What would a space opera be like if the dominant culture was Chinese or Japanese instead of American?

What would a space opera be like if the dominant culture was Chinese or Japanese instead of American?

Other urls found in this thread:

goodreads.com/book/show/26118426-ninefox-gambit
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chung_Kuo_(novel_series)
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

literally Firefly

Mecha.

>Firefly
>Like one Chinese character at most, basically an extra

Try again

Cowboy Bebop

The culture though. Very eastern. In fact, the main source of antagonism in the show was pretty clearly the western aligned elements of the original colonization ships reacting to the more totalitarian alignment of the eastern majority.

Gay

The culture is mainly Wild West. There's some Chinese influence, but it's clearly mostly American.

You can recite all the goodfeels and philosophy that Whedonfags like to try and bring up all you want, but that show was only superficially Chinese at best.

Like the Chinese cultural influence is a main talking point of fans of the show, and a selling point, but it's barely if ever present.

And it bears repeating, NO CHINESE CHARACTERS

Final Fantasy 7 but in space

No one here is Chinese enough to know.

The celestial bureaucracy and everyone who lives under it

>Nadesico on low tier

kill yourself baka

>Lexx
>Garbage tier
and what ugly, hot garbage it was. I could wallow in it quite gleefully, that putrid pile.

>Voyager and firefly in the same tier
Did anybody actually like Voyager?

The Chinese influence in Firefly is more economic than anything else. Yeah characters speak Mandarin occasionally but that's mostly because the culture just reflects the fact the Chinese built everything in that setting.

Culturally, it's just the Wild West but the women occasionally wear silk dresses.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes is pure Japanese space opera. You should all watch it. It's a masterpiece.

So you're not disagreeing

>B5
>not God Tier
pls, it did the multi-season arc so much better than DS9.

No, just elaborating and building on what you said.

There is a conspicuous Chinese influence, but not in the way a lot of fanboys think.

But all of the Alliance officials who hassle the party are white. All of the aristocrats and nobles and rich guys who buddy up to the Alliance are white. The scientists who built River were white. The Kai Leng alpha build who hunted them in Serenity was a black dude.

I never once got the impression the Alliance fought the Unification Wars to appease the Chinese overlords.

>The Expanse
>Mid-Tier
Nah

Neo-german space nazis.

>Japanese
Humanity goes extinct as high suicide rates and low birth rates devastate the population. Only android wafus/husbandos survive.

>nazis
Kaiser > Fuhrer
Wilhelm even had a better 'stache.

Space Battleship Yamato

So the main difference is that tactics are entirely based on forming semicircles?

>Expanse Mid Tier
>Firefly not High/God Tier
>New Galactica above Firefly and Expanse
>Enterprise above Garbage Tier

Place the gun to your head and pull the trigger repeatedly

>Did anybody actually like Voyager?
Once you come to terms with the fact that they botched the premise by not giving proper deference to the gravity of the situation of being stranded in a distant part of the galaxy with a divided crew, abandon any hope of character consistency or continuity between episodes, and accept the show as mindless entertainment, it's actually somewhat enjoyable. It's by no means Firefly tier, but it's not terrible.

Not much japanese culture there that I remember. I'd say a space opera with high japanese influence would just be a higher scale 80's cyberpunk setting, with more space stuff.

>that feeling when you're world building a kaiser reich in space essentially

Feels good. user you have good taste.

I know this is bait, and yet still I must respond...

BSG is better than Firefly? DS9 is better than TOS and B5? Enterprise is better than Dark Matter? It burns my eyes to even look at this shit.

Firefly deserves High-Mid tier but anything above that is kind of delusional. It is really good, and a pretty unique kind of show, but it's not the end-all be-all of serialized sci-fi fans like to say it is. It never really got the chance to show us where it could go.

And frankly, without Fillion, Baldwin, or Tudyk it never would have been as good as it was.

You say that like it's a bad thing

That guy's just trolling. For a while he used to make thinly veiled troll posts with his list as the OP image. Ignore his shit.

