Exalted General - /exg/

>What is Exalted?
An epic high-flying role-playing game about reborn god-heroes in a world that turned on them.
Start here: theonyxpath.com/category/worlds/exalted/

>That sounds cool, how can I get into it?
Read the 3e core book (link below). For the basics of combat, read this tutorial. It'll get you familiar with most of the mechanics.
forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?769761-Exalted-3E-Combat-301.

>How do I find a group?
Roll20 and the Game Finder General here on Veeky Forums. With the new edition, though, chances are more games will crop up.

Resources for Third Edition:

>Final 3E Core Release:
mega.nz/#!ctgxyJaC!ygkrLnFsrnBJzIUZY-dJsMfyFrhFQgDsQuuo52fcW0I
mediafire.com/download/q51qw8skdw1rg15/Exalted_3e_Core.pdf
>Backer Charm Book:
mediafire.com/download/x7i7p5c4rm7kacq/Backer_Charms_Plain_Text.pdf

>Frequently updated Character Sheet with Formulas and Autofill
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pfjmZKzcUqAX9mB58IAEUIFkZr8rq4CvdRRM4kzwwgU/edit?usp=sharing
>General Homebrew dumping folder:
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByD2BL6J89NiQzdCWWFaY0c5Mkk&usp=sharing
>Collection of old 3e Materials, including comics and fiction anthologies:
mediafire.com/folder/t2arqtqtyyt28/Exalted_3Leak
>Charm Trees:
Solar Charms: imgur.com/a/q6Vbc
Martial Arts: imgur.com/a/mnQDe
Evocations: imgur.com/a/TYKE4

>Resources for Previous Editions:
pastebin.com/raw/EL3RTeB1

Whine about things not being canon edition!

>not knowing what noko is

When did noko stop working?

That thread is dead, focus on the topic on hand.

And noko stopped functioning a few years ago, considering there's no email field on Veeky Forums I don't know why you'd assume it works in the name field.

What happens to the souls of a dead person when you immediately immolate their corpse?

Same thing that happens otherwise.

The higher soul, the hun, will either form a ghost or move on to Lethe depending on how it died and its nature as a person.

The lower soul, the po, will linger for a few days until it dissolves away. I *think* immolating a corpse doesn't count as desecrating it, so long as you use actual fire, so the po will be very disinclined to forming a hungry ghost unless you do something awful anyway like pissing on the ashes.

If a monstrance of celestial portion is destroyed, and the abyssal associated it destroy, does the exaltation shard go back to lytek?

Sounds like something the ST should decide.

What happens if the PC's kill the entire bronze faction?

Then Kejop was proven right.

but they're all dragon-blooded!

That only proves that the bronze faction got what was coming to them , remember - the bronze faction is responsible for a lot of evil, evil shit, and they are completely retarded when it comes to dealing with enemies outside fate.

They don't even know about the insidious corrupting influences Solars had on their actions, used as pawns yet again.

They got orders direct from the five maidens

purge the sidereals

they sent five bronze facton sidereals to train them in celestial martial arts, then instructed them to kill the sidereals immediately after

It's a pity how even the Incarnae have fallen prey to devious Solar machinations. RIP ketchup.

>They got orders direct from the five maidens

It's clear that you're engineering this situation directly as the ST, so why not just have whatever you actually want to happen be the result?

Like it would be one thing if your PCs just--somehow--managed to do this of their own volition, but at this point you're asking "so if I plop a purple dragon that conjures shotguns and religious tracts into Creation, what happens?" Whatever you clearly want to happen, because nobody writes that into a world without some specific point in mind.

but the plot twist is

The one behind this whole plot is actually....

Tepet Fokuf!

He's an infernal exalted that is becoming a mini yozi, and his cosmic principal is masturbation

You're taking it too far and just being silly now, fook off!

Hey, I'm the one who asked initially.

The other guy who responded isn't me.

I'm not the ST, I've been asked to find out what is normally the repercussions for killing off the bronze faction is.

We have Lytek on out side.

If none were able to survive or pass their teachings and secrets on to a new generation of Sidereals, then you've wiped out the movement. This'll fuck with heaven in general like killing off lots of any Sidereal would, but It'll also allow the Gold Faction to take charge, and you'll see a lot of moves and policies endorsing Solars as pawns, and less support for Dragonblooded. Some might even genuinely like Solars and believe them to be the rightful rulers, but most of them just value Solars as powereful tools rather than something to hunt down.

