What if America in fantasy land thread 2

OP from first thread >If the country of North America was somehow teleported to a standard fantasy world, what would be the immediate repercussions? Would they be able to keep the Internet going? Would schools have to teach Dwarvish and Elvish?

>Not using the adorable American Harpy.

Shame on you user.

post >yfw the Allied States btfo of the witch king

Sorry, other guy wanted a new pic an I couldn't find one

There isn't enough stars on the flag therefore harpy discarded.

Oregon.

Bureau of Land Management mormon thingy.

Should of used this one.

Question since this came up, what resources would America be on the look out for after the transition? Other than oil of course, but I mean things like crops that aren't grown that much in America

Also, I hope that writefag comes back, his shit was good

Rare earths.

A bunch of rarer metals and chemicals mostly, Rare Earths in particular. 97% come from China, mainly because they have a lot, and partially because they don't care mining it is terrible for the environment.

Our main problem wouldn't really be not having any single material, but not having nearly enough of everything that we CAN make.

So, if America is now in a world where belief can be shaped into gods, I think people would make noise about Burning Man. It wouldn't go anywhere, because people would either not want to slide down the slippery slope of regulating what can and cannot be attended as an adhoc measure against rogue belief formations or not believe Burning Man has enough stable beliefs associated with him to take hold, but I feel it would be a safe, relatively harmless hot-button topic for the news cycle to latch onto and to start internet fights over.

We need monster girls with unwavering patriotism.

Getting tired of the 'belief makes things real' thing from last thread.

merican territories actually have a ton of oil reserves, the stuff is valuable but aside from environmental concerns there's no reason not to tap it once you're basically forced to make do.

Natural gas, and coal are next up, especially with the uses of Coal and Coke (coal byproduct, google it) in the use of trains. With the relative rarity of refined oil in the wake of North America's transportation you're gonna see a rise in the use of Horses and Bikes for personal transportation, busses, subway trains, and of course continental railway lines.

but to answer your main question:
new plants that can be used in medicine, animals for much the same purpose, new cultures to exploit via trade and cultural exchange, rare earths for their uses in electronics and other devices, silicon and similar materials for electronics, certain fissile materials like thorium for its relative ease of use in nuclear power projects, uranium, etc...

Right, so America beats down the evil wizard Whatshisface, what next?

I'm guessing growing pains of new trade routes and diplomacy.

that depends on whether or not anyone knows that's what happens.

or, you know, whether or not that happens at all. not a huge fan of that kind of setting.

>not a huge fan of that kind of setting.
Yeah, there was already a Mage the Ascension set mostly in America, called Mage the Ascension, where you used the magick of memes to kill people with total coincidences.

So wait, would America be a vacuum of magical/supernatural/monstrous elements or would they begin to arise from within it?

You could always provide commentary on one of the alternatives.

Makes me feel kinda stupid, but I've never been positive on what makes something a Rare Earth element, get the feeling it's just as simple as being rarely found on earth though

Well that was more the belief fuels/creates gods thing most fantasy settings have nowadays, but yeah, it's not as interesting as the potential economic shifts and cultural clashes that would occur

I'd imagine there'd be a big push for expeditions to seek new plants and trading partners, actually how would that be done? Contacting an unknown nation to trade is something we haven't had to do in a long time

The last thread assumed vacuum but admitted if the belief=god thing held true then things like YHWH and Satan may pop up

entire new world to explore, new diseases to deal with, new races, new cultures, new laws of physics to explore. Possible civilizations on the moon to fight with so we can keep satellites in orbit. Possibly have to employ digital peace keeping force to fight literal cyberdemons.

It's just a name for a bunch of metals that are useful in electronics.

How long does it take for other societies to start defecting?

Assuming a standard fantasy setting, the average standard of living in the newly-displaced America is going to be several thousand times that of the surrounding area. Some will remain loyal to king and country, but a large majority are going to want in on that action.

Does America go full manifest destiny and start annexing everything, or would we want to keep the rate of assimilation low? A large amount of new citizens will produce a severe supply shock to labor, but it would come with a demand shock as well, since we'd need to implement infrastructure over huge parts of land.

They're gleaned from rare elements and tend to be really unpleasant for the environment to extract.