>And frankly, without Fillion, Baldwin, or Tudyk it never would have been as good as it was.
And Gina Torres and Jewel Staite. Basically, if it weren't for most of the actors, Firefly wouldn't really have worked very well. Like, if you replaced them with tax collectors or sanitation workers or something, I'm pretty sure it would've been a flop.

The Alliance is pretty neatly divided into anglo and sino planets user. They even have two capitals, one per culture: Londinum and Sinhon.
As far as I remember the sino parts of the setting were only ever shown when Serenity went rescuing Inara from the nigger spy.

Outlaw Star sort of

The first step in answering this question would be asking:
What is chinese culture like?

+1 totalitarianism
-1 farming

>Chinese space opera
Romance of the Three Kingdoms in space?

That would be awesome.

Way more unique than yet another WWII parallel.

There's space opera written by a chinese guy.

goodreads.com/book/show/26118426-ninefox-gambit

Nazis were already appealing to the Kaiser cult, it's not much different in effect. Especially when everyone strips the Kaiser of all of the uncool royal shit and just makes him a slightly cooler Führer.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chung_Kuo_(novel_series)
Chung Kuo is a future dominated by China, but it's not exactly space opera.
If it was a Chinese setting, it would probably be something like Romance of the Three Kingdoms or the other classics. Probably an emphasis on an imperial court or something. If it was written by Chinese, it would be focused on scientists or perfect gommunist engineers

Seconding that this would be awesome.
Would the main characters pilot unique ships? Or just be particularly exceptional pilots with slightly customized models?
inb4 Lu-Bu just rolls out in a space suit with a spear and takes down whole ships.

Radioactive, and constantly bickering back and forth about the Rape of Terra.

>Legend of the Galactic Heroes
I found it funny how prevalent honorable suicide was for cultures supposedly based on Prussia and America respectively.

I'd imagine it'd be like the world of Avatar, minus bending and in space. Think kinda like how LoK portrayed a world that had advanced to a dieselpunk level of tech but without European influence (or at least as close to that as the creators could get).

>Wowww why doesn't this western filmed tv series made to appeal to a western audience have an array of qualified Chinese actors to play Chinese characters in them, how problematic

Consider suicide.

When the show tries selling China-run future and does nothing to actually show that other than the characters occasionally cursing in Mandarin, I think it's a fair criticism.

At the end of the day, it's very obvious the writers intended a hegemonic Chinese culture for the 'Verse. But it just comes off as a shallow aesthetic, and an inconsistent one at that.

It works, but it's one of the few things they could have done better.

I've been mulling over a space opera that's also part wuxia/silat movie inspired. What I did was make fighter-size spacecrafts be common and sophisticated enough to do lone voyages - while also being customizable as fuck. So the warriors of the setting are wandering fighter pilots who customize their own ship, and dogfights are very common when two warriors cross paths.

It would be an amalgamated society like what Firefly was trying to do. The premise was that the two major super powers had pretty much merged.Obviously a US based series is probably going to have a bias, but globally, English is becoming the predominant language (currently, that may change) for business purposes, bt in Firefly, it was a mix of Chinese and English, that would probably be more extensive, and visually, multiplied by a factor of ten.

This is assuming about 500 years.

What horrible taste

Which Chinese or Japanese? Han China is different from Yuan China which is again different from Communist China. Same goes for Heian Japan, Sengoku Japan, Imperial Japan, and so forth.

A few Asian cultural norms that have survived the passage of time might be Confucianism; but even the idea of "Asian collectivism" is one of those ideas that strike me as more of a western exoticization of cultures that aren't that dissimilar - the slogan for today's China is Deng Xiaoping's "to get rich is glorious".

Sure, there might be a bit more emphasis on the family clan, but you find similar sort of nepotic practices in Western societies if you go back only a few decades.

Good call. Communist China in space is probably going to be the same as America in space, but with more Great Firewall and less voting.

More jedi. They're literally space samurai.