Thank you for the advice!

We're doing it on behalf of the entire Incarnae, Kejop accidentally provided evidence of the Usurpation and a list of all members of the bronze faction, we are hoping this will end their withdraw into the pleasure dome.

I've never played a game of exalted where the storyteller doesn't have the sidereals be the biggest threat to creation in the setting due to the incompetence of the bronze faction

I've never played a game of Exalted where our Circle didn't brutally kill all the Bronze Faction motherfuckers who messed with our shit.

Uh, why would the Incarnae give a shit?

The Usurpation happened long after they'd turned their backs on Creation, and it never made them even look up.

Because they gave the Solars mandate to rule, and Lytek came clean to the Incarnae about the Great Curse.

they're hopeful now

>Because they gave the Solars mandate to rule,
Because that works out so well in general. Even without the Curse, Exalts would behave hardly any differently, as we have several canon Exalt-types to demonstrate.

> and Lytek came clean to the Incarnae about the Great Curse.
I'm sorry, the only response I can see from Conky on this matter is "So?"

More elaborately: "Why should I forgive my Chosen their weakness anymore than I would the madness that it allowed to enter and fester? They were gifted with MY boundless might, and yet still fell prey to enemies literally on their deathbeds."

Maybe after some actual show of penance and labor, Conky would consider it, but I don't see him the type to suffer Chosen who can't detect and undo a "mere" death curse from their cosmic enemies.

your headcanon does not apply to everyone

No, it doesn't, that's why I was trying to invite discussion as to ascertain the thought-processes that led to your headcanon on the matter.

"Conky just shrugs, forgives and forgets all the abuses of the First Age because curse" is an end-goal I have trouble seeing the road to.

That wasn't me, but I agree with that user - Conky has 5 in all virtus - he should be all forgiving, the type if you're honest to he'll say it'll all okay, as long a you're not a creature of darkness.

Creation has steadily been declining, and if HIS chosen can actually reverse the tide, I bet that would make him less depressed.

Everything I've read about Conky in the actual material points to him being very forgiving because he realizes humanity is flawed

In the primordial war, Conky exchanged himself for a single, mortal captive, because he realized if he couldn't trade his life for one of those under his charge, he was worthless.

He has compassion five for a reason.

Ah, 2E Conky. Fair enough.

If I'm within close range to an enemy, and wish to Rush to another enemy further away, do I need to also Disengage from the first guy?

1e Conky is a douchebag written back when white wolf was still trying to be edgy

Not right away, since the rush action doesn't make you move immediately, but if you wanted to actually make use of the rush action's reflexive movement, I'd make you roll a disengage, yeah.

I would rather have the leader of the gods be a douche than a total retard.

What happens if a Solar uses soulteel? Is it just crap for them?

Also, is it possible to play as a Solar who's Exaltation shard use to be an Abyssal who ended up redeeming himself and dying?

1E Conky is a god of perfection with the problem of holding everyone to the same standards he holds himself to. He is, after all, perfectly fair.

>What happens if a Solar uses soulteel? Is it just crap for them?
In 2e? Yeah, it just incurs the same doubled attunement cost.

In 3e? You can use it same as any other MM.

>Also, is it possible to play as a Solar who's Exaltation shard use to be an Abyssal who ended up redeeming himself and dying?
In theory yes, but you'd certainly need ST permission, for several reasons.

1E conky is more o a drug addict who can't realize his own hypocrisy

2e conky is more of softy, but he realizes the Exalted, given the right situations, can be much better rulers than him because they're human

>1E conky is more o a drug addict who can't realize his own hypocrisy
As opposed to 2E Conky, who's a drug addict and actively postures his moral superiority to people from a position of just as much hypocrisy.

>2e conky is more of softy, but he realizes the Exalted, given the right situations, can be much better rulers than him because they're human
That's literally nonsense, and absolutely not present in the text. Humans aren't special in Exalted. That's kind of the whole point of the setting; there's no unique "humanness" that makes them the triumphant underdogs and mentally superior to aliens in some nebulous fashion.

Not having the great curse is a drawback AND a boon right?

Are there more benefits mechanically to having it then not?

Also, I'm having a hard time finding what the magical materials actually do in 3e, what chapter describes their mechanical benefits?

I got that impression from what the ink monkeys say

>Not having the great curse is a drawback AND a boon right? Are there more benefits mechanically to having it then not?
Sort of. In 2E, Solars cured of the Curse still had Limit, but in place of Limit Breaks they lost 1WP dot for a month. Arguably that's really bad, but it depends on how many people you don't want to butcher.

