/EMN/ Eldritch Moon Spoilers general

GATEWATCH ASSEMBLE

How in God's name is this not green?
Why does it cost fucking 6?

It's white because Gideon made the last planeswalker tutor and its six mana because you could grab up to I don't know how much mana worth of planeswalkers if you're making that kind of deck.

If we're talking Christmasland, the best value you can get out of it is 16CMC worth of planeswalkers for 4WW, with Ugin and Nicol Bolas.

But Deploy the Gatewatch isn't a full tutor like Call of the Gatewatch is. It works similar to Oath of Nissa.

Or you could get one Chandra and stills be doing good. Or get a Gideon you wouldn't have drawn in four turns. Or nothing. Really depends on how serious you are about this planeswalker deck.

This is a mediocre card. If it dumped the cards in the yard and was black, it'd be top tier. If it did exactly the same thing and was green or blue, it'd be amazing. Because its white, it's relegated exclusively to janky commander decks and pay to win bullshit that will need a couple more formats to fully realize itself.

Someone is gonna break the fuck outta this in a week, tops.

Continuing the artist debate

A lot of artists are quitting MTG. Mohrbacher stopped, for example, and he was one of the better ones.

They really need to get their head out their ass and start offering actually decent licensing deals to the artists

He was one of my favorite artists too
I blame hasbro, didn't used to be like this

Total cost to use:
>$80 for one play set of decently competitive standard planeswalker.
>$25 for one play set of a planeswalker you enjoy but it sees no competetive play.
>$150 for the other planeswalkers and spicing up the mana base with bfz and soi dual lands.
>$8 for a play set of this.
Total: $263
Actual value: nothing at all, go upgrade some budget decks with the stuff you bought and cut your losses.

Maybe with the new change in licensing that allows artists to print playmats and sleeves of their own card art will change something but I don't know. Mohrbacher was pretty pissed that WOTC licensed his art to Ultra Pro for mad dosh and he saw none of that money

I just want my Topplegeist playmat goddammit

>Seb McKinnon will never be contracted to make a planeswalker in his signature style

Why even live

Maybe an alternate art in a supplementary product? hopehopehopehopehopeanon. hope.

I just want a playmat that just has the Magic logo and set colors of one of my favorite sets. Can't into graphic design, so can't do it custom.

Maybe the new planeswalker decks?

He did get to make the WMCQ promo

>you think the geist led you under this bridge to show you the treasure
>he's actually trying to make you notice the Emrakul latice tree roots in the lower right corner

It's because Hasbro treat their artists like shit. Shit pay, shit job security, lack of artistic freedom, and you don't even own your own art. Look at this shit Doesn't help that Wizards feel the need to add this terrible card filter on cards like Topplegeist and Oracle of Dust, making them look way worse in the card image.

I play topplegeist, I didn't know he had eyes. Why did they put all the candelabras everywhere in the foreground? It's suck a waste.

>lack of artistic freedom

I don't know about that - the blurbs they get that describe what they should be drawing are pretty open, and from what I can tell from the interviews the artists get to collaborate on the style guide.

I think the main issues are the money and the licensing deals the artists get.

I would buy a playset if he ever did an alternate version of Liliana the Veil.

I am buying one of every single he made

Fucking Vintage Masters why are you online-only

The planeswalker intro packs, including all walkers printed in them as well as their unique support cards will all be standard legal, correct?

How many planeswalker will we end up getting per block then? 8?

Yeah but the intro packs will probably suck ass.

I was dicking around with a standard meme deck consisting of only Deploy the Gatewatch, a Various number of the Jacetice League PWs, and a various number of their oaths. Hit Jace and Chandra, and actually won a game like this.

They've never gone on record as to how many intro packs there will be per set, but I imagine at least two. So that makes at least nine planeswalkers per block.

