How would you play a hero race based on H.R.Gieger's work?

How would you play a hero race based on H.R.Gieger's work?

Like, despite looking repulsive and monstrous, they are actually the ones preventing the industrialization of the world?

Other urls found in this thread:

suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=giger
docs.google.com/document/d/14Po6lNzbyr9KPRsDUedUtU5xKnYLqUUjdaK5IsjKdpM/edit
youtube.com/watch?v=lEE4yZgphFk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Make them very individualistic. They have the mindset or notion that Industrialization takes away the value of a person, a being of great potential being reduced to another gear or cog in a machine only to be replaced when they find someone better then them.

"instead of taking from the earth and creating a machine to do the work for you, take from the earth only what you need to become what you must in order to get the job done yourself"

First I'd learn how to spell Hansruedi's name.

Then, it's been done. From the Xenomorph in the Alien series, which was entirely inspired by Giger's work, to the Harkonnen in Lynch's Dune, which was at least colored in Giger's tones although the sociopolitical details come from Herbert and I don't know where the gay stuff came from.

Now I'm not sure what your beef with industrialization implies exactly, but I'd be totally up for a hidden ecosystem beneath the soil where carapace landscapes grow unseen deep in the geology. Sometimes a chrysalis buds up through the ground and bears a guardian on the surface...

So far I like the ideas OP and others have mentioned. Perhaps a bit more incomprehensible to other races, but ultimately chaotic good.
Their industrial and disturbing aesthetics could be seen as a parallel to chemotherapy. Both are ugly, brutal, and unnatural, but ultimately they are working to cleanse the cancer, whatever you choose that to be.
Whether or not the other races realize this is up in the air.
Maybe that could be abused and misunderstood by other races, perhaps understandably due to their sheer strangeness, similar to Frankenstein (Mary Shelly's, not lobotomized movie version).

>preventing industrialization makes you a hero

Biomechanical von neumann androids that communicate by rubbery gropings.

>preventing industrialization

>somehow a good thing

>fuck that

Id just make them lovecraftian power rangers. When man was but apes and the world was new the horrid gods of stagnation hated the thoughts of anything that changed. In order to stop them life developed champions of flesh, tissue, bone and blood. These creatures were special, each one, but would sleep for thousands of years, reforming with partial memories of past lives.

Basically cooler versions of 4th ed deva

A race of religious darwinist who believe that the highest calling of all living beings is to evolve both in mind and in body such as the way of nature except they have an special duty to do so because they can guide their own evolution to a degree.

The gay stuff also comes from Herbert.

I don't remember it from the novels, but it's been a while.

The Baron was implied to be a pedophile and maybe into incest. Lynch somehow turned this into 'put Sting in a thong'

Herbert himself hated gays though, mentioning how gays make excellent suicide bombers in The Dosadi Experiment

Makes you wonder what kind of people we're going to hate next, after Muslims I mean.

Probably the cyborgs and augmentationists

>The Baron was implied to be a pedophile

The book tells you he's a straight-up boy fucker user.

You mean the hipsters?

The old standby, Jews.

Ah, if only Veeky Forums had fiction, fantasy and roleplaying board. Oh, they could call it 'Traditional Games', to separate it from 'Videogames' but I imagine the scope would be much wider than that. Imagine a place where people inherently understood you didn't have to like or agree with a political idea to enjoy exploring it.

I'm not sure you can reasonably say Giger's art is anti-industrial, OP.

>this post

It's been years since I read it. Give me a break.

Also amputees.

bump

>Giger
Giger's work is a nightmarish look at a humanity that has evolved away from morality and towards a collision between technology and biology, a collision that makes ethics a non-issue.
Ancient torture machines stand covered in dust containing only the last vestiges of the bones of their victims. Buildings, machines and beings are indistinguishable and ultimately morbid.
None of the images in your post are by Giger.

it's definitely Giger influenced though

Giger was a hack.

