I see so much negativity on the board these days, let's see some positivity!

I see so much negativity on the board these days, let's see some positivity!

What are some of the things you enjoy most about traditional games?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tIfBHXjYgBY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I enjoy hating it

>What are some of the things you enjoy most about traditional games?
It's nice to realize that I'm not the most fucked up person in the world and I have a lot of mental exercise wondering how the people I meet actually hold down a job and not get smothered in their sleep by their parents.

I like having fun.

I really enjoy playing D&D 3.5.

Off to a rousing start, aren't we?

fuck you

Working within given rules and optimizing my strategy/approach to get the best result. That's for board games.

For RPGs it's mostly about creating interesting situations.

The fact that you can respond to any situation in your own way, and the situation can respond to you in its own way. Unfortunately, most GMs treat their games as video games and only allow for specified reactions and outcomes.

I like pretending to be the little girl.

I really like having a hobby that reaffirms my identity and lived experiences in an inclusive safe space.

I introduced my two kid sisters (both 8) to D&D using the 1974 little brown books, they chose to play Lapine (litterally she-bunny) the Bunny Wizard and Melody the Elven Thief. They played two sessions of about two hours each and it was pretty great. I asked them what they like about it :

Lapine's player likes that
>We get to do whatever we want
>We live adventures
>There's magic!

Melody's player likes that
>"We get to murder things"
>Our characters can die so there's no try again
>Adventuring rocks

They tried to save the village from kobolds, ended up setting it on fire and murdered a few guards to get the thief out of prison after she tried to intimidate a smith into hurrying up and giving her her new weapon RIGHT NOW. Fun times.

I get to look at this board and be glad I've never really met "That Guy", players with thinly-veiled fetishy characters, or players who passive-aggressively attack games the second they invert (or subvert, doesn't fucking matter) cliches in storytelling.

I meant "plays cliches straight" vs. "inverts them". sorry english not first language not speak well pls

The possibility of ERP.

>Melody

Sounds like somebody is raising a murderhobo

Your sister sounds awesome.

>social activity
>creative exercise
>good players
>good DMs
>fun

I enjoy complaining about people having fun the wrong way.

>Roleplay with structure, and either the freedom of setting control as DM or the ease of single character control as a player
>Lots of cool shit to do if you can think out of the box
>Gives my friends the illusion that I'm good at improvising and planning really far ahead and managing numbers when it's mostly instant-cooked half baked BS

>he still thinks in positive/negative duality
Baka normalfaggot. Go back, nobody wants you here.

As a GM I like creating interesting people/places/creatures. I also like enabling my player friends to enjoy themselves

Cheating

Traditional games let me do literally whatever the hell I want.

> Feel like playing a space age operator who operates operationally? Sure.
> Then take that operator to fight a wizard with a magical sword? Fuck yes.
> After the battle surf a flaming piece of shuttle down to a planet, where I learn to tame and ride a dinosaur? Oh yeah.
> Meet an elf waifu who can turn into a dragon at will, who loves to burn my enemies with me, see them driven before us, and listen to the lamentations of their loved ones? Fuck yes.
> Suddenly hanker for horror, so now our enemies return as half-glimpsed necrotic demon possessed abominations on crack? If it tickles the fancy, why not.

The sky is not the limit. There is no limit. And that's great.

they have so much more freedom than videogames

Roleplaying is, no shit, the best social experiences I've ever had.

All of my closest friends gathered around a table, drinking beer and trying to cooperatively create the most batshit crazy story we can possibly come up with. What's not to love?

youtube.com/watch?v=tIfBHXjYgBY

>Move to a new city to be with a girl
>Don't know any of her friends, feel awkward
>"So, uh, do any of you play rpgs? You know, D&D and games like that?"
>None of them play, but they're all really interested; they've basically just been waiting for someone to teach them

Unpack dice, acquire friends.

>>Our characters can die so there's no try again
Murderhobos don't like it when their characters die.

This right here

I enjoy playing solo games

fuck off cunt, if there were things good about traditional games we wouldn't be here talking about them

>28
>Still get to play pretend
>With friends even

Only the possibility?

It gets my depressed friend to smile sometimes, so there's that.