Awful

I liked it, but never sat down and watched the series sequentially. Cause it was the 90's on UPN.

FUCK ALL OF THOSE

DOMINANT CULTURE GLORIOUS USSR

Firefly is literally a Western in space. It just mixes in some Chinese cussing.

>history plebs not realizing the intense chinese influences on the old west when calling shit western
>film plebs not realizing the intense samurai flick influences in westerns
Multi-pleb-drifting

>Chung Kuo
I quite enjoyed that up until the point where it reset progress one too many times and I felt like it was never going to get anywhere. Not sure how many books I ultimately read: four... maybe five? I feel like it could've been amazing if it were condensed into a trilogy or something. It had some really cool ideas, but there was too much retreading old ground.

This guy knows whats up, space soviets are top tier.

And Sailor Moon is supposed be an Japanese schoolgirl.

Anyway Space communists isn't exactly unheard. Just look at the soviet spacecraft concept art works and you're pretty close.

No.

No fair criticism would be questioning why people 500 years in the future would be using slang and guns from the 1800s.

The Chinese shit is the least of this show's problems.

It has Chinese influence, but there was plenty of Chinese influence in the Wild West as well. That we think of it as unique to Firefly speaks more about how that part is ignored in all other westerns than anything.

That said, yes, in the backdrop of the setting it's clear that Chinese are a majority.

Still doesn't piss me off as much as people acting like no aliens was unique to Space opera.

Actors and directors are all that matters when it comes to series and movies. If both the actors and director are bad, then the show, regardless of plot or premise, will also be bad. If they are good, even a show or movie that sounds bad will turn out great.

Is this the film equivalent of "system doesn't matter, only the group does?"

'Cause any film nerd can point to many dozens of terrible movies that had great directors and casts. Brilliant directors with big name actors signed up have so often turned out bombs it's not even funny.
It takes more than a good group of people, everything else has to work right too, that goes for film AND tabletop.

>a space opera that's also part wuxia/silat movie inspired
>fighter-size spacecrafts be common and sophisticated enough to do lone voyages - while also being customizable as fuck.
So... Star Wars?

>Would the main characters pilot unique ships?
GUNDAMS

>lu bu
>no mount
LU BU RIDES ATOP THE RED HARE, THE FASTEST AND BEST OF ALL STEEDS

Empty.
The populations of men stopped breeding because they're too pussy to ask a girl out, and instead just fap to fantasy worlds where the women do all the work for them.
The women either killed themselves or turned gay because men need to do the work desu.
Sterility and suicide are what awaits Japan.
It's like a nation trying to get entry-level grimdarkness for access to 40k

>Oh god the population is on a downcurve, that means nobody's ever going to have a child again!

Stop being a retard.

So basically Outlaw Star.

Star Wars still has too many 'army vs army' kinda deal.
And the wuxia is integrated into the dogfights more. So for example Space Lu Bu rides on his trusty fighter, Red Hare, but he often neglects to buy fuel or wastes it on combat maneuvers. On the plus side he's without peer in his piloting skills.

DS9 was significantly better than the original series, and I would say that parts of it were definitely above B5. The problem is that it suffers from the same problem as every Star Trek where some episodes were Godly, and others were absolute Garbage.

The fact however that DS9 happened in a static place instead of just traveling to "Planet of the Week" brought quite a bit of consistency to it and so I would actually say that overall DS9 was the BEST Star Trek and was criminally under-rated because it didn't have enough waifu bait and was more complicated.

Garak alone brought that show into the Godly tier by being an awesome bastard.

Heck, overall the alien representations were definitely the most fleshed out and in depth representations of any Star Trek by far.

But yeah, Sisco "The Prophet" storyline was pretty painful at times. Still, they managed to show the Federation as serious fucking business when they wanted to be without going full Janeway.

Goddamn I remember finding a shopped pic of Kate Mulgrew back in the 90's, dressed up as a dominatrix. The quality was exceptional and for some reason it's stuck with me as one of the most erotically angry women I've ever seen.

