You're DMing for a group of people...

You're DMing for a group of people, and the cocky asshole of the group decides to attempt to do webm related against an NPC assault.

Is he full of shit?
Do you allow it?

Other urls found in this thread:

d20pfsrd.com/feats/weapon-mastery-feats/cut-from-the-air-weapon-mastery
d20pfsrd.com/feats/weapon-mastery-feats/smash-from-the-air-weapon-mastery
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Part two
>other players literally asking if it was dumb luck
Would you OK it?

Only if he lets my two years worth of semen flow endlessly into him.

user pls, I was asking that question seriously.

no

Can they pull it off? If yes, what's the fucking problem?

depends on what type of game and how high level they are.
lv15 in my stupid high fantasy weeb game?
SURE!

In my dark age, low fantasy celtic myth-quest? no.

You'd let them stop mana projectiles by using a basic attacking sword skill?

Because that's what's happening. I don't think stats or dice call bullshit that.

You'd let them do that even in your suggested former setting?

Do what? Get a facefull of death? Yes, I allow it and hand him a new character sheet.

>Do what? Get a facefull of death?
See

This desu. Although celts doing weeb things would be hilarious.

When we play low-fantasy games, they are all pretty gritty both thematically and mechanically. When you go 1v1 it's doable, but can still cost you if you fail. If you go 1v2, you can pull it off if you're a much better swordsman or have an advantage, and if you go 1v3 you probably have a death wish.

I see no problem doing this kind of shit in high-level DnD. I mean, some people like weeb-feel of high-level martial classes.

If he succeeds on the appropriate checks at Impossible difficulty, sure.

So what would the appropriate checks be to pull off ?

I kick him put of the group for being an insufferable fucking weeb with garbage taste in anime

>Although celts doing weeb things would be hilarious.
you mean Orlanthi?
Yes, yes it is.

>skill checks at impossible
Niggardly what? He just needs Presence Extrusion

If none of the attacks hit I'll let the player describe how they weeb-block them, yeah.

If they want to literally roll to block...well the game doesnt support that so no.

Depends on the setting.

... and the system.

Pretty sure stormlords are more capeshit than weebshit.

>I don't think stats or dice call bullshit that.

Why not? Because he's using a sword to do it?

Well. Yeah, I guess that's my reason.

What system?

He'll still take heat and force damage from the explosions. That should reduce him from full to 20% health.

I'm guessing you play Pathfinder and thing Sean K Reynolds is a good game designer?

Also, what system?

because fuck fighters

Is D-20 basic enough?

N-No

It would gib any thief or wizard who tried the same thing.

Our standard system allows parrying magic missile attacks (a general category, not the specific D&D spell) with enchanted weapons, so obviously I'd let him attempt it. Cocky assholes may get the sharp end of selective enforcement on some things, but that's too basic to bend the rules for him.

Doing it against seven missiles is just barely within the range of possibility for the group's current power level. It's too late at night to do stats but I think it'd be a 1 in 1000 chance.

So uh, yes, why wouldn't I?

Of course if it's the kind of game where parrying magic attacks isn't in the rules (eg, D&D, default GURPS) no, I wouldn't.

If he has the feats/abilities that let him specifically do it? Then yes.

Which incarnation of d20?

>default GURPS
DO YOU EVEN GURPS

THERES A BOOK SPECIFICALLY WRITTEN ON A SUBJECT OF PARRYING MAGIC ATTACKS WITH WEAPONS

>Is D-20 basic enough?
No.

Obstacle 6 on Sword Skill
Having a grey shade sword or skill or some magic to help you can give you some advantage

It's doable for strong pc geared toward it

Just before he guy in red tells the mages to fire at will, Gary Stu tells him that he's never tried to take on 300 people before.

The only other time he's attempted to block projectiles was with a lightsaber in a completely different game system, and he's never attempted it in the current one he's in.

would Urban Arcana qualify? d-20 modem?

>would Urban Arcana qualify? d-20 modem?
No. No one plays d20 Modern more than once.

Yes. I just don't know anything about d20 Modern, except that it's universally considered to be shit, so I can't answer your question.

