/ccg/ Custom Card General /cct/

Tri-color planeswalkers edition!

To make cards, download MSE for free from here
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Read this before you post your shitty card!
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Art sources.
digital-art-gallery.com/
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT:

Hey, thanks for the feedback!

>Brian Li Sung
Hrm. Upping costs I think is the best solution. Looks like it might be best to get rid of the untap ability.

>Hunter Rose
>This is just very good.
Well, thank you.
>Some kind of vampire or hunter image would be nice.
Not quite sure what this means though. I mean, it is a picture of Grendel, that's who the card is for.

>Witchblade
OK. Though I should probably look more at the character to get a better idea of what she should do anyway. Some of these characters are a bit difficult due to how there isn't as much info on them as there is on more popular characters.

>Dredd
Well, what do you think Dredd should do? I have another version kicking around that destroys tapped creatures. I still want him to have a strong White focus though. Because he still is, after all, THE LAW!!!

hrmph WTB faction ideas

>Looks great :3 What comin is that?
It's Grendel again. Most of the story follows this guy, Hunter Rose, also known as Grendel, a notorious crimelord who controls nearly all gang activity in New York. He's incredibly gifted, mentally and physically. He's basically what Bruce Wayne would've become if he had chosen to be a criminal, though there are quite a few differences, and Grendel has a lot more to offer than other evil Batman clones (looking at you, Nemesis).

Hunter is eventually killed by his archnemesis, Argent, a Native American werewolf. After that, the story continues to the far future as it follows various others who take on the Grendel identity and how they use it through the centuries.

It's a pretty fun comic, very noir, very light on the superhero aspect. Grendel has a mask and... that's basically it. There's some other stuff too, like how Hunter and the others might actually be possessed by a demon that makes them insane and violent.

Hmm. That is an interesting tradeoff. Your cards gain better abilities, even though your opponents are likely in a stronger position. Not sure on the name though. Meekness? Humility?

>Meekness? Humility?
yeeeah I'm thinkin'

Maybe this.

Or add a cost to the ping is the safer route. It's 2 damage/turn free.

>Grendel
Oh yeah I know, just saying in a dnd-ish/medieval setting.

>As long as you control the most # of XYZ permanents, [effect]

>Whenever a creature dies, if X/ you may pay Y, [effect]

>Whenever a card enters a gy/XYZ permanent is destroyed, [effect]

>Hate stuff.
Pic
>Some cards, some old, some new :3

>Gnome
I always love when Magic ditches typical fantasy conventions. Gnomes? Artifact creatures. Dwarves? Barely even exist.

>Or add a cost to the ping is the safer route. It's 2 damage/turn free.
I meant that too. That's why I said "costs" I was talking about more than the casting cost.

>Oh yeah I know, just saying in a dnd-ish/medieval setting.
What, you want it to look like an actual Magic card or something? You can take the design if you want and use your own art.

>Greenspeaker
Why does this have the old frame? And why is it Human, it's obviously an Elf. Personally, I think the ability is too good. Maybe three mana of one color instead.

>Aluxious
>Other creatures you control get +1/+1 and are black Werewolves in addition to their other colors and types.
I think.
>Whenever a creature dealt damage by a creature you control this turn dies, return it to the battlefield under your control tapped at the beginning of the next end step.

>Fadeblade Carck
WU Viashino? Eh... I don't really like it, but whatevs.
>nonartifact, noncreature
Alphabetical order.

Woah, wait, what? Two spells and you can exile any creature? Really not a fan of that.

>Jyek
Uh... are you really sure about that first ability? It seems kinda nuts.

>Yawgmoth's Adept
Hmm. Probably imbalanced as fuck, gets a full playset in the top 8 of the next tournament after it's printed, and would get banned to oblivion afterwards. Yawgmoth deserves nothing less. Good job.

>Gethsemane
Why does it produce Green mana? As for the ability, I think it's horribly imbalanced. I'm already thinking of ways to try and break it. Karmic Guide comes to mind a lot, and a creature that can untap lands, preferably one from the Urza block.

