Howdy. I'm looking into running a game using Glorantha as a setting...

Howdy. I'm looking into running a game using Glorantha as a setting, but it appears as though it's now jointly supported by both RuneQuest and HeroQuest as systems.

Can anyone who has experience with both or either let me know which one they'd recommend using, or give me a rundown of the broader differences?

One of them is more narrative and the other rule based, I know that.

If you want gritty, King of Dragon Pass type stuff, use Runequest. If you want esoteric, King of Sartar type stuff, go with Heroquest

>I'm looking into running a game using Glorantha

Pls be in Brno

I haven't played HeroQuest, but RuneQuest 6 is a really, REALLY good system. haven't seen the new one by Chaosium, to be fair.

RuneQuest 6 is my favorite system, and I highly recommend it. It's changing to Muthras for continued support now that RuneQuest 7 is being made (as a copy to RuneQuest 2 with minmaxing added to the system).

It really comes down to this Of course, many of the HQ sourcebooks are good anyway, since they're rules light.

I read that as "It's changing to Muatra". That could be interesting..

im shilling

>Pls be in Brno
I'm on the internet, friendo.

Well, you could maybe use RQ as a basis for an Elder Scrolls game.

I believe that's what the UESRPG in fact did.

Runequest is crunchy versatile d100 game and is basically the foundation of BRP, it's versatile and fun and uses hit-zone damage, so both players and NPC's can lose hands, legs, heads in combat.

To an unarmoured man a solid hit with a sharp sword is a probable life-threatening wound, in Rune Quest as much as real life.

Heroquest is more abstract, apparently less crunchy and a bit more freeform, though I can't say how exactly, probably nothing like Runequest at all.

A bump in the hope this thread finds the right of life.

I can't stand playing over the net. Need that direct human contact, which is strange because otherwise I am introverted schizoid.

I'm not an expert on Runequest, I own the book but there is a lot there. Concept is simple enough as a player though. You have skills on your character sheet with a number beside them. Roll under or equal to that number on d% to succeed. And I think combat is active defense.

Heroquest has a very similar mechanic. You have a list of abilities and a number beside each of them. Roll that number or under to succeed. Then there are masteries for every time your skill increases past an increment of twenty (so 21 would be 1W, 31 would be 11W, 41 would be 1W2). Masteries increase your result by a bump for each you have. If you're already at a critical result then it bumps your opponent down (every roll is opposed, even if it's a roll to climb a wall - if that needs a roll at all).

One major difference can be seen if you look at character sheets for each game. Runequest has a bunch of skills listed out with blanks for the number and then stats like STR, DEX, CON, etc from 3-18. Heroquest is a blank sheet. Every ability you have is made up.

Of the two games only Heroquest will actually have Glorantha stuff in the book (unless Chaosium has released it's version of Runequest already which I don't think it has) in the Heroquest: Glorantha edition. I only have Heroquest 2 so I don't know what has changed.

Personally I would go with Heroquest over Runequest, but that is only because I think it's an easier system to play off of players since there are less numbers involved and I don't want to need to stat everything up before hand, I am lazy.

>minmaxing

Where on earth did you conjure that up from?

Barbarian bump.

Not the same dude, but it seems like RQ7 is veering more down the big damn hero-route than its predecessors.
Dunno nuthin bout minmaxing, tho.

I know that it's putting a lot more emphasis on the Gloranthan runes by tying them into the character creation and the gameplay. I just don't see how that's minmaxing.

bump

Looking at RQ Essentials, I see a lot of rules for special effects. Seems like a lot of micro-management...

Nope. RQ6 might be a lot of things, but micromanaging is not one of them.

So am I supposed to constantly read up the rules for various special effects during combat? Am I supposed to know all of them from the top of my head?

Unless you insist on making life difficult for yourself, you'll have those effects printed out and available at the table. The first couple of fights will probably be clusterfucks moving at a snail's pace, but the combat mechanics and effects go unclustered and fluid very quickly.

They made a blog saying you can invest heavily in a few skills at character creation instead of spreading out the numbers.

So a starting character can have a 95 combat skill, but it implies that you sacrifice investing in a variety of skills to do this.

If you want to make it super easy and you have an android phone/tablet they have an app for it for $0.99

Well, I always loved CoC, so I am naturally curious.

>I always loved CoC
>I am naturally curious

You go through PC's like candy, don't you?

Well, my CoC GM has always been on the very lenient side, so I can't confirm. But I can see how this can easily be the case.

Hey, I'm from Brno, I can join you.