/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General: Pretty Good Edition

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Old Thread
Tell me your character's goals, /5eg/. For DMs, tell me your future campaign goals.

Other urls found in this thread:

redkatart.com/treasure5e/treasureGen.php
dandwiki.com/wiki/Dullahan_(Variant)_(5e_Race)
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Tell me your character's goals, /5eg/.
He wants to find out exactly how many decades or centuries he can stay drunk off his ass while helping people where he can every once in awhile.

He wants to be an adventurer, instead of the literal murderhobo he's become.

Would making detect magic a cantrip be too OP?

It trivializes anything having to do with magic items, magically-controlled people, enchanted areas, invisible creatures, and more. It's bad enough that warlocks can get it at-will, and it's already a ritual spell. Leave well enough alone.

>at will
>already a ritual spell

thats kind of my point. it seems dumb to have to wait 10 mins to cast it every time, because so far nobody actually spends a spell slot on the thing.

I agree with a lot of that, but I don't think detect magic lets your see invisible creatures. I think it would tell you if there's something invisible within 30 feet of you, but no more than that due to a lack of visibility

even then it's only magical invisibility right? if someone has an invisibility that's not due to magic (psionics?) it wouldn't work

It just means that your DM will use asspulls to make it useless.

There's no official psionics yes so that's sort of iffy to rule on, but I think there are some "non-magically invisible(or similar bullshit)" monsters. Phantom Fungus (don't think those are in 5e yet) and will-o-wisp come to mind, but there's probably more

Psionics was just an example (that might not even exist yet), but any similar themed "not magic" power would work.

Psionics was just the first one off the top of my head. Either way I don't think DM as a cantrip is a great idea. Warlocks definitely give up something to have it at will and the casting time limiting it is probably intentional. It's a powerful utility you shouldn't always have access to.

1000 years ago a green wyrm of exceptional cunning and strength raided the desert kingdom of Al-Qual'tassir and stole an emerald of untold beauty from the king of the desert elves, gifted to him by the 4 elemental goddesses as proof of his right to rule. The wyrm split the jewel into 8 pieces, each holding a piece of it's terrible soul, and scattered them to the far reaches of the world. Now, for the wyrm to die, the pieces must be brought together and the soul of the first king of Al-Qual'tassir must be summoned to drag the soul of this vile creature to the afterlife.

My name is Shuja ibn Ali ar-Rashil, last son of a disgraced elven house, and I will burn all the cities of the desert until there is nothing left but glass before I let that damn wyrm claim the lives my youngest siblings as they are sacrificed by the cowards and traitors that lead this city.

>it's only magical invisibility right

Almost all of the invisibility effects in the MM are magical, except for invisible stalkers, who are bound to the world by magic anyway, so I guess detect magic should ping them. Poltergeist variant specters are also invisible without it explicitly being magic, and so are water weirds that are fully submerged in water.

All the others, however, specifically say "magically turns invisible", or can cast invisibility as a spell.

Will-o-wisp's invisibility says "magically becomes invisible". Look at MM page 301

My bad, I'm thinking of older editions. Invisible stalkers are still an example of it though

How can I make a character like pic related without being edgy?

Nope. But then, I don't give casters bottomless cantrips anyway. That's some 4e cancer I can do without.

As a GOO warlock he wants to gain the most powerful thrall. I am hoping for an archmage since that would be a great thrall.

>Now I, a powerful wizard, will cast... light crossbow! Ha ha!

It's already a ritual.

>6th level totem barbarian
What do I pick ?

Whatever the fuck you want. They're all decent.

Powerful wizards have plenty of spell slots. No need for the keep-up-with-martials easy button.

This. I hate it when DMs are incapable of either planning around the tools that my character has or just letting me use the (largely situational and only mildly useful) tools that I fucking specialize in.

I want to make a fist fighting grappler/brawler?
I just want to punch things hard. Grapple heavy enemies and throw them off cliffs or into traps. I'm definitely choosing Tavern Brawler.
Race: Half-orc (coolness factor) or
Goliath (can lift heavier)

Class: Barbarian (Rage gives advantage on grapples and stronger punches. Bear totem gives heavier lifting and better tanking)

or Fighter (battle manuevers for even stronger punches that control the battlefield)

How weak will I be around the first 5 levels?

Go monk.

>6th level totem barbarian
>What do I pick ?

Whatever you want. They're all ribbons.

>keep-up-with-martials easy button.
>2d8 or 2d10 once per round
>keeping up with 2-3 attacks hitting around 1d8+6 or 2d6+4

Okay.

Mechanically, heavy lifting doesn't effect grappling as far as I've seen, so I wouldn't worry about it. That said, a goliath grappler is just a better visual.

>low strength class
I think you're missing what this guy is looking for, user.

Vengeance Paladin.
And the Undertaker will ALWAYS be edgy.
That's the entire point of the Undertaker.

I always thought of him more like a really buff necromancer than a paladin

He wants to punch people hard. The only class that does that well is monk.

My goal with my character is to be physically strong and also tank. So as the other guy said I won't go monk.

