/ccg/ Custom Card General /cct/

Red, White, and Blue edition!

To make cards, download MSE for free from here
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Read this before you post your shitty card!
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Art sources.
digital-art-gallery.com/
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT:

Cute. It's always more fun when a card is not only funny but actually works within conventional design philosophies.

Actually it should be
>At any time, you may exile this facedown card. When you do, cast it for its unveil cost or put it into your graveyard.
Also I'm salty.

I recall your Rune thing. Post one of your cards so I can compare it to Unveil; I want to see how similar it is. Could be some very minor difference is what's making people prefer one over the other.

"If an opponent" rather than "whenever"
"Spells you cast can't be countered by spells or abilities."
>Zedruu intensifies

The final draft of it was literally
>You may cast this card face down as a 2/2 creature for 3. At any time, you may exile this facedown card. When you do, cast it for its rune cost or put it into your graveyard.
I deleted all of them, so do what you want with it I guess.

baaaaaad thematically

should be

>@ can't be countered.
>Spells cant be countered.
>Players can't gain control of spells, or permanents they don't own.

Freedom =/= people losing control of their stuff. Even other people

Alright, first draft of my duel decks is complete. Here are all the normal cards from it.

Spells YOU CONTROL can't be countered by spells or abilities.

I am not the Unveil guy, I just wanted to compare them. I dunno what to tell you; they seem pretty much the same. It would be kinda odd if for some reason their cards were well received while yours were not. I wish I could tell you why. /ccg/ is fickle I guess. As a setmaker I know that's the truth more often than is easily explained besides 'lol4chan'.

Dude. Do you expect anyone to make sense of this jimble-jamble? Small portions, please. We can only take so much cringe at a time /joke

Fixed the wording.

And here are the double faced cards I made, because I really like the concept of sparking creatures.
aight, I'll repost in order of rarity, then.

>I think sparking creatures are an interesting design concept that needs to be expanded upon.
I totally agree with this.

It's fine at this point. I'm honestly interested to see what unveil guy does with the idea.

It sort of feels like a dead child of mine has been given new life you know?

fuckin hell forgot the image because I'm an asshole.

This mechanic will need special templating. Both of this card's abilities are suppose to be part of its soul ability.

Myra does too much damage on her ping, reduce the damage and the cost so it works better with her untap on spells ability.

One of the six Grendels. Bow and arrow, so he pings, discard to represent growing insanity and aggression. Wondering if I could do more with it though.

I don't think I'll ever know this feel. My abandoned/rejected ideas are all typically too shitty to ever see the light of day again.

There is going to be a lot of debate over this. Some of it very very angry, I predict.

Yeah. I really wanted to keep the flavor of "throws lightning bolts around" but its really just not balanced as is.
Anyway, here's commons.

It seems quite easy to make work/fix, but there's basically no use making a proper response as it is most likely a troll.

I'd replace Pit Fight. A r/g card looks off for themed WRU themed decks.

>Lands
Border Outpost and Rebel Base don't need the "you control" bits, unless you are deathly afraid of Reroute.

Token making on Dragon Den and Mustering Ground is too cheap. Compare Vitu-Ghazi, the City-Tree and other 1/1 token makers.

>Equipment
Equip costs go below the rest of the text. A lot of these are also too powerful. 0 for first strike is huge because you can use it on both attack and defense without tempo loss. The tribal boosts are too large, making the equipment terrible without the tribe but too good in themed decks.

These are meant to be duel decks, so I'm willing to leave the tribal bits there for most of them. I'll make those other changes, though.
Here's Rares.

Critiques on this?

I'd really like to help you, but I have no idea what you're trying to do.

Nice. Forgot the image.

Why does he have delve? It seems stapled on.

Sandstorm dragon is a monored card.

>Theme of 4
>Costs 5

Good question. I'm not exactly sure either.
What should the cost be without delve?

>Legion of Evil + Scornful Egoist
Nice. I'd play it.

Preface: Anything I don't specifically call out looks fine to me. Oh, and I'm not that great at balance, but I'll try.

>Dragonhunter Bow
Copy Hedron Blade
>Whenever equipped creature blocks or becomes blocked by one or more Dragons, it gains deathtouch until end of turn.
Oh, and the Equip costs goes on the bottom.

