MTG SPOILER GENERAL - this time its real I swear! edition

1W
Creature - Spirit
Flying

Sacrifice Selfless Soul: Creatures you control gain indestructible until end of turn.
2/1

1RR
Sorcery
Escalate 1 (Pay this cost for each mode chosen beyond the first.)

Choose one or both -

* Target player discards all cards in his or her hand, then draws that many cards.

* United Resistance deals 4 damage to target creature.

* United Resistance deals 3 damage to target opponent.

Liliana disapointed, but these are really strong cards.

Will this help in any way the spirits deck? It has good value for 2 mana, but I am not sure indestructibility until EoT is quite useful

Until languish goes out don't hold your breath

Not sure which format you're interested in but in standard its a good beater with evasion and a strong ability against sweepers, in modern it can protect a groskol captain until the second copy comes out. I like it

Literally two other threads beat you to it

Saged, reported, called moot, called your mom, called the ICPO

Didn't see them. why not put a /mtg/ or some searchable tag?

I hope this isn't real. This is supposed to be Liliana using the chain veil to dangerous degrees and that's a fairly weak walker.

I dunno about a straight spirits deck but its a fairly decent value add to most white decks. A playset can allow you to stack up your weenies.

Welp that's all the mythics
>tfw no Ludevic

Agreed. I was expecting a 5 or 6 mana planeswalker with amazingly strong abilities.

He could still be rare!
nah, they've fucked us again. Reveal can't be based mad scientist unleashing his masterpiece to fight a losing war, it's gotta be the fucking avengers show up and piss all over the flavor and established atmosphere.

fuck now I'm remembering when each block was amazingly flavorful and we weren't told what we were supposed to enjoy. ;_;

Normally I don't bitch about planeswalkers in modern magic but this is fucking bullshit

The jacetice league was a mistake

I don't see any deck that would run this

WB control that runs secure the wastes, Gideon, and Sorin. Throw Lilly in there as well. It's a gamble sure, but payoff is potentially worth.

That mythical five-color Superfriends deck

*Gideonwatch

I like it. Could be a neat trick in Aether Vial based decks.

Why is her art so shit. She's even doing the same silly pose in the jacetice league card here

>Why is her art so shit.
The fuck?
>She's even doing the same silly pose
Blindfag, pls.

finally a good burn

>moot
Who?

>sorcery speed

Don't you mean hot garbage?

This

I remember the days when lightning bolts and incinerates were printed at common. Now Maro bakes us some fresh shit, straight from his autistic asshole.

I knew I was overlooking something. fuck why can't we ever have good burns?

>Volcanic Hammer
I never asked for this

How good do you think this card will be in limited?

I was a fan of sandsteppe outcast, ghirapur gearcrafter, and eldrazi skyspawner, but this new card doesn't have as great a rate as those other ones. Still seems okay

Will the addition of the 1B discard two cards ability make it great? I found it a bit expensive. Ghoulsteed was mediocre and Stitchwing Skaab was good but not amazing.

>blaming the lead designer for power level concerns
This is a development issue. If development aren't able to play good burn decks in standard, it's their job to decide that burn needs some love.

>calling people autistic
>freaking out at the easiest possible target
Irony'd

Honestly, the problem is that a good Burn deck has many of the same issues as a good Control deck.

The best possible game for a Burn Deck is one where you get to completely ignore your opponent and shoot them until they're dead. Maybe sometimes you kill one or two of their guys, but for the most part your entire strategy is to interact with them as little as possible except to prevent them from actually getting to play.

Similarly, a Control deck wants to tie down their opponent and stop them from playing until the Control deck gets to vomit out a threat and kill them with it.

The reason Midrange keeps being king of Standard is because Midrange is the one that tends to actually get into combat and combat is what tests well with the Standard crowd.

Am I wrong to think Lilli is hot garbage and Tamiyo is good?

Nope, seems to be the case

There is no need to go for one of the extremes. at least a single good burn is fun and might help red to close out those final hit points.

I'd hit that.

Why Chandra always give such autistic response, wasn't Red the color of creativity?

As weird as it is to think, I'm not against that mentality. Magic is ultimately a game and should at least have some semblance of fun to it. Solely Control or Burn not having any real purpose other than 'keep your opponent from having fun' doesn't do them much credit.

However, I agree with that burn should get at least something juicy. You can't shut down an entire deck with just 4 cards, but there's no reason that we can't get a solid set of burns here and there. My question is this: What's wrong with the Lightning Axe / Fiery Temper combo?