I want to run a game where all of the player's characters were made for them by young kids.

I also have a kid brother around the same age, and when I went to visit he kept looking at my notes and asking questions as I was planning a campaign.

He ended up making a dragonborn barbarian called Jack Slayer, who carries around a big battleaxe and yells at people in an australian accent. His breath weapon is lightning, and his origin story is that he killed a witch's pet troll and she cursed him to always be hungry. He also dresses like Terry Bogard.

I don't think I've ever had more fun in character creation.

You can try to fart instead of rolling dice.

If the fart's loud enough you succeed!

It gives me a good outlet for weird and creative ideas with friends. Gets them away from video games so we can actually play together in the same room.

I like pretending AOS isn't real and i'll wake up one day and the end times never fucking happened, or a company that isn't pants on head fucking retarded has somehow got the right sto warhammer fantasy and is doing it justice again.

Hope Tom Kirby and any other bellend who had a hand in AOS dies slowly and painfully of cancer

When you're dating the only girl in the group and they're all mad at you because of it

>I want to run a game where all of the player's characters were made for them by young kids.

Axe Cop style story telling would be great.

Same here. Playing RPGs with my friends is fun and sometimes I smile or bust out laughing. It helps me forget how much I hate myself.

I'm literally only in it for the character interaction. Plot can go to hell, mechanics can go to hell. Give me an array of NPCs to play and a group of characters who want/need to talk to them and I'm happy.

Suffice to say, I generally run intrigue campaigns with minimal combat, and the combat which does exist is weeb as all fuck.

Hating things makes me happy.

Hanging out with my friends and telling jokes and enjoying a shared storytelling experience is pretty awesome.

I love to McGuyver my way through problems with wits alone or imperfect spells/tools combined to create the perfect solution, to manipulate battlefields to create favorable conditions for allies and minions or interact with the environment in interesting improvised ways, and lastly to solve some problems through words, stealth, and subterfuge alone as a master of deals, deception, and diplomacy.

I love to be the Hero of Wits. Not Wisdom, because that implies foresight. Not Intelligence, because that implies recognizing a pre-established solution pattern. But Wits; the ability to improvise and think quickly to make the best of a bad situation and its ever-evolving complexity.

And for that need, the only constant panacea is the world of tabletop role-playing.

Reading about settings, I guess? I'm a fairly casual history nerd, but I get the same kind of enjoyment out of reading Over the Edge as I do reading about the economic history of Florence.

Getting to fuss about cool character builds and how to portray N/PCs is sometimes fun as well. Not sure RPGs are any more interesting because of the group than any other thing I can do with friends, though

I legitimately like getting to roleplay as a positive, upbeat hero who can also kick ass at the same time.

That's a cute dog.

You don't have to be paranoid about the game having a hidden subroutine that rigs it in its favor, you only have to be paranoid about how well the deck is shuffled or the die is thrown. Seriously, you know that shit where the computer only readies their option after you do gives you a bad vibe.

>reading about the economic history of Florence.
My nigga.

>having a huge ass book collection
>great roleplaying moments
>painting my little plastic mutant dragon elves

About the only roleplaying goal I've yet to accomplish is getting some small vanity project of mine published/released to a larger audience, but that will come in time.

I also finally set up an appointment to get my depression looked into after a suggestion during a thread some weeks back. I'm still nervous about the whole deal, but I wanna thank you guys for giving me the push I needed.

"Depression" is not a disease. You are an attention whore, nothing more.

ebin

Truly, you have contributed to this thread to a monumental degree

10/10 got me to reply

Spending time with friends, and meeting new ones by getting people into tabletop RPGs. Having some laughs in some groups, and telling some really cool stories in others.

Also, like some other people have said, it helped me get through to a pretty depressed friend, and it helped her out quite a lot.

That every once and a while, you get a guy with a true story about your hobby that's just incredible. Could it be fake? Its possible, but Henderson and Bearington and those stories are actually funny, and I've been tabletopping long enough to know that shit like that can happen.

Plus, I mean damn man. It's just so fun being a fa/tg/uy.

I like that I've found something people love so I can ruin it for them on even this petty little scale.