>o fug ids a benis in a bagina! :DDDDD ebin

A race that specializes in living machinery, fleshcrafting, and bionic augments. They *look* scary and alien, and their culture appears weird and freaky to outsiders, but there is nothing malignant about them, and there technology is surprisingly environmentally friendly

^^^Most basic, easy way of spinning it. You could do other things if you were feeling more creative.

I'm kind of working on a setting based on biological magi-tech, which is meant to have some Giger-ish elements, though its meant to be a little less grim and a little more fantastical and colorful, with some undersea/coral reef influence in architecture and such, alongside the living machines and vessels.

If you're looking for inspiration, I'd recommend checking out gigerverse on sup/tg/. Anons came up with a very well fleshed out (no pun intended) world based on the aesthetics and themes of giger's works. There were living cities of flesh and bone and the half formed poor that inhabited it, along with the artistically sculpted nobles who held power in the spires. It's good stuff, check it out.

suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=giger

docs.google.com/document/d/14Po6lNzbyr9KPRsDUedUtU5xKnYLqUUjdaK5IsjKdpM/edit

>Geiger-esque heroic race
The race has been in pitched combat with a horror the likes no other race has ever seen or faced before, but this particular race has been fighting them for eons. As a result, their technology has evolved into something incredible, a mixture of machine and flesh, to other races, it looks horrifying and depraved, but in reality, all their technology is incredibly humane and high tech, they just have no time for aesthetics due to their war. The immense, smog filled city structures seem to be make the race seem fiendish, tearing away at what remained of their barren plant, but in reality, the insides of the massive structures are meant to preserve what remains of their home world, to protect patches of abundant vegetation and wild life, the barren, smog filled zones of their world are the result of the unknown horrors attacks, devastating the land and air they touch. As for the abundance of bones and contorted bodies, that is what remains of the eons of war, the enemies bodies pile up. The race understands they are seen as horrifying monsters by the rest of the known universe, but they accept their impressions, they have dedicated their races whole existence to fighting and keeping the true nightmares hidden from the rest of the universe, and they will continue to do so.

>you don't have to like or agree with
>a political idea to enjoy exploring it

Pointing out its flaws IS exploring an idea. In fact, it's one of the most important first principles of brainstorming. And, as Giger himself taught us, the other principles are all mutated human genitals.

10/10 would roleplay.

They started as robotic war machines built by a now long-extinct organic species to defend against an invasion from the Far Realms. Modifying themselves with vat-grown organic parts and Far Realm corruption did the rest.

Thats because they're not. They're from an upcoming game called Scorn that roughly uses Giger's art influence and combines plain body horror with it.

>The race understands they are seen as horrifying monsters by the rest of the known universe, but they accept their impressions
Why? Wouldn't other species be antagonistic towards them, preventing the acquisition of allies and favoring the emergence of new enemies?

Also, why is it a given that other species would consider them horrifying monsters? Most space age species would be wise enough to understand other species are bound to have other sensibilities - otherwise they'd be antagonistic towards other species and they themselves would be seen as the monster by all the other freaks who just want to live their own way.

To be fair, without industrialization we wouldn't have corporations.

Though that doesn't solve the problem of the existence of profiteer parasites, it just takes an advantage away from them.

Before we had corporations, we had feudalism. Their primary advantage being that they could afford to arm themselves with the money that they'd extracted from peasant labor. That type of exploitation has existed long before industrialization.

>Though that doesn't solve the problem of the existence of profiteer parasites, it just takes an advantage away from them.
As it turns out I already acknowledged that, thank you.

M8 if they can do that then they probably aren't a race of religious darwinists (Aside from Darwin's main point being natural selection).
They'd be a race of religious Lamarckians since they'd be passing on biological traits won through conscious effort on to the next generation.

Or at least I'm fairly certain that's what Lamarck's theories entailed.

Here's the trailer for it, looks pretty sick. My Cronenberg boner is so hard.
youtube.com/watch?v=lEE4yZgphFk

Easy. Just be the aliens from the Alien film but born within the confines of their culture rather than a feral youth running around a spaceship all alone with a bunch of pale primates trying to lynch it for the crime of being born.