From our world:

Rare earth metals to continue building microprocessors and integrated circuits. Otherwise we'll have to shift back to technology from the 50's - 70's that, while serviceable and durable, isn't as fast as modern day technology.

Natural gas, coal, and oil will be next, mainly to keep the lights on, houses warm, and vehicles running to continue farming and transporting goods around the continent.

After that we'll be looking outward for areas to exploit, like for radioactive material, ways to use any potential magic source for ways to generate electricity.

Rare earth elements are elements that bind to others very easily and therefore aren't found in their pure form anywhere and are very hard to separate without producing toxic by products. Too bad most of our "green tech" needs them to work.

I'm personally prefer absent or low key deific intervention. Have cryptids and so on from the american continent be part of a sort of 'age of magic' feel with the world left behind being in a low age of magic while the one NA has been brought to has a high magic level. So it's less "Belief makes Satan/YHWH real" more "Wendigos and Skinwalkers were in hibernation. Get your shotgun."

oh and cultural icons like Super Heroes or Luchadores have to be interesting to your hypothetical orc/elvish/dwarvish waifu.

>belief fuels/creates gods thing most fantasy settings have nowadays

Is it really that common? I can't think of any setting where that applies, except maybe Exalted as a function of the Cult background. Real movers and shakers are still far beyond needing mortals there too.

Wasn't there an alternate history novel, or series of novels, where the island of Nantucket got transported back in time to central Germany?

I'd say that entrepreneurial Murikans would see huge advantages for things like centaurs and giants. They have a hard time getting enough food, while being less full of surprises than other fantasy denizens -- they can't really blend in, would be mostly at the mercy of their employers, and can't use cars etc., while being great for heavy lifting and such. Very useful.

It's basically been confirmed that in the Forgotten Realms setting, for every god other than Ao (the Overgod), the rest need the worship/belief of their followers to keep their existence going and maintain their divine portfolio/powers.

And even for Ao, it's said that he answers to a higher power, which we infer to be the GM of the campaign set in the FR.

The closest is that post Time of Troubles, Io cursed the Faerunian Pantheon to have to maintain worshipers or else they would lose their powers (but worshipers don't = power gain, just loss of worshipers means power loss), and it had representation in a Conan story as well.

there's 300 million people in America alone, nevermind Canada and Mexico and it's generally agreed we're taking everything to the panama canal, at least, to the fantasy world.

Add into it a crisis event that kills off a lot of people and on average most fantasy worlds being fairly medievil in terms of technology (barring some kind of industrialized magic or diefic blessings to wash away the filth and feed the populace) and you're looking at 100 Million people worldwide in fantasy land.

Immigration is gonna be an issue but within a generation or so the new economy won't have an issue dealing with an influx of immigrants ready to integrate with the Three Kingdoms.

Those are two different series.

1632 is about a West Virginia town in Central Germany, while the Nantucket series is about Nantucket in the Bronze Age Mediterranean.

>Transformers vs GI Joe

WHAT A RIDE

>Those are two different series.

Thanks!

So it works in Forgotten Realms, Conan and Exalted. Seems pretty much anywhere else though America just gets to contend with whatever gods they have by relying on science and technology though.

Force the people in conquered territory out and offer sweetheart deals to white settlers to move in and claim the land. As you conquer your way south, repeat this process until you drive the shitskins into the strait of Magellan.

Yo Joe Motherfucker

>Possible civilizations on the moon to fight with so we can keep satellites in orbit
Hope we have Neil Armstrong, he has experience in fucking shit up on the moon.

So When this happens, The gubment goes to shit, as the narrative doesn't matter, people will look for a leader over bueracracy, nukes will be dropped on any real threat, and we may will an new god into existance. Manifest destiny will begin anew, and people, now in need of protection, will probably stop trying to grab guns

What if Australia were in a fantasy land?

he's dead, user

>regular Australian tuesday
memes aside, they'd probably do okay.

It already is, mate.

Isn't it?

Gun laws get repealed, in all likelyhood, abbos integrate with orcs

Once magic is confirmed as real, though, it probably won't take too long before we have engineers working on a way to use it as a power source to supplant traditional fuels like coal. The Bottomless Jug/Wall of Fire steam engine is a popular example in DnD analogues.