They said the intro pack ones won't be aggressively costed and intended for casual play but with that amount of inflation in planeswalker numbers it's only a matter of time before a busted one is printed

Based on how Wizards have described it... yeah. They make it sound like the planeswalkers will be gimped on purpose so they would see play only in casual and kitchen table play.

Well if the cost is going to be the issue instead of their abilities then guess what! Just cheat them on the fucking board with

I don't blame Hasbro itself, Hasbro spends a lot of money on marketing and key art for IPs they oversee directly.
It's WotC, they got filled by "new blood", even made an article celebrating how most of the executive roles were now taken by women sometime around RTR (coincidentally soon before ORI development). Soon after we got a lot of milennial shitheads as webmasters or PR, forums closed, website nuked, diversity pandering, a sickening obsession with selling the IP to Hollywood and on art itself Jeremy Jarvis is still the lead art director but it is said that he's being smotheringly micro-managed by branding and merchandising to make art as inoffensive and streamlined as possible.

Mohrbacher, Schimmer and others left not because of money itself, but because they were being asked to produce art unlike what they where hired for and Mohrbacher particularily got mad because his Therosian gods designs were being used in products other than the card game and accessories without giving him any sort of royalties.
Other games like Legend of the Cryptids or Hearthstone pay nearly the same with way less micromanaging and actually pay you if your art gets used in anything additional to the game itself.

I really want MM3's Liliana art to be made by him, Karla Ortiz or Winona Nelson.
Argyle's art looks ok when you see it on a computer but the actual card is probably they ugliest Liliana has ever looked.

>argyle's art looks ok

Hahahaah no

We will never have another good plot while Gatewatch exists. Gatewatch managed to fuck up Innistrad, their best plot in years.

I have absolutely 0 hope for steampunk india, unless they print designated shitting street as a rare land.

>what a nice guy
Oh yeah! I forgot the geists were putting up a decent resistance against Emrakul.

Maybe it'll just be Chandra?

Someone should ask him who's dick Jace sucked to make this all work.

The really irritates me since we will never have stories like the original Ravnica block or Dark-Fallen Empires-Ice Age cycle.

At first I had hopes the demon Withengar would make a return after being released from Elbrus back in DA. But now it seems my hopes have been crushed

or odyssey

man odyssey was a breath of fresh air

Has there been any Demon cards spoiled in EDM or better yet, Eldrazi Demons?

To add insult to injury, it's not just any Planeswalker, but specifically a member of the Gatewatch meaning that any other existing or new Planeswalker will get the short end of the stick storywise.

Guys, guys...

I really want a BG delirium deck to be a thing but I know it won't be.

Why is WOTC so cruel to player who like BG or Jund in standard.

You have your 20 € mythic

Please stop killing Magic

Not a single demon yet

It'd be one thing if they were just showing up, but protagonist just makes it annoying.

We'll never focus on anyone else and have the Gatewatch member show up as a side thing.

It's not that great. Trying to get delirium online takes time that OP uses to have bord advantage or remove my 9 eur(20$ is the us insane price) mythic.

I didn't even pre order that card since I see more chances of a BG deck with Emmy to be a thing than a deck with delirium and that BG mythic.

I never noticed that.

I liked that geist already, but now we can truly be friends.

Surely the casual audience of Magic will get tired of the Jacestice League at some point right?

right? ;_;

I wouldn't mind if a member of the Gatewatch made a cameo appearance every block with a occasional block once in a while centered around them to progress their story. Having them be the protagonist of EVERY block is a bit too much and I this is coming from a person that doesn't hate most of the members of the Gatewatch.

*board

Nah, apparently the Gatewatch is going there to check out the fair.

>tfw horrendously fucking bored of the Gatewatch already

Agreed. That would be totally fine. I like most of the members, but I just know that I'm going to get utterly sick of them within a few blocks.

>They're just going on vacation

What even? I had assumed Chandra was just going there to find some closure.

Got a link to the article? I'm not getting anything out of Google.

I wish we could go to 2020 india alone, no gatekeepers only streetshitters.