>d-20 modern is shit
>I've only got into tabletop a month ago
>d-20 modern is what my friend started me on
Teach me your ways.

>Completely different
If account transfer is a thing, the systems can't be entirely different. Also, he might have just been using d20pfsrd.com/feats/weapon-mastery-feats/cut-from-the-air-weapon-mastery then, and by next arc he grabbed d20pfsrd.com/feats/weapon-mastery-feats/smash-from-the-air-weapon-mastery which would be a perfectly fine feat progression in my eyes.

Well user, the first step is to play other games. Non-d20 games. If playing them is not possible at least read them. Notice how infinitely better every single one of them is without exception, and you'll never look back.

I'd lurk Veeky Forums to find a game to start on, but I don't want someone's shit taste to rub off on me.

The only other game I've been thinking of trying is The Force and Destiny, but I don't really have anyone to get into it with. That friend isn't really the best guy to try new things with, unless he recommends them.

Well shit, I stand very corrected.

Largely depends on the circumstances. Are we playing 3.5? If so, I'd be willing to let martials get away with a lot of shit so long as they can reasonably justify it and are willing to roll for it. Level 10+ Fighter has a magical sword and has been sinking skill points and feats into applicable skills and wants to try to deflect magical projectiles out of the sky with his sword? Fucking go for it.

On the other hand, if it's, say Dark Heresy, and an Assassin wants to try to deflect psychic assault with his blade because he thinks he can stand up to several rogue psykers? Nigga's about to get rekt.

Ultimately, it's all about the themes of the game in question. DnD, and a lot of fantasy RPG's, are all about doing cool heroic shit. In that vein, rule of cool can carry things pretty far. Dark Heresy or a lot of the World of Darkness games? They're supposed to have a lot of consequences and roleplaying and the like. In those systems, brash, heroic actions are far more likely to be met with abject failure unless very carefully planned out and/or heavily supported by RaW builds.

What said.
d20 is among the worst systems in this industry (FATAL and its ilk notwithstanding), but unfortunately also one of the most widespread.
It is the Windows of the RPG world. There are infinitely better systems out there, but most people use it because of convenice, sheer volume of content and because everyone else does it. (Not so much since the release of 5e, but my point stands.)

*convenience
I'm tired.

Deflect anything + unlimited deflection. Epic feats though. Under those specific circumstances? Yeah. Anything else? Spells hurt.

Hell even some d20s can show definite superiority to the D&D.

Go read Mutants and Masterminds 3e.

>ball of arms man
>dex>everything
>Superspeed=win
Yeah, whatever.

If he's mythic, which kirito would likely be, he could also have mythic combat reflexes, granting unlimited deflections.

dude's clearly charging his sword with magical power before he starts swatting magical projectiles.

if i'm running a game where there are mechanics in place to facilitate that, then yeah, why not? heck, your magic sword might protect you from a given damage threshhold of magical attacks or something. that's totally reasonable.

but being able to swat magic out of the air with your sword innately? probably infeasible. maybe if you readied an action, then i'd let you take a crack at hitting certain magic-based attacks and defecting them - depending on energy type and actual mechanics. you're not going to golf-swing a fireball or lightning bolt out of the way, but you could maybe deflect physical objects fired magically with a readied action.

ultimately it depends on how anime you want your setting to be. keep in mind that if you let people do this, though, you've immediately escalated the abilities of every weapon-using class against magic-based attacks, and you have to be consistent. if people can slap spells out of the air with their swords and axes, mages will stop throwing projectiles and adapt, because otherwise their firepower has been rendered impotent. keep that in mind, as well.

>You'd let them stop mana projectiles by using a basic attacking sword skill?
Are you saying that's unrealistic? Because mana projectiles are unrealistic, that's fucking magic, you know? If said character have mechanical way to do that (depends on system, but, just for example, "ray deflection" in 3.5) - he can do that.

