Question of the thread:
What are you working on?

Other urls found in this thread:

uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1467937444
uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1467938582
youtube.com/watch?v=wDajqW561KM
buzzclaw.blogspot.com/2016/05/blind-homebrew-playable-zombies-for-ad.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Thanks, I was just about to make a new one.

OSRIC - Advanced Adventures #21 - The Obsidian Sands of Syncrates.pdf
OSRIC - Advanced Adventures #22 - Stonepick Crossing.pdf
OSRIC - Advanced Adventures #23 - Down the Shadowvein.pdf
OSRIC - Advanced Adventures #24 - The Mouth of the Shadowvein.pdf
OSRIC - Advanced Adventures #25 - Beneath the Heart of Empire.pdf
OSRIC - Advanced Adventures #26 - The Witch Mounds.pdf
OSRIC - Advanced Adventures #27 - Bitterroot Briar.pdf
OSRIC - Advanced Adventures #28 - Redtooth Ridge.pdf
OSRIC - Advanced Adventures #29 - The Doom of Red Rauthim.pdf
OSRIC - Advanced Adventures #30 - To End the Rising.pdf
OSRIC - Advanced Adventures #31 - The Lost Lair of Drecallis.pdf

uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1467937444

The two from the last thread have been uploaded. Downloading this now.

>What are you working on?
Another magic system, I'm starting to get sick of classic vancian. Been thinking of magic it two-parted, with the wizard being able to do simple but interesting cantrips (Beyond the Wall style) and also powerful but dangerous spells (DCC style). There would be no middle ground.

Locating downloads for Dark Albion and Alpha Blue. So far unsuccessful.

I'm working on this big setting for a campaign I'm going to be running, but asking for opinions and advice might be more suited to a world building thread or something.

Also wrestling with whether I want to pay 20 dollars to get that coat of arms creator, since every other generator online sucks tremendously.

A new system. Still trying to figure out what "gimmicks" to focus on but I'm hoping it comes out well.

>Dark Albion

Pundit's a faggot.

I've been experimenting with my own magic system idea as well.

Every Wizard gets magic dice- each die is a type or school of magic. Each level the Wizard gets +1 dot or rank in one school, roll under to cast a spell (in combat).

The only issue I have is what exactly should be the 'losing' resource condition for the dice? Maybe equal to go successful result - active motes? In that case maybe 2 dots per level?

Both are under /OSR Misc

Pundy's Reddit-tier.

Last chunk is all miscellaneous stuff. I tried to folder-ize this stuff a bit.

Blood & Treasure - Come to Daddy (lq).pdf
Blood & Treasure - Come to Daddy - Maps (lq).pdf
Castles & Crusades 4e - Abbernoth Campaign Setting.pdf
d30 Fiend Generator, Pt 1.pdf
d30 Fiend Generator, Pt 2.pdf
Whitehack 2e (booklet version).pdf
0e-BX-1e - Auroral Arcazal of Aethaungor.pdf
0e-BX-1e - Foray to Filmarion Wood.pdf
0e-BX-1e - Grizzly Graveyard of Grimgortha.pdf
0e-BX-1e - Inexplicable Ice Tower of Inverlock Isle.pdf
0e-BX-1e - Sjaudvergrhall.pdf
0e-BX-1e - Thrymjahellir (Threemyahetler).pdf
0e-BX-1e - Tomb of Ludor the Beheader.pdf
Kugelburg Flood (a four-page dungeon).pdf
Old School Rules - Android.pdf
OSR & D&D5e - (DNH1a) Lost Temple of Forgotten Evil - Side Quests - River Crossing (dewm).pdf
OSR - (PO-2) Goblin Market (watermarked).pdf
Percent in Lair - Ant, Giant.pdf
Thunderhead Manse (a one-page dungeon).pdf
Lamentations of the Flame Princess - Dark Sun Conversion Guide (13 pgs).pdf
Lamentations of the Flame Princess - Forgive Us - Conversion Document.pdf
Tunnels & Trolls (7th edition) - Alternative Rules.pdf
Tunnels & Trolls - Catacombs of the Bear Cult.pdf
Tunnels & Trolls - House of Wish and Wonder (dewm).pdf
Tunnels & Trolls - Uncle Ugly's Underground.pdf
Dragon Horde 01.pdf
Gazebo Gazette 01 (dewm).pdf

uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1467938582

His blog would be tolerable if he didn't turn every other article into a politics rant.