>Infinity Prism
Should the draw be separate from the mana? Eh, just thinking. And I'm not entirely sure on the last ability, but I think that alone should make it 5 or 6 mana by itself. Oh, and it's "color" not "colour"

1/2

>The Song of My People
Note my capitalization.
>Add X mana in any combination of colors to your mana pool, where X is the total power of creatures you control.
I'd like to see how this plays.

2/2

Which version do you like best?

god fuck Meld is such a dumb idea that I had to do something this stupid.

I'm sorry.

I love it. Do one for Lilli and Nissa.

fuck one second...

welp snowflake city time

Is this clear enough?

Own and control.

Maybe? I'm not sure how to decrease the ambiguity without making it wordy as fuck.

I like the one with the moat ability

Who?

Meh, it wouldn't be too hard.
>Creatures you control have "Whenever this creature blocks or becomes blocked by one or more creatures, you may pay 1RW. If you do, this creature deals damage equal to its power to one of those creatures."

>card
>When ~ is put into your graveyard from anywhere, add B to your mana pool.
>When ~ is put into exile from anywhere, add U to your mana pool.

Peter Quill, a human/Spartoi hybrid known as Star-Lord. His backstory is needlessly complicated, so I sum it up thus: Dad was an alien, eventually went to space and became the Star-Lord. Had adventures, got caught and thrown into jail. Got released to lead a suicide mission with other prisoners, but survived. From there, he recruited the other prisoners to become the Guardians of the Galaxy, a super team designed to take out crises in space. Got trapped in a Lovecraftian hellhole universe with no way out with his pal, Richard Rider, Nova. Later reappeared with a radically different appearance, backstory, and personality. I think he's still trapped, and the new Peter Quill is a doppelganger from another dimension.

Oh, and he isn't anywhere near the most obscure person I've done a card for. This one is probably it though.

How would you word the text on this creature? Am I doing it right?

>Undead Wizard
>not Zombie
What is this shit?

Does that mean that we have to do Tamiyo and Gideon next? Tamideon? Gidyo?

Soriyo.
Tamiyo & Sorin obviously.

Gideon's a beta he stays alone.

Clearly it should be Sorin and Nahiri.
It's enemy colors so far, so Gideon would need to merge with someone like Koth.

>Gideon would need to merge with someone like Koth.
Kothion
it's official. Someone do it I already did two :0

Here's an idea, an Eidolon (Spirit) that Bestows itself upon a Returned (Zombie) and Melds them into...Elspeth!

>Kothion
Explosive Heiromancy?...Fuck. Yes!

>Elspeth, Eidolon + Elspeth, Returned = Elspeth, Reborn
I can dig it.

I'm in the process of designing a Naya planeswalker. Which of these ultimates do you like best?

>You get an emblem with "Creatures you control get +3/+3 and have first strike, lifelink, and trample."

>You get an emblem with "At the beginning of your end step, put two 5/5 green Beast creature tokens with trample onto the battlefield."

>You get an emblem with "Whenever a source you control adds mana to your mana pool, creatures you control get +1/+1 until end of turn."

>Put an 8/8 Beast creature token that's red, green, and white onto the battlefield. It has trample, lifelink, and haste.

>You get an emblem with "At the beginning of your upkeep, distribute up to five +1/+1 counters among any number of target creatures you control."

>Until end of turn, creatures you control get +5/+5 and gain first strike, lifelink, and trample. (yay Titanic Ultimatum!)

>Choose up to three creature cards you own from outside the game with total converted mana cost 10 or less and put them onto the battlefield.

>For each creature you control, put a 5/5 green Beast creature token with trample onto the battlefield.

Got other ideas for ultimates?

>Naya
Literally the most boring shard, consider euthanasia.

This more balanced? Or did I make it too expensive?