Wait, WHAT?! You put the equip costs for all of them on the top?! Seriously, man? C'mon, you can do better than that.

>Infantryman's Spear
>[...] +1/+1 and has first strike.

>Phalanx Shielf
I can't even tell what this is supposed to do. Here's my best guess
>[...] it gets +1/+1 until end of turn for each creature it's blocking.

>Sandshield Cloak
Even to spells you control?

>Sandswimmer Harness
Man, this tribal focus is not doing you any favors.

>Camp Follower
No idea what to think of this one. Why is it a White Rogue?

>Brand of Cowardice
This isn't Red.

>Desert Stormcaller
This looks interesting.

>Furious Resistance
You should probably make reprints somehow so people don't start arguing about them or something.

>Inner Bravery
I have no idea whether this actually works or not.

>Rebel Sandswimmer
Self-bounce isn't very Red.

>Scarred Deserter
Wait, hold on. You have all these cards that talk about Cowards, but this isn't one? "Oh no, the fuzz! Better hide!" Total coward. Especially in Red. Red are like Krogans, they have twice as much balls as everyone else.

>Siege Ox
This is kinda interesting. Nice job. Though I'm not sure on the mana cost.

>Sow Dissent
Not sure how I feel about these counters. Is this a recurring thing? Regardless, it feels awkward on a common.

>Starving Lion
What the fuck? Did I miss something? Why is this a 3/3 with an upside for 2 in Red of all colors?

>Rebel Yell
Isn't this a Civil War Confederacy thing? Also, kinda weird that Blue cares about Rebels.

It's like Griselbrand.

Both of these scream "Break me, baby! Oh yeah, just like that! We'll do great things together!"

Fixed my D&D character. Turns out Human Elf Rogue fits better than expected.

Claw of Lion I think the legendary check would be worded: "As long as it's(/.equipped creature is) legendary, it has double strike and vigilance." Wording taken from Champion's Helm and Godo's Maul.

Static surge wording should be "to each equipped creature"

Lycean General needs a terminating clause for the bonuses.

Lycean General needs a duration on his buff.
Static Surge should be each equipped creature.
Claw of the Lion doesn't need a capital on legendary or the 'as well'.

It's "noncreature, nonland" you go by alphabetical order. Looks good, nice work. And see, that type line isn't so bad either.

Hey COanon, I was thinking earlier: have you ever done a Spawn or Felicia Hardy card?

Karlov is rolling in his grave

Ah, no. Haven't worked on Al Simmons or Black Cat. Why do you ask? Have any ideas for them?

Ah... is this your way of saying "Make it cheaper"?

You CHOOSE how creatures block.

Static Surge is all round terrible. Compare Aura Barbs.

Lycean Blacksmith should have something that makes him feel red.

Needs more blue.

Anything I don't respond to here is changed.
>Phalanx Shield
It's supposed to reward double blocking. "Whenever this creature blocks, it gains +1/+1 for each other creature blocking that creature" is suppsoed to mean "For each creature you block with beyond the first, equipped creature gets +1/+1" or something along those lines.
>Starving Lion
Starving Lion was initally supposed to be this, but I couldn't figure out whether that was a good design or not, so I left it woefully incomplete.
>Desert Stormcaller
Maybe it looks interesting because it isn't mine. Functional reprint of Sotrmcaller of Keranos, flavored to fit the setting.
>Rebel Yell
Was initially red, shifted into blue because of the card draw, I'm already leaning on tribal pretty hard in this thing so I figured it'd be fine as is.
>Needs more blue
I agree. I just couldn't think of many decent blue card ideas that were relevant to the "rebellion" theme.

Wrong stitch, waiting to delete

A legendary creature that makes a bunch of copies of itself seems counterproductive

I realized that too. Here's the proper one.

cont.
>Lycean Blacksmith
the R is really just to make him a bit more difficult to cast, really, and equipment as an archetype is solidly in W/R already, right?
>Static Surge
Changed to copy Aura Barbs.