Fucking Thopters.

>Gideon and Liliana may not have seen eye to eye, but that did not stop them from fighting side by side
GIDEON x LILIANA CONFIRMED

>In this weeks episode of mtg, Jace and his wacky palls go to the local fair! Nothing could go wrong on this beautiful day!
>Meanwhile in the Legion of Doom...

Chandra goes there for vacation
Being dense, Gideon goes there to relax because he thinks that's what Chandra is doing
Nissa wants to keep bonding with world souls
Jace goes there to make sure the three of them don't do anything stupid
Lili goes because it's not like she likes Jace or anything, she just knows he'd probably get hurt if she didn't, b-baka.

>Hey so we sealed Emrakul in the moon, good job guys
>But Lili's got this cursed veil thing we should probably look into
>And Nahiri absconded away without getting her revenge, maybe we should find her before she unleashes more monstrosities on Innistrad
>Or worse, our planes
>Also we might want to check in with Ugin to tell him what happened so he can do something? I mean he's the eldrazi expert

>Sorry man there's this sci-fi expo at Chandra's and I already got tickets for all of us

For Closure, not vacation
But I'm sure that she's going to have some hand in the Aether Revolt.

That's the worst thing ever. Why? Are they specifically targeting children and retards or something?

>alright our duty as members of the Gatewatch is to literally protect every single plane of existence from every threat imaginable
>Eh but fuck it there's a fair at sci-fi India we don't have anything better to do
>Hey Jace aren't you like some sort of Guild thing? Don't you have something to do with that? You haven't been to Ravnica in awhile
>Wait did we ever catch Nahiri...or Ob Nixilis?
>EH FUCK IT

I can tell the writing is gonna be fantastic already

Avengers superhero movie bandwagon.

>Sorin doesn't bother explaining anything to Jace
>Or Anyone
>So when they find Nahiri, they automatically assume Sorin's at fault
>They offer her membership in the gatewatch
>Her quote is just smug as fuck.

So the first set is going to be setting up Kaladesh, and the second is probably going to be a bunch of nature lovers trying to overthrow the government's grip on aether and mana production.

Probably going to be some environmental thing based on the set symbol being a flower. I'm willing to bet Nissa jumps on board and Chandra helps out because she wants payback on the establishment.

So the second set focuses on that revolution, which will also get resolved in the same set, so it'll probably end up feeling rushed and unsatisfactory.

Apparently Sorin gets turned into a statue or something

But that's retarded, it would have been hip before batman vs superman killed the whole genre.

Then again, maybe it'll be like Captain America: Civil War and we'll have Tayimo, Sorin, Liliana and Tibault? vs Jace, Gideon, Nissa and Chandra. Could be neat, maybe.

Is this a fucking anime?

Tamiyo is done until Kamigawa at the earliest.

Yes.

Seriously. Why do they have such a problem with just splitting up the Gatewatch?

Send Jace and Lili back to Ravnica for a while, so Jace can get his affairs in order and Lili can brief him on what demons they have to kill. Have Gideon and Nissa out looking for Ob or Nahiri. Then have Chandra by herself on Kaladesh taking a bit of a breather, calling for help if she needs it.

Or they could have even not had Gideon or Chandra show up on Innistrad to help out, and have them be busy on Kaladesh dealing with the Aether revolt. Have things happen simultaneously in order to give a reason why they don't just show up and curbstomp everything.

I hope the movie bombs enough so that they can stop focusing on the Jacetice League.

First set is Chandra and Gideon going to Kaladesh, Chandra is going for closure but Gideon thinks it is a date.
Jace is on Ravnica catching up on paperwork
Lili is creating more for him by killing people in order to reduce the paperwork
Nissa is bonding with the soul of Innistrad which replenishes the once extinct Innistradi elves.
Second set comes and shit is going down
So Gideon takes out his magical gatewatch conch and blows into it.
We get scenes across the multiverse of members of the gatewatch hearing the call and planeswalking to Kaladesh.
No one knows where Gideon got the conch, but it does get a legendary artifact.

