/kowg/ - Kings of War General

Kings of War/Mantic general: "Still the best OP image" edition.

Condensed rules:
puggimer.net/documents/KOW_Ref_2-0.pdf
Books:
mediafire.com/folder/meedbza42sp4m/Kings_of_War
Errata:
manticgames.com/SiteData/Root/File/KINGS OF WAR/KoW FAQ and Errata 290915.pdf

Recommended list builder:
kow2.easyarmy.com
Hit "PDF" at the top right for easy posting of your lists
Includes relevant special rules on the last page.

Kings of Math Damage Calculator
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QBfREAWucgTPeoEhXxO3fqDU141IQw7Ajgp71m5cizs/edit#gid=0

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/a7ocspamPOY
manticgames.com/mantic-shop/kings-of-war/sprues.html
manticgames.com/mantic-shop/kings-of-war/basilea/product/basilean-men-at-arms-40-figures.html
shogunminiatures.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Alright. Now that no one invested in Age of Sigmar is reading:
How's the new Generals Handbook?

I guess no one is on tonight?

bumpin'

18 Minutes of fresh OC, right here.

youtu.be/a7ocspamPOY

Anyone notice that Mantic are selling seperate sprues now?

manticgames.com/mantic-shop/kings-of-war/sprues.html

That's been a thing for quite a while.
Pretty nice for getting elvish crewmen for my generic-ass warmachines.

What do you guys think about my idea of converting a horde of Basilean Men-At-Arms into two nurglish-looking varangur Bloodsworn regiments?

The backstory of my army is that it was a former Mercenary Company that hid its devoting to their dark patron so as to be able to sell their services throughout the civilsed world.

The men-at-arms in question:
manticgames.com/mantic-shop/kings-of-war/basilea/product/basilean-men-at-arms-40-figures.html

I'm looking for some professional and somewhat flashy looking standard infantry and thus far these miniatures are the ones that closest resembles the vision of them in my mind's eye. If anyone know of similar miniatures for a reasonable price let me know as I've heard that these aren't of the best quality.

They're good for conversions.

Problematic:
Arms are a bit large
They're a taller than normal
They've all got facial hair, even if the store page didn't paint them that way.

They need trimming. You can find people that clipped them to size, and you can find some examples of conversions and kit-bashing floating around.

It's handy if you have elves or dwarves from another manufacturer and want the warmchines without crews. The regular sets they sell areundeniably better deals hwoever, especially as you can pay less than a dollar a mini depending on where you buy them from.

That they are tall with facial hair is just great imo. After all the usual not!chaos-army tend to be composed of larger chaps and a mercenary without a beard or a moustasche is just not fit for the life of a sellsword.

>Sounds good
More specifically on "large"
Tall, yes
Disproportionate, yes.

The arms are disproportionate, as is the torso.

There's a funny story behind the Baselians I saw. They were done through China, and the Chinks' CNC machines making the molds couldn't use the file format. Rather than buy software to convert the files the boss just sat some intern down to open the models, and re-create them in the compatible file format. Mantic didn't know what was going on until they started getting the sprues and realized something was wrong and investigated to find they just paid $$$ for molds that weren't even made from the files they sent.

TL;DR
China, lol

>That story
Kek

Literally:
chinese knockoff

Every single time. There is a reason why most companies don't use them. At least Wyrd got out of it OK. At least that ensures Mantic will use Renedra for the rank and file, which is certainly better than what Privateer Press does to make their models.

>Wyrd
What happened between him and chinkland?

Wyrd got out of it OK as in their figures actually come out of China looking nice. Even their limited edition models are plastic thanks to their current arrangement. Everyone else seems to be as screwed over as the manufacturers in your picture, with Reaper and PP being consistent yet shoddier than average.

lol

Finally did some work on my Ogre army. Horde of Warriors. Somehow forgot about that one round base that'll need fixing up though.

You should base in between the feet as well, those gaps are quite obvious.

Nevertheless, cool stuff. Is that two-headed model a Reaper mini?

Nah, from Descent. All my units have an ettin as the leader, because ettins are sweet.

And yeah, obviously not done with the base or with the painting, just wanted to try put some life into the thread.

So I wanted to get into WHFB for some time now but when I finally saved up the money the End Times started. I decided to wait, see what happens and when the dust settled I saw Sigmarines.

So now I'm trying to decide, on which replacement to follow, 9th Age or Kings of War and I wanted to ask if I can have your opinions on pro's and con's of both and how do they compare to each other, purely rule-wise (since I will probably assemble an army from cheap ebay sales). To clarify, I'm going for the closest thing there is to Bretonnia in each respective system.

Will probably repost this question in the Fantasy Battle thread.

Is there any reason you couldn't follow both games?

Also for KoW the Bretonnian equivalent is the Brotherhood.

