Finding tabletop game to be a part of

>Finding tabletop game to be a part of

Veeky Forums, please help me. If you ever need an example of what happens to someone overwhelmed by choices, you're looking at him. After re-reading the Ballad of Edgardo I want to get involved in SOME sort of fucking RP but I have no idea where to go or what to do.

I realize there are threads on here and shit but... I don't fucking know. I don't just want to jump in to some random game when there's so many out there. I've played D&D4 and 5 a couple times, and did a bit of Call of Cthulu, but I'm at a loss for where to go to do some RPG stuff due to so many fucking options being available.

I don't have anyone around to do shit with (Seriously. My neighborhood is full of older people and little kids.), and at the moment, I can't drive anywhere, so it'd have to be online which is part of the problem.

Help getting started somewhere on here would be nice. I just want somewhere to go because I'm completely clueless. In terms of what kinds of RPs I'd be into if you want to suggest something (Or even just a site, or particular thread on here) to visit, basically anything really. Preferably nothing mundane/boring but really I'd try just about anything. I just want to get involved somehow. Thanks in advance, anons.

Grab another rulebook if you want to do D&D 5th Edition, This doesnt even go in depth about character creation, which is important.

If you're referring to the OP pic, it's unrelated other than the word "Starter" since I'm new to actively searching out groups to play with.

The easiest games to find a group for are Pathfinder and 5E.

Since online seems to be your only hope, try Roll20 or gamefinder threads on tg and hope you find a decent group. online people tend to be flakes/weirdos/busy people but you might get lucky and find a sane and stable steady gaming group.

As for other games just think about stuff that interests you and look into things that catch your eye.

genres like Fantasy or cyberpunk or settings like Star Wars or Dresden Files.

and try to be familiar with the rules of the game. nobody likes explaining stuff all the time.

Not OP but i was considering to start with the 5e starter box, is it worth the 10 bux it cost?

We are a group who never rped before, just some X-wing and eurotrash games.

5e is very beginner friendly and the adventure in it is pretty good too. I recommend it highly.

The only problem I could see with it is the characters are pregenerated and players might want to make their own.

You can snag basic rules PDF for free from WOTC's site or just pirate the PHB from the 5eg. you can pretty much pirate everything from the 5eg.

Probably I will buy the 3 corebooks and pirate the rest

Well worth it Free pack of dice (no %) and the AL-legal Lost Mine of Phandelver adventure path are worth the $10. Getting 5 pregen lvl1's on heavy stock is just the icing on the cake.

I think the AL is on another story line completly different fron Tyrani of Dragons.

Get some of the old folks into RPGs. They love that kind of shit.

OP, what you want is Dungeon World

It's pretty much objectively one of the best currently out there. It has fast easy to use mechsnics and is perfect for beginners, it's a lot cheaper than most of these other rules bloated systems that cost fifty dollars. There is no reason for extra rules when it is he role playing that matters. Dungeon World is fast and innovative and still feels exactly like the spirit of ADND before DnD 3.5 destroyed the hobby and ruined a generation of role players.

That sounds interesting... Do you know anywhere I could find a place to play it? Roll20, I'm assuming, but I'm just wondering if you might have any places off the top of your head.

OP, what you ACTUALLY want is a good group. Systems don't really matter if you have a good group. A good GM can make a great story with any system. Autists will scream and naysay, but that is just because they have no brain. A good story is worth any system, the system is just there to allow players to think that they can't get raped by a bad GM. It's a placebo. Bad GMs fuck over any system. Good GMs make a story and then finagle the system to work within it. Find someone that puts thought into his setting and can answer questions you have about it. Not every question will have an answer at first, but the good GMs admit when they haven't been exploring that direction yet. So ask questions of each GM until you get the right mix of answers for you to feel comfortable.

A good GM is like a good sex partner, trustworthy, knowledgeable, and willing to delay enjoyment to maximize the effect; but still doesn't take dumb shit from his partners.

I know all about good GMs. But here's my problem: I don't know where the fuck I should go because of so many options here on Veeky Forums and elsewhere. That's why I made this thread.

I just want a game (Not, like, the system but rather the actual thing itself) I can jump into or find my way into with ease. Learning rules and shit is easy; the hard part is knowing which system to play, or where to find a good group for said system.

Nobody plays dungeon world, exceptg for one faggot who insists on shitting up 5e threads

Go to them all, one at time. Evaluate each as you go. As this board is filled with nothing but autists, just bypass. Go elsewhere and check each one, one at a time. I have not found a good group in a while after my old group drifted apart thanks to real life. Army/Navy deployments, marriages, kids, retirement moves to Florida, things like that. So I don't know where to find what I'm looking for. But I know what I'm looking for. This board doesn't have it.

It is, we're actually all the way up to season 4 "The Curse of Strahd" but they've said that they intend for Phandelver to be an "evergreen" product that will always be available. A little less impressive because right now *all* AL publications are still legal as long as a character hasn't yet been played in the Season 4 setting, but it's nice to know it's going to stay the recommended starter adventure for the foreseeable future.

I would've assumed that this board would be self-aware enough to not be full of autists to be honest. But then, I haven't taken a very thorough look around.

>Veeky Forums
>self-aware enough to not be full of autists

Wow you are new. As much as Veeky Forums liked to claim it never was untrollable and never gets shit done. This board is the origin of some of the most autistic shit this side of the Sonic fandom.

>Pet Peeve first:
>Anything but D&D. D&D's importance for the hobby needs to be diminished a bit. There are a lot of other great RPG games (Call of Cthulhu, 40K Roleplay, WoD, etc.) that should be as prominent as D&D.

Now to the actual subject: Do not pick a system, setting. Since you play online, look for a group of good and RELIABLE gamers to hang out with. Play what they play.

System does not matter. Setting does not matter. The people you play with? They matter. A lot. Disregard any other advice regarding system/setting in this thread for now, OP.

>It's pretty much objectively one of the best currently out there.
>objectively one of the best
>objectively

Sounds legit

He doesn't actually play it. He hates it, so he shills it constantly to get other people to hate it too.

I'm just not sure where to look to FIND people to play with though. Roll20, some forum, what?