Is there any explanation for what kind of improvements do all the steampunk clocks and devices to steampunk guns?

Is there any explanation for what kind of improvements do all the steampunk clocks and devices to steampunk guns?

If not, can you make up one?

Aesthetic.

spring loader that works on tension insteaf of gass or by hand, so maybe faster than hand and maybe steal is to weak for the gass or its not invented yet

Generally, in setting the idea is not that they're better, but necessary for the device to work, senpai.

Somewhere in those cogs and brass bits a poor revolver is crying...

Proper steampunk doesn't have special "clockwork guns" anyway.
It just has weapons appropriate to the time period steampunk is supposed to be representative of.

probably a reloading mechanism.

Generally, no, it goes unexplained.

They could make for good repeater, reloading or recoil reduction mechanisms

>what kind of improvements do all the steampunk clocks and devices to steampunk guns?
Telling time, for one.

>tfw ywn have a little gun-clock that tells you when it's time to shoot a motherfucker

That's a shotgun breech.

Nigga it's a shotgun. Or a really fucked up Contender.

A revolver that tells you when it's High Noon?

This. The only "weird special guns" I can kind of stomach in a steampunk setting are basically Girandoni Air Rifles on steroids.

My bad, you're right. The mutilation threw me off.

What are you even trying to say OP

"What are all the gears glued to things (and then called steampunk) actually supposed to be doing? What functional purpose do they serve?"

You're trying to win a contest with a great prize.

If you run out of bullets, a mainspring on the side flicks a steam-powered nuclear warhead at the enemy.

It lets you shoot so fast you don't feel the recoil.

The gears help identify people with shit taste

Meant for

fucking kraut space magic

It's High Noon somewhere.

No it isn't. It's 10 past something. Considering how timezones work it's gonna be high noon somewhere in 50 minutes.

Imagine you're a Steampunk Engineer. You make yourself a gun.

Oh, but it looks like the gun needs constant maintenance, so you'd normally have to take it apart, clean it, and put it back together again.

Normal Sharpshooter would practice until he could take apart a gun and put it back together again in no time at all.

Of course, You're an Engineer, not a Sharpshooter, so you see this as a problem of design.

So, you work in a system that automatically oils and brushes the interior of the gun, which necessitates some added machinery.

But wait, then you'll have to constantly rewind the gearbox in order to fuel the cleaning process. That's a waste of time. So you build in a flywheel and an activation system so the gun cleans itself every 24 hours, which necessitates additional machinework.

And while you're at it, you've noticed that you've got a fairly unsteady aim. maybe if you installed a Gyroscopic balancer in the Shaft... and possibly included an auto-aim assist, and a few more tweaks here and there... but wait, that interferes with the cleaning system, maybe if you integrate them together more...

TL;DR: Too many Steampunk Engineers that love crafting machines and solving problems more than they want to shoot something with a gun.

Somewhere the sun is at true high noon, even if the official clocks for the overall timezone have not caught up to it.

But you've got to have a compass in the stock and that...thing...that tells time. Otherwise what good is your BB gun?

None, but if you want a real steampunk weapon, look up the Girardoni Air Rifle. It's an 18th century Air Rifle used by Austrian snipers, and is the first repeating Rifle ever fielded by a military power.

Sorry for shit pic

Reaper's Hand Cannon: This overly complicated piece of shit firearm gives the wielder the knowledge of someone's impending doom. Starting at 15 minutes from 'death', the subject starts to appear to glow faintly black. As the time of their demise grows closer, they become more and more blacked out. At the ~1 minute mark, they are so blacked out that their features can no longer be seen.

If, within this 15 minute period, the subject is shot by this weapon, their soul will be captured in the brass casing, stored until released into judgement, or sold to a demon.

Shooting someone with this pistol that isn't due to due to die causes the wielder to suffer damage as if they'd taken the bullet themselves.

I've a common weapon design in my setting used by the 'deiselpunk ratmen' that uses a piezoelectric crystal as a power source to deliver an ignition charge to small (often handcrafted) rocket based munitions (generally in the realm of 10-20mm.) However, to 'squeeze' this electric charge from the crystal a reciprocating hammer powered by a watch spring is employed.

You can usually get about twenty to thirty seconds worth of 'ignition sparks' out of single winding before you have to rewind you gun. More than enough you empty most magazines, unless you jammed/misfired, or are using a hilariously large box magazine (most fully automatic firearms in the setting are hand-cranked, pneumatic, crew served, or some combination of all three.)

The cheaper alternative to the piezoelectrics are 'sparkler' weapons using similar springs but a ferrocerium plug and steel grinder wheel, but these are usually homemade survival tools or stopgap weapons and not expected to pass military standards.

Meanwhile there's the neopagan nordic Deep Ones who's common carbine uses gas valve system to achieve a janky spike throwing blend between the Japanese Type99 MG and the Soviet APS (Special Underwater Assault Rifle.) Despite their solid and shockingly reliable craftsmanship almost nobody else bothers to loot these weapons except as novelties as they are heavy brass bricks with funky ballistics and most folks lack the strength and stamina of psuedo-human muscle toads.

However, the minigun seen here is just a three barrel design firing fairly conventional shotgun shells (even more unwieldy, but i figured Deep Ones have hinted at unlimited growth potential so it may be appropriate for the larger specimens.)

>Or a really fucked up Contender.
Thank fuck it isn't that. Cogshit is bad enough, but to have one of them fuck up a Contender, it'd be beyond heresy.

That poor monstrosity, looks like a shotgun (or maybe rifle) action, with a poorly spliced on plastic grip. The barrel assembly looks like it might be plumbing of some sort, and the magazine is just sitting there with no way to feed rounds anywhere near the hammer and firing pin, or what looks like it is supposed to be the breech.

-2/10 at least they didn't cut up anything valuable to make this.

I would like to second this notion.

If you want people to read your comments, i suggest learning how to spell first.

Could just think of guns as progressing normally without being introduced to the idea of steam.

Could even still come up with some exotic designs that aren't finger fucked by steam before their finger fucked by you.

>Could just think of guns as progressing normally without being introduced to the idea of steam.
Well if percussion caps or gun powder had not been invented/discovered, in the setting using a steam engine to power a compressor to refill guns like would seems to fit right in.
There is how ever no real need for the guns themselves to have clockwork parts on them. Yes the triggers and such could be classed as clockwork, but who the fuck wants the inner workings of their guns exposed to the dirt and grime of the day to day environment. That is a recipe for jams and malfunctions. Shit look at how beautiful the mechanism on is, but in regular use it was covered by a polymer shell. An analog pressure gauge, like the sort you find on paintball marker air tanks would be appropriate.

I thought it was an art style of a 'past future,' i.e. a projected future that did not occur. Like finding super-hostile jungles on the planet Venus.

In-universe, I thought it was the justification of modern-level tech showing up a hundred-ish years before it became widespread BUT while the principles were available. Similar to the 'super prototype' idea, in that it's technically possible to create but prohibitively expensive, like having man-portable machine guns before the civil war.

If i had to simplify, I'd say 'spy gadgets of the 19th century.'