>>For each creature you control, put a 5/5 green Beast creature token with trample onto the battlefield.
Expanding on this, maybe just make a copy of each creature you already control, and have one of the other abilities make creature tokens.

I have to admit, it's not great. It's basically just "I like big butts and I cannot lie."

Ah, what helpful and constructive criticism, surely the other user will be able to act on it and improve his idea in a meaningful way.

>Choose up to three creature cards you own from outside the game with total converted mana cost 10 or less and put them onto the battlefield.
This one. So much possibility.

I'm having a hard time finding art representative of my plane, and I'm afraid that as a result, I'm going to have a hard time translating the flavor. I'm thinking of doing just a mechanical transfer; continue work with the mechanics I've designed for this set, but in a completely different setting. Flavorfully, I want to work with something a bit more grounded, I guess. I'm thinking desert plane, maybe with some Egyptian motifs. Is that too trite?

Oh yeah, and I just want to point out that you need to be careful you aren't just making Domri 2.0, since his ult was a keyword kitchen sink emblem. Unless you actually ARE making a new Domri card.

I'd rather just "Any number of creatures with total converted mana costs 10 or less."

>infinite memnite
>infinite ornithopter

No

>10 Spark Elementals
Sounds like fun.

Assuming you have that many. But really it's an ultimate so would anyone really care that you have a stack of 0/2's and 1/1's?

>What's an anthem?

In actual play, if you've drafted a gorillion memnites and ornithopters, why aren't you playing them? Or, if its constructed, why are you wasting eight sideboard slots on a playset of 0-drops just so you can fetch them with this ult?

Are we really designing cards based on the weird kitchen table case where some dude ults this planeswalker and smugly drops his binder full of Ornithopters on the table?

That's really only a problem with casual. If it's really a problem, just preclude getting CMC 0 creatures.

I don't think Felicia's luck manipulation allows her to get hurt by something she's "jinxed", so I would rather it be reworded "change the target of that spell or ability to another target, chosen at random" or somesuch, making it so she can't be targeted. Also, why prowess? Haste I get, she's impulsive.

Nah, WotC hasn't done proper Nile/Mesopotamian culture yet, so it's a prime target. Kaladesh just ate India so act fast though. What set are you making? As a setmaker I'm curious.

This seems pretty strong in a build-around, but I can't say how broken it really could be.

>Naya
Man, Naya needs love. I like the color combo, and the idea of "natural community supporting the biggest and strongest and venerating such" but ultimately it is kinda boring. So I can't really sign any of these. The mana anthem one is okay-ish though, and the counter one is at least playable, if not a bit bland.

What about:
>You get an emblem with "At the beginning of your upkeep, exile the top cards of your library. Put any creature or land cards exiled this way onto the battlefield. Those creatures gain haste, then you gain that much life."

>What set are you making? As a setmaker I'm curious.
Ladder set symbol. Cost-matters themes.

Well, the obvious answers are that you can grab a bunch of Thopters and Memnites alongside a Master of Etherium and Urabrask, or anything as simple as Disciple of the Vault and Viscera Seer. Hell, grab multiples in case your opponent has spot removal.

Oh hey Timeanon. I mean yeah, a few of us have tried the desert thing (myself included) but it never seems to pan out. Though you might want to re-imagine your "cost matters" theme to go for the flavor of "resources are damn scarce in the desert, yo" and so that's why high-cost stuff matters, because it doesn't happen as often. So anything over CMC 4 is "special" in some way.

Yeah, everything would have to be completely reflavored, likely even renamed to mesh with the new flavor in some cases.

Needs better wording.

>Walkerposting
okey then! New snowflake.

Basically this is the "I really wanted to push something as far as I could" card.

I kind of want to give this a real name, but I also kind of love the placeholder.

>Red-Pilled
Disgusting senpai.
In all seriousness though, the last ability isn't white, and absorb shouldn't be used.
Sarkhan is not, and has never been, mardu colors.
>inb4 he was a member of mardu
He wasn't mardu colored even then.
Pretty good.
I really like this one. It really shows the fucked up side of white.
Middle ability might be too strong though.