In 3E it's unknown.

>Also, I'm having a hard time finding what the magical materials actually do in 3e, what chapter describes their mechanical benefits?
There aren't any. Artifact material just informs the themes of the artifact and what evocations it expresses. Which also means we might see artifacts that aren't crafted from the same 5 fucking things for once.

I think they can become better rulers because they have a good chunk of the perfection of the Unconquered Sun, at least at times, and an actual human perspective. They are humans, humans with godlike power but they were still born and raised as a human.

Gods have often been mentioned at having a completely different perspective on life than mortals, they cannot die, don't need to reproduce, and have anatomies completely disparate from humanity. A Solar has all the same potential failings and wants as a human, eventually, like in the First Age, they will forget these things and become monsters even worse than the gods or the Primordials because at least the gods and Primordials had that alien psychology to blame their horrific acts on, the First Age Solars basically chose to become monsters over time.

Humans aren't special, but the best ruler a human empire could have is a human ruler with the potential perfection of the Unconquered Sun, no other being could possibly know the wants, needs, and failings of their subjects except somebody that is one of them.

That I believe is why the Unconquered Sun would view the Exalted as better rulers than he would be.

>They are humans, humans with godlike power but they were still born and raised as a human.

Ah yes, 20-some years of mortality weighed against millenia of life-experience not that different from being a god.

Surely one of these will outweigh the others.

So, are there any games looking for players?
I've checked the usual places, and can't seem to find any.

I've got an ERP game you can join.

I'm look for an extra player, but only if you can come in person

Yeah, eventually, that's why the First Age ended in the Usurpation, because once the Solars become the God-Kings whenever they Exalted they were whisked away and told they were amazing greatness and everyone should line up to suck their dick, they weren't treated like a human anymore, and eventually they became mad tyrants beyond anything we could possibly see in our world.

They have the potential to be great rulers because they understand the life of a mortal in a way no other being could, but then they have the potential to be even worse rulers than the Primordials or the most vindictive god because they SHOULD know what they're doing, but they chose to do it anyway.

A Primordial kills millions of mortals because they don't see them as "people" a Solar does it because they chose to forget that fact.

Not that user, but ERP you say?

Is there any reason something can'y be made of more than one?

I just always hated the color gold

Yeah. You gotta tell me what will you play and how far will you go with it and I'll determine if you're in or not.

They can be made with any combination of magical and non-magical materials, including exotic ingredients like a behemoth's claw or something.

Exalted ERP? My dreams have come true!

Is there a non-thread way to contact you to avoid taking up posts that could possibly be more productive, or should I just drop my magical realm down for all to see?

Contact details?

Exalted has a lot of ERP games, it's a very popular type.

Not 48169228 but interested. Details?

magical realm

How would you guys do the prophetic Solar Lore charms Infernal versions? I was thinking making them Cecelyne-based, where you just flat-out rewrite the laws of reality to benefit you and you only.

Very well. I will, for politenesses sake, put it into spoilers.

My biggest fetishes are pregnancy, submission and being bred; bondage is fairly high up there as well, as well as transformation and corruption. Depending on the edition, the type of Exalted I would play might different, but I would most definitely enjoy playing a relatively innocent, recently-exalted maiden forced to dive head-first into amazing debauchery and the increasingly corrupted influence of outside forces.

what about giving birth to a child that instantly grows up and you have sex with?

that was a the plot of an avenger comic

You can make a Solar's weapon out of any magical material; a Solar can use Green Jade Daiklaves, or a Starmetal Skycutter, or whatever, for your artifact weapon, and it will be pretty much as effective, just in a different way.

Sounds suitably traumatic.

OR here. Well, here goes.

I don't really have a magical realm as such, I'm up for a lot of things. I'm more of a character person, playing someone who just gets into erotic mis-adventures. The nature of them depends on the character.
Right now, I have a dawn caste loli, and a lesbian pirate queen.

that plot is actually how ms marvel left the avengers

they were perfectly okay with some guy mind controlling her into letting him impregnate her with himself in alternate dimension, giving birth to him in the real world, then forcing her to run off with him and be his sex slave

needless to say, fans were pissed, and a few years later (new writer) she came back and flipped out on them

Remember Holden and Morke are liars

Fair enough.

You're not the guy who was advertising the game, are you?

no

nor am i the one who told you to magical realm

What? And I can still never find even a mention of them? Where the hell should I be looking?