Every thread derailing, bigoted tangent? Every unpleasant, disdainful geek? Every whining, non-contributing voice that tries to kill any attempt at getting shit done?

It's me.

;^)

Seems right, everyone assumes everyone they disagree with is Virt anyway

Negativity is all any of us have left. Kill yourself, fun is a lie, who even cares anymore

I love hanging out with my friends

I love being ForeverDM, because I prefer being DM to playing these days

I love 4e, like seriously, it is my favorite game to run

While I might not care for playing or running 3.PF, I LOVE making characters for it. It is genuinely satisfying in the same way that building a CCG deck when a new set comes out, or making a new Warmhordes team, or discovering a new discontinued CCG to make decks for.

I love all three of those things I just mentioned that character building for 3.PF feels like.

I like watching PCs betray each other

Roleplaying, which is a thing D&D killed for good as I can see now (literally nWoD being a lousy D&D attempt to make everything static and rigidly defined system and lore-wise).

I like roleplaying in roleplaying games, while others only care about the "game" part, as in "I win, you have to lose".

This sums it up pretty well, doubly so since I mostly play online. There are some wondrous specimens out there on Veeky Forums.

Problem is, most players nowadays also deem their own games as videogames, wanting only convenient situations to respond the way they want them to. No fun there, in my opinion.

They're an excellent excuse to drink beer, eat pizza, and ignore my spouse for a few hours a week.

I mean, if you're actively seeking a reason to ignore your significant other, then I think it's best you either talk to your spouse about your problems or seek separation from one another.

Not saying you shouldn't play tabletop games, just saying that you shouldn't play them for a reason like that.

>Minmaxing or "optimizing"

Fixed that for you, matealam.

> thinly veiled attempt at finding out what to put in your shitty kickstarter tabletop so you can later shill aboit how it caters to our interests
I like how a well made character in an rpg is made during the game and not before it.

>This feel
Bonus points for Feel: Electric Boogaloo
>When you break up with her and one of the other players jumps her on the rebound
>It inevitably doesn't work out
>She yells how you were a better lay than him during their messy breakup

>muh shill paranoia
Fuck off

>when you smonk wee,d

I love discovering systems that sound like an amazing amount of fun to play and then realizing I'll never get my group to play anything other than D&D and Shadowrun.

Currently, that game is Dungeon Crawl Classics. Damn, does it look fun.

>itwasajoke.tiff
Hit a nerve there, didn't I? Which 4e retroclone do you shill for user-kun?
Do you say "it's not shilling if I provide the pdf"?

Hanging out with friends and telling stories.

>pink mohawk campaign

>imasine
What?

The fact Games Workshop is dying.

Don't think, nigga.

>actually thinking about it

>The Engineer

It's like writing a story, but without self-spoilers. I just like to see how my character grow and change during campaign, sometimes in a way I couldn't predict on their creation.

It's better than TV or vidya, because it's interactive, and I have at least some control on where it's going.

>The one excited player

Hah

It appears that I have found my nigga.

I'll one up you
>when you're dating a girl in the group and the other girl in the group is mad at you because of it

>Eric Holder

My sides.

Veeky Forums is one of the most reddit-infested boards, so I see nothing wrong with that.
Besides, fun is a buzzword.

>fun is a buzzword
/v/ plz go.

Christ, one day I really will get seriously into Dwarf Fortress

Ignoring everything GW has put out in the past 6 years or so in my RPGs is pretty comfy desu

Because she's in lesbians with her or because she wants the D?

How did you know I was a Nigga Engineer?

Not playing them with you.

I love these pictures.

Is there a collection of them somewhere? A website?

Sauce? Reverse image search gives nothing.

I honestly found a majority of my friends through them. I sifted through a number of people I loathed to do it, but it was worth it.

What about that image made you curious for sauce? It's completely innocent.

>Veeky Forums is one of the most reddit-infested boards

Or Veeky Forums infests reddit more than the rest of Veeky Forums. The different rpg communities online end up having varied enough approaches that you kinda have to visit a few of them to get a decent selection of systems and topics.

It's not like /k/ or /cgl/ where it's the locus of their particular brand of lunacy.