I don't know how I missed those looking there twice, thank you TroveGuy!

>Lamentations of the Flame Princess - Forgive Us - Conversion Document

Oh, it appears this is a document for converting this LotFP adventure to work in Pathfinder. Weird. I wouldn't have bothered downloading it if I'd known that.

Also, Swords and Wizardry - Hero's Journey is a clone based on S&W, rather than an addon for it directly. It might be better filed separately.

/TSR/04 AD&D 2nd Edition is now complete. Every file has been vetted, and with a couple minor and negligible exceptions, we have everything listed under the collectors checklist for TSR.

It will take a bit for the Mega Folder to sync, but all of the folders within have been sorted out on my end.

Next we start tackling the settings.

retraction: one major exception:
Keep an eye out for the 1991 factory cards. We have a nearly-complete card collection now. We're just missing the 91 series of trading cards.

I'm converting the MCC free RPG day 2016 Funnel over to Heroes & Other Worlds rules.

Prepping to someday run B4- Lost City with a bunch of changes- mostly just taking out the stuff that doesn't make sense/is shit.

What are you cutting, then?

So far it's just been changing some of the later encounters to make more sense(WTF is a blue dragon doing 9 floors underground? And how did he wind up next to the chimera and vampire rooms?)

Other than that: trying to figure out how the party can restock on members once inside other than with natives,remodeling some of the floors to be more thematic ,and changing Zargon to be not-Cthulhu for giggles.

>/TSR/04 AD&D 2nd Edition is now complete.

youtube.com/watch?v=wDajqW561KM

> \TSR\04 AD&D 2nd Edition
Completely finished, vetted, uploaded.
> TSR\05 Settings\Al-Qadim
Vetted, finished, uploaded.
> TSR\05 Settings\Birthright
Vetted, finished, uploading new files now.

As a passing comment, the Birthright splats are some of the most beautiful RPG books I've ever seen.

I'm going to try to do the smaller settings next. Lankmar, Mystara, and Planescape are likely going to get done before I go anywhere near Dark Sun, Ravenloft, Dragonlance, or Forgotten Realms. Especially those last two. Holy fuck those are a lot of books.

You're doing Pelor's work, TG.

I made this a while back but I never posted it here. It's a Zombie PC template for AD&D 2e based on The Complete Book of Humanoids (which you'll need to use).

Be warned that it's probably REALLY shitty and my understanding of AD&D is shaky.

buzzclaw.blogspot.com/2016/05/blind-homebrew-playable-zombies-for-ad.html

>trying to figure out how the party can restock on members once inside other than with natives

I love coming up with these- I should make a random table for it. Now I don't know what's in that dungeon in particular-
>Caccoon with disoriented man is stuck inside. His blood is bright green, but us otherwise totally normal
>Stone Cistern with ancient person- lots of culture and technology shock- comes from Bronze age civ in the setting
>Ceiling gives way, new character literally falls right into the party
>Boiling cauldron owned by witch/shaman enemy. The potion is to 'create person'. The last ingredient is a drop of blood. The next character will be similar in apperrance to the blood donor
>person kind of just appears next to party, insists they have always known them. (They have, but they are from an alternate universe where the character is a lifelong friend.)

Are there any funnel adventures centered around non-human PCs? It would be cool to go from a 0-level Orc nobody to Kruk Bloodfist, Scourge of The Shaded Hills.