Words like "Privilege" "Excess" and "Abundance" come to mind. I like the third one, personally. A proposal:

>Abundance -- If you control a permanent with a converted mana cost of 4 or greater, .

It'd play a bit like Morbid, and only really be relevant late-game, but that's not a bad thing. So is Delirium, Threshold, Metalcraft (well, midgame, but still) etc. So it's fine to do it that way. Makes for more anticipation of being able to use your big stuff, then playing off of it.

>red-pilled
>no silver border
>first ability uses the word "absorb"
I hope you heard me sigh from wherever you are.

Not bad, actually.

I remember her. Not bad. I think the first strike token might be a bit too much, but the other option is really a 2/2 if you want to keep the Cat theme and that's pretty much just as good if not better, so... eh. She ults a bit too fast too maybe. -7 instead?

+1 should be a Ghost Prison effect, I think. Especially at that cost, since the enchantment is 2W itself. 0 is not very white, even if it's "even". Black does "even-handed killifying" way more than white does, since it doesn't care about its own stuff. If it were more like a balance effect, then I'd be more on board. Ult is fine, but goes off too fast.

>Middle ability might be too strong though.
It's World Queller. And yeah that's the intent, I decided to make a boring moneywalker with heavily pushed abilities.

>0 is not very white
It is literally ripped directly from a mono-white card from Zendikar.

It seems like a whole lot of do-nothing and not very exciting for a walker.
Feels like Gideon, but he offers more of an being on the field.

Ah okay. that's why I like it.
I'm a sucker for heavily pushed but not quite broken cards.
I disagree with.

Considering the speed the ult can go off, I altered it slightly. I think this is where the card should be.

Fair enough, but my point on black murdering its own stuff along with everyone else's being a more common occurrence than it is in white still stands, which was my main issue with it. But it's has precedence, so that overrides my critique of it. Doesn't mean I have to like it though.

>Felicia
Eh, OK. Sounds good.
>why prowess?
Because I'm an uncreative idiot who slaps random evergreen keywords on everything.

Actually, you could simplify Felicia a bit and just keep her how she is, but when you pay the 2, she gains hexproof until end of turn, but you can't do it till the trigger happens. That way she can't be targeted anyway. Or you know, however works for you. It's just my hot opinion anyway. As for prowess, it just doesn't fit I don't think. I dunno what to replace it with. Skulk?

>Skulk
Doesn't really strike me as UR for one. Also, it seems that Wizards has given up on Skulk. As for the reselect ability, I'm really unsure now. I mean, I kinda did like the idea that you could just get that unlucky that it kept targeting Felicia over and over. Besides, I've been thinking of lowering the cost for the ability, and making it so it's not as good as Hexproof will help, I think.

If you keep the chance that she gets targeted but reduce the cost to 1, that might be okay, cause the chance that she gets targeted again is slim.
>skulk
It's U, and that's good enough for a gold card man. Also don't need to use the keyword since you're opposed to non-evergreen.

Aaaaa I hate flat-color backgroundsssss

>Costs
oh ok!

>Art
Oh no. Just saying an art like that would be cool for the card. A bit of a comment that wasn't directed towards the card's mechanical capabilities/fluff.

>Greenspeaker
Thought it fit with the art really well, and the effect isn't very modern.
It's a human because I made the card with three different arts, and forgot to change the subtype accordingly.

How is it too good? It's a slightly better heritage druid in a much less relevant tribal type, at rare.

>Alux
Yeah that wording's better!

>Fadeblade
Two spells that can't be creatures or artifacts. I think it's good to build on, but not necessarily a wincon. To get procs you need a deck that's low on creatures, although with control enchantments and counterspells, it'd be pretty crazy.

>Jyek
Yeah, 'tis a bit nuts. Should have made it defending player tho. Meant for 1v1 EDH.