Oh my god I never put P/T on Spider momma

absolutely love dalus and vairn, sevros is wordy but I think its fine and also she's cool. Hallos and Raud i'm less hyped on but they still seem totes fine

>Spawn
Well, given your determination to use only evergreen keywords... Menace is a given, and maybe some kind of temporary Equip feature that tutors an Equipment for a turn to represent his cloak/suit becoming any weapon he can imagine that's not mechanical? Tutor the equipment, attach it, then sac it at EOT? I was gonna suggest Hellbent too but eh, not evergreen. BR obviously.
>Felicia
2/2 UR rogue with Hexproof and "Whenever an opponent would flip a coin, that player loses the flip instead" and "You have protection from spells and abilities with the word 'random' in them".

Not sure on cost on either of them.

Ok, while making fixes, I had an idea to make Spider mom fit better with the others, at least a bit.

>whenever damage is dealt to ~, put that many blah blah...
Pretty sure anyway.

>Phalanx Shield
You need to have it grant the equipped creature the ability to block extra creatures, or the ability will be flat-out useless. Also, when creature A blocks creatures B and C, B and C are said to be "blocked by" creature A. My confusion was over "blocking" since that implies that creature A was attacking. Look up the wording to Rampage and repurpose it.
>Staving Lion
The ability you're looking for is
>Whenever a creature dealt combat damage by ~ this turn dies, remove a -1/-1 counter from ~.

>Desert Stormcaller
Ah. I was reminded of Keranos. Um... look, don't get discouraged. You have to remember that the guys at Wizards have done this for years and do it for a living. We're just fans dicking around for fun.

>Rebel Yell
Eh, roll with it for now and see how people react to it and how it plays in the archetype.

>Spawn
Oh man, this sounds like the problem I'm going to have with Green Lanterns. Hmm, well, I can try to incorporate Equipment matters, since even without the suit, he loves using modern weapons. Or at least the version in the movie did. Not much of a fan of the comics. Tried to get into them twice (Jim Downing and God is a dog), got burned both times. Probably Menace, yeah, maybe Regen. Trample? I'll have to see how it goes. As for Hellbent, I have no issue mimicking nonevergreen stuff. Oracle here basically gives your cards Transmute UB.

>Felicia
This is part of why I've been holding off on her. There's the cat thing, the thief thing, and the luck thing. I'll try doing something with flips, but I'm not too keen on your ideas, sorry. Really, they seem like something more fitting for Domino.

Oh wow, do you mind if I borrow this concept? It would fit wonderfully in one of my sets.

Go for it, it's lifted straight from Starfield of Nyx.

I also wanted to point out something I'm actually a little split on with Dalus.

Obviously choosing to Manifest at the beginning of combat means he has a better chance of being impactful the turn he enters the board, but it also means you have to make some possibly tough choices about what to spend your mana on pre-combat, since you won't know what you're Manifesting.

Letting it go off at your upkeep means you know what you're getting and can decide how to spend your mana more readily, but of course it leaves him vulnerable a full turn without benefiting you.

There's a tradeoff either way, and I'm uncertain which plays better.

Domino's power isn't as strong as Felicia's though, if I recall. It seems to be she'd be better off lampooning her luck with Regenerate or something.

Glad some Spawn ideas clicked though. I mean I don't really like him as a character that much, but I saw a pic of him while scrounging for art and I thought to ask. I asked about Black Cat because her I do like. Well, before she became a shit-tastic villain.

I think it can be "Whenever ~ is dealt damage," but you're right. "takes damage" isn't proper wording.

Thanks. Altering it slightly and putting it at rare for Limited considerations, but it's a great idea. Appreciate it!

Yeah, whichever it is, I know what's there ain't right.

>I mean I don't really like him as a character that much
Oh no. OH NO. Spawn is basically the epitome of shitty 90's comic characters. And it's pretty clear the writers have no idea what to do with the character. It's honestly something I'd really like to see redone in the hands of a better writer (like Prophet and Bloodstrike) because what I remember of the movie actually was actually pretty decent. Goddamn, part of me wonders how the hell Image has stayed in business for so long. Especially when I was going through Cyberforce and Hunter-Killer. They're both 90's super teams, the former being literally just cyborg X-Men, the latter getting their powers from tattoos. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, I liked the newest Tattooed Man. But a whole team of them?