Your FLGS

Are there seriously people here who don't know about noko?

Who in there right mind would ever think that would be namefaging, instead of just a retarded mistake?

Well, long shot, but where and when?

New Jersey, starting in two weeks or so

So were you just trolling us or are you gonna deliver contact info?

Meant that post for , sorry.,

None of you passed.

Well you're picky. What would it have taken to pass, then?

It's a secret. Otherwise, what's the fun in making you admit your Magical Realm?

Hey, thanks to the guy last thread that pointed out Inexorable Advance way after I asked my question, didn't expect an answer but got a pretty good basis for the Evocation.

can someone post an example of a well made character?

like, also explaining the reasoning behind putting points where in character creation?

Nothing, really. You just have to make my penis feel funny.

What the fuck is this combat system? My God.

Am I overreacting? Is it a lot better in practice than it is on paper? Because Dice pool for initiative, dice pool for attack, dice pool for damage modified by extra successes from attack roll, constantly adjusting and keeping track of initiative changes, and I haven't even begun reading into charms and shit, it seems like a lot. Like, way too much.

Does anyone have stories of having fun with this combat system? I like the scale and scope of the game (minus huge battles between epic sized armies, that's just not my thing for tabletop), so I'm interested in playing.

Yes, it's unintuitive on paper, but pretty good in play. Just try a few practice rounds with the basics, and work your way up. You'll get a sense of Initiative being how good someone is doing in that fight, and it'll feel dramatic when people get high, low, or a big change happens.

It's fun, but crunchy. If you don't like crunch, you probably won't like it.

my experiences with it have been pretty bad :< it just feels like a long, pointless slog until someone lands a proper decisive hit and ends the fight

idk maybe i'm doing something wrong, it just doesn't feel that fun to me :/

In my experience, its not the system that makes it long and boring, its the players who take 5 minutes to consult their charms and decide on a course of action - and who wait until it's their turn to start thinking.

I find it fun as fuck. It combines dramatic description of larger-than-life combat with the thrill of BIG NUMBERS. I found it pretty intuitive, too, people tend to pick it up quick if they actually try. It's a lot more fun than 2e.

I'll give it a try. I'll go look for a game group that hopefully has mostly people who are ready to do their thing when it's their turn.

I'll figure out a way to play something I've always wanted: a heavy armored grappler/fist fighter. Striking for withering attacks, and I dunno maybe I can create a custom charm that's like a spinning piledriver, or T Hawk grab for decicive attack.

Voice helps pretty immensely with speeding up combat. I tend to speed up combat in the game I'm in by knowing it really, really well, coaching people who don't know it outside of game time, and being ready to very quickly, plainly, and briefly explain any given system when it comes up, since some of them can't be assed to read the book.

Also, the thing you just described is just Solar Brawl. Most of that is ess 1, even. And you don't need a custom charm for a spinning piledriver, that's pretty easily a stunted Crashing Wave Throw. If you want your striking to mostly be your withering stuff, then you just need a handful of the strike charms, and can dip heavier into the grapple tree. Ferocious Jab, Falling Hammer Strike, and Fists on Iron would probably carry you a long way, for your striking attacks.

I'm playing a similar character (not really heavily armoured, but with resistance charms).

Things to watch out for:

* You really don't need to make withering attacks - Strength Increasing Exercise + Crashing Wave Throw can deal lots of damage with no initiative needed. You just need enough initiative to successfully pull off the gambit, and Vicious Lunge (the entry-level grappling charm) means that number is 4 (enough to pay for the gambit without crashing) which is what you'll reset to at E1 with the Dawn anima power.

* All grapple attacks are gambits, which is to say decisive attacks. Weapons - or the lack thereof - don't matter, and they are hard to land. You'll have to use your excellency to reliably succeed against tough opponents, until you get Dragon Coil Technique and River-Binding Wrath - which means E3 unless you're Brawl supernal.

* With Crashing Wave throw, you'll only rarely need to perform withering savage attacks - you'll generally throw them straight away, rather than holding them down. However, due to this, you'll be sitting at a low initiative a lot of the time, and if you're crashed, you can't grapple, so this effectively turns off your shtick - and your charm investments. You really don't want to get crashed.

* You'll blow through motes right quick. You'll be able to take out tough opponents quickly and reliably, but in a long fight, you'll be down to 5-motes-a-round after doing it once or twice.