Reposting from the old thread.

>So Shinobi and Samurai has me thinking of a pseudo-hexcrawl game with some domain management involved.

>The basic gist is that the party members have, for various reasons, displeased the Imperial Court and "promoted" to senior representatives of the Emperor's Grace to the far northern reaches of the Empire - a podunk land where it's always cold, the people are surly at best and angry natives that want Imperial heads on a pike at worst, monsters abound and there's a hell of a lot to do. Also, the last senior representatives sent up north all died there.

>So, what are good resources for winter styled adventures? I'm not interested in fantasy ice realms or anything like that, but stuff like Hokkaido and the less populated regions of Canada.

user recommended Weird New World but also said it might be too magical.

>So, what are good resources for winter styled adventures?

Dragon #68 has weather and Ice Age adventuring rules, maybe those might be helpful?

I wouldn't know, but that sounds like a fantastic idea. heck, I like the idea of an OSR game focused entirely around non-core races. so instead of Humans, halflings, and elves you get Orcs, Kobolds, and, dunno, ghouls or something.

Any one here look at or play Godbound? It's not really OSR, but I am curious what others think.

>I like the idea of an OSR game focused entirely around non-core races.
You might like In The Shadow of Mount Rotten, it's all about playing as Goblins, Hobgoblins, and Orcs in the wastes.

As for me, I've been thinking about writing up a funnel for Gibberlings or something like them but I doubt my own abilities.

Is it any good as a setting? Have the pdf, just haven't really cracked it open yet.

I haven't read it in an in-depth way but it definitely seems to be.

Speaking of this, I'm wanting to not use vancian casting. Any OSR games with a good magic system that can give me some inspiration? I was thinking a point based system maybe?

Any systems with a good Illusionist class out there?

Spell components - useful and potentially flavorful way of restraining wizards/coloring spells, or just an unnecessary exercise in resource management?

Managed to add
> Dark Sun
> Lankhmar
> Mystara
to the "complete and vetted" list. Mystara is presently uploading. Apparently nearly all of the official AD&D2e material for it was audio-based? Everything comes with CDs. I'll have to play with it later.

Remaining in this folder
> DragonLance
> Forgotten Realms
> Greyhawk
> Planescape
> Ravenloft
> Spelljammer

The good news is that once those are finished, I'll have curated the entire TSR D&D collection.

NEXT STOP: JUDGES GUILD.
Keep an eye out for any and all JG material.

What sort of spells do you think, from the original DnD game and from any expansions you know of, are absolutely the most core and 'essential' spells to have in a retroclone/rulebook? Not necessarily the strongest or most useful, just the ones you feel are best/most classic/most memorable?

Magic Missile
Fireball
Sleep
Floating Disk

been working on a setting idea for this sort of concept, pretty likely I'd make crunch for it as well if it goes anywhere

You want to look up
>\TSR\04 AD&D 2nd Edition\AD&D2e Adventures - Miscellaneous\TSR 11392 - Reverse Dungeon.pdf
And
> \TSR\02 Basic D&D\Basic D&D Gazetteer Series\TSR 9241 - GAZ10 - Orcs of Thar.pdf
Might flip through the rest of the Gazetteer series as well.

I've read Orcs of Thar before, and it's definitely an influence, although I'd almost definitely make up all new classes for the Monstrous Humanoids, as the Orcs of Thar ones are kinda on the weak side by BX/BECMI/RC Racial Class standards(at least in my opinion), not to mention I prefer variety in my classes(most races would get at least two classes)

In the game I'm currently working on, the four races each have multiple classes, demihumans have 3 and humans having four (human, however, can go into a class archetype such as Warrior [knight] or [berserker] making them not unlike kits from 2E).

Nonhumans. Do we really need them? Pointy-eared bastards.

Could we just make humans more interesting?