>Yawgmoth
Gotta love designing $300 cards.

>Gethsemane
Becuzmuhlorehuehue.
Should make it another creature card.?

>Infinity
Chromatic lantern does something that's pretty similar, and is a rock at 3. This one does have the advantage of using rock mana as colored, but mana should be fixed by around turn 6-7 on a tri color deck, and makes prism useless. It's only for the early game.

>Add X mana
Hm, not really a fan of using X if I'm not setting the number. Got another idea? D:

Gawd I hate Meld. I think Jace is way too effective.

Nissa is too effective aswell for a 2G. Make it 1GG and it's pushed.
Liliana DL needs a trigger for the second ability.

>Lilisa
>kek

Could have a lower starting, and higher gain. The gain doesn't protect her, so you can add some more counters.

Ult is cool. I wanna have them with DT and T, but meh.

Yep.

Kek.

I'd give the warriors DT aswell. You're paying for a total 5/5, and bringing him back is a steep cost.

He's cool.

>flat-color backgrounds
The bane of all custom card creators. Sadly a lot of great concept art is on a flat grey background so it's not very pleasing to use.
>card
I like the ult. The -1 is meh, but useful. The way it gains loyalty is super dangerous, because it awards a loyalty per instance of life loss, so if you set up for it, which isn't that hard, since it only needs 4 sources to activate the ult, you can cause an opponent to die the turn you drop it. And at 3 mana, even with a bit of setup required, that feels like too much.

I really have a problem with -3 your creatures can't be blocked. You could make it a 0 or something if you only control how the creatures block.

Make it more color heavy. I like it, but it's a bit uninteractive. Reminds me of a similar one I made.
>pic

Nerfed? :(
Did user finish the Hires M15 template?

Do colorless(C) cards have the same mechanical design space as colorless(generic) cards?

Are punisher cards with out-of-color effects like Browbeat still accepted in modern design?

I just used Browbeat in a recent design and nobody complained, so... sure, I guess? With colorless stuff, it seems to be it has a few things it "wants" to do, and the rest can be done with colored activated abilities. But honestly, I don't see why colorless couldn't have at least the basics from each color, same as how artifact creatures can bring keywords to a color that doesn't normally have them by being a touch more expensive to compensate.

>Colorless
Yes. They're both colorless cards, they just go about it differently. So just design C cards as you would artifact cards, more or less.

>Off-color
Eh... I guess. It depends, really. Though... I would like to see more. I've always loved Temporal Extortion.

Colorless cards seem to get some value over artifacts, though they basically have the same breadth of abilities (almost everything).

Compared to colors, colorless has a lot of self-synergy, CMC matters, and broad removal. There also seems to me a small "mimicry" theme to it, both in that it takes things from every color and how it has clone effects.

Bad

how is morning sunlight a land?

Call it hidden valley or some bullshit

Too easy to build around. I have to giggle every time you write feedback about stuff being OP then you do this kind of thing in the next breath.

So... why doesn't a discard spell Invoke into a Specter that causes discard on combat damage again? Seems like a really bad case of player expectations not being met.

Because he's not taking full advantage of the DFC to do something complex with the creature side. He's still working under the idea of being Evoke, where those creatures had ETB abilities but not much else besides keywords.

Yeah the DFC Invoke template offers so much potential that Evoke doesn't, and it really needs to be used. Static, repeatable versions of the frontside Instant/Sorcery could very well be the next step in Spellshaper technolgy regarding replicating instants and whatnot.

Good Point.

It needs a lot of work, balancing the ones at common will be tricky. I'm aiming for no more then 4-6 at common, preferably 4.

Uncommon.

>Greenspeaker
Eh, maybe I'm overreacting.

>Fadeblade
It's not a wincon, no, it's easy hard removal. Kazy, there are many cards that trigger off sorcery and instant spells that are considered good. Do you honestly think there's not just the slightest chance that this card might be OP?

