How many fucking times do you people have to be told that "enforce spell components" doesn't fix anything?

How many fucking times do you people have to be told that "enforce spell components" doesn't fix anything?

It fixes some things if you make the components hard to get, instead of just letting them buy 5000 gp worth of diamonds from the grocery store.

Casters are still OP as fuck but enforcing spell components helps if you're not a shit gm.

It can be fun.

Have you tried not playing 3.5/Pathfinder? Maybe give 5e a try sometime?

Spell components are the GM's out for when a spell is wielded too powerfully. It's the stick that goes with the carrot of spell research, and it works like this:

> GM: your fireball killed all my story-important NPCs in the inn
> PC: awesome! i cast another one at the church
> GM: you can't get any sulfur anymore, and if you already had sulfur then you used up all your bat guano and can only get more at a very dangerous cave dungeon I made, in suitable quantity to only cast once, like a one-time magic item
> PC: wait, can we talk about this
> GM: you could research a new spell that doesn't require a material component
> PC: sweet I totally do that
> GM: wonderful. but before that, six guards appear, roll for initiative

I rule that spell component pouches are only good for your currently prepared spells, and you have to buy a new one each time. Even if you prepare identical spells.

So yes, better get used to crafting, boy.

Enforce spell components fixes everything you fucking pleab. Gitgud at GM

Stealing this.

Waiting around for the wizard to scrape bat shit off of every square inch of the dungeon floor isn't fun, nor does it actually fix anything.

It just gives you more opportunities for emergent gameplay.

And most ingridients aren't so exotic that they can't be found in a sentence or two during downtime.

I prefer just to set price for every spell in advance. No money, no jazz.

>make a system wher magic has a price
>a monetary price
>cast-from-loot

Yeah, that stop solving every problem with a spell. Especially then prices go up for spells which are used too much.

Do away with spell slots and components and just make everything use level one spell slots

>you have 10 spell slots
>costs 3 to cast a 3rd level spell

Nigga if this is stemming from that thread the other day where the guy was like, "am I fucking casters too hard," I listed enforcing spell components at the tail-end of my suggestions as like an auxiliary to the other auxiliary options.
Do you even into reading comprehension, or is this a bold-faced troll?

Give the players opportunities to barter for better prices. Like an economy of spirits. Whoever actually has the power the spells are drawn from.

This I like.

So you aren't actually enforcing anything? You're just making the spellcaster go "I look for spell components" occasionally?

Again, that doesn't actually fix anything.

OF all the things, 5e doesn't fix that. If the PCs don't want to go hunting for trivial components, they can just make or seek out an arcane focus, which is one adventure at most, if you're being difficult.

This, of course, assumes that you're already making costly spell components harder to get.

Actually isn't that something you'd use a streetwise roll for?

Enforcing spell components doesn't do much to fix balance no, unless you're running some sort of survival campaign where players have to scrounge for literally everything, but really the better answer is to just play a game or edition other than 3.P where casters aren't insanely broken.

You're right, it doesn't fix anything.

The only way to fix DnD casters is to reduce the power of their spells. Rewrite them, that is the only solution.

Enforcing spell components is like enforcing any other resource that the player uses to play their class.

At best, it gets thrown to the wayside once the GM and the party forget about it or at worse, it's another layer of bullshit to keep track of that serves no purpose beyond bookkeeping to "limit what you can do."

I'm sorry that I would rather kill goblins and earn loot, rather than wasting everyone's time scraping bat shit into a vial before every major encounter we're expected to have that day.

Besides, there are so many ways around this that it isn't even worth it.

>ITT: House rules that don't make casters any less powerful but make playing them much more tedious.

I've said this so many times. The caster balance issues lie not with the classes themselves but the spell list and would be easily fixed with a bit of editing