What does Veeky Forums think of Bolt Action...

What does Veeky Forums think of Bolt Action? I love ww2 and was wondering if this was quality or if their would be a better tabletop ww2 game to get behind.

Yeah its pretty good

try /hwg/ in the catalogue

Op all you need to consider is 15mm or 28mm ww2 minis. The rule system you can always change easily. BA2 is dropping in a couple of months.

Warlord has good deals on the modern plastic kits. I am currently painting these MG42 teams made by black tree models.

Also BA as a rule set is nice and fast. If you want more detail try chain of command

It's a very swell game with really nice plastics that you can get for a good deal. I like the scale of the game, as it sits between smaller skirmish games and larger mass combat games in the amount of dudes you are going to have on the table at once.

>I love ww2
pretty sure you wouldn't "love ww2" if it was your ass fighting the Red Army, fucking pussy

Holy fuck dude, tone down the edge.
>implying I love being in war and not the history

>me and 2 friends were looking at starting up
>got really hype over it
>bought a starter force of russians and the rulebook
>one of them see's the rulebook, flicks through it
>says he wont bother reading it as i'll already know the rules (fair i guess, but still a bit dickish) and wont be needing the army comp as he basically wants to play unbound 40k style
>tell him no fuck off, that's stupid, theres a points and rules system for a reason
>he bitches about just wanting to play the coolest tanks of the war
>he wasn't even planning on sticking to one nation.
>other dude who said he was interested soon decides he lost hype
>stuck with a hundred odd quid of russians
>not even one game with them.

Bloody annoying.

>Trying to play anything fun with 40kucks.
First mistake right there buds.

I thought i could teach them the error of their ways by showing them some different and cheaper games, but no, they have the GW addiction to strong.

>when i stop being such a full time NEET i'll get a car and be able to drive out to games clubs that are further out to play more nichey stuff
Can't wait

YMMV

You do not have two friends.
You have one friend and one utter shitbag retard whom you and your friend are stuck with.

Think hard on which is which and purge the worthless one.

You will be judged on your answer

Hi. Tanks are underpowered. Infantry can run up on machine guns pointed directly at them and engage in close combat--this more than anything else I've talked (not read on the internet) to players about is a problem--'cause you can't do that shit IRL. It has issues. It's very fun though. There will be a 2nd edition relatively soon. If you liked AT-43 you will like Bolt Action as it's nearly the same rules.

It's really nice to try this game out at stores. My local game store has Bolt Action slotted out for the same nights as Flames, and the crowd is always fun to play with. I want to see if I can start a storewide campaign myself.

Personally, I prefer Flames of War.
Bigger scope, more tanks, brutal assault and the Early Mid Late divide stops stuff like Polish early war lists getting massacred by Assault Rifle wielding SS platoons.

gunning down communists is an honor we all aspire to

That is my real problem with the game currently. Seeing an era system would help a lot.

If you like WW2 wargaming, and by that, I mean you like to play scenarios without both sides having an equal amount of points and one side seems to be at a disadvantage, then no, you'd hate it.

Yeah, the people that play are not cunts at all in my experience.

Even in 40k people hate the type that just mash combos of the most powerful/coolest shit with no regard to lore.

Glad you think that way, as we have actually already done just that in the months since i bought the ruskies, i just didn't go full life story in the post. But yeah mr "i don't want to follow rules" isn't part of my friend group and i feel all the better for it. I stopped talking to him for reasons unrelated to this, more for being a general bellend, but either way, good riddance.

Then I offer my heartfelt congratulations on your victory in life.

Well done.

If the rest of Veeky Forums is any indication, you have done the hardest thing imaginable.

clapping orson wells.gif

Solid system, and I'm excited for BA2 and Konflikt '47 to come out.

Be warned, though, the Blastic models tend to be very fiddly. At least the British infantry and the German Blitzkrieg infantry.

Perhaps the biggest fault with the system right now is it has a bit too much freedom. It's entirely possible to bring a French v. German game where the German player can legally have a Tiger in his army. Obviously with the right players one can simply pick theatres and time periods to prevent such things. I hope BA2 amends this a bit more towards the way FoW handles it.

It's good if you want a fluid 40k analogue with WWII trappings, if you want a historical game you'd better hope for a gentleman's agreement with the other players.