Nothing can be Firefly tier, because nothing can ever hope to be as overhyped by die hard fans who still cry bitter tears over a decade later whilst being so utterly substandard in every way shape or form it's honestly a wonder it ever even got as far as it did before it got canned.

MOTHERFUCKER WHAT???

>What would a space opera be like if the dominant culture was Chinese or Japanese instead of American?

Either ROTK in space or Oda Nobunaga in space.

ah, pointless counterculture.
A fine vintage.

Yep, he appears to be a nerd hipster, the sort of hipster least likely to ever get laid. Rather tragic if you think about it.

I still have all of these on VHS.

I still prefer the novels written by "Jack McKinney"

Her mother had purple, blue, pink or brown hair depending on which iteration she was.
Her best friends include two other blondes, a bluenette, dark green and aquamarine, her daughter has pink, her ancestor was silver and humanity has been confirmed as interbreeding with Mercurian elves, Luna fairies, space cats, space ravens and other aliens.

I think it's safe to say that whilst rare, blonde is a perfectly acceptable hair colour for a Japanese person.

Besides, she looked pretty much Japanese in the live action show.

>Robotech
>Only scenes from Macross
>No Invid
>No Masters
Drunk Dana does not approve!

The main thing DS9 had over the other Treks were the arcs. The problem is that it could never really commit to them for more than a few episodes, and it really paled in comparison to B5 in particular. It still had one foot firmly planted in Trek's traditional episodic nature and failed to keep the tension up or make things seem real enough on a long term basis.

Also, being stuck on a space station made the series seem stagnant at times, and it lacked the sense of excitement and adventure of Trek's previous incarnations. Babylon 5 transcended that problem with broad-scale, interstellar diplomacy. Babylon 5, itself, was just a microcosm and a focal point for much larger events. But while DS9 tried to do some of that kind of thing too, it was always halfhearted in comparison.

>DS9 was significantly better than the original series
TOS had an incredibly good character dynamic between the main characters. Sure, it had a lot of dumb shit, but it had energy and it was blazing new ground. DS9, on the whole, lacked very good character dynamics and ended up feeling a bit lifeless a lot of the time: like they were just going through the motions. That's not to say that none of the characters were good (though I do think that a lot of them were lackluster), just that they rarely "popped" when they interacted.

>Garak alone brought that show into the Godly tier by being an awesome bastard.
Garak, without a doubt, is the MVP of the show (with Dukat a close second, at least until they fucked him up towards the end). But even if you think he measures up to Londo, there's no dynamic to measure up to the Londo-G'kar dynamic that made B5 so incredible.

In many ways, DS9 *wants* to be the best Trek, but it just doesn't pull off all that it wants to. TOS and TNG are limited by their more confined, episodic nature, but they do a better job within those limitations (and episodic shows have a legitimate niche, even if they're less likely to sweep you away over the long haul).

That's brown hair in that picture, dude.

I don't know what you think Blonde is, but it ain't that.

Hint: Every time someone has light coloured hair in a manga, it's brown unless they're American. Have you ever even seen a Japanese person?

I feel that TOS was amazing if viewed through the lens of when it occurred and what it was competing against, but I feel like it hasn't aged terribly well. I mean, you can make an amazing building using 18th century architecture, but fuck me if it isn't going to really suck if it doesn't have central heating and running water.

I don't actually know much about 18th century architecture but I assume they didn't have that shit.

And yeah, I definitely agree with you re: B5, which is why I said PARTS of it were better. Like, I could go and find a few arcs and episodes that really stood out as amazing, but yeah B5 really did the overall arcs better and more consistently.

TNG had Wesley and Troi. Let's be honest, it was all fucking Picard and Riker in that show that carried it, and their dynamics with the other crew and antagonists/NPCs.

I would have to say that calling DS9 vs. TNG as the best Trek would have to come down to personal taste.

>The Chinese
>Ever accomplishing anything
Hah. The Chinese are doomed to have some sort of collapse every 100 or so years.

No you can't be blonde blue eyes and Japanese.