>Infinity
Well, I was going off Mycosynth Lattice, so who knows.

>Hm, not really a fan of using X if I'm not setting the number. Got another idea? D:
...Why? Why not use X? It's the easiest way to do this. Also, I'm not 100% on a way to do it without X, so there's that. Really, this just blows my mind, Kazy. You don't like using X when you can't set the value for it, really? Dude, you are just shooting yourself in the foot. I'm sorry, but I don't want to see you somewhere down the road struggling with some card that's easy to word with X but you can't do it that way.

>Star-Lord
>Ra's
Cool, thanks. Speaking of giving Deathtouch to the tokens, I do wonder sometimes why Wizards seems to shy away from cards that make tokens with keywords other than Flying, Haste, and Trample. Very little F-Strike, very little Deathtouch, very little Hexproof, etc.

>Nerfed? :(
Yeah, response to feedback from other anons.

Beautiful. You know, I was kinda hesitant when it came to this idea before, but this looks very interesting. Really looking forward to seeing what you do next with this.

Where'd everyone go?

Something this fun is probably haram.

Last bit is tricky. I think it would be fine if it were limited to the exiled cards. Though playing an artifact deck would really push this card to breaking point. Hmm, maybe it needs more work.

Are we posting probably haram red cards?

I feel like instead of allowing a stupid amount of mana reduction to all your spells it should turn all of the cards you don't cast into some amount of damage at end of turn.

These threads have great ideas, sometimes. I'll just... borrow them.

Shouldn't it be 'next untap step'?

Regardless, looks fun.

Illusory Wisps 1U
Instant
Target creature gets -4/-0 until end of turn.
Invoke 3UU
//
Fogbound Path
Creature- Elemental
Defender
Whenever ~ becomes the target of a spell or ability, return it to its owner's hand.
0/4

Web Trap 1GG
Instant
Destroy target creature with flying.
Invoke 3G
//
Orbweaver Gargant
Creature- Spider
Deathtouch, Reach
1/4

Mounting Plague 1B
Sorcery
Put a -1/-1 counter on target creature.
2B: Put ~ on top of your library. Play this ability only if ~ is in your graveyard.
Invoke 5BB
//
Plagued Horseman
Creature- Avatar
Wither, Haste, Trample
~ gets +1/+1 for each -1/-1 counter on a creature on the battlefield.
3/2

Warleader's Mien 2W
Sorcery
Put two 1/1 white Soldier creature tokens onto the battlefield.
Invoke 4WW
//
Gallant General
Creature- Human Soldier
First Strike
Other creatures you control get +1/+1.
2/2

Echoes of Pain 1R
Instant
~ deals 1 damage to each creature and each player.
Invoke 4RR
//
Gleeful Tormentor
Creature- Goblin Shaman
Haste
T: ~ deals 2 damage to each creature dealt damage this turn.
3/3

Let's just see how fucky we can get here...

Memories of Amber GG
Instant
Add two mana in any combination of colors to your mana pool.
Invoke 3G
//
Green Dream Amber
Artifact
T: Add G to your mana pool.
When ~ is put into a graveyard from play, draw a card.

My drugs just kicked in and this is the result.

Does anyone have any good resources for making new style templates in MSE? I kinda want to fuck around with it, but cant find any good tutorials.

It would follow the same wording as the front half. I don't know why it's different. "Owner" is pretty much only referred to when dealing with cards (as opposed to permanents)

Has Veeky Forums ever collaborated on a set? I mean, I know Veeky Forums has a serious problem with designing as a committee, but regular MtG is designed by a committee, however professional. Seems weird that we wouldn't have tried, but I aven't seen or heard about it.

>Taxi service 2 colorless mana
Cumulative upkeep

Tap; put an age counter on taxi service, place one creature from your hand onto the battlefield. It gains haste. Exile that card at end of the next turn.

I don't know whether this would be an artifact or an enchantment.

I believe at least one person compiled a set from cards that were posted.