Wow, thank you so much. You both pretty much did all the work of hunting down and looking for the "must include" options. That frees me up to focus more on understanding the system and the setting, and I appreciate it.

Variable A: Exalted System
Variable B: Specific Player Group X

Result: Long and boring gameplay.

Variable A: Fate
Variable B: Specific Player Group X

Result: Fast and fun gameplay.

Well, we didn't change Variable B, and the result changed, therefore it must be Variable B that is causing problems. Lets blame them.

Exalted is fucking significantly more crunchy than Fate, of course their turns will take longer. But relative to other crunchy games, and previous editions of Exalted, 3e goes pretty smoothly when people know what their charms are and understand initiative.

Hey /exg/, I have a request:

I'm playing a Dawn and I'm trying to come up with ideas for a set of shortklaves. I'll post what I have written up, and would really appreciate any ideas to make them into something interesting.

Style & Substance
(Moonsilver and Green Jade Shortklaves, Artifact •••)

Style and Substance are a pair of daiklaves made from an alloy of Moonsilver and Green and White Jade. Style refers to the moonsilver sword, which can turn into an attractive bangle or a glove and not lose any of its functionality. Substance refers to the less morphic sword, which is a beautiful verdigris sabre of relatively small size.

I don't know what the Attunement bonus could be, nor do I have much of an idea of what Evocations it has. Something something poison, or maybe something something anti-fae bullshit.

Hey /exg/, do you think you could explain mounted combat for me?

>Be on cool horse
>take turn to go from medium to short distance to target
>another turn to go from short to close
>perform impale attack (p203)
>disengage on the next turn, risk getting rushed by some pleb on foot, bad end
>take ANOTHER turn to get back to medium range
>repeat

Is taking 6 turns in between impales really the only way to do this? It feels dumb as shit to just sit there on your horse in close range poking at people until they die. I want to be mobile all running around and shit.

Also how would you rule motorcycle mounted combat? do you think ride charms easily convert to bikes? I want to build a mechanic that does some motorcycle artifact jousting shenanigans.

You get the Mount Speed bonus to Rush, Disengage and Withdraw. You also use Ride instead of Dodge and Athletics for any movement rolls.

Also this :
>Mounted fighters employing close-range weapons enjoy a +1 bonus to withering attacks against non-mounted opponents of human scale, or +2 against battle groups (p. 205) not armed with weapons with the reaching ag (p. 586). Mounted fighters also enjoy a +1 Defense bonus against attacks from close-range weapons wielded by non-mounted opponents, so long as those weapons lack the reaching tag.

So as a mortal, you're obviously not supposed to spend your time going to mid range, impaling and going back, because as you've noted, that takes way too long. Instead, you charge in, impale a dude, avoid the fucking pikes, then fight like any high-mobility fighter : use Disengage and Rush a lot, go from one target to the next, and when things go south, Withdraw like a boss. And avoid the fucking pikes.

If you're an Exalt, there's charms to let you disengage reflexively, charms to speed things up range-bands wise, so I'm sure it's possible to build a character specifically for spamming Impale attacks on everyone on the battlefield. Even without that, most battles won't be duels, so you have plenty of opportunities to spam them just with a bit of investment. Just attempt 1, reflexive disengage, target another dude at Medium (probably their Archer), attempt 2, reflexive disengage, go back and forth between targets, rinse and repeat.

When did post about Fate?

Yeah, it turns out if people have trouble dealing with complexity the problem goes away when you remove complexity.

This doesn't make complexity worse.

Generally, you want to make all the Evocations work together to create an overarching effect and flow to using the weapon. What kind of build do you have?

For that pair in particular, hmm. My tendency would be to have a style that flows from relying on one to playing up the other. Maybe have Substance do some weakening/poisoning deal, then morph Style for a deadly decisive.

So something like...
Attunement: withering attacks with Substance have +1 Accuracy. For an extra 2m commit, decisive attacks with Style have +1 raw damage.
* A Charm that cuts down defense in a way that's about as good as, but mechanically different from, Falling Hammer Strike. e.g. base Duration 5, +1 duration, -1 Defense, on additional hit, but when first hit make Stam + Res and remove that many successes.
* A Charm that helps the former Charm work, such as by inflicting a temporary penalty to Resistance rolls.
* A Charm that boost the accuracy of a decisive with Style, as it morphs from bangle/glove/whatever into actual sword and surprise slams people.
* A Charm that boosts the damage of a decisive with Style.