>Abos teach the Orcs petrol magic
God save us all.

>He didn't catch the Touhou reference.
Pleb.

Personally I like to think/hope that, at first North America would be a land/region devoid of magic, where we are still reliant upon our technology and science to keep things going.

But as the years go by and we learn more about the world we've been teleported to and the continued integration of beliefs, cultures, and technology, that magic begins to sprout forth in certain areas. First, in locations with significant cultural belief of the concept/idea of 'magic,' and then after 50-100 years, as magic continues to seep through the country and into our beliefs and technology, we eventually become as acclimated to seeing someone throwing a fireball as we do seeing someone pull out a firearm.

And then they start to intermingle, and THEN we get the really freaky stuff, thanks to engineers getting their creative, physics-breaking hands on things that break the laws of nature and physics.

>Neverending magazines
>no recoil
>no jams
>runes on bullets
lord have mercy

Lets talk about gods, pantheons, and the whole 'belief = power' schtick
If this were the case, I would expect a brand new religion to come up out of nowhere that suddenly gets a ton of traction, that has the power to create literally anything and is subservient to man, and totally isnt a social project of the CIA and NSA

Centaurs are Texas' purest form of country wife. A buxom pair as if they were homegrown, and a powerful steed for cattle wrangling. What more could a cowbow ask for?

If the whole "belief = power" thing exists in this world, there's a good chance that YHWH would suddenly pop into existence shortly after North America shows up in this world. The most likely thing would be that it's a lawful evil or lawful neutral diety, and has domain over Law, Anger, and Fire.

The more interesting scenarios would be if Satan, New Testament God, and/or Muhammad also show up.

> cowbow

Do you just have that saved in case someone makes that typo?

YHWH, yes. As to Old or New Testament YHWH, thats an unknown, however I would think it would be New Testament considering most churches and their followers arent the WBC or live their lives like the Amish
Satan even more so. I would think there are more people who believe in a devil before they believe in God
I instinctually would say no to Muhammad because of how small Muslims are proportionally to the rest of the USA, but then I remembered that is still a few million or so, and thats bound to be enough people to create a firm Muhammad and Allah-esque diety
Thinking about it, based on the above, I would think that almost every major religion out there would have their diety(ies) created, just based on the sheer size of the US population.

Even still, my point on the CIA or the NSA using social engineering to create a diety to benefit the US government is in the distinct realm of possibilities

>Le Pix fer Ants.

>not Lawful Good

>the NSA and the CIA engineer a religion to make a god that benefits the government
>they don't tell each other
>now there's two of these gods running around

optionally, the CIA's is solely for their own benefit

It's complicated by the fact that most people who subscribe to an Abrahamic religion will agree that they all worship the same God, but that the other sects are just doing it wrong. I don't think you'd get a lot of different YHWH, but rather one that was an amalgam, probably in proportion to the distribution of faiths.

/tips fedora

>not calling fedora at
>>YHWH would suddenly pop into existence

If we go by Old Testament YHWH, that dude is probably Lawful Evil based on how much of a dick he is to his followers in the books.

New Testament God is probably Neutral Good.

>Cow

I like to think Old Testament God was a grumpy asshole who just didn't understand why humanity couldn't fucking follow his rules if they were going to live in his house.

Then he realized humanity was comparatively retarded/autistic and backpedalled out of guilt to become the New Testament God.

One half would be A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court. After bringing up the fellow human populace on to our cultural level, it's time for mass capitalism and industrialisation.

And then he realized that the whole be nice to everybody thing didn't really work out for the general faithful who started destroying Roman shit and generally being idiots, so he became Allah and decided to give a big fuck you to everyone a few centuries later.

Less religion speculating, more Americans in fantasy shenanigans.

>Less religion speculating, more Americans in fantasy shenanigans.
... But America is a deeply religious society.
>The Debate on Religion IS the Americans in Fantasy Shenanigans.

>YFW you really could cast a clerical spell to poll G-d's opinion on Fags.