>shit-tastic villain.
SLOOOOT! Yeah. Though I'm not sure on the power levels of Domino or Black Cat, and let's face it, serious talk of power levels is a joke, I'm really going for "Adaptation Distillation" here, just taking the best aspects of everything and combining them. Plays hell with continuity, but Magic does that already.

But yeah, I'll see what I can do. Might not have anything by tonight though.

Vairn could be a combo piece with Ornithopter or Memnite, but then again we have things like Melira and and any Persist creature, or Saffi and Sun Titan, and he's a lot harder to cast.

Name should probably be "Poisoned Arrows"
It's also quite undercosted for such a powerful defensive artifact, even if it does only affect archers.

Three mana is about right for a tribal deathtouch anthem.

How much time would you say you usually spend looking for the perfect art for a card?

For my /co/ cards, it's really easy for obvious reasons. Even the harder ones probably don't take me more than half an hour.

Couple hours at most.

Bow of Nylea is the only really comparable card, but is a legendary 1GG enchantment artifact which offers deathtouch to all your attackers (among other things).
This piece of equipment, while limited in its own regard, is full colorless and an equip cost of 1 lets any creature not only block, but kill just about anything.

That's your average? Fuck, I forgot how hard it is to find art for things that aren't just adaptations of something. Probably explains why so many of my truly original cards are still lacking art.

Felhide petrifier and death baron are three mana tribal deathtouch providers. The equip cost is low I'll give you that.

None, if you start with the perfect art.

That's for perfect art, I usually settle long before that. I also don't look for a single art piece at a time.

They are also creatures, which are typically also easier to remove. Really 4 or some color tilt would probably make it fine; the biggest thing is deathtouch + reach for 1 equip cost.

Next question.
How many set symbols do you regularly use?

I mainly use my Gear wheel thing symbol, and a Wedge symbol for wedge related stuff. I've also got a clone set symbol, which I guess I don't really need, and a Planeswalker symbol, which I also don't need, and an Uncard symbol.

Oh, so you're not only spoked wheel user, you're also V user and % user.

Goblin Oracle made me snort tea into my nose. I hope you're happy, you horrible person.

>spawn
From a vaguely remembered plot synopsis read years ago...

Al Simmons, Hellspawn 2BB
Legendary Creature- Demon
Deathtouch
Whenever another creature dies, exile it instead. Then, if ten or more creatures have been exiled this way, exile ~ and return all creatures exiled with ~ to the battlefield. Transform ~.
3/4
//
Spawn of the New World
(b/r) Legendary Creature- Demon
Flying, Protection from Angels and Demons
Other creatures you control get +1/+1 and have Protection from Angels and Demons.
7/7

Now that I think about it, a spark creature would be moderately interesting. Does a dfc 'remember' stuff its other side did? For example, could I have a spawnwalker reanimate cards the previous side exiled?

I use whatever's for my current set, and used to use a general one for all my one-offs, but stopped because unless you're doing a set or something, your identity is not important in my opinion, since all your one-offs are being judged in a a vacuum anyway. If we ever decided as a thread to always "tag" ourselves with set symbols I'd probably participate because it was the Will of the council, but until that happens, set symbols for sets only.

This reads really awkwardly. "Put target creature with power less than or equal to ~'s power on top of it's owner's library." isn't it?

That's a lot of symbols.

I don't think that final ability is worded correctly. "WU, Shuffle ~ into its owner's library: Put target exiled card on top of its owner's library. Activate this ability only if ~ is in exile, and only at any time you could cast a sorcery." I added the last bit because I think it'd need it. I'm not ever sure about any of this, or even if this card should exist.

Siril is really great. Bloodletting is a neat big black card, and it should clarify that players sac in order. Sorin is too much about tribal and should have one "regular" ability.

Yeah, those are apt descriptions, I guess.

Uncards are funcards.

>DFC
It depends. Because a DFC is, at the end of the day, a single card, it will "remember" what was exiled with it on either side. Kinda like how one side "knows" that the other side has been on the battlefield long enough to attack without Haste. At least, I think that's how it would work.

???

and?

He's saying it ain't white nigga. That's a Red/blue effect

I feel like since redirects tend to be RR or UU, that this should be WUU.