Is it okay to get your character killed off when you're bored of playing them?

Is it okay to get your character killed off when you're bored of playing them?

Nah, that's for quitters. Killing everybody else and becoming new BBEG is a viable option though.

Just retire them

Why deliberatly have no fun

Retiring is just as unfun as having your character jump off a cliff. going out of your way to make a heroic death however is a good time.

I usually just retire them.

When you're hanging out with psychopaths and getting nearly killed every day, it's not hard to find a reason to quit. Or at least be helpful somewhere else.

Only under the proper circumstances and in the proper way. It can detract from the integrity of the adventure and other people's enjoyment of it if you have your character act in a stupidly suicidal way. It kills people's sense of immersion.

On top of this, you may make things difficult for your GM if he has things that are supposed to tie into your character. Or he may stretch immersion himself, trying to find a way to save your character because he's trying to help you out, not realizing what you're doing.

So I'd say the long and short of it is that you should talk to your GM about your issue with your character and your proposed solution to it. Forewarned, your GM can plan things accordingly and maybe facilitate your task a bit.

This.

If a player randomly decides their character jumps off a cliff into lava for no other reason than they were bored with the character, thats akin to acting like a "LULzRAndUm" chucklefuck. They don't get to make a new PC, and they don't get to come back to my table either.
If you REALLY want to play a new character, I'm completely fine with finding a REAL in-character reason for said character to leave the adventure.

If you're getting bored of a character, either their arc is finished, and they should leave the party provided they have a reason to stop (if they still have a reason to continue, their arc isn't over). Or something has gone very wrong with the game.

Knew someone who would do this. He'd get fatigued from playing his character for two sessions at most and then do something stupid like intentionally die so he can reroll again.

Just don't.

Very broadly speaking, if the DM and the player--and to some extent, the other players--are okay with it, then it's okay.

In MY opinion, however, it's not. Retiring or killing off a character is not a cure to the sickness of a "bad character". We have a player who has done this a few times, and every time it happens, it's a symptom of one or all of these:
>Bad optimization of character class/skill/builds/race/whatever
>Poor choices in party/player engagement
>Character concepts that are doomed to fail
>Failure achieve compromises with other players/characters in favour of personal vision
When he inevitably becomes discontented, he discards his apparently disposable 'vision' and moves on to another harebrained concept.

If he doesn't learn to own his mistakes, he'll never learn to adapt his characters or develop them, nor will he learn to make characters he doesn't get so easily bored of.

TL;DR it's annoying but not THAT big of a deal, it's just a pet peeve.

>the world is ending and only you chosen heroes have the knowledge and opportunity to keep reality from collapsing in on itself
>nah, I'm just gonna go home and do nothing. Later guys!

Retiring--with a good reason and setting for the PC to step back to--is a great way to create supporting NPCs that the players are likely to give a shit about. The PC-turned-NPC can be the sympathetic character that gives the players a safehouse, or a tip-off, or does some sort of work for them in the background.

Or alternatively, he can turn against the party and start working against them. Though I wouldn't recommend that unless it was something already hinted at when he was a PC.

I've killed plenty of my characters over the years, but never out of boredom.

Instead it's when you need to stand up and be the badass the world needs right now even if you know you can't take an Elder Dragon with a pen knife.

>Instead it's when you need to stand up and be the badass the world needs right now even if you know you can't take an Elder Dragon with a pen knife.
And who knows? You just might. One Imperial Guardsman once killed Kharn the Betrayer with a brick.

Yeah but Guardsmen are OP. I once had three Guardsmen charged by a Bloodthirster back in 4th. They killed it that round.

>Kharn killed by a guardsman throwing a brick

I'm 99% sure this story was just bullshit. Not because of all the tens, but because he leapt out of a window and only took "little damage" when Dark Heresy fall damage is insanely deadly

Adventuring is a life of unending crises, regular near-death experiences, and the constant knowledge that peoples' lives are depending on you and that no matter how good you do some people will die. All of those are things which make people break down. There's literally nothing wrong with having your character go "I'm out, I can't do this anymore, and if I try I'm going to get all of us killed."

>Getting your character killed in such a way as to remind you why you liked the character in the first place

If the character is unoptimized/a shitty concept/ect., they should have been picked off by mother nature. How quickly does lose interest?

All character arcs should end in marriage.

>people still think retiring a character literally means retirement in a modern sense
No, it means you leave the party.
Maybe they undertake a dangerous mission, alone or with others, that won't be part of the sessions.
Maybe they join a faction and/or become a recurring npc.
Maybe they even join the villains.
All of these things are better than just "go home and never be seen again".

If it's dramatically appropriate. At least take the effort to make it an interesting death.

Ask your group, they're the ones you're playing with, and thus the ones whose opinion matters.

Except destiny and shit. In one of the games I'm playing in, the universe will literally be destroyed if we - our specific characters - do not complete the mission. Choosing to fuck off means game over.

My players usually plan character deaths out with me so I don't mind.

They're also used to dying a lot.