>tfw you remember when that edit was made
Good times

Alright, lemme ask, how much of the United States Navy is taken along for the trip? Because that really does effect what America does, considering they may have to rebuild the majority Atlantic and Pacific fleet, and if it does come along, then they have the most powerful navy in comparison to Mexico and Canada, but the most powerful navy in any conception of fantasy kingdoms, not to mention the 1st and 2nd most powerful airforces on the planet

It's getting pretty trite. Can we move on to a new talking point? Like how Walmart would try to capitalize on magic? Like set aisles for novice adventurers? Or having outsourcing their stores in the middle of another country's marketplace?

Well, it wouldn't actually be God, but in such a setting a being that would /call/ itself God would show up.

I don't exactly recommend worshiping it.

>someone tries pulling a snake oil scam on the locals
>it turns out snake oil is a pretty potent alchemical ingredient

Just the stuff at home, I think.

...now that you mention it, does Hawaii come along for the ride? It's not exactly close to North America.

>it wouldn't actually be God, but in such a setting a being that would /call/ itself God would show up

>God is real
>but so is this guy
That would be funny for about a minute.

that's why I've been pulling against the whole "belief warps reality" thing

All of the vessels docked in other countries, the mainland and the islands, and ones currently on voyage. The only bases that get transportwd are the ones in America + Hawaii, Alaska, etc.

Real question would really be two things:
Would the dollar, Canadian dollar, and the peso still be fiat? I can see some crazy shit if it remains the case. Even if it isnt, I can definitely see some clandestine CIA ops to steal boatloads of precious metals to boost American currency
>Merchants, beware venturing forth into the Kingdoms of Glass, Iron, and Fire if you bring coins of gold or silver, as these metals are incredibly coveted by the peoples of all three nations, even the extremely prosperous Allied States.
Secondly, how other fantasy nations react to having a revitalized American manufacturing pumping out massive amounts of cheap, high-quality goods onto their market?

>Would the dollar, Canadian dollar, and the peso still be fiat?
Yes, if only out of inertia making it suicide to change, going back to gold would require us to massively reorganize the banking system and wouldn't help as long as the American economy resembles anything of it's modern incarnation

>Secondly, how other fantasy nations react to having a revitalized American manufacturing pumping out massive amounts of cheap, high-quality goods onto their market?
Honestly it has a high chance of fucking their economy, best case they end up relying on america for stuff really fast as their middle class booms, worst case civil unrest, most likely case is massive tariffs and/or limits to trading and a shit ton of smugglers

What sort of races would flock to America and what would they be looking for there? Elves? Dwarves? Orcs? Halflings? Monster girls!? DRAGONS!?

Elves would probably be into the whole National Park thing.

>What sort of races would flock to America and what would they be looking for there?
Probably any race that isnt completely evil, has some form of intelligence, or bent on killing shit 24/7
>Elves?
Probably come there to see the various nature and shit. Considering how North America has almost every single climate on the face of the earth, I think they would enjoy what they found
>Dwarves?
Well we have huge as fuck mountains that also have lots of resources and/or precious metals in them, not to mention tons of shiny, fat loot, not to mention shit tons of alcohol
>Orcs?
Well I would think a deal of citizenship for military service is a win-win for them, especially if we let them do some of the new New World scouting instead of risking American lives. Even still I think they would be up for typical frat and sports culture
>Halflings?
Probably the same reason any regular person would come to America
>Monster girls!?
Cant think of any reason beyond curiosity, but I want them to come for the sake of my dick
>DRAGONS!?
Well, we have lots of valuable shit, but they would likely get BTFO if they tried to raid any towns or shit

>bear-people show up after misunderstanding the "right to bear arms" thing

>If the country of North America was somehow teleported to a standard fantasy world, what would be the immediate repercussions?

Panic among the globalist elites as their lifestyle could no longer be propped up by multi-national corporations using third world labor.

Followed by immediate relief as they realize they could exploit cheap goblin labor instead.

>Would they be able to keep the Internet going?

Yes, but computer parts would get expensive until we could rebuild the manufacturing infrastructure we sent to China.

>Would schools have to teach Dwarvish and Elvish?

Elvish, no. They wouldn't want us butchering their language, so they would just learn English and start building influence with the media.

Dwarvish, yes. Fucking Dwarves coming here taking our jobs, and not even bothering to learn the language. Fucking liberals teaching out kids that damn beardy tongue in our schools. Fucking beardies digging up the Rockies. Time to take back our Purple Mountains Majesty!