>Sorin literally becomes Kars

I never said their decisions aren't retarded.

these companies are a business first and a hobby second, everything they do is to maximise profit, this is just what happens.

im sure if we were to crunch the sales numbers we would find that planeswalkers are the most popular cards and are in high demand. the crowd that plays magic competitively and just wants whatever card is good does not represent the majority of magic players. this is exactly whats happening with warhammer right now, casuals are always going to be catered to because they bring in the most revenue.

>Gideon and Chandra on Kaladesh
>Jace and Lili on Ravnica
>Nissa staying back on Innistrad to wrap things up

Too bad this makes sense, so we know what plot setup they aren't doing.

Market research happens before the product is made. Most everything you consume is on some degree of culture lag. Throw in MtG's dev cycle, and now you're dealing with cultural trends from 2-3 years ago. They finally caught up with Hollywood's "rehash everything" trend by remaking the three most popular planes, and fucking up two of them.

When are we getting the Evil-Gatewatch of Tibalt, Ob Nix, Nahiri, Garruk, Tezzeret and Nicol Bolas?

They can have their stupid fucking evil-oath where they pledge to be supervillians forever

Garruk isn't even a villain though. He just got fucked over badly.

Realistically, how likely is the white/black card to be the missing Angel sister?

Yeah, sure, planeswalkers are popular, but that doesn't mean we need the same planeswalkers every block.

Nothing wrong with having the focus be on a native and having a member of the gatewatch show up to help them instead of being the center of attention.

Heck, they even have those new Planeswalker intro boxes. Just make it so those cards are standard legal, and come out with new ones every so often to keep the Gatewatch in standard so casuals can use them. Hell, that offers a great alternative to their core set problem, since they can also throw in whatever standard staples they want to have without needing to waste space reprinting them every other block.

Seeing how Nahiri is a villian now, Garruk is not not a villian for long.

I hope they get their fucking movie already and it bombs so hard they're put in red numbers and have to stop begging us to buy their shit through actually pandering to the players and removing the tumblr cancer and milennial business execs from their staff.

Yeah, Garruk is basically guaranteed villain now that Lili joined the good guys. Even if he's only there for revenge.

That said, I get the strange feeling they're just going to try and sweep him under the rug to make everyone forget that they had a mono-green walker before Nissa.

We already are.
Hell even Salvation weenies are mostly tired of them save for waifu/husbandofags.

WotC is too lazy to have conflicted evil or decent writting now. I'm sure the next time Garruk shows up he'll be pledging his allegiance to Hilter Bolas and pushing a grandma down some stairs

I like Garruk being a villain and I really hope they'll push his identity as "the guy who kills planeswalkers". That part of his character should be pushed both in story and cards.

Yes I hate planeswalkers that much

Garruk already went B so he'll likely be BG or B againt.

That angel is confirmed to be long dead. They covered that in their exposition article for the set, A Gaze Blank and Pitiless.

Phyrexian Negator pls go.

Aether Revolt is caused by Tibalt removing a single screw.

Oh my god that would be fucking perfect

So yeah we won't see it

For a while I thought they were a cool, new idea, but now they seem extremely oppressive with how they're becoming the center of attention. Let the natives figure shit out for once.

This is the stupidest idea I've ever heard for mtg

That said, this is definitely what WotC is going to do

I can already picture in my mind the evil-oath cards and them being like the Team Rocket of every set

Because their site is still nuked after they supposedly "fixed" it.
Almost all pre-Origins articles are gone.

Right. Avacyn killed her at some point I think, due to them making deals with monsters when most necessary.

That said, with Avacyn out of the way, a resurgence of that flight would be pretty cool to see, especially if she shows up to try and unite both the humans and monsters against the Eldrazi.

>Tibalt becomes aware they're part of a fucking trading card game
>He becomes the Deadpool of Magic