>keep in mind that if you let people do this, though, you've immediately escalated the abilities of every weapon-using class against magic-based attacks, and you have to be consistent. if people can slap spells out of the air with their swords and axes, mages will stop throwing projectiles and adapt, because otherwise their firepower has been rendered impotent.

depends on how common/foolproof it is. monks and sometimes fighters in D&D can deflect and catch projectiles like arrows, bullets, etc, it doesn't stop people from using those weapons, both because the defence isn't perfect and because we're probably talking less than 1% of opponents who have the skill to do that. for most archers, the first time they see someone catch arrows in midair and throw them back only happens in the last few seconds of their life after all.

The glow is him exectuing an entirely non-magical sword skill.

so, in-universe, you can swat magic with your sword, thus rendering it not really impressive to be able to throw magic attacks around. i'm sure the anime in question addresses this fact somehow.

actually, what's the source material based on? is it from a video game or something? because if so those specific systems determine when something can and can't occur.

deflect arrows is much, much less potent than deflecting a 10d8 magical projectile. it would still render direct damage magical attacks a lot less scary if it were even somewhat common for people to be able to do this. it's just something that needs to be considered when you are running a game, is all.

You can always try roll20
This is where I found my group and we've been playing together for 2 years now. It's a blast.

SW FFG is a very nice system and it's somewhat popular, I'm sure you will find people to play with you

In universe, only Kirito can swat magic with his sword because he practiced swatting bullets with his sword in another game and magic projectiles move slower and also he's the only one with good enough reflexes to manipulate the trajectory of sword skills to actually hit the tiny hitboxes of magic projectiles.

I.e., it's a Mary Sue/self-insert-only skill.

And it's a full-immersion VR game in universe.

So, you're basically watching an anime made to cater to young adults who want to fullfill their power fantasies, and you're wondering why it doesn't impress you with its deep characters and interesting story, so you made a passive-agressive thread on an imageboard just to bitch about it? I think you're just growing up, OP. Maybe it's time to start reading actual books and maybe get a job?

>OK we call this the missile parry glitch, what Kirito is doing here is multiple frame perfect inputs to overwrite hitbox priority. This could easily end the run here... and he does it
>HYPE!!!!

Go back to watching SGDQ. I know I will.

>ball of arms man
Does nothing.

>dex>everything
It's not exalted and it isn't. Plus powercaps.

>Superspeed=win
Also doesn't do anything outrageous.

see

>Actually, factually, unironically posting Shit Taste Online webms
Get the fuck out

Parry Missile Weapon is a retardedly cinematic skill, I never go that far. I just stick to TV/movie "realism".

You know, it seems that on that .webm situation. The sword that guy is holding seems to be magic or with magical effect, so it's not a simple "basic sword attack"

See

Right, because Thieves and Wizards are known for their sword-deflecting prowess.

Wizards cast shield. Rogues deflect a fireball in a 10x10 room.

You remember the scent where Aragorn deflected the knife the orc threw?

That wasn't done with cinematography. He actually managed that untrained by surprise. they left it in because it was cool. The knife was supposed to just hit the tree and stick into it. Sure, you're not going to manage it with an arrow or the like, but thrown weapons? Sure, it's easily possible. Otherwise baseball and cricket wouldn't be a thing

>what is baseball
>what is cricket
>what is hockey
>what is motherfucking lacrosse
You're retarded.

Dumb weebshitposter leave.

nigga's dead yo

The dice will fall as they may. If they can roll all the actions, sure. If they fail, they may or may not get shit stomped by an army of NPCs.

I'm not GMing for my group, and none of the players at the table are cocky or assholes. Your question is irrelevant.
You're full of shit.

He's a dual wield Technician. If he DOESN'T have the Aura Extension Ki Ability to cut spells at level ONE, something's horribly wrong with him.

What exactly was that supposed to be?

Sure swatting magic missle out of the air with your sword would be pretty high level ability but I see no problem with being able to use your shield to take the brunt of the hit and I mean this with regular gear before you start getting into magic weapons

This is supposed to be some sort of video game yes? Well, I guess I would let him do it then because it's in the system as doable.

Looks like a pretty shit anime fampai. Have you considered suicide yet today?

>and the cocky asshole of the group
Real life isn't like your Chinese cartoons, not every member of a group is a dumb cliche or archetype.