Have the Precursors/Space Jockeys/Engineers be the bad guys,

Engineers built up a interstellar colonization level civilization/s then had a war and nuked their shit to extinction. Only Engineers to survive were in blasted ruins and space ships. Technology survived but the world to support a proper society did not.

So they adapt themselves. They start by making themselves cold resistant to offset the obvious effects of nuclear winter. Anti-freeze in the blood and all that. They mess with their intestines and stomach and such things to broaden their diet spectrum. They make their eyes big and dark to see in the ever-twilight. They alter their brains to not feel pain or disgust at the things they must do to themselves and each other. they alter their brains so they don't care as much about each other so that they can make necessary decisions dispassionately.

But they no longer care about anything besides themselves. Possibly they knew that this would happen and they didn't care or saw it as a steep but acceptable price for something of themselves surviving. Generations follow generations and they degenerate more and more grotesque in both body and mind, not that it bothers them, as the world around them dies.

The ships still capable of leaving have left a short while ago to inflict their madness on an unprepared galaxy.

The xenomorphs were an area denial, adaptive civilian depopulating and moral damaging bioweapon. They had to result in a creature that could think for maximum effect.

None of them were permitted to survive the dying of their world although some of the stage 1 parasite mutagenic virus in bacteria host was taken off world with the ships.

Man, Scorn is like the only game in 5 years or more that I desperately want to be well done. This is such a simple but fucking amazing concept, basing your world on Giger's visions. Why the fuck didn't anyone do this (in the modern era, so DarkSeed doesn't count) when the man himself was actually alive? Why didn't anyone get him to help substantially with a movie again in recent years? These will never be forgiven.

The Stage 1 Virus, the black goop, was inflicted on multiple worlds with variations by Engineers who only concern was sating their own insane curiosities without capacity now to feel empathy or disgust at all. What did they care for society or community? Each was a nation unto themselves beholden to nothing and no standards. So long as just one of them survived and had access to their ship's lab equipment they could spawn a whole race to toy with and torment for amusement. And they did.

The xenomorphs inflicted on may of these worlds did survive the death of their target/parent species and they were very clever. Eventually building societies of their own.

Deeply contemplative and in search for meaning they eventually reached out to the stars themselves. To say they were a bit disappointed in their makers was an understatement.

Biological machines 'are nothing if not' selective on a very basic level (10^-8[+-]1

If we eat the fossilized remains of our ancestors(cousins), we run the risk of science becoming just another type of magic.

how could you prove otherwise?

myself, obviously

There's a video game coming out about this, sort of.

I forget the name, but yeah.

I suggest you read the introduction to 'Aristotle in Outline", by "Timothy A. Robinson".

specifically page 8, 3rd full paragraph beginning 'I have been guided throughout...'

The preceding few pages of the introduction provide context, if you have the time and inclination...

check the OP filename.

Can the females be cute in their own kind of way

No.

Scorn. It's where the OP images are from.

Genderless would sound better at first, but then again Giger's art was hypersexualized which made it work so well. Cute doesn't quite sound what the OP was going for in either case.

Depends on your definition of cute.

That said he designed the alien for Species and that was hyper-sexualised.

>xenomorphs and harkonen
>hero race

Oh shit
OH SHIT

Stolen

Everyone is a vaguely phallic walking bag of giblets.

Reminds me of Guyver a bit. That's a good thing.

>xenomorphs
>not the good guys of the setting
We must be watching different movies.

>Oh my God! HEY EVERYONE! WE'RE ALL JUST WALKING COCKS!
>WE'RE ALL JUST WALKING COOOOOCCCKKKSSS!

>Bionicle

You have my curiosity.
Please elaborate

bump

Not really, no. Feudal oppression was significantly worse than corporate oppression, so reverting to feudalism would not be taking an advantage away from them at all, except in the sense that other feudal lords were a bigger threat back then. That doesn't really help the people being exploited at all, though.