At best she's a Japanese version of a wigger. All her school friends are probably mildly embarrassed by her acting Nippon.

No show is perfect, and I can well understand reacting against anything that gets hyped a lot, but Firefly's approach to science fiction is unusual and it's a quality show, with plenty of good episodes, even though it just had a 14 episode run. Considering how long it takes some shows to find their feet (and how much stronger on average the last third of the show was compared to the first third), that's very respectable. I find that most haters who aren't just be anti-popularity contrarians (and there is some merit in keeping anything from getting too big for its britches) simply don't like the *kind* of show Firefly is. And that's fine. I don't care for romantic comedies. But you don't ask the guy who hates fish what he thinks of the smoked salmon at the restaurant you're in. You aren't going to get useful input as you and he just have different tastes.

You do know what Blonde looks like, right?

>Have you ever even seen a Japanese person?
Have you ever seen a Japanese person who's ancestry includes fairies?

Their crazy coloured hair in Sailor Moon is literally meant to be crazy coloured hair.

>TNG had Wesley and Troi
Wesley was obnoxious, but he fortunately didn't have a very big role in the show, overall. He wasn't in most of the episodes (which isn't to say that he didn't manage to basically ruin some episodes). Troi is pointless but generally unobtrusive. She doesn't ruin anything; she just doesn't bring a lot to the table.

>it was all fucking Picard and Riker
And Data, and Worf and Geordi. The best scenes in TNG were when the crew was sitting around the briefing table bouncing ideas back and forth. TNG tended to work best as an ensemble, and focusing too much on one character often brought down the level of quality of the show (granted, Picard and Riker were two of the stronger characters to solo, but that's mainly because there was little about them for the writers to get hokey about--like Data's feelings, Worf's rivers of blood and pain, and Geordi's woman problems).

They're pretty good at stealing shit from Westerners and bribing school teachers to get their kid a seat up front.

Again, humanity in the Sailor Moon Mythos has interbred with literal space aliens.
But even ignoring that, Naoko Takeuchi, the author, confirmed that their crazy hair colours were their actual hair colours, not just played up for artistic effect.

So whilst rare, being blonde, silver, pink, blue, green, purple or otherwise are perfectly acceptable for Japanese people.

>Have you ever seen a Japanese person who's ancestry includes fairies?

I... I thought that was all of them.

Oddly enough, I think that episodes that focus on Wesley are better than ones where he's there but not the focus.

The former tended to play him as more flawed/actually a child.

>Data's feelings

I enjoyed all the talk about Data's feelings. But then, I also laughed at Mr Tricorder so I might have something wrong with me.

>Lexx
>Garbage tier

Garbage taste.

>I would have to say that calling DS9 vs. TNG as the best Trek would have to come down to personal taste.
I used to think it was photo finish, but upon going back and rewatching them, I found TNG to be markedly superior. My friend actually went through and watched all the Star Treks for the first time just recently, and he thought Voyager edged out DS9. I was aghast at first, but he actually had some validity to his reasoning. He thought that DS9 was rather lifeless and found its arcs to be unimpressive in the modern context (where shows have become much more arc-y than they used to be). By contrast, Voyager was silly and inconsistent, but adventurous and fun. It entertained him in ways that DS9 did not.

Now, I don't agree with his ranking, but the very fact that I can see where he's coming from indicates a definite weakness in DS9. And he would never claim to prefer Voyager to TNG (and I would've laughed in his face if he did).

>I feel that TOS was amazing if viewed through the lens of when it occurred and what it was competing against, but I feel like it hasn't aged terribly well.
TOS is the best Trek by far, and also the worst by far--sometimes simultaneously. It has more retarded, cringy shit than any other Trek, without a doubt. But if you can look past it, there's amazing stuff too. It's similar to Babylon 5 in that regard.

>The former tended to play him as more flawed/actually a child.
Yeah, he was flawed, but in a cringy way that I don't want to have to watch. I'd rather he be an overpowered plot device if it means I don't have to put up with his personality much.