Tamiyo is clearly a superior girl, this is why she can't be a Jacetice LEague Member, they are either loser or piece of shit.

>get third return to zendikar set cut due to jewery and breeding three blocks a year
>rework it into innistrad block
>still make the original aspects, final Titan and full gatewatch formation incredibly shoehorned

HOW
O
W

It's a lot like jaya Ballard's quotes actually

Another autistic dement

New friend over here

That seems like a really nice deal. I'm envisioning a WU deck with it to make use of scrying and discard outlets to try and summon off-color planeswalkers as well. That's probably a janky use though.

>Can't retort so I'll call him autistic

This. Jaya Ballard is not as charming as nostalgia makes her out to be.

Lava Burst's flavour text sucks ass.

Red is the color of passion. directness, and snap, impulsive decisions. It's not the color for planning ahead. If you ask what someone like Chandra is going to do, the answer is 9 out of 10 times going to be "I dunno set it on fire".

It is, but that doesn't mean every Red character represents that aspect of Red.

Blue + Red is creativity. Red is impulse and blue is intellect.

Ble + Red is MAD SCIENCE

UR is random steampunk quirkiness and absolutely nothing else.

>The only set I know any UR cards from is Ravnica

Beautiful.

>maro dicklickers tell him red spells as sorceries makes sense because you have to 'impulsively' cast them, not hold them for the ideal time like blue's calculated instants
>he likes the idea
>sorceries ever since
>"don't blame maro!"
maro has been using 'flavor' shit like this to justify blue getting things it shouldn't and shitting on other colors for years.

To be honest they had the whole Steam & Eletricity stuff even in Shittistrad.

Might as well throw G in there so you can hardcast anything if you have to with Oath of Nissa.

Good call. Plus Green can help offer some ramp to cast things faster.

Bant superfriends seems surprisingly viable.

Guess this is as good of a place to ask as any.

So I've been out of the game for almost 10 years.

Is mill still something you can do?

>>autistic
I don't think you know what that means.
She didn't say "Well Gideon I'm going to set them on fire because I am a pyromancer and control of fire has a relatively limited array of options compared to necromancy or telepathy or nature magic or the power of friendship, hence why this is a mediocre burn card instead of something actually new or interesting."

Gideon is White and expects strategy, tactics, and a plan going into battle.

Chandra is red and wants to set shit on fire. Chandra has always leaned more to red's "Goblins, dragons, and fire elementals smashing shit to smithereens" aspect than she has the love, passion, emotion, whatever aspect.

All her named cards are some variation of burn, frequently targeting multiple opponents at once. Outrage, Ignition, and Fury being the best examples.

The text is wizards lightherated acknowledgment that chandra (along with the rest of the jacetice league) is fairly one dimensional. It's magic's "thought I'd try shooting my way out-mix things up a little"

Hopefully kaladesh is less big bad guy of the week and gives a chance to develop the personalities of the watch more, considering it's the plane chandra was orphaned on theyd be idiots not to try SOME character development

Tl;dr jace's dick turns bad girls better

What's impulsive about Jori-En exactly? I'm pretty sure she's just red because her skin is red.

You can. It's still not overly viable. I think there was one part around magic origins where it was a more solid option, at least in limited thanks to that one sphinx card.

that's a really shitty Lilliana

+1 kills nothing
-2 is a weak draw engine/graveyard fuel

This bitch is never leaving standard

That's just Blue in Innistrad, you dink.

Red on Innistrad is Townsfolk, Vampires, Werewolves, Devils.

Pretty much the only Red cards on Innistrad with the "steampunk" aesthetic are Geistblast, Harness the Storm, and Rage Thrower. That's 3 cards out of 168.

Hm, what are the core cards for it now?

Sphynx's Tutelage is a $2 uncommon, it's fringe but it's viable.

It's a madness and delirium enabler that recurs both itself and the 1/1 flier.

The zombie comes back tapped but the flier doesn't, which is nice

I think it's stronger than people think at first glance

My fake is better.

Do we really know for sure if Pia and Kiran are dead, or is it just assumed?

It could be really good in BWTokens and Soul Sisters for Modern.
Standard doesn't really need more power in white.

>"Some relic hunters have given up exploring and gone to fight the Eldrazi. But I know our work is more important than ever. The secrets we uncover could lead to the world's salvation."

She's Red because she's daring, choosing to take very risky actions because of the great potential payoff.

Is not like there are much more "useful" Red card either.

So what pairs well with it? I see these clue tokens that let me draw cards, I could use that to accelerate my deck while milling theirs?

