novel and anthology series the videogames are sequel to.

Can highly recommend Harold Lamb's narrative nonfiction (Iron men and saints, Flame of Islam, march of the Barbarians which covers Tamerlane and Genghis Khan).

For a modern book series I like(d) Demon Cycle by Peter Brett.
First book? Fucking golden. Doomguy I mean warded man killing demons and doesn't afraid of anything.
Second book? Very good. Sand-king killing demons and doesn't afraid of anything.
Third book? Disappointing at first (little of Doomguy, less of sand-king) but vastly improves and enriches Sand-king's wifey who had seemed like a shrill bitch before but ends up being grate character. Perfect example of cunning sexy queen. But starts to flounder elsewhere and with too much emphasis on the sandrat Spartan-Ninja-Jihadists. Less demon killing.
Fourth book? Shitshow. Inordinate emphasis on spartan ninja jihadists, too many points of view, major POV is literally who daughter-cousin-somethings of Sand-king, second half of the book goes GRRM all of a sudden and kills off characters in rapid succession.
Fifth one isn't out yet and thankfully it should bring focus back to killing demons. Is final book.

I dig the whole runes/wards business and think it can offer inspirations for people running Veeky Forums stuff.

The correct answer was the Black Company series

The short stories and first three main books are good, but it goes downhill from there

Enders game is shit.

I'd also suggest that a lot of real-world myth would be relevant as well.

Greek myth: Illiad, Odyssey, Theogony
Judeo-Christian: Bible (esp. Genesis, Exodus, Revelations, first few chapters of Ezekiel)
Northern European Myth: Beowulf, Kalevala, Poetic Edda, Prose Edda
Ancient Mesopotamian: Epic of Gilgamesh

It's funny, because the Heroes of the Lance shouldn't work as well as they do. You'd think it had to be shit if you just knew that it was the adventures of an angsty half-elf town between two worlds, Dwarf Dwarferson, an edgelord on par with Coldsteel the Hedgehog, a couple of white Native Americans with 80's hair, and a fucking kender. It's corny as shit, but it's played absolutely straight and somehow succeeds on earnestness alone.

Godwalker

You are the only person I've seen who likes the series after the books of the south, shit feels like fanfiction Lady joining the party and fucking croaker no shit you saw this spoiler from a mile away. I haven't checked but am I the only one that liked the Raven's end bit in Juniper? Seriously I really like him dying by slipping and drowning in a bath at the end of the second book. the whole lol faked death again shit really ruined parts of Silver spike due to raven fatigue, it also contributes to the non canoness of Silver spike

Although my heresy is that my favorite book from the series is the Silver spike only because of old man fish and co.

David Gemmell's works. Specifically his Drenai series.

R. Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber.

David Eddings Elenium and Tamuli trilogies [but only as a introduction for young teens to fantasy, definitley not for an adult reader though].

The Lions of Al-Rassan

I've been listening to the Powder Mage Trilogy on audiobook and it's bretty gud. Love Field Marshall Tamas as a character.

Mostly yes, but depends on the adult. Not everyone likes the grim and gritty fantasy that's most popular now. Eddings' stuff is light and easy going, and some adults prefer that. His works are still some of my favourite, even as an adult. But damnit, Eddings, could you not recycle the the same damn plot for all your works.

the old kingdom series is the best answer to "good necromancer, wat do?"

>Kingkiller Chronicles
I found the setting to be meh, at first the magi interested me but Sanderson does a better job.
>The worlds of Sanderson, with the style of the Kingkiller dude with the characters and dialogs of Abercombie/first law books.
Perfect fantasy best seller.

I loved the first one, but after it the world started to turn shit, and the not muslims and the herb girls annoyed the hell of me. Plus the prota ended like a killjoy.

Don't forget the lawful-good knight.
He died for our sins

I love Eddings, I'm reading it now in english (the one about Belgarath/Gandalf the snarky hobbo origin story) and it's pretty neat. Not high literature but I'm smiling during half the book..

Kitiara was best girl.

I have no feelings on Raven's death(s) one way or the other. Raven's always been characterized as a capable man who has some serious aversion to facing his real problems; faking his own death to run away from Darling fits that characterization.

I honestly don't remember much of what happened in the Silver Spike, only that his actual death was suitably inglorious and that Darling's husband had an interesting characterization moment when the two of them left the picture. Most of that book involved the Black Company severing ties with whatever was going on in the Lady's old lands so they could move south and get back into the interesting stuff so I'm not surprised it's a bit washy.

I'm suprised no ones mentioned way of kings. Also, pretty much anything by Brandon Sanderson, Warbreaker, Mistborn etc. Also the night angel trilogy, and the lightbringer series.

Or the Gully dwarfs. Or the Draconians than were cool as fuck.

that is simply the best description of Raist, and yet i love the mopey fuck

Night Angel trilogy is pretty awful IMO. It just reads like the most generic and charmless post-ASoIaF edgy fantasy with some absolutely terrible names and cliche characters.

I think a Veeky Forums book thread can safely assume Tolkien until proven otherwise.

Also forgot generic warrior guy

Anyone else feels that the Dragonlance series age terribly?

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. Started in the 70s, and only just finished up a few years ago.

this

any god D&D novels ?

Dragonlance Chronicals aged poorly. Dragonlance Legends aged like fine wine.

War of Souls aged like fine milk. (Not that anybody liked it to begin with)

Nope, my sisters both readed it at more or less eighteen, they loved it. They consum a great deal of those distopian books than are so common now tough, but at least they read more than they see tv.

I love dragonlance because it is literally a game of D&D. You can practically hear the dice roll. I even know what kind of person would play each character.

Tanis: DM's best bro, comfortable playing the face, gets slight preferential treatment.
Raistlin: Power gamer, plays an edgy character, but is a good guy in real life. Will be the guy that is like "okay, so the campaign has ended and we are all level 20, anybody want to go kill some gods for fun?"
Caramon: Raistlin's player's friend so they decided to share a backstory.
Tika: Caramon's player's girlfriend, joins partway through the campaign at Caramon's insistence, cuing groans all around. She is clueless at first, but quickly gets into the rollplaying aspect, earning the respect of the rest of the party.
Tas: DM's little bro. Nobody wanted him there, and he managed to make an absolutely infuriating character concept, despite that, he managed to endear himself to the rest of the party.
Sturm: Average fa/tg/uy. No-nonsense player, tragically moves away partway through the campaign.

The zamonia books by Walter Moers are great. Incredible amounts of fantastic ideas perched into them.
Joe Abercrombies Books for really fucking good low fantasy.
Personally I have a thing for Jules Verne, the writing style of his time is a bit hard to get into though.

I hope not, I'm just about to start the fourth book. So far everything has been awesome.

Flint: Grizzled wargaming veteran. Likes to see new blood in the hobby. Seeing that the game is getting crowded with new additions, he concludes that his work here done, and he is needed elsewhere.
Goldmoon: GM PC, didn't want any of his players to be a cleric due to the setting, but they needed a healer, worked better for his plot to do it this way anyways.
Riverwind: Quiet guy who the GM tries to get more involved by giving him lots of roleplaying opportunities, but never really gets into it.

Hmm, yes I have to agree with this. Legends seem to have a timeless quality, while Chronicles feels directly very narrowly at younger readers.