I know 2 of my friends are going Wizard and Warlock so I want to be able to grab enemies who try to attack my fragile friends. I want to be Unarmed so I can grab potentially 2 enemies and just drag them away and still be able to kick them or headbutt them

I don't want to pick the class that punches the hardest.(cause I know it'll be monk) I want to be a high strength puncher and still be able to pull my own weight in a fight.

Stat me

You have a lot more options if you don't make that a primary damage dealing source.

Actually, I think a raging barbarian does close to the monks unarmed damage before flurry is factored in. Compare 1d4+5+3 (10.5) vs 1d12+5 (11.5).

Way of Long Death strength based Monk.

That's good to know.
I'm not sure how lenient my DM is but would making a fighter be worth it if I can Homebrew the Dueling fighting style to be a brawling fighting style for +2 damage on unarmed strikes?

>I want to be a high strength puncher and still be able to pull my own weight in a fight.

You never will unless you go monk.

He wants the Sun to shine in Ravenloft.

What's all this stuff I hear about high level play being bad? I know there's much less variety as monster CR increases, but does it go beyond that? Does combat break or something?

It's a point less than raging barbarian punches, but looks better than a monks unarmed at lower levels. Maybe the fighting style can grant a monks martial arts and treat fighter levels as monk as far as unarmed damage goes.

Anybody have any good homebrews for gathering and crafting? I have a player who's trying to make an alchemist

Session 0 of Curse of Strahd became a solid first session bringing the group to Madam Eva from three different home planes. I had to do a lot of it on the seat of my pants, but it was pretty easy to improvise.

Next session they get their Tarokka reading and get loosed into Barovia with no clear goal but a few good leads. I'm pumped.

I'm a fan of the eagle ability personally.

The problem will be overcoming immunity to non magical weapons

If you could Thrall an Archmage you might actually start contributing

jihad/10

Is there anything in the books that makes unarmed attacks magic aside from class features? I don't think that's too big of a deal since homebrew magic weapons are a fairly common thing, but it really depends on the DM

Hoard of the Dragon Queen has a magic item that does just that, called Insignia of Claws. It gives a +1 bonus to unarmed strikes and natural weapons and makes them considered to be magical.

Does that apply to Druid Wildshapes?

Give me a little creative input here, what kind of loot could you expect to burgle from a lords manor?
All i can think of for easily burgled stuff is the ladies jewelry box and the silver, what other valuables could there be?

High art.

>natural weapons
That's what it seems.

Paperwork and letters incriminating not just the lord but nobles and merchants near and far. It doesn't matter what it's incriminating for, anything from colluding to fix the markets to more nefarious schemes.

Expensive wine.

I dunno. Honeycomb Golem? Just whichever golem is in the CR bracket you want (I'd favor lower) that can use insect plague on recharge instead of whatever ability it normally has

Alternatively just use swarm of insects and make some or all of the damage poison or something

redkatart.com/treasure5e/treasureGen.php

Choose Hoard as Treasure type. Select it to trade most of the coins for gems and art. Put Magical item Frequency to None. That should give you some ideas.

What martial classes can benefit from a dip into wizard for Bladesinger features?
>Barbarians can benefit from Bladesong with light armor or unarmored defense, but would be unable to use a heavy weapon or shield, and would have 4(!) stats that affect combat
>Fighters generally want more armor, perhaps light armor EKs?
>Monks can benefit from the armor and don't benefit from the song restricted weapons, but would also have a lot of combat-relevant stats
>Paladins would have 4 combat stats AND a minimum Str
>Rogues could potentially get good mileage, moreso ATs

ATs and EKs are for sure the most likely to dip. Even a non-AT rogue might be worth the dip, since you could pick up find familiar, GFB/BB, and other great goodies while only being dependent on Dex and Int.

Is it stupid that our DM allowed a level 1 monk karate chop a thin stone wall with a nat20 str roll?

There's a lot of context I don't have here, but if he's not the kind of player that will start trying to chop down every wall from now on I wouldn't worry about it

Yes,I did it because the only other option was to use the paladin as a ram, since I was the oly one trying to come up with an idea.

Bringing around portable rams and sledgehammers is the privilege of strength based characters that have nothing better to do with their carry limits. Never underestimate shit tons of adventuring gear

No, no, not golem. Armor made of BEES

I totally agree,the paladin didnt have something like that and the monk(me) just improvised

Can a ranger have a bee swarm companion or is it magical?

Well it wouldn't really protect you from incoming attacks so much as dissuade people from getting near you, I would say a use the flame shield spell with a more BEES type flavor as a point of reference to whatever you actually want with it
Not sure (probably not), but swarms can't regain HP so you'd have to constantly replace your companion. That could actually work if you wanted to play up the beekeeper thing, but only a bat swarm has a CR low enough

good guide for spell creation?

Why could a bee swarm have higher CR than a bat swarm?

The biggest problem is that printed high CR monsters tend to have above-CR defense and below-CR damage. It makes combat a slog at high levels that doesn't feel threatening.

If a DM homebrews high CR threats according to the DMG guide, tuned toward higher offense and lower defense than what the Monster Manual uses, then it's fine.