You are correct. But when you start insuinating things like 'these humans are half demon' and 'these humans live a lot longer then others', you start getting to the question as to why you made them all humans in the first place.

Personally I am not a fan of the classic elf/dwarf/hobbit paradigm because I think it's a bit boring. But humans, goblins, trolls, and furries being playable? Now we're talking.

I'd say make humans more interesting, make demihumans weird as fuck so only the most daring/experienced players will play them.

> But when you start insuinating things like 'these humans are half demon' and 'these humans live a lot longer then others', you start getting to the question as to why you made them all humans in the first place.
I had no interest in doing that.

Good morning bump

>Apparently nearly all of the official AD&D2e material for it was audio-based?
IIRC there's two setting boxes and one adventure, with all three having audio CDs for reading narration out loud for the included adventures. From what I've heard they're not that great, and the early ones even include narrating what the PCs do which is a bit eh.
I think it was a thing in TSR at the time?

>Keep an eye out for any and all JG material.
A word of warning: Pegasus Magazine is weirdly difficult to track down in digital format. I managed to get a few issues from a half-dead torrent, but that's it.

Also, if you manage to figure out what's missing (I think there's some collectors lists out there to make that easier), post a list so that we can crowdsource that shit.

Thanks, TroveFamigo

No need to "make humans more interesting", really - they're generally the most interesting race in the setting anyway. Just chop of race selection altogether and you hardly miss anything.

Seriously, though, look at your favorite setting and compare the number of different human cultures to the number of different demihuman cultures. Per race. Because generally you'll find that you maybe get just half a dozen cultures for a non-human race at best, and most of those could probably be done by a human culture as well.

People have a very specific idea for what an Elf or Dwarf is supposed to be like, and don't vary too much from that idea - however, with humans people look at IRL civilizations like they do demihuman races. You get vikings and Ottomans and Romans and Native Americans and Indians and Frenchmen and Italians and I'm not even done with listing all the pastiches in the Known World.

Meanwhile the Elves are basically limited to varieties of magical hippies and Dwarves are gruff gold-diggers who may or may not speak with a Scottish accent.

I'd argue that humans are ALREADY more interesting than demihumans.

Does anybody have issues with the way to-hit / attack progressions are done in whatever version of D&D you're playing? Has anybody modified these progressions, even if it's just importing multiple fighter attacks into Basic?

Hey can anyone post the LOTFP combat reference sheet that was on here about a month ago.

And the firearms variant.

Thanks!

> Spell components
I like them as a way to reign in more powerful spells. Plus I'm a fan of anything that makes magic weirder and more eccentric, so having my magic user stealing dead man's fingernails and shit is fun.

The common complaint though is that spell components are a resource tax. While thieves and fighters can do their things all day every day without issue, Wizards have to burn money to use their powers. Given how limited magic users already are in the early part of the game, components can seem like adding insult to injury. On the other hand, one could balance this by noting that they don't have to buy armor or weapons, generally.

The best situation is with a balance.

Yes and yes, sort of.
Pinches of sulphur and frog eyes are fluffy and cool from a narrative standpoint, but mechanically the magic user is already bound by the limits of spell slots and the need to balance flexibility with effectiveness in loadout. Tracking down individual components for individual spells effectively forces them to do the same thing twice to be functional (memorizing the right spell as well as carrying the right component) Personally, I like taking a cue from 3.x (heresy, I know) and having generic component pouches for low-value materials while limiting high-level spells with expensive compounds and gems. Plus you can still get casters in trouble by separating them from their pouch.

I've always liked the idea of having a magic system that builds on adjectives, instead of stupid long lists.

Say, for example, you have the Fire spell. All it does is create a ball of fire in your hand, and you can lob it at enemies to cause burning damage. Now, if you're strong enough to enlarge the spell--Ranged Fire is like shooting a small bolt, Explosive Ranged Fire is like shooting the classic Fireball. More levels, more adjectives you can tack on, and your spellbook would be filled with all the adjectives you've collected.