In KoW the closest equivalent of Brettonians is the Brotherhood, which is largely the same thing with the addition of water elementals that the Brotherhood summons. The fluff is moved around a little with the setting's equivalent of Jesus giving an order of knights an incredibly powerful set of armor that they use.

As far as mechanics goes, Kings of War emphasizes much more streamlined rules rather than having lots of special rules for each faction. It uses height categories instead of true line of sight, it doesn't use model removal so you can do multibasing for dioramas and such. There are no random charge distances, and there is premeasuring. Turns are much shorter than they are in WHFB(Which 9th largely emulates) so games are much faster. You can play the game where everything during one turn is done by one person, making it possible to play with chess clocks. The game has been thoroughly playtested so each faction is actually balanced.

The main cons that are brought up is that individual heroes don't have as many options as they do in WHFB. You generally only choose what your character is riding, what spells if any, and a single magic item to give them. Magic is also much simpler, so you don't have any of the crazy faction specific spells that you would have in WHFB/9th. I didn't like the crazy apocalypse spells in WHFB, but I still would like to see some more additions.

Also what said. There is nothing stopping you from using the same army in both games unless you want to multibase, in which case you would only be able to play Kings of War. They are both fun games which both proudly stick it to the End of Times/AoS. I generally stick with KoW as that is what people at my store play, and I don't need to reference the rules and grind the game to a halt as I try to figure something out.

Bump

>There are no random charge distances
No, there are.
Only for Shambling+Surge though, and it's equally good for regular moves as well as actual charges.

So, AoS player here, converting my bases to square so that I can branch out to multiple games. I was wondering, where do you guys buy your non-mantic miniatures? Or Square bases?

How are the beastmen? Theres an event at my lgs this weekend and i want to school some nerds. I have 3 years of whfb expirience and I played one game of KoW (crushed it) 4 months ago.

>Square bases?
Renedra have plenty of cheap bases.

They're very solid: fast, ignore lots of terrain restrictions and hit like a truck on the charge. In a series of Australian tournaments Herd armies had the highest average kill attrition rate against their opponents.

What kind of builds work well?

>Non-Mantic
There are tons of manufacturers for rank and file fantasy stuff like MoM, Avatars of War, Perry, Shieldwolf, and even the Frostgrave plastics which make good militia mobs, fleshlings, and tribal warriors.

You can just find circular base conversion trays which should be fine for all but heroes, which will be on their base alone.

>Multibasing in promo pictures
>Better paintjobs
Glad to see Mantic stepping up their game now that they have done all of the Kickstarter armies.

They look good, probably because there is a lot of recycled Undead army stuff there.

I'm a bit annoyed that they painted up the characters like arse.

It's pretty much literally the undead army with some accessories stuck to it

To be fair, that's how GW originally released the Tomb Kings skeletons.

Yeah, the upper boddies are replaced with metal ones, and a few weapons and such are switched around like the new standards of course.

This place is great. Their movement trays are good, and I am moving my bases over to magnetic bases. Nice to not have to adjust models all over the place,

shogunminiatures.com/

herd is brutal. They have the stampede unit, which seems to be one of the few units in the game that seems OP on a per-point basis.

What are the chances they'll keep it up?

What miniatures are these? They look really awesome and I want to throw them into an undead list.

Found them. Apparently they're Privateer Press models.

Those would make for some nice wraiths.

One of the great challenges I've found in KoW is how to arrange deployments against, and prepare to take charges from, a faster list which can dictate combats and gets the critical first strike.

When is the campaign happening?

Oh my, more Varangur candidates from Avatars of War.

Are these polystyrene or ABS? Nice to see Avatars of War putting out more figures.

They're also previewing some Harpy/Fury looking minis.

I think I prefer Mantic's version.

>Prefer Mantics version overall
>Know that these will probably be cheaper and I will buy them anyways
Why did they ever think that restic was a good idea for saving money?

I thought Mantic was ditching restic?

They are, but older models like the gargoyles are still made out of restic

Well yeah, they are not gonna throw their old products into a woodchipper or whatever just because they are not entierly up to date. That is just throwing away money you can't afford to throw away when you're a small company like Mantic.

What your local group plays the most is the best solution. For me, it's KoW. 9th age also doesn't really solve the inherent problem of bloat that WHFB had.

Next kickstarter when?

Next one is dreadball, isn't it?

>tfw still no TAG Halflings

What's are my options for online play?

I'm too lazy to paint anymore.

Yup, end of the month, God knows I have enough Dreadball stuff already, but no doubt I'll be backing it anyway.

How is Dreadball anyway?

Solid base, far removed from Bloodbowl, with a real fluid feel to it. Several elements in need of attention though, with refs being a thing, but being near useless (given the pointlessness of fouling) and one of the main player roles (as well as one of the rare ones) being under-powered. League system somehow manages to be both over complicated -and- bland. Balance wise it's O.K. with a few outlying teams of the 24 currently available.

All in all it's in need of a 2nd edition and from what we've heard so far, Mantic are well aware of the current shortcomings and will fix these issues in 2nd.