He wants to prove the Wizard is a faggot.

Would you rather swat bats or BEES?

How is this supposed to be interpreted? I've got a few players arguing that they can roll the hit die and then between the result or the average whereas I say if you roll you take the roll.

The brackets separate two options, rolling hit dice or taking average every level, they don't get to take the best of both worlds.
That's not important though. You're the DM so it's your call regardless.

It kinda depends on how you the DM decides. My group usually dose that you say what you will do first, and then do it. You can’t roll and then take the average. Ultimately it’s your choice how you go about it.

That's what I thought. Just wanted to make sure I was in the right.

Not my fault one of my players rolled a 1 and tried to rile the whole table up about it.

is anyone even using the broken ass shit from dandwiki?
dandwiki.com/wiki/Dullahan_(Variant)_(5e_Race)
Look at this. You get 4 abilities that are basically class futures. Holy shiet man

No, we aren't mentally deficient.

So I'm playing wizard for the first time and holy shit it's way more involved than cleric. I totally overlooked that fact that you can't prepare every spell on your list and you actually have to seek out and copy spells for your damn book (aside from the 2 you get every level up). Any hints on how I should pick the free spells? Like I read treatmonk's wizard guide but the formatting kind of put me off, I should stick to buff/debuff/control spells with maybe one or two blastin' ones?

Some DMs like to give them the average to fall back on, but I always pick the average anyway, feels kinda petty to beg for free HP.

>dandwiki

If you were on the internet when 3e was a thing you learned about that site then, and also learned it was complete and utter horseshit.

What are the best three cantrips for an undying tomelock to pick up?

Why does he have no lips.

This is a GM call. Some will say "roll or take the average", some will say "roll and take the average or the roll result, whichever is higher", some will; cut out the middleman and say "just take the average" and some will have their own ruling entirely.

Let your GM know that you are interested in collecting more spells. The game isn't exactly flush with practical rewards so anything he can use to better motivate your character into action and/or reward your progress is very useful information to have.

Paaaaiiiinn

A plot this lord is involved in to murder someone

He traded them to a fiend for that sweet mace.

if they aren't taking it in their spell slots, it's because they are not encountering anything that makes preparing it necessary. as a DM, you can change that situation if you want your players to treat it as a useful tool to solve problems rather than a boring chore they have to complete to find the magic in a treasure hoard.

>My warlocks goals
To become a Demon Lord and Ruler of the material plane. Possibly become a God or God like entity eventually.

>My DM goals
make sure the plot progresses naturally and fruitfully and hope the party doesn't piss off an important NPC. So far they have Pissed off one NPC in every major city so far. They have avoided legal trouble and even gained an NPC ally that's now traveling with them, but they dance on the razors edge sometimes.

Its clear as day. It says "or" and means or. You pick either 7 or roll a d12.

>1d12
Monks don't get to 1d12. Martial arts maxes at 1d10 at level 17. It should go up to d12 though.

Imo, you will want shocking grasp or shillelagh for melee situations, guidance to bolster your skill checks, and the third one can vary depending on what you want.

If they can't take a bad roll, don't let em. I'd go so far as to reset all their hp according to average results, if it'll keep the peace.

So, I'll be DMing for the first time soon, after having about half a year experience as a player.
All my players will be new to the game and one of them expressed the desire to play "something similar" to a Mac Nac Feegle from Discworld. I don't mind adding some homebrew flavor to my game so I went ahead and followed a race creation guide I found on here and came up with pic related.
I tried to make the flavor as close to the Pictsies as possible, but I'm not sure if I didn't make the Headbutt feature a little too powerful. Can I get some feedback on it?

Additionally the girl that wants to play the Feegle will be playing a barbarian and I was considering giving the race a +1 damage with melee weapons, considering she will be "small" and won't be able to carry a heavy weapon, so I assume she will have to roll with a 2h longsword. Would that be a better choice than the Headbutt feature?

Huh, so it is. Pattern recognition steers me wrong yet again.

Headbutt is too good, maybe look at minotaur (waterborne adventures UA) if you want a natural weapon or just give them something like the half orc crit feature.
Also learn how dice size progresses please.

I wouldn't give them a flat +1 no, you're already giving them a strength bonus. Maaaaybe a +1 damage to two handed versatile weapons if you really want to encourage that. It's still pretty strong, mind, but just pretend the race isn't really small.

Headbutt does look too good, and the setup is awkward. Frightened, stunned and unconscious have no business being there, certainly. Balance it against a battlemaster maneuver and make it once per short rest.

Don't make an effect that requires a saving throw every time you hit with a particular melee weapon attack. It gets tedious. It's not so bad if you limit it somehow (at minimum, make it a bonus action so you can only do it once per round).

What I might do is give headbutt a bigger damage die, but you take damage equal to half of that dealt to the target.

I might say if they get a 1 they can re-roll but they have to take the new result, just as a mercy. But anything higher than 1 sticks.

Just FYI, 1d6, but not 1, averages 4, and so on. 1d10 but not 1 averages 6, etc. So that's the same average as what the book uses for average.