Granted, I have no idea how utility spells would work. Explosive Knock would unlock all the doors in an area? I dunno

Sounds like Ars Magica or Changeling: The Dreaming.

Ars Magica is an interesting system, but the system is a tradeoff. You gain more flexibility player-side, and you don't have a list of spells to comb through. On the other hand, you now need to set up a system of rules about what magic can and can't do outside of what the players own capabilities are that must be remembered at all times, and as a GM be prepared to babysit your players use of magic to make sure they are within the bounds of their abilities.

For a game like Ars Magica, which is explicitly about wizards, it works fine. It's a good entree, but I have a suspicion it would make for a clunky side dish.

Alright, then how would you make humans more interesting without playing into traditional fantasy tropes?

The latter, I reckon. I'm fine with it as a way of "coloring spells", although from my experience that's mostly just bad puns - however, making them actually keep track of how many ounces of bat guano and living spiders they're keeping in their pockets seems overly fiddly.

Just subsume it into a general "you need to pay X gp to prepare this spell", if that's what you're actually after.

>they don't have to buy armor or weapons, generally.
Neither do the Fighter and Cleric, though? They buy their first set of plate and whatever weapon they fancy, and then probably mostly rely on random treasure after that.

Even in the editions where plate costs a thousand gold or more, that's still less than you need to get to level two. Meanwhile, spell components are either extremely cheap and thus ineffective in being anything more than a recordkeeping headache, or they're expensive enough to actually matter and thus quickly outpace the Fighter's spending on arms and armor.

Besides, what the Fighter is REALLY going to spend money on is a fuckhuge castle and an army of mercs. But the Magic-User is also going to spend a shitton of cash on magic item and spell research. It evens out.

If you want to balance magic-users, don't make shit more complicated than it needs to be. Shit, just go in and change the root of the problem, which is probably going to be the spells unless you're playing OD&D with Greyhawk in which case it's the rule that level 7+ spells don't allow saves. If Wish gives you a headache, just don't let M-Us cast it and restrict it to wishing wells and genies. If Sleep is too good at beating encounters, nerf it.
Don't try to add stuff on to cure the symptoms; go straight for the throat.

>Explosive Knock would unlock all the doors in an area?
And AoE unlock would probably be handy, yeah. Especially with hidden doors.

Door mazes BTFO.

It may not be completely OSR, but 2nd Edition has the Vikings Campaign Sourcebook, and there's a section on Rune Casting. It's not as powerful or versatile as Vancian casting, but it's certainly more flavorful in the context of the intended setting.

There's also Psionics, though that may not be your cup of tea (Psionics pops up in several places, notably the 1e Player's Handbook, the Dark Sun setting, and the Complete Psionics (Psionicist?) Handbook for 2e.

> Psionics
Why was this a thing? What do psionics offer that make them different/interesting/desirable in a system where we already have divine and arcane magic?

Not the original user- but personally I would make it to where instead of race you pick a nation for your character to be from, and actually have them be culturally distinctive rather than "Humans in blue clothes, Humans in Red clothes, etc" best example I can think of would be similar to the Witcher's various nations.

>Vikings Campaign Sourcebook, and there's a section on Rune Casting
I'll check it out, thanks. Might check out how Ars Magica does it as well.

>(Psionics pops up in several places, notably the 1e Player's Handbook, the Dark Sun setting, and the Complete Psionics (Psionicist?) Handbook for 2e
Don't forget OD&D Supplement III: Eldritch Wizardry, a.k.a. The Best Worst Psionics Version.

It's pretty neat but oh boy does it need an editor to go over it. That book's easily the worst-formatted OD&D supplement, and that's saying something.

I'll also never stop shilling BECMI's psuedo-psionics system that the Immortals got, which honestly handled psionic combat way better than psionics ever did. (Turns out the answer was rock-paper-scissors.)
Wrath of the Immortals was a bad product, but I don't remember how much they kept of power combat?