>Natural gas, coal, and oil will be next, mainly to keep the lights on, houses warm, and vehicles running to continue farming and transporting goods around the continent.

Implying we wouldn't use clean burning Dragons.

>Like how Walmart would try to capitalize on magic? Like set aisles for novice adventurers?

Yeah, Walmart has the cheapest swords, but their made in Notmordor. You know how crappy that orc craftsmanship is.

>after 50-100 years
You're underestimating us. Try like ten.

That might be how long it takes for more "mundane" things like health potions or any magical alloys scavenged and reverse engineered from that evil fucker, but the incredibly complex stuff is going to wait until after we retool the economy to the new situation.

Wait, how far are we going to establish what's American?

•American Samoa.
•Guam.
•Northern Mariana Islands.
•Puerto Rico.
•U.S. Virgin Islands.

Do these come along for the ride too?

Of coursh!

I think those are all too far out.

I like to think they weren't close enough to be pulled fully into the new reality, but sort of strung across the interplanar medium like a rickety wooden bridge between [World name here] and Earth.

To give the setting something to do a few decades or generations down the timeline.

>MURICA!!!! and the neighbors get TP'ed into generic fantasyland #102387243893479347893479.

>All of Veeky Forums hasn't gone looking for wizards to let them be the little girl after like a month.

Seriously faggots step up your game.

So, like, if you 'island hopped' along the American pacific territories in order of proximity from nearest to the mainland to furthest you might actually work your way out to the home dimension?

Kinda a neat idea. How long do you think it would take for explorers to work that out and would it work in reverse?

This is how I envision things going within the first 50-100 years of North America getting teleported into this fantasy world.

Year 1:
> Lots of restructuring and shifting of production away from a consuming nation to a producing nation, increase in "blue collar" jobs as factories get back in running order. Securing of borders for all 3 countries (assuming it's USA, Canada, and Mexico down to Panama Canal that gets ported over) against foreign invaders as people begin to explore. Reinforcing and fixing existing infrastructure.

Years 2-5:
Stabilization of what we need to survive in terms of food, consumption of electricity, etc. Borders are stabilized and reset, and the beginnings of exploration start to occur.

Years 5-10:
Finding out more of the world we've landed in, setting up trade routes with new locations, beginning the process of either shifting our economy off the dollar and into actual hard currency, or the introduction of the dollar (and credit) to our new neighbors. NASA has probably launched a few satellites by now, so we'll start to have accurate readings of the world's geography and topography, which lets us better find resources to mine. Beginnings of intermingling of cultures and beliefs between the NA countries and the rest of the new world.

Years 11-20:
Continued intermingling of cultures, histories, etc., as people begin to experiment more fully/carefully with any potential magic that might exist in this world; testing pros and cons of it, how it reacts with our technology, etc. (People might've imported magical items before, but it's only now that we start to get creative with it).

Years 21-50:
Continued blending of science and technology, eventually leading to new schools of magic being taught/discovered. NA begins to offer 'public' teaching options of schools of magic, technomagic, etc., for the new generation, as the old one begins the process of storing and securing our knowledge on paper and in digital format.

Not sure. Probably a few years after the economy got back on track and the evil wizard was shot before any research into planes bears any fruit.

Probably a couple years before they could chart the way back effectively.

I'm imagining some real Bermuda Triangle shenanigans on either side, before anyone figures it out. US Navy signals from ships left at Hawaii coming through on stormy nights on "this" side, a Kraken riddled with bullet wounds washing up in Chile on the Earth side. Debris and lost souls, seemingly at random, filtering through across the "bridge".

Now, a native wizard would notice something was up straight away, but they'd have to /get/ there first. Which is another reason it would take a few years.

To say nothing of the strangeness the islanders find themselves in, suspended between worlds.

On a side note, a little slice of France, in the form of those islands /very/ close to the Canadian coast, would be dragged along with North America. So that's neat.

I'm surprised we haven't made Uncle Sam a god in this setting yet.

Nobody has cared about uncle sam in a long time.

Is there room to expand? If our borders weren't walled off by oceans and there were more natural resources it would be our manifest destiny to conquer the planet.