Maybe, but just draw spells and counterspells work well too.

What exactly are you trying to say here?
The most relevant Red cards on Innistrad were things like Falkenrath Aristocrat, Huntmaster, Hellrider, Bonfire of the Damned, and Past in Flames.

The "useful" Red cards on Innistrad had nothing to do with a steampunk aesthetic.

Oh, I figure those would be a given.

Like, go with a standard blue setup of semi-lockdown, then using the clues I generate to trigger the mill whenever I have spare mana. Maybe find some other use for the tokens, though I don't know what.

I thought today was the day where they'd release all the cards. We still gotta wait for them to comb through the commons?

In her Duels campaign it's pretty confirmed. Your dad gets murdered and you hold his body when Baral storms the village you've been hiding in after you accidentally burned down half a city block when your powers manifested.

Your mom is apparently killed in the fighting as well, but you're immediately put in chains and led to your execution so it's a little more ambiguous and I wouldn't be surprised if she came back

Chandra's origin is by far the shittiest childhood though. Street rat that gets into scraps with the law, no desire or aptitude to be an artificer on an entire plane of artifacts, powers manifest and you accidentally destroy an artifact foundry. Your parents have to quit their jobs and flee the city with you because the captain of the guard wants to make an example out of you.

Relocate to an outskirts village, fight off predatory wildlife, finally get settled into your new life until the guards finally track you down.

They burn the village to the ground, kill your parents and frame you for the destruction. Can't even mourn as they shackle you and lead you to your public execution. Your planeswalker spark ignites and breaks the suppression magic on you, you incinerate the guards and everyone around you as you teleport away. Oh, by the way, you're fucking eleven years old as all this is happening.

Chandra had a hard life.

Idiot.

Ok, so I just started looking.

What the hell is the weird colorless mana symbol? Is it just colorless mana, or is there restrictions on it?

You can only spend colorless mana on it.

It's colorless mana, and colorless has to be spent on it.

Pretty big reason why the painlands were in Origins.

It's just colourless mana. Generic mana now only shows up in costs.
Some Eldrazi have colourless costs specifically.

What if I generate it? Can I spend it on anything?

It's just colorless mana. In costs, it means that card can ONLY be paid for with colorless mana.

It's not a new mechanic, it's just to denote the difference between, say, 1GG, 1 can be paid with any source or color of mana, and lands and effects that give colorless, and now eldrazi which can only be paid for with colorless mana

It basically saves a line of text saying "Pay for this spell only with colorless mana" from all the eldrazi cards

Yes. Because cards have ALWAYS produced colorless mana.

No card, in the history of Magic, has ever produced "generic" mana, the mana cost symbolized by {1}.

Ok, so it's just a symbol thing, and not some new mechanic.

Correct. If we'd gone straight from "add colorless mana" to "add "? Nobody would be confused.

But they used the generic mana symbol as a band-aid, and ended up causing confusion later down the road.

Basically, yes.

To put it in the context of familiar cards, here's a mockup I made when the symbol was spoiled.

It's a 3-mana walker that eats utility dudes, wins all day with goyf trades, fuels the yard, and protects itself flat better than LOTV, the most expensive plainswalker on market currently (aside from special versions). What more do you want?

Ok, back to mill.

I used to run a blue/black version of it, does black still help it out? Or is mono blue the way to go for mill?

Yeah, Gideon only had to Robin hood his way through life as an orphan, got thrown in maximum security prison, then when he finally gets a shot at redemption he kills his only friends that he considered family and is tossed into another world and they don't even pronounce his name correctly.

Blue discards from library, black discards from hand. Monochrome decks aren't that strong at the moment so I don't see any reason why you couldn't continue to play U/B like you're used to

It's just colorless. When it's in a mana cost, it specifies that it can only be paid with colorless mana. That's the Eldrizi's gimic for the last couple sets.

Gideon should have chosen a mana color with decent removal and not tried playing Ishmael and the Whale

It's okay though, he'll probably be given a chance to martyr himself and we'll get elspeth or another white femwalker and jace's harem will be complete

Right now I'm just trying to compile cards that are possibly useful for the deck archtype, haven't even gotten to black yet. I'll have to look, but it's been so long since I built a deck, this is going to be weird. I don't even remember good land comps.

Sphinx's tutelage is the big threat that mill has right now.

2U Enchantment, whenever you draw a card target opponent puts the top 2 cards of his library into graveyard, if they're both nonlands and share a color, repeat this process.

Can pay 5U to draw a card and then discard a card

Multiple tutelage out plus card draw effects can burn through a library real quick