Also, I think there's two versions of Dark Sun psionics? There's a latter book, Sun & Sand or something, I honestly don't remember. Might be that it just hooks into Complete Psionics Handbook, though. Also I think Skills & Powers might have had a system?

There's also that one Dragon Magazine issue that tried to fix AD&D 1E Psionics and created the Psionicist and whatnot.

The history of psionics is kind of messy.

What did druids and illusionists have to offer in a system that already had M-Us and clerical magic?

It covers a literary niche that wasn't previously covered, basically. You'll probably note pretty quickly while reading through Appendix N that a bunch of that stuff could probably be classified as "psionics", not to mention the whole new agey stuff that got tacked on to it later.
Although I suppose it shares some ground with the Monk?

There's more ways to handle magic than how Jack Vance did it in The Dying Earth, really.

>best example I can think of would be similar to the Witcher's various nations.
What, not the real world?

Another option is to make the need for material components a phased affair.
Low-level shmucks are scrambling to bottle monster blood and bug parts while high-level mages are casting spells through willpower alone.

>There's a latter book, Sun & Sand
You mean The Will & The Way?

True, though taking inspiration from real world nations has it's problems once the players figure out, "Oh these are the totally-not-French guys."

>Low-level shmucks are scrambling to bottle monster blood and bug parts while high-level mages are casting spells through willpower alone.
While thematic, that's a bit backwards balance-wise. It's usually not the low-level M-Us who are the problem, after all.

Which is probably why AD&D put high-cost material components on specific supposed-to-be-rare spells, come think of it.

>You mean The Will & The Way?
That's the one, yeah. I remember gearing about it while reading a thread about the CPH but couldn't remember the name. Apparently it fixed some stuff?

Trust me, players will do that anyway.

"Oh, it's the not-Romans. Oh, it's the not-hippies. Oh, it's the not-vikings. Oh, it's the not-mongol horde."

Or, for hilarity, something akin to nWoD's Mage - it is the youngsters that cast out of willpower and gumption, but as their powers grow and they become more and more out of phase with the fallen reality they have to rely more on rotes and magical instruments lest they get massive paradox whammies.

Which also neatly pushes high-level wizards to stay in their labs and towers instead of solving everything forever.

>What do psionics offer that make them different/interesting/desirable in a system where we already have divine and arcane magic?
> Divine and Arcane magic

>What did druids and illusionists have to offer in a system that already had M-Us and clerical magic?
Druids and Illusionists are specific classes that use divine and arcane magic.

It doesn't say "why do we need different classes." Classes are fine.

Psionics are not just a third kind of magic (which might not have been a bad way to do it), they are a whole new and additional subsystem.

What's OSR?

OSR generally refers to D&D games released during the TSR era (pre 3e) and modern games that are based off them (OSRIC, Dungeon Crawl Classics, Lamentations of the Flame Princess, Swords & Wizardry, etc)

What do you mean? You want to use mana points?

I actually like how VtM handled disciplines.
each level of a discipline has one power that does one specific thing. To use it, you need to pass a particular dice roll, or else nothing happens - the more dramatic ones also use up a resource pool such as blood.

For osr I'd run it like this: magical abilities come in distinct paths. You start out with the first power of one path. When you level, you can either learn the next power along that path, or start learning a new path. All powers require a (difficult) roll to perform, with something bad happening if the roll is failed.

I have asked this before, several months ago, but I would like to get a new round of opinions on it.

What is your opinion of classless systems?
How would you do your own, and what would you include?
Do combat skills in the vein of LotFPs stances have a place in OSR?

I have been plugging away at a point-buy based classless, levelless character generator wherin you use 100 points (Sounds like a lot, turns out it isn't) to purchase hit die, AC bonus, spell slots, starting gear and the like and to allocate into your stats (at a rate of 1/1). Balance is a long road but it has reached the point where nothing seems hugely OP and the average statline people I test put together is in the 50-70 total realm, about where 3d6 would get you.

