There's a tournament arc coming up in this 5th ed game of DnD I run and I'm looking for ideas for competitors...

There's a tournament arc coming up in this 5th ed game of DnD I run and I'm looking for ideas for competitors. I've already got the important ones figured out, but I'd like to pad the roster with interesting NPCs.

To clarify its a medieval style tournament rather than a martial arts anime style tournament.

Is your campaign's tone serious or funny?

Mostly serious, but not grimdark gritty all the time. Slightly wacky characters are ok.

If it was funny I was going to suggest James and Messi stand in but an arc of a competitor getting desqualified because of tax evasion could fit your campaign.

It could actually.

Just grab a few characters from Game of Thrones.
Charismatic spanish spear dance battler is a good start.

the town butcher wants to try his hand. He does surprisingly well

The king himself in disguise.

>a medieval style tournament

Like a joust? Could you be more specific?

>strong independent female warrior who is extremely vocal about her gender in this tournament
>the female tourney regulars look to each other and shrug

This sounds hilarious.

Pic related

There will be a series of jousts and a 'grand melee' that every combatant enters, as well as one-on-one fights and team vs team. There will be a mix, its a pretty long event.

Its a celebratory tournament to mark an important anniversary, so it runs for two weeks with the tournament champion crowned at the end of it.

I had my party observe a tournament i hope they'll join (they did). Final fight was versus Johnatan Centus a shadow monk (can't see him), who in turn became most popular npc in entire campaign... He was created on the spot...

How about a paladin who is in the tournament just so he can kill a evil nemesis also taking part in the said tournament?

A young mage who is under the impression she is the BBEG and acts accordingly.

A hafling warrior out to prove his diminutive stature isn't going to hold him back

a no good dirty sonofabitch who'll use ever trick in the book from pocket sand to groin kicks. possibly cheats, but definitely gets at least as close to cheating as possible

A peasant farmers son who lucked his way into the tournament and seeks to be the first to win honor and fame in his family to help them out of poverty.

a war vet who is the sole survivor of his unit, still carries his banner into battle with him. (keeps it rolled up and uses it like a spear) He fights to gain honor and prestige for a legion that has been dead since the last great war of his country

she proceeds to be defeated round 1
> PATRIARCHY!

Half orc fighter luchadore in the vein of Ultimate Warrior, Hollywood Hulk Hogan, and Kimbo Slice

Is that last one inspired by guilty gear? The banner spear part.

You need a strong sista.

A fighter(totally not a warblade) trained in the nine swords, out to battle to prove the superiority of the school he learnt his technique from.

>The farmer chooses a quarterstaff everytime
>lasts until the final battle

Hired Blades, Sword Sisters, minor (and major) nobles,

Have the PCs roll for weapons,
1-Bow and knife
2-sword and shield
3-hatchet and shield
4-twohanded sword
5-javelins and shield
6-spear and shield

1-4 role for horse, 5-6 automatically get horse

You can swap the javelin and shield for a light crossbow and shield and sword, in which case they have to roll for horse