I wonder if Brexit will affect Mantic in any significant way?

Minis getting cheaper for anyone outside the UK, probably more expensive within.

I don't think it would change the prices. They don't follow conversion rates.

If the pound drops and your local currency goes up, though, you can get it a bit cheaper maybe.

Unless it affects eBay prices I'm still going to be paying the same amount of dollars even if those dollars are stronger. And Mantic is not shit enough that I'd rather support them and buy directly unless it's a major drop.

What are the strong points of the League besides the Altar and the landsknetchs ? Currently building up my forces and I'm wondering if I overlooked something.

Volley guns are sweet, too. Lots of options for cheap drops. If I was building Rhordia, I'd be tempted to go for a MSU strategy, with a couple of big units of knights to mop up.

The vassal module is in the mediafire page
Universal Battle also exists

I have always wanted to try this game with tabletop simulator. Imagine doing so with VR and a leap motion controller, along with 3D models ripped from whatever generic fantasy games you think look good.

Volley guns are nice on paper but they suffer from ra being 5 so much

Thinking of repainting and rebasing my old GW lizardmen in nightstalkers because they would be pretty terrifying in black and purple.

Hey guys just getting into KoW looking for a basic 1000pt army for dwarves I got the mega and starter armies for super cheap and was wondering what to paint first, thanks!

I would start out with the basic infantry before moving on to more fancy minis just to get down the method and colour scheme.

Mantic have always sold individual sprues, since they first started in 2012.

They also haven't added any new sprues since they released Orcs (I think) in 2013 (I think).

It's something they still do because they always did, but they're not rushing to add all their new sprues; only the first and most basic ones.

Also, you've gotta buy things like bases separately, and they come in mostly unhelpful multiples.

I suspect it's intended for possibly someone wanting to do a wholesale deal or something.

bump

I'm guessing the individual sprues are sold the way they are because people might just want them for kitbashing or something.

Bump

Got back into this game when I saw the CoK pack FINALLY addressed the fliers issue.

Holy shit this game is good now that they've admitted their was an issue and fixed it.

There's a good community on UB

Are they ever going to add Kings of War rules for Blaine?

I was wondering about that myself. They even made a mini for him.

They only added a handful of rules for Dungeon Saga characters with the campaign book. None of the other ones like that vampire lord or the naiad stalker have been given anything yet. I imagine that you are meant to use them as generic characters, as they have recommended using the naiad hero as a regular stalker and the Basilean one as a regular abess.

Maybe they will get rules in the 3'rd edition in 5 years or something?

I have no idea why they would completely change editions to add a few stat blocks in. Even then KoW doesn't really need another edition change right now. If anything it is much more likely that any new characters would be added through supplements. The historical one is coming next, so nothing can be expected soon.

Wait, I need to check it tomorrow but isn't there rules to add heroes from DS in the new campaign book ? Because I sure remember something about it.

As I said that only adds Valandor, Mortibris, Ba'el, and the four main dudes. Nothing for Drech'nok or any of the other heroes that they have put out.

I just figure that they might in the future release a new edition that includes all the new armies in Uncharted Empires, campaign rules, maybe some updates and updated fluff.

A compendium hardly warrants a new version name, even at the level of Rules-Cyclopedia. Major mechanical changes like the ones between 1e and 2e would of course be a different story.

Sure, but it's not like they heavily overhauled the game from the first edition either. Most of second edition are a bunch of tweaks and expansion material put into a new edition.

KOW-Newfag here, I have 2 questions;

>What's the Australian scene like in terms of players and general support? More specifically WA.

>Is Abyss a good army to start with? Because value for money and mini-count are already 2 big pluses imo-senpai-desu.

>good army to start with?
Honestly, I haven't found an army that's "harder" to play than the others yet. They're all very well balanced on the whole.

Better if you play enough mock-games to start understanding the tactics, then choose an army based on what you like to use.

Or just what you like the looks / fluff of

For example, abyssals are typically a mix of glass cannon protected by horde, have no war machines (48 inch ranged attacks), have only firebolts (18 inch range shorter than standard 24), have only one unique monster (literally only one monster on the board, ever), and various list-building considerations such as their nimble cavalry are limited as troops.

Then consider you can take 25% of your points as allies which can round out weaknesses, which is great since I think evil armies compliment each other better than the good aligned armies do.

>Australian scene
Kind of want to know this too. Not an Ausfag, but still.

>What's the Australian scene like in terms of players and general support?
Going very strong, we have a bunch of passionate players, people making very creative armies (pic related), content producers, a lively tournament sce-
>More specifically WA.
I can only assume that you need live at least 800Km from the nearest player unless you live in Perth.

Just ordered this, couldn't be bothered to research so just got 1 of everything they had in stock.

Hope I enjoy it.

The abyss has one of the best middle range shooting, very good tarpit units with regen and good hard hitters. I thinks it's a good army for a beginner.