Would you personally bother with such a system?

>What is your opinion of classless systems?
Not OSR.

I prefer classless systems for things like modern or sci-fi, but that's because I'm a sucker for the strong guy/smart guy/sneaky guy tirfecta.

I think point buy is an interesting system but the random rolling is a lot of fun too. I'd prefer smaller point values is a lot easier to manage IMO.

Also as for other non-class based systems look up 'Adventure Points' on 'I remember that move' blog, really interesting way of generating adventures if you don't mind the GM fiat kind of stuff. Also Into the Odd has an interesting classless system though it is more gear based in that regard.

Edgy.

>What is your opinion of classless systems?
Probably a better fit than classed systems for many genres - sci-fi comes to mind, but really it's mostly anything that isn't as archetype-obsessed as fantasy.

Actually making them work depends on how you go about doing things, though. There's a world of difference between GURPS and a one-class-does-everything system that still has levels and whatnot.

>How would you do your own, and what would you include?
OD&D, Fighter table, everyone can use spell scrolls if found but not necessarily REuse them, throw in some clerical spells either in yet more scrolls or perhaps some rudimentary prayer mechanic.

If I wanted to go full point-buy I'd probably need to stop HP growth and remove spell levels and all sorts of stuff that would make me rather just steal some other system, though.

>Do combat skills in the vein of LotFPs stances have a place in OSR?
No clue what those are, but there's certainly things that can be done with expanding on combat. Or, hell, ripping out the combat system entirely and replacing it with something else. d20-roll-to-hit isn't THAT fundamental to OSR - just rejigger the rest of the math and you can change things without much of a problem.

Do note that most changes that would make combat more complex would also make it take longer - this includes dead-simple stuff like Chainmail man-to-man.

Maybe a 3E Crusader-esque card combat system could work out? I dunno. Or just use ordinary playing cards, and make the suit matter or something. Or go rip off Yomi. There's a hell of a lot that can be done.

>Into the Odd
Wow, I have basically read all of that guys stuff. I liked the classless system he had, but I wanted a more 'build your own' feel. Its not really classless in that sense, it just lets you mix and match to an extent.

Will look up Adventure Points presently.

In what way? I would argue OSR is more based on the feel of the gameplay.

Part of it is wanting to break away from the archetypeal system, particularly because my players tend to ignore it or put their own spin on a class. I thought I could encourage this by pushing modularity.

LotFPs stances are essentially 4 actions which are available to certain classes that change your stats per turn. Say you wanted to go all out, you can choose the Offensive stance and get +2AB and -2AC.

I think it would be cool to be able to learn a greater variety to encorage progression outside of levelling and break up the "I hit it with my sword" that ensues when there are no convenient cliffs or flippable tables. For example, you could learn a parry where you take -4AC, but if the enemy still misses you deal double damage next turn to them as you take advantage of an opening.

As a more general point, the consensus seems to point to sci-fi benifiting from this the most. How about science-fantasy in the vein of Hyper Light Drifter or Furi?

Finished working on a B1 rewrite (chopped it up and rebuilt it as a tighter DCC funnel-like module. Really just formatting my Ref notes).

Now I am working on my homebrew rules. I got burned out on DCC so I'm starting with LotFP and houseruling the poops out of stuff. Some DCC stuff will probably find its way in.

Biggest changes are I'm trying to separate ability scores from class choice. Abilities will no longer directly modify class specific stuff; just things that are useful to any character.

STR modifies carry weight, DEX modifies initiative, CON modifies hitpoints, INT modifies languages, CHA modifies hireling morale, LK works similarly to DCC but not quite.

Saving throws are now a dice pool mechanic and are tied to each ability score with class modifiers further tweaking it.

Race-and-class.

Bunch more stuff.

>Do we really need them?
depends on the setting. Yes, I know it's a trite answer, but it works.
When I run stone-age games, PCs can be humans, or neanderthals, or various prehistoric mutants. When I run 'kitchen sink' fantasy, elves, orcs, dwarves and goblins become options. When I run pseudohistorical (such as my ancient roman game) it's humans only, but foreign cultures take the place of demi humans. When i go gonzo, you get weird-as-fuck nonhuman races. And so on.

this stops being a problem if you run pseudohistorical. Just have the totally-not-french be actually french, rather than trying to disguise it.

>but I wanted a more 'build your own' feel.

Oh well, if you want that, go for Goblin Punch. He has a max 4 level sort of system where you could mix and match class abilities, going in order. So as class may be Fighter 1, Fighter 2, Barbarian 1, Noble one as a level 4 chatacter. Sadly it's not fully finished or posted yet. It's 'The Goblin Doctrine' over on that blog.

I browse Goblin Punch a lot, but haven't seen that. Thanks. I guess it isn't in the GLOG.

From what you describe it sounds neat, but lacking in modularity. Care to elaborate?

Nevermind, I am an idiot. I realise what you are talking about now.

Some would also add a number of systems from the same pre 3e era, old school Warlock and Runequest, but they tend to be in the minority

Do you have a write up?

Wouldn't putting so much stock in ability scores screw people who rolled badly?

Just finished transcribing a bunch of setting data from one of the PDFs of Woodland Warriors into a Tiddlywiki to use as a campaign journal. Probably won't be able to use it but I know a couple people I could run it as a solo game for.

I'm still working on it in evernote. I will probably transfer the finished product to google drive and pretty it up a bit for my players. Maybe I'll share it here.

couple of failsafes:
Roll a group of 3 or 4 level 0's.
4d6 drop lowest down the line. Swap one.
A character with less than 0 total modifiers may be scrapped and re-rolled.
A special ratman race may be chosen and is restricted to characters that have total 0 or less modifiers. They get some nice bennies to offset having poo-poo ability scores.

Beyond using a single save mechanic, what else does S&W do different from other games?

Nothing

Alright, /osr/, working on a new campaign setting that should, hopefully, be system neutral and you all get to help put something in!

I already have the general landmasses and seas done, but I want to know what I should do with the largest city in setting: Should it be a city state? Should it be ruled by a monarch, mage, council, oldest person, etc? Should I place it in not!China, not!England, not!Arabia or not!Sub-Saharan Africa or someplace completely different? Maybe it's a flying city that slowly moved around? Who knows! I want fun and crazy ideas! Names! Locations! Factions! Churches! All are open and free and will also help refine the setting at large (after all, if there is a temple to Ythullian the Conqueror then I'll no doubt work on that and figure out why Ythullian is called that and how they fit in the setting!

Top 10 choices (my pick) will be picked, nitpicked over and, hopefully, made into a overarching gazetteer of the setting for your all's enjoyment and use.

The city is located entirely on an archipelago and nearby adjoining islands. The area is littered with angular rock formations, naturally forming into long and straight pillars of hexagonal stone perfect for building basic foundations even on the water.

The city is very vertical- every building rises into huge spires. This is primarily for the political system, which we will get to shortly.

The city is not owned by any one person or group, it is democratic and organizes by votes. However each 'vote' is based on a colored flag system, typically blue and pink for easy identification, pink for 'yes' and blue for 'no', but more complicated issues and elections may have multiple set colors for each selection.

There is no law against people owning multiple towers however, so a single owner can control the city's laws through money. All the votes are counted from a single central 'high' tower owned by the democratic/religious council that tallies the votes dependently. Only votes counted from this tower count, so politically interested people often build their towers higher to block sight to competitors, or even do some insane slanted building to try and squeeze just around